The War on Drugs

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Explorer
Comment: Eternally Sleepy

The War on Drugs

Unread post by 1970 »

Dr. Karen Indigo is a drug lord in the making. It's what she aspires to. She makes designer drugs that no one has access to. That's because Dr. Indigo is actually an alien working with the Dark Tribunal. Seeking to capitalize on the misery drug addiction causes she's doing her small part to punish mankind. That she's creating an army of junkies is beside the point. Once they're hooked they'll do anything for a fix, and the good Doctor has plenty for them to do.

Recently, a small number of test subjects subjected to her latest concoction had something other than a negative reaction. Something in their DNA mixed with the alien chemicals created super-powered mutants! Some of the less powerful (and fortunate) ended up on a vivisection table to determine what caused these mutations. Imagine a gang of addicted mutants at your beck and call! Unfortunately for the Doctor, some of these mutants escaped to parts unknown. So far they've been one step of her, but with potential spies all over the city they can't remain hidden for long. Or do they want to?

These mutants aren't so naive that they think that simple escape will make them safe, so they've decided to take the fight back to Dr. Indigo. They're steering clear of the secret laboratory they broke out of, but drug dealers and criminal offenders could be associated with her, so everyone is fair game. The War on Drugs is on!
Formless Faceless and Free
Explorer

Re: The War on Drugs

Unread post by 1970 »

As an aside, does anyone know how many ISP a mutant psychic gets?
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

1970 wrote:As an aside, does anyone know how many ISP a mutant psychic gets?

Per the F.A.Q (located at https://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=79254&sid=aa6976f17b5915fa35cf2f389043cd7d#p1834158), they're the same as the Latent Psychic (MEx2 +1D4x10). That applies whether or not they just psychic abilities or mix them with super-powers.

Not sure if you've firmed up the character concepts & their powers yet or not, but based on their origin story as presented & the "experimental" nature of the drugs that gave them their abilities, I would consider limiting them to the mixed abilities (66-75 on d100), Psychic Mutant (76-80 on d100), or Continuous Mutation (81-90 on d100) on their abilities table. Just about any Major power would work for the 1st one, but try to pick powers that cover any weaknesses in their psionics (or for some really fun types, you could give them Gem Powers, Growth, Immortality, etc). For the 2nd option, I would recommend re-rolling any 1s or 2s; that gives them 3 or 4 powers in each minor category (9-12 total, 10-13 including the Super psionic power), & then for the next few levels focus on selecting more Super psionics. For the last option, at 1st & 4th levels they should select a Super psionic power.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Do they need the drugs to maintain their powers or are they just going to be addicted to them?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Explorer

Unread post by 1970 »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Do they need the drugs to maintain their powers or are they just going to be addicted to them?

Daniel Stoker

If I were to go this route, I'd just make them addicted, as I'd probably rule that the mutation has already happened. Taking more of the drug would put them at rusk for further mutation, kind of like the drugs the Creator of the Halcyon Cult in Century Station work.

To be kind of fair to the PCs, I may not have any further side effects (such as addiction) happen at all. The batch of drugs Dr. Indigo created my have been a bust aside from being a random mutagen.
Explorer

Unread post by 1970 »

green.nova343 wrote:

Per the F.A.Q (located at https://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=79254&sid=aa6976f17b5915fa35cf2f389043cd7d#p1834158), they're the same as the Latent Psychic (MEx2 +1D4x10). That applies whether or not they just psychic abilities or mix them with super-powers.

Not sure if you've firmed up the character concepts & their powers yet or not, but based on their origin story as presented & the "experimental" nature of the drugs that gave them their abilities, I would consider limiting them to the mixed abilities (66-75 on d100), Psychic Mutant (76-80 on d100), or Continuous Mutation (81-90 on d100) on their abilities table. Just about any Major power would work for the 1st one, but try to pick powers that cover any weaknesses in their psionics (or for some really fun types, you could give them Gem Powers, Growth, Immortality, etc). For the 2nd option, I would recommend re-rolling any 1s or 2s; that gives them 3 or 4 powers in each minor category (9-12 total, 10-13 including the Super psionic power), & then for the next few levels focus on selecting more Super psionics. For the last option, at 1st & 4th levels they should select a Super psionic power.

Thanks! My edition of HU2 still gives latent psychics MEx2 + 2D4x10 ISP, but only 1D6+1 ISP per level. Did they change that in writing in later printings? Mine is a first print from 98.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

1970 wrote:Dr. Karen Indigo is a drug lord in the making. It's what she aspires to. She makes designer drugs that no one has access to. That's because Dr. Indigo is actually an alien working with the Dark Tribunal. Seeking to capitalize on the misery drug addiction causes she's doing her small part to punish mankind. That she's creating an army of junkies is beside the point. Once they're hooked they'll do anything for a fix, and the good Doctor has plenty for them to do.

