Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Cascade City?
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:53 pm

Wanderer

I was reading up on some AtB stuff this afternoon instead of working on my paper for school, when I saw this in the back of the book. "FOR HEROES UNLIMITED: *Cascade City, adventure sourcebook by Erick Wujcik- 2002 * Sourcebook for AtB and more" So what is it? Does anybody know?

Post subject: Re: Cascade City?
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:25 am

Hero

I don't have a clue. But I just noticed that you're using the duck from AtB for your avatar. I was the one that requested that, along with the cuscus I'm using, and another one I can't remember...

Oh, and welcome to the insanity!!

8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:11 am

Wanderer

Thanks, I like the duck because he looks hardcore. I am hearing that this book is for Heroes and not AtB.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:52 pm

Supreme Being

If it says Heroes Unlimited it's for Heroes Unlimited. Unfortunately, it was apparently never written, and Hardware Unlimited is in Limbo, but Mutant Underground was eventually released. Mr. Wujcik's been very busy the past couple years and apparently hasn't been able to work on any new Palladium books until just the past couple of months.

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Last edited by Tinker Dragoon on Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:56 pm

Adventurer

He's got to get China 2 under his belt before he would get a solid hold on something like this.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:40 pm

Hero

Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel
i could swear i remember him saying recently (here) that he was still working on it...

What i mean is, this is something he might actually still produce, though it might be a long way off.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:47 am

OLD ONE

mr.phillup wrote:
I was reading up on some AtB stuff this afternoon instead of working on my paper for school, when I saw this in the back of the book. "FOR HEROES UNLIMITED: *Cascade City, adventure sourcebook by Erick Wujcik- 2002 * Sourcebook for AtB and more" So what is it? Does anybody know?

It's something I've been working on for a few years now. I'm not sure when I'll actually finish, but it's my own little chunk of world designed around Heroes Unlimited, built around the idea of each player character being the descendents (or maybe creations) of past generations of heroes. Here's a little flavor piece:

From 'Cascade' - Copyright 2004 Palladium Books

Great Granpa said it would be like this.

Back when I was a kid.

I don't remember the exact words. I just remember how it felt.

I remember standing on the edge of this tall, tall building, with the wind whipping around like a crazy snake, squinting into the setting sun.

Here I am, standing on the roof, standing right on the edge of the roof of the old Mather Building...

How high?

Right below me is the 49th floor, and I walked right by the 13th floor (it still seems odd, still raises the hair on the back of my scalp, since there wasn't a 13th floor listed in the broken elevator). I'm standing on the 50th floor. Figure an average of 20 feet each, since the ceilings are pretty tall on every level, and that works out to... around 1,000 feet. Something like a fifth of a mile up.

Hell of a long way down.

Hard to imagine an old geezer like Great Granpa swinging down, wrapping his grapple around that pole, and hurtling down the line, all the way down...

Back in Great Granpa's day, back in the days when he wrote in this diary, this was the highest place around. From here he could look down on everything.

It must have looked just about the same, looking down at the river, and across into Burnside County. The crooked streets and the odd spires of Brimarrow. Then, as now, Scaliger County is the opposite of Cascade.

Then, as now, the big factory yards of Cascade Motors and CarDee Radio were easy to pick out, but the smoke stacks are quiet now, and it's been decades since they were any more than skeletons of industry.

The warehouses along the river, along the near side of the river, those must have been the same.

I guess I'll have to do some investigating. Find out which of those rotting structures was where Great Granpa tracked down the Jenkins Gang, where he found Doc Moody's laboratory, where the missing body parts of the Vivisector were finally discovered. Some of those buildings might still be there.

Or maybe not. There are a lot of new buildings along the river now. Not to mention the huge new marina, that enormous automated ship-loader they just finished building, and the luxury waterfront condominiums, seven of the twelve towers still in various stages of construction.

The old man told us kids a lot of stories. I'm too young to remember all the details. I just have these images in my head.

Now that he's dead, now that I'm his only heir, I'm trying to put it all together.

I had to figure out the clues. Find the hidden vault. Puzzle out the combination from all the clues based on our family history.

It's mine now. The old man's leather case.

Back from when I was a little kid I remember this case. The way it smelled. The way he smacked me, hard, when he caught me trying to get it open.

It was the only time he ever hit me.

He cried after he hit me. I remember that. He cried and apologized, and said it was only because it was dangerous. That there were things inside that could hurt.

I never saw it again.

Not until yesterday.

Not until I opened up the vault.

I checked my bandages. The long gash along the inside of my left arm, the deep wound under my right eye.

The old man hadn't been kidding. This is one dangerous leather case. Good thing the old springs were a little rusty...

Erick

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:43 am

OLD ONE

Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Interesting piece of work there Erick.

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:40 am

Champion

The Deific NMI wrote:

Dude, that's like saying a man struck by lightning is feeling 'a little under the weather' -- it just doesn't do it justice! :D

I've always found the concept of the Legacy Hero fascinating, though I haven't had the opportunity to play one yet.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that sample of flavor, Erick. Only problem is, like with any small 'free sample' of something tasty I'm drooling for more. :fl:

And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:09 pm

Explorer

I will patiently wait for that book, Erick. It looks really fun and intresting.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:05 pm

Adventurer

That definatly looks like it will be a good book when you get the chance to do it, you sample sure left the palet wanting more.

