70s superhero television

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cobalt-Blue
Megaversal® Ambassador

70s superhero television

Unread post by Cobalt-Blue »

First, let me say that I WILL NOT be publishing on here any character builds for characters owned by someone else. That being said, a friend of mine who is a fellow teacher is really stressed out right now and asked me to run something for him, so I decided on the following setting:

Remember all those seventies super hero programs and made for TV? The Adventures of a Certain Man of Steel (Okay this one was a bit earlier, but I'm still using it.) The Amazon Princess who in the second and third seasons worked for a US intelligence agency, A certain web-head that was fought crime in New York City, a wandering gamma ray scientist whose alternate self was accused of murdering him, a certain sorcerer supreme who tried to keep Morgana from taking over a young woman named clea, a certain Egyptian goddess working alongside a boy who traveled the highways and byways of the land. An astronaut who crashed a plane and they made him better than he was before, and his tennis pro fiance who forgot him after she was made better? Well, all of these characters and more exist in this world. HU works perfectly for this setting because the power levels of those shows were limited by the nature of the genre at that time. The characters have been hurled back in time to the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius, Disco, Leisure Suits, and roller skate rinks and get to make a difference in the world. I think I'm genuinely going to enjoy this one.
Who are we?! We're the North Ashwood first string football team and cheering squad! Prepare to get your butts kicked!"

South Ashwood? Nah we wouldn't go there. They have too much of a problem with roving boy-bands having dance offs.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: 70s superhero television

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

You HAVE to throw in a reporter from Chicago who wears a blue suit and a vented straw raffia hat who investigates half this stuff for the Independent News Service.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Was there a question you meant to ask? Or were you just announcing what you plan on running in the near future?

If asking for char ideas....a Rich White Guy who wears green & goes out 'crime fighting' with a tricked out car & gadgets. And an asian sidekick that is waaaaayyyyyyy better at fighting than the RWG that gets to take down the mooks while the RWG fights the Bag Guy (who is most of the time a RWG also) and barely wins his fight. Then takes all the credit.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Only problem with that would be that was in the 60's.

Daniel Stoker
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

reruns....

Oh well

And the remake wasn't till this century.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Cobalt-Blue
Megaversal® Ambassador

Daniel Stoker wrote:You HAVE to throw in a reporter from Chicago who wears a blue suit and a vented straw raffia hat who investigates half this stuff for the Independent News Service.

Daniel Stoker

Trust me, MR. K is in there. (Although he wears a white seersucker suit.)
Who are we?! We're the North Ashwood first string football team and cheering squad! Prepare to get your butts kicked!"

South Ashwood? Nah we wouldn't go there. They have too much of a problem with roving boy-bands having dance offs.
Cobalt-Blue
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tonight's game went really well. I love how easily HU interprets this particular power level. It was almost as if it were made to reflect those shows. They arrived in a certain city known for its crime problems and it's brooding Dark Knight Defender. They end up stopping a certain crown prince of crime from once again robbing the Mayor's New Year's Eve Ball. After they got settled in at both Gotham Academy and Gotham University, the character who is the daughter of a certain English spy who ran around with an umbrella toting agent (she's from the future) got a call from the IADC. There was this pop music flute player, who they believed was implanting both a skill set and a command for young girls who heard him play to steal things for him, including some top secret documents. The team went to one of concerts and discovered that he was a "himbot" using advanced brainwashing techniques to rob and steal for a Doctor Franklin. They stopped him, but not before the youngest member of the team accidentally hit their leader with sub-zero cold blast because he was so short and couldn't see past a certain point on the stage.

The players really seem to enjoy the game and we're looking forward to next week's adventure.
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... HQ_DU_PUuw
The team from left to right: Nemesis, Firecat, Canary Rune (behind Canary) Arctic Fox and Psiren.

Daniel Stoker
Knight

Cobalt-Blue wrote:Trust me, MR. K is in there. (Although he wears a white seersucker suit.)

:ok:

Daniel Stoker
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Cobalt-Blue wrote:Tonight's game went really well. I love how easily HU interprets this particular power level. It was almost as if it were made to reflect those shows.
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... HQ_DU_PUuw
The team from left to right: Nemesis, Firecat, Canary Rune (behind Canary) Arctic Fox and Psiren.

1. HU does "street level" characters perfectly
2. Is that art something you did?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Cobalt-Blue wrote:The Adventures of a Certain Man of Steel
The Amazon Princess who in the second and third seasons worked for a US intelligence agency,
A certain web-head that was fought crime in New York City,
a wandering gamma ray scientist whose alternate self was accused of murdering him,
a certain sorcerer supreme who tried to keep Morgana from taking over a young woman named clea,
a certain Egyptian goddess working alongside a boy who traveled the highways and byways of the land

An astronaut who crashed a plane and they made him better than he was before,
and his tennis pro fiance who forgot him after she was made better?

1st was actually a TV film I think? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strange_(1978_film)

I figure the reference after it is to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shazam!_(TV_series) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secrets_of_Isis ?

I should buy these on DVD some day if I see them, so far only got opportunity to do that for WW.

They definitely have a less-godlike HU feel for sure, I'll give you that.

Was going to ask 'why not Batman' but that was 60s not 70s.
Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

Axelmania wrote:
Cobalt-Blue wrote:The Adventures of a Certain Man of Steel
The Amazon Princess who in the second and third seasons worked for a US intelligence agency,
A certain web-head that was fought crime in New York City,
a wandering gamma ray scientist whose alternate self was accused of murdering him,
a certain sorcerer supreme who tried to keep Morgana from taking over a young woman named clea,
a certain Egyptian goddess working alongside a boy who traveled the highways and byways of the land

An astronaut who crashed a plane and they made him better than he was before,
and his tennis pro fiance who forgot him after she was made better?

1st was actually a TV film I think? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strange_(1978_film)

I figure the reference after it is to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shazam!_(TV_series) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secrets_of_Isis ?

I should buy these on DVD some day if I see them, so far only got opportunity to do that for WW.

They definitely have a less-godlike HU feel for sure, I'll give you that.

Was going to ask 'why not Batman' but that was 60s not 70s.

amazon has the shazam tv series, its incredibly cheesy, but fun for a weekend binge viewing.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

There was The Champions, UFO, Captain Scarlet, James Bond.
80's you have Automan, Knight Rider, and a whole heap of other stuff.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Let's not be remiss & mention a certain red-shirted teen who traveled in an RV with his Uncle, and in times of dire need shouted a mystically-empowered anagram to be transformed into what some would call 'the mightiest mortal'....
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Air Force equivalent 03 male cavern person
A REALLY OLD dude who travels through time in a box that is bigger on the inside.
The Guy who could change into animals
The hidden witch with the mortal husband
Three female spies who work for a dude instead of a national agency
The spy who has a telephone in his shoe
Lots of Gunslingers
A female Jinn
A group of spies who get to hand pick from impossible missions
An alien sent to this world to observe it's culture and the plucky female who lets him live in her attic.
A group of kids and a talking dog who solve crimes
Another group of kids who wear cat themed bodysuits for work but also solve crimes... not in their cat themed bodysuits
An evil genius and his snickering hound
Three kids and their sentient dune buggy
A teenage witch
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Okay that is getting exhausting.
The Gemini Man (invisible man redux)
The Man from Atlantis
Buck Rogers
Jason of Star Command
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Given the nationality of most of the people on this board, I'm surprised no one mentioned a blond afro'd white dude with a red supersuit, and his Spook "handler."
I will admit it was an early 80's TV show.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Yeah, it came out in 1981 so I didn't think it would count for the original question.

Daniel Stoker

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”