Recently, a small number of test subjects subjected to her latest concoction had something other than a negative reaction. Something in their DNA mixed with the alien chemicals created super-powered mutants! Some of the less powerful (and fortunate) ended up on a vivisection table to determine what caused these mutations. Imagine a gang of addicted mutants at your beck and call! Unfortunately for the Doctor, some of these mutants escaped to parts unknown. So far they've been one step of her, but with potential spies all over the city they can't remain hidden for long. Or do they want to?

These mutants aren't so naive that they think that simple escape will make them safe, so they've decided to take the fight back to Dr. Indigo. They're steering clear of the secret laboratory they broke out of, but drug dealers and criminal offenders could be associated with her, so everyone is fair game. The War on Drugs is on!

If you don't mind my asking, punish mankind for what exactly?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Explorer

Unread post by 1970 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
1970 wrote:Dr. Karen Indigo is a drug lord in the making. It's what she aspires to. She makes designer drugs that no one has access to. That's because Dr. Indigo is actually an alien working with the Dark Tribunal. Seeking to capitalize on the misery drug addiction causes she's doing her small part to punish mankind. That she's creating an army of junkies is beside the point. Once they're hooked they'll do anything for a fix, and the good Doctor has plenty for them to do.

If you don't mind my asking, punish mankind for what exactly?

According to Villains Unlimited, the DT Aliens were sent to research and infiltrate Earth. They ultimately determined Earth wasn't suitable for their needs and tried to leave. Unfortunately as they were exiting they flew too low over Pakistan and their ships were shot down by the US Military. Of seven ships, two survived. There was no way to repair the ships, and no one was looking for them, so they're stuck on Earth. Due to the attack and other unspecified troubles, the DT Aliens became enemies of mankind, bent on revenge (VU2 48 - 62).
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Yeah, they're written as being anti-Human in the VU book and can be a fun group to have behind all kinds of plots.

That being said did Century Station ever address why they didn't contact the Blaze to get the heck off the planet?

Daniel Stoker
Explorer

Unread post by 1970 »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Yeah, they're written as being anti-Human in the VU book and can be a fun group to have behind all kinds of plots.

That being said did Century Station ever address why they didn't contact the Blaze to get the heck off the planet?

Daniel Stoker

Maybe they like it here after all. As written, I don't think they'd reintegrate themselves back into polite society very well, as they're all kind of psycho sadists now. Heck, the Grand Inquisitor turns into an irrational lunatic if he doesn't torture a human at least once a week. That'd be an expensive habit back in space. Or maybe they're scared; if Tovuxa can be arrested for helping humanity, what kind of justice would the Dark Tribunal face for doing all the crap they've pulled over the decades?

I know the question was probably rhetorical, but I felt like answering anyway. :D
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

1970 wrote:
green.nova343 wrote:

Thanks! My edition of HU2 still gives latent psychics MEx2 + 2D4x10 ISP, but only 1D6+1 ISP per level. Did they change that in writing in later printings? Mine is a first print from 98.

They probably did, but my PDF version is from an earlier printing as well.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

1970 wrote:Maybe they like it here after all. As written, I don't think they'd reintegrate themselves back into polite society very well, as they're all kind of psycho sadists now. Heck, the Grand Inquisitor turns into an irrational lunatic if he doesn't torture a human at least once a week. That'd be an expensive habit back in space. Or maybe they're scared; if Tovuxa can be arrested for helping humanity, what kind of justice would the Dark Tribunal face for doing all the crap they've pulled over the decades?

I know the question was probably rhetorical, but I felt like answering anyway. :D

Pfft, I'm all in favor of that, but I'd think they'd have some serious issues with more then a few of their members just wanting to get the hell off of Earth.

Daniel Stoker
Explorer

Unread post by 1970 »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Pfft, I'm all in favor of that, but I'd think they'd have some serious issues with more then a few of their members just wanting to get the hell off of Earth.

Daniel Stoker

Yeah, I'm sure they would, but the Divine Master might have something to say about that, and while he loves his fellow DT Aliens, he despises traitors and if he got wind of anyone defecting he's send the Phantom Panther to kill them. Painfully. Besides, as he's loved and admired by his followers, that may keep them on Earth to, if for no other reason, protect him. They might even start a debate over whether or not to go, as they're pretty civilized among themselves, which might be their undoing.

Still, it would make a good story to have a schism with on the Dark Tribunal; Alpha Prime can't protect them all and probably couldn't tell most of them apart from regular humans, especially since they've all been trained to blend in with Earth's population as spies. Also she, as far as I know, doesn't have a ship. That gives the Divine Master even more time to cover his tracks and extract vengeance on the traitors.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

I think you could have a fun game running a splinter group of DT members trying to find a way to contact the heroes and get them to help get them out of the DT and off world since if nothing else even if Alpha Prime doesn't have a ship she should be able to get some sent here... but will it be in time? Tune in next week to find out!

Daniel Stoker

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”