Interesting question for possible Ideas

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rathorc Lemenger
Hero
Comment: I am the explorer Extreme. Searcher of all things mysterious and interesting. FEAR ME.

Interesting question for possible Ideas

Unread post by Rathorc Lemenger »

I was thinking last night about something. What I was thinking about was how to do a game involving Super Sentai, NOT Power Rangers but what Power Rangers is based off of. How would you folks handle it?

Signed,
Rathorc Lemenger,
President of Lemenger Biologics Unlimited.
I've created a monster.-Taalismn.
Believe in the unbelieveable, and you shall become known to the unknown-Rathorc Lemenger
It is well documented that for every minute you excercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you, at 85 years of age, to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5,000 per month-An anonymous family member of Rathorc Lemenger.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Interesting question for possible Ideas

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Wouldn't this fall under a conversion?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Wouldn't this fall under a conversion?

No more than a general discussion of superheroes and superpowers would be.
Though you have to define what 'Super Sentai' is, first, with regards to general themes, power types and allowances. 'Super Sentai' is really a type of hero fantasy, mainly Japanese, but copied by America(to a degree with the more recent Power Ranger franchises), other Asian countries, and even Australia.
Likewise the related 'Kamen Rider' has spawned a number of imitations, copying a certain formula of costumed freaks heroes and motorcycles as common elements.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Wouldn't this fall under a conversion?

No more than a general discussion of superheroes and superpowers would be.
Though you have to define what 'Super Sentai' is, first, with regards to general themes, power types and allowances. 'Super Sentai' is really a type of hero fantasy, mainly Japanese, but copied by America(to a degree with the more recent Power Ranger franchises), other Asian countries, and even Australia.
Likewise the related 'Kamen Rider' has spawned a number of imitations, copying a certain formula of costumed freaks heroes and motorcycles as common elements.
I think because the OP is asking how to do a specific set of characters that it does, though. I will agree that there have been a lot of characters and powers in the HU books that have been modeled after characters in comics and that the line is blurred, but it is a dangerous line to cross here in the forums.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
foilfodder
Explorer

Unread post by foilfodder »

The problem is the OP asked for other posters to suggest how to do "Super Sentai". It is baiting other users to violate the terms of the forum, whether intentional or not.

Try a more careful phrasing of
"Will anyone help brainstorm ideas for a Heroes Unlimited campaign based on a super-team fighting giant robots/monsters? What books by Palladium would be helpful?"
That should keep anyone from getting their feathers ruffled....

Personally, I don't think HU/Palladium is the game system you want for that style play.
Palladium System F.A.Q.s - viewforum.php?f=44
Find out you've been doing it wrong for years!
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

There are a large number of shows with that notion spanning decades, and there's no need to get so specific that any reasonable person would consider it a conversion. This ain't exactly by the book, but for a group of people whose individual vehicles form a giant robot but details about repairs get handwaved, I'd go with dual class Mega Heroes (Rifter 37) each having a Minor Power limited variant of Techno-Form (PU3) whom together are a Physical Gestalt (PU2) gaining Growth.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

foilfodder wrote:Personally, I don't think HU/Palladium is the game system you want for that style play.
I don't think you can even create the Power Rangers using Heroes Unlimited. They seem to be multiple category characters.
Rathorc Lemenger
Hero
Comment: I am the explorer Extreme. Searcher of all things mysterious and interesting. FEAR ME.

Unread post by Rathorc Lemenger »

About my original post, I was talking about generalizations, NOT conversions. Mainly the ideas behind the Super Sentai Franchise of costumed heroes battling Villians/Monsters of the day and then finishing things up in giant mechs/robots that combined into a single, even larger mech/vehicle.

Signed,
Rathorc Lemenger,
I've created a monster.-Taalismn.
Believe in the unbelieveable, and you shall become known to the unknown-Rathorc Lemenger
It is well documented that for every minute you excercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you, at 85 years of age, to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5,000 per month-An anonymous family member of Rathorc Lemenger.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mystically Bestowed or Physical Training for the individual characters and then Dual class of Robotics and Gestalt for the mecha.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Rathorc Lemenger wrote:I was thinking last night about something. What I was thinking about was how to do a game involving Super Sentai, NOT Power Rangers but what Power Rangers is based off of. How would you folks handle it?

Signed,
Rathorc Lemenger,

Mystically Bestowed, only changed the source to something more appropriate but keep the mechanics.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”