Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:45 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:22 pm
Posts: 402
Location: Oklahoma
The verbiage of mind bolt makes it such that it is a bolt, a ray attack. Bonus to strike. Per page 297 there is no save. Everyone has a chance to defend in some way.

The verbiage is ambiguous as to how a defender may defend themselves. Is it simply a matter of hopping the enemy misses? Or do they get a chance to dodge/parry?

As near as I can tell, there is nothing in the section for psionics about this, nor wording to indicate any form of defensive option. It seems to come down "It just happens, hit or miss."

I checked Rifts: Ultimate Edition as it is the latest version of the 'core' mechanics and it reads the same.

Does anyone know where there is a definitive answer, or is clear as mud and left to GM interpretation?

_________________
Image


If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:07 pm
  

Hero

Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:49 am
Posts: 1338
Tearstone wrote:
The verbiage of mind bolt makes it such that it is a bolt, a ray attack. Bonus to strike. Per page 297 there is no save. Everyone has a chance to defend in some way.

The verbiage is ambiguous as to how a defender may defend themselves. Is it simply a matter of hopping the enemy misses? Or do they get a chance to dodge/parry?

As near as I can tell, there is nothing in the section for psionics about this, nor wording to indicate any form of defensive option. It seems to come down "It just happens, hit or miss."

I checked Rifts: Ultimate Edition as it is the latest version of the 'core' mechanics and it reads the same.

Does anyone know where there is a definitive answer, or is clear as mud and left to GM interpretation?

Look at p. 297 again. It mentions dodging a mind bolt as an example of it being appropriate to allow a parry or dodge to a avoid no save attacks. Let people dodge it.

_________________
Axelmania wrote:
You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:35 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:22 pm
Posts: 402
Location: Oklahoma
Yes, I read that part. "Such as" is an example. A possibility. Not a hard rule, like the law of conservation of momentum.

I personally allow nearly anything to be attempted. However another person in one of my groups is/was uncertain, so I took it upon myself to get a second (third?) opinion.

In the words of Matt Colville - "The rules are not trying to trick you."

_________________
Image


If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:40 pm
Posts: 9481
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Tearstone wrote:
Yes, I read that part. "Such as" is an example. A possibility. Not a hard rule, like the law of conservation of momentum.

I personally allow nearly anything to be attempted. However another person in one of my groups is/was uncertain, so I took it upon myself to get a second (third?) opinion.

In the words of Matt Colville - "The rules are not trying to trick you."

Its not really a question though.
Setting aside the fact that the example clearly states that you can dodge this... the combat section clearly states that you are allowed to dodge attacks unless the attack says otherwise. This is spelled out in the combat order. Roll to strike, followed by the defender getting to roll a defense roll. That means that...wait for it... defenders get a defense roll.
There is no statement that this attack can NOT be dodged, which some attacks do state (making them an exception to the normal rules)
Ergo, RAW you may attempt a dodge.

_________________
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:50 am
  

User avatar
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:12 am
Posts: 3516
Location: Eden Time:Precisely
Er, yeah, Rules As Written it's dodgable at the very least. I'd allow parries if the player had a way to parry energy blasts.

_________________
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:38 am
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:46 pm
Posts: 556
Location: "The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84
lets not forget also that you need a mind to be mind bolted. you cannot use it on a chair. I do not know why.

_________________
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:19 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5392
Weren't there different writeups of the power where one was explicitly invisible and others weren't?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:17 pm
  

User avatar
Virtuoso of Variants

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:18 pm
Posts: 6678
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Axelmania wrote:
Weren't there different writeups of the power where one was explicitly invisible and others weren't?
I've at thlways considered that to be at the discretion of the GM. If it's invisible, you cannot dodge it though.

_________________
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php?title=Main_Page


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group