Mystically Bestowed Variants found in Armageddon Unlimited

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

Mystically Bestowed Variants found in Armageddon Unlimited

Unread post by Razorwing »

Tried looking for a definitive answer for this... both in the books and here in the forums... but I can't seem to find something that proves one way or the other if the Mystically Bestowed variants found in Armageddon Unlimited are Mega-Heroes/Villains.

The main thing that suggests they might be is that they use the Mega-Hero experience table rather than the Mystically Bestowed experience table. They also have various Achilles Heels... vulnerabilities that can be potentially devastating (and while they are similar to those found with the more standard Megas, they are different in subtle but distinct ways). However, these do not prove that these variants are actual Megas (as various power categories share experience tables and have weaknesses to various degrees).

However, there is no mention of that these characters get the standard bonuses for Megas... or access to the Mega Powers such powerful beings would have. Even the Immortal Power Category specifically states that they are Megas and gains the same bonuses as Mega Heroes do. Yes, these variants of the Mystically Bestowed are powerful (especially with their potential for Major and Minor powers... and combinations of magic, psionics and super abilities)... but that alone does not make them Megas (there are some mutants that can potentially reach the same number of Major powers with lucky dice rolls without being a Mega).

I am looking for a definitive answer to this... backed up with a page number that more or less says to the effect "these characters are Megas". Not looking for opinions on whether they "should" be Megas... but proof that they are intended to be Megas or not. Answers that don't provide a reference or proof will be treated as an opinion and ignored (sorry if this is harsh... but I want it clear as to what I am looking for).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Mystically Bestowed Variants found in Armageddon Unlimit

Unread post by eliakon »

Yes and No at the same time
Page 41 wrote: "The variations below should not be combined with the Mega-Hero option as the characters could become unbalanced, plus some aspects of the Mega-Hero have already been incorporated into these specific Mystically Bestowed characters. Note: Do not use any of the stats, powers and bonuses of the Mystically Bestowed found in the Heroes Unlimited [sup]TM[/sup] RPG. Only use those listed in this section of this book.

So no they are not, exactly, Mega-Heroes.. But at the same time nor are they exactly not Mega-Heroes either. They are, as described a unique blend of the two. Which is why, again as described, they follow their own rules which are laid out uniquely in their section. Because at the end of the day they are... Mystic Bestowed: Power from Servitude, which is its own unique power category.

Hopefully that helps.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Yeah, RAW is pretty sucky grey area. Easy to home rule that as recommendation you can ignore, can doesn't mean will after all.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Okay... how did I miss that reference. I am sure I read that... I guess it just didn't quite register when I did. Thanks for the reference... it makes a few ideas I have a little easier to work through as I know where the official rules lay.

Even a normal hero can become unbalanced with the specific power choices... Mega powers can exacerbate such problems if one isn't careful.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Razorwing wrote: Yes, these variants of the Mystically Bestowed are powerful (especially with their potential for Major and Minor powers... and combinations of magic, psionics and super abilities)... but that alone does not make them Megas (there are some mutants that can potentially reach the same number of Major powers with lucky dice rolls without being a Mega).

Well, you are unlikely to get 5 majors at first level unless you go with the Demon lord variant, but other than that, yeah.,..
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”