For the first time in 30 years, starting up a Heroes Unlimit

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlejandroMaximus
Newb

For the first time in 30 years, starting up a Heroes Unlimit

Unread post by AlejandroMaximus »

Loved HU as a teenager. We played it for hundreds of hours. I tried to get my kids into D&D, but fantasy wasn't really their thing. They love Superheroes though. The problem is, it has been a very long time since I have GM'd a palladium game. The mechanics I can hack through at first, but really its the ideas for a campaign in our local city I wanted to pass by everyone.

It is about 50-100 years into the future. We are going to use our local city so I can say "You are standing on the roof of the London Life building downtown" and every knows what it looks like, and everything that's around it so no tedious description. So far, these are the ideas I have for this future worldusps tracking showbox speed test
Last edited by AlejandroMaximus on Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: For the first time in 30 years, starting up a Heroes Unl

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Sounds like a good start to me, and i hope you have a good time with it.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

So, in your game 50-100 years in the future, in a world with super-powered people and the occasional super-battle, you plan on having your city still be recognizably the same? How will you account for that sort of social and technological stagnation and miraculously still intact architecture?
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

fbdaury wrote:So, in your game 50-100 years in the future, in a world with super-powered people and the occasional super-battle, you plan on having your city still be recognizably the same? How will you account for that sort of social and technological stagnation and miraculously still intact architecture?

*looks at pictures of my town from 50 years ago*

i think he'll account for it with the argument "funding went elsewhere" as is usual.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Orin J. wrote:
fbdaury wrote:So, in your game 50-100 years in the future, in a world with super-powered people and the occasional super-battle, you plan on having your city still be recognizably the same? How will you account for that sort of social and technological stagnation and miraculously still intact architecture?

i think he'll account for it with the argument "funding went elsewhere" as is usual.

In a setting with superhumans of any real power level, if the "funds went elsewhere" then the city won't look the same, it'll look like a smoking wreck in all likelihood due to the proliferation of superhuman combat and the sheer infrastructure damage incurred in such incidents. With access to superhuman powers, super-smart developers, super materials, and advanced technology the only possible way for a city to remain the same for so long a period is a targeted stagnation of development in said city and purposely rebuilding damaged buildings in the exact same shape with the exact same materials that were employed in the past - an endeavour that would likely cost MORE than updating the buildings. Why would any city pay more to look timelocked?
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

fbdaury wrote:
Orin J. wrote:

In a setting with superhumans of any real power level, if the "funds went elsewhere" then the city won't look the same, it'll look like a smoking wreck in all likelihood due to the proliferation of superhuman combat and the sheer infrastructure damage incurred in such incidents. With access to superhuman powers, super-smart developers, super materials, and advanced technology the only possible way for a city to remain the same for so long a period is a targeted stagnation of development in said city and purposely rebuilding damaged buildings in the exact same shape with the exact same materials that were employed in the past - an endeavour that would likely cost MORE than updating the buildings. Why would any city pay more to look timelocked?

lowest bidder wins, lowest bidder is using the cheap materials big cities are getting rid of because of their own improvements? seriously, half my town is still the same buildings from 50-100 years ago and most of those manage to look better than most of the improved parts of town from the last 10 years because those were built to exploit how technology let them build cheaply instead of well. bureaucracy is a lot better at explaining a lack of progress than progress is at overcoming bureaucracy.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”