Aliens unlimited question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Larsen
Adventurer

Aliens unlimited question

Unread post by Larsen »

I do not have this book or the galaxy guide and was more just wondering if these books are conversion books for the rifts dimension books for heroes unlimited, or have their own worlds to play heroes in or something else?
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Aliens unlimited question

Unread post by The Beast »

Larsen wrote:I do not have this book or the galaxy guide and was more just wondering if these books are conversion books for the rifts dimension books for heroes unlimited, or have their own worlds to play heroes in or something else?

They're for playing the alien races in the HU universe. They're written for that setting in mind, not Rifts. You'll need the main HU (either old or new edition) book to create a PC. That said, there are conversion notes that fill in what the conversion book lacks.

Like if the Avengers movies were Heroes Unlimited, Guardians of the Galaxy would be the Aliens Unlimited books. Which would make Rifts the MCU movies, plus the DC ones. And the Xmen. And Star Wars. And Freddy Vs Jason. Okay, and pretty much all the movies is what Rifts would be in this analogy.

So in my example while AU games (GotG) take place in the HU (MCU) universe, most of the time they don't happen on Earth (where all the MCU movies except for the GotG series take place).
Last edited by The Beast on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

So then the aliens unlimited books would be all that was needed for space heroes adventures like the aforementioned guardians or like a lantern corps type setting?
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
The Beast

Larsen wrote:So then the aliens unlimited books would be all that was needed for space heroes adventures like the aforementioned guardians or like a lantern corps type setting?

Well you'd still need the HU2 book for character creation, and maybe the HUGