Skills Programs Locations

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

side Q: would you allow someone use a MOS from another game as a Skill Program?

Yes
44%
No
33%
What are MOS's?
22%

Total votes: 9

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Skills Programs Locations

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Other than the HU2 Core book and the AU:GG sourcebook, where are they any skill programs for the HU game?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Skills Programs Locations

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I'm not opposed to using an MOS as the basis for a skill program but it would have to be modified to fit with the other skill programs.

I have modified a few of the skill packages from BTS to HU because I have a lot of magic and supernatural in my games.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

The Ninja & Super-Spy skill programs should work. 1E Beyond the Supernatural had skill programs, too. I don't think they were all exactly the same.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Other than the HU2 Core book and the AU:GG sourcebook, where are they any skill programs for the HU game?

The CSPD officers and swat members on page 78 and 79 have what look like unique skill programs due to their training. I imagine a scan of other NPC's could elicit similar findings.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Other than the HU2 Core book and the AU:GG sourcebook, where are they any skill programs for the HU game?

The CSPD officers and swat members on page 78 and 79 have what look like unique skill programs due to their training. I imagine a scan of other NPC's could elicit similar findings.

hummm...the skills I see conform to the normal trade school with one of the SP being the law enforcement SP with a modern weapon SP.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

No, really. What do you mean by MOS?
Method of Skill?
Modus Operandi Singing?
I do not knooow.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

Yukon wrote:No, really. What do you mean by MOS?
Method of Skill?
Modus Operandi Singing?
I do not knooow.

Microsoft Operating System? ;)
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

The only games I can recall using skill programs instead of the stupid, cookie-cutter OCC system are:

HU (both editions)
1st Ed BTS
N&S (both editions)

I know Mystic China uses OCCs in some cases, but it may also use the skill programs as well.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

Doesn't System Failure also use skill programs? Or am I misremembering? It has been a while since I looked at that game. If so, they could be considered (GM willing), as compatible with HU2.

I also find BTS-2 and DR to be useful for the way they handle occupations, as an alternative to the skill program approach. I also like the lore skills and Streetwise: Wierd skill and find them useful for certain types of characters.

Regarding the side question, I don't see a problem with the concept of adapting OCC skills, MOS packages, or any other neatly contained skill suites to HU2, so long is there is some consistency in how they are applied and their availability to the players.
The Megaversal games are meant to be compatible, but not necessarily directly "plug-and-play", so I don't see a problem conceptually. So long as the GM is clear on the how and when, blending elements of multiple games can be a lot of fun.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

SF has "pre-event skills" and "post event skills". The prevent skills described their job skills before the invasion. The post even skills use CCs.

I agree that CCs are too cookie cutter.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”