Aegis :)

"I think you've got the solution Aegis."- Sentinel

"Enjoy the boards instead of trying to make them into your own image!!! "- Maryann

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:16 pm

Supreme Being

Uncle Servo wrote:
The Deific NMI wrote:

Dude, that's like saying a man struck by lightning is feeling 'a little under the weather' -- it just doesn't do it justice! :D

I've always found the concept of the Legacy Hero fascinating, though I haven't had the opportunity to play one yet.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that sample of flavor, Erick. Only problem is, like with any small 'free sample' of something tasty I'm drooling for more. :fl:

Now you know how us Ninjas & Superspies fans feel :p

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:43 am

Champion

Erick, it rocks. I look forward to this.

Ex-Megatokyo Member #3885
First gen Winter Forums
Myers-Briggs ENFP, "Threadkiller"

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:00 am

OLD ONE

macksting wrote:
Erick, it rocks. I look forward to this...

In contrast, here's another kind of flavor piece, something taken from a more formal history of Cascade (and no surprise to anyone who has read 'Road Hogs'):

1924-1931 Cascade Motor Company

"What are those enormous jagged towers of glass and steel?"

Just about everyone who takes the Sleego River Tour asks that question. The simple answer is that they are the remnants of the 800 acre site of the 1930 Cascade World Fair. It was to have been the most spectacular homage to the "Gods of Industry" (the official motto of the show), complete with the futuristic monorail, high-speed pneumatic elevators, and Tesla-inspired broadcast energy. That answer doesn't begin to explain the complexities of the rise and fall of the "Cascadeopolis," the "Olympia of Commerce."

It all started when dame chance made roommates of two young men, Vincent Pickengale and Edward Bekker, in the fateful year of 1902, in merrie old England's Oxford University. Pickengale, of the Dee Family of Burnside County, and Bekker, born to Darrell Family wealth and privilege, took an immediate dislike to each other, a dislike that eventually escalated to formal duel, with each young man intent on the death of the other.

Both came away terribly wounded. Bekker wore his hideous scar for rest of his life, and I can vividly recall how my father, Vincent Pickengale, limped and winced through every humid day.

The real surprise is that they both came away from Oxford as lifelong friends, and as brilliant engineers.

In the face of opposition from both families, they eventually came to form the Cascade Motor Works. Their first show car, the 1923 Cascade Apocalypse, became one of the most desired and sought-after racing automobiles in the world. Building on their initial success they constructed prototype after brilliant prototype, astounding the world with an uninterrupted line of incredible motor vehicles. The 1924 Cascade Enigma, the 1925 Cascade BetaVoltage (first choice of rumrunners and gangsters) the 1926 Cascade DD-Fate and the awesome sixteen cylinder 1928 Cascade Puissance.

The city glittered in the national spotlight. From 1924 to 1929 was a period of true heroism in Cascade County. We even had our own team of crime fighting heroes, with names that still ring in the imagination, names like dark Morbidity, the gorgeous Sweet Justice, the incendiary Cauldron and the mysterious White Raven.

Were it not for the stock market crash of 1929, the company would have likely survived the failure of their first mass market car, the 1929 Cascade SystemSix.

Sadly, it was not to be. Based on the advance prototypes, there are those who say that the Cascade Veedraa and the Cascade Almighty would have been the finest internal combustion engines vehicles ever built. Not only in automobiles, for a few short years Cascade was home to the dynamic CarDee Radio Corporation, Sadamore Vacuum Appliances and hundreds of related industries, its urban growth was spectacular, and its factory system was the envy of the civilized world.

Unfortunately, Cascade's affair with manufacturing prosperity ran smack into national and regional bank failures. The closure of Cascade Motors soon followed (there are those in the city who say that it all could have been saved, if only the Darrell family had been willing to dig a little deeper into their private wealth). Of course, CarDee Radio Corporation, manufacturer of radios, electronics and electrical motors, with their budding network of broadcasting stations, plus a small movie studio, did manage to weather the storm.

The industrial boom, however, was over. And the dream of the showplace of the "Olympia of Commerce" exists only as a sad skeleton of a fairgrounds.

Entry ©1973 James Silas Pickengale, all rights reserved

Copyright 2004, Palladium Books

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:38 am

Champion

Beautiful... This is looking better and better, I mean it. Is this a supplement book for HU, then?

Um, I'm confused, though. And woeful, because I am a Road Hogs fan, and yet I don't seem to recognize the commonality.

First gen Winter Forums

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:45 am

OLD ONE

macksting wrote:
Beautiful... This is looking better and better, I mean it. Is this a supplement book for HU, then?

That's the idea. No date yet, but it's definitely for HU.

macksting wrote:
Um, I'm confused, though. And woeful, because I am a Road Hogs fan, and yet I don't seem to recognize the commonality.

1. I wrote Road Hogs, and the vehicle combat system therein.

2. Hopefully, the vehicles you see mentioned in the piece on Cascade Motors spark some interest.

3. My intention, in the forthcoming book, is to bring some juicy car construction, evaluation and comparison rules into Heroes (for example, how does the 16-cylinder Puissance work in the game)...

Erick

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:35 pm

Hero

Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel
OK, that's just mean.

*cries tears of frustration due to linear temporal existence*

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:09 am

Champion

Oh.

I want. Very much, I want.

First gen Winter Forums

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:08 am

Invisible Pink Unicorn

I awear that when that come out, I'll buy it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:29 am

Champion

Can i preorder now? :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:40 am

Palladin

I'm on board.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha