Damage During Transformation Reversion

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tearstone
Adventurer

Damage During Transformation Reversion

Unread post by Tearstone »

I'm not sure if this question has been asked. And I'm not really sure how to go through the FAQ's.

I've never seen definitive information on the subject. But if you have a character that has a transformation through a power set such as Empowered, Magic Weapon, Mystically Bestowed, etc and they get into heavy combat. After the fight, when they revert to their normal form which happens:

A.) The normal form receives a ratio of equivalent damage. (Transformed form has 100/200 SDC, and when they revert back they have 15/30 SDC)
B.) Nothing happens, each one is completely separate.
C.) Full damage transfer. You have to heal before you shift back, unless you have a way to soak the damage.
D.) Nothing happens, but when you transform back, the other form is still damaged unless enough time to heal has gone by. (With or without a healing factor.)
E.) Uhhh, that's up to the GM, buddy.

If anybody has any sources for official or semi-official answers I would happily look at that too.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: Damage During Transformation Reversion

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I've gone with D for my games, but I honestly can't say there is an actual official ruling on that that I can remember. I'll try to dig through my books later and see if I can find anything.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

I've always just kept current SDC/HP when returning to normal, adjusting the maximum and instantly healing all damage above their max SDC.
Super SDC/HP returns at the normal rate for the super, even when transformed to their mortal form. All lost SDC/HP are restored to the super form after a good nights sleep.

If the toon attempts to immediately return to powered form, they will find their super SDC/HP still down, though increased by any regeneration/healing during their downtime.

This is a house rule, but one that's worked for near 30 years.

As an example, we have a heavily damaged Captain Magicpants, with 45 of 500 SDC remaining. The Cap'n's mortal form, Holly, has a maximum SDC of 40, so when reverted her SDC will still be at maximum. The cap has been sliced, bitten, and burned by a dragon, but when She reverts to the human form of Holly Hamilton, age 9 (and a half!), Holly hasn't a scratch.
If Holly had the time, she would get a good nights sleep and start fresh in the morning, knowing the Cap would be at full power.

But the Cap didn't have time, as ten minutes later Doctor Badman robs the bank next door! Cap'n 'Pants heals at 1d6 SDC/HP per melee, so 10 minutes is 40 melees, or 4D6x10 restored SDC/HP. A quick dice roll (150) later, the Cap returns to battle with 195 SDC. She may have to be careful.
Last edited by ITWastrel on Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I have special House Rules for this scenario. I always have the character return to normal with no damage in his non-powered self, simply because the transformed self is not him, just a body he adapts. The superpowered being he transforms to heals at an accellerated rate when he is not transformed, meaning the dormant being can regenerate points similar to an APS power (4d6 per ten minutes). That way the character can have to superpowered self healed up by the next encounter. The accellerated healing is not in effect unless the character is not using the superpowered form, meaning they do not always heal at that rate when transformed, unless the powers the character has or their specific power category allows for it.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

Thanks for the answers, folks. ^_^

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I've played with different conclusions for different characters. Look at comic book characters for inspiration. Captain Marvel/Shazam compared to Colossus.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”