giant robots as a theme, basic thoughts

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

matt.reed
Wanderer
Comment: wrote several power cat updates for the Rifter, and Cascade
guidesmegaverse.podbean.com

giant robots as a theme, basic thoughts

Unread post by matt.reed »

I was planning on writing up something for giant mecha fun, it won't be a full replacement for Robotech of course, but I want to emulate that mecha feel.

Here's my initial concepts and thoughts

There'll be three basic types of vehicles for players

Vehicles

Starfighters - Victory Viper and all the Gradius games!
- One basic mode (star ship)
- medium power reactor
- dodgy, not as armored
- since it has one mode and is more focused, it gets a fun array of weapons to design, but probably only one heavy weapon

Giant Mecha - Gundams and the like
- Potential to be transforming mecha
- Versatility is their main key, mecha usually have hands, and can manipulate the area, grab firearms, and use melee weapons
- As they fit a more human look, there's less room for a reactor, but the larger plating means medium armor
- larger weaponry is probably summoned in or attached to its back, can always do the combiner thing if built for it

Battleships - No specific examples
- One basic mode (flying battleship)
- Probably crewed, but the player is the captain
- High reactor power, high armor, least dodgy
- multiple avenues of fire, including multiple heavy weapons

Reactors
Reactors provide energy every round, energy is an expendable resource for special system usage. It should be used like PPE, but not for every single weapon firing, that'd get taxing quickly. But say, it may be used for a giant energy beam, or to boost a system in use, or regenerate missiles

Armor
All vehicles will be armored of course, and have their SDC, with the ability to add more. However, damage reduction is the big thrill here. All vehicles will have damage reduction of X amount, so its possible to have situations where light weaponry just can't scratch that battleship.

Special Systems
Multiple scales of robots should be available. With higher levels for having those one of a kind reactors or elements in them that they all seem to have. This includes special abilities that may mimic some super powers.

Damage Taken

Called Shots for the most part are out. There's almost no reason to deal with a called shot with mecha in my experience unless it is a weak spot. Two attacks against the main body generally (but not always) works out better than a single shot against any specific part. In its stead, all robots and vehicles will have a damage threshold. When the vehicle takes enough damage, like say every 100 pts or so, the player rolls to see what area is damaged. It could be superficial, or a primary weapon. Damaged limbs may still function, but a second hit in that location may destroy that limb utterly. Limbs may be able to have redundant systems to help share the load, or even provide an extra 'hit' in that area.

Ampifiers and Nacelles
I love these little things but I don't know how I want them to come into play. My first thought is that there'll be a need for boosters at a certain point, like, you can only have so good of a radio without a booster, or targeting system. Those things may be vital to find cloaked vehicles, or add firepower to shoot down missiles.

Melee combat
Mecha approaching other vehicles in melee, should be dangerous to them. Jets are good at damaging long range foes, but have no specific defense against the mecha swordsman charging in at them, aside from peeling away. Battleships must rely on close defense weapons or allies to deal with melee enemies.

Power Up!
Its a hallmark of giant mecha combat, and there's no reason the victory viper can't do that too. Is it a secondary mode, or something that only gets unleashed with reactor energy? IDK yet

game themes: Man and machine are one, light wings, unlocking potential, the last best hope for humanity

Thoughts?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: giant robots as a theme, basic thoughts

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You should probably look into the Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide. It has the space-/starship construction text.
They have hull types from shuttle & Interceptors--to battleships. Along with Ship's systems military and civilian.

I posted some text about creating hyper-thrusters here---> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=159344 .

And has written up an article to supplement the AU:GG ship construction text.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
matt.reed
Wanderer
Comment: wrote several power cat updates for the Rifter, and Cascade
guidesmegaverse.podbean.com

Unread post by matt.reed »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:You should probably look into the Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide. It has the space-/starship construction text.
They have hull types from shuttle & Interceptors--to battleships. Along with Ship's systems military and civilian.

I posted some text about creating hyper-thrusters here---> https://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=159344 .

And has written up an article to supplement the AU:GG ship construction text.

I will, never occurred to me to look up and see what is already out there. lol, however I do feel that what I want to do is more of a 'heroic' look at the concept most likely,
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I may hav hybridized the Spaceship rules and Robot rules for my biggest, baddest designs
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Battleship example: Yamato from All Star Blazers
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”