Hyper-Thrusters, want them?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you want text covering the creation of hyper-thrusters?

yes
40%
no
40%
never heard of them
20%
I don't like the other three answwers
No votes
all of the above
No votes

Total votes: 10

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Hyper-Thrusters, want them?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In the Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide there are the skills Pilot civ. hyper-thrusters and pilot mil. hyper -thrusters within the new skills presented withthe book.

Is there anyone here wanting a construction scedual for making your own hyper-thrusters
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Hyper-Thrusters, want them?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I would be OK with rules for making them but not sure what they are. I mean I am assuming we aren't talking about the old Street Hawk TV show so not a super fast motorcycle but what are they?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

Glad you remembered that TV show, I have an idea for that!
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Hyper-Thrusters are multy Mach airospace craft. That can be trans-atmosphereic.

The opening text I've written up....
Galactic Hyper-Thrusters, are small to medium atmospheric and trans-atmospheric aircraft that benefited from starship drive technology. To move passengers and air dominance around a globe in a matter of a few hours. Opposed to taking dozen of hours for the same trip. With the fastest moving at Mach 8 for their top speed, these speed demons that normally cruse in the upper atmosphere at Mach 2 are the domain of the crazy rich and military forces.
The early versions of supersonic transports used chemical fuels to transport the wealthy and well to do. Even so these aircraft ultimately turned out to be too uneconomical. Due to continually increasing fuel costs and that they were banned from flying overland because excessive noise pollution issues.
By the time a polity develops true star drives, the progression of aircraft technology develops to the point that hyper-thrusters become economically feasible again. Along with the introduction of miniaturized drives that can fit into aircraft. The end result are small to medium; the longest topping out at 300 feet long passenger transports; able take those that can afford it from one side of a habitual planet to the other in about 4 hours. Or if built to be trans-atmospheric from ground to awaiting starships or space stations and back. Being able to take off & land vertically lends to their utility by letting the spaceports hyper-thrusters use to be built near or in the metropolitan areas they service.
Most galactic hyper-thrusters use anti-gravity drives as their available as their lift/main drives. There are polities that only have access to reaction drives to be used in their hyper-thrusters and starships. These reaction drives tend to be quickly phased out when anti-gravity drives become available. The type of miniaturized star drives that typically used to power hyper-thrusters are anti-gravity, Matter/Anti-Matter Annihilation, Metallic Hydrogen (typically stabilized), and Traction drives. Plasma drives have been known to be used for hyper-thrusters but are rarer than magic powered hyper-thruster drives.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I'd think plasma drives would be more common than M/A drives....If you regard a plasma thruster inatmo as a nuclear-heated scramjet drawing on atmospheric gas as its reaction mass.
Matter/Anti-Matter you gotta worry about safe containment of your fuel in an emergency situation, and secure handling during refueling operations.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Not really no.
We have enough tech here as it is. Yet another "special tech even better than everything everyone else has" seems like its just a boon to the rich PC.

If I want a Hyper-Thruster for my game I'll cobble up whatever my plot needs. The fact that one of the 30+ piloting skills isn't defined has never been a problem as frankly... there are already so many other options for spaceships that not having yet another one isn't a issue in the slightest.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Enough tech in HU....humm??... maybe there is that problem in the Rifts Gamebooks.

However, my question was not whether or not to write them up. But whether or not people whould like to see what I have already written.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I would like to see what you've written. Not really caring to write anything up for them myself tho.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I would like to see what you've written. Not really caring to write anything up for them myself tho.

Likewise....It's not critical to my gaming, and it's not costing me anything aside from a little time reading, and frankly I'm curious to see what you've come up with, Drewkitty.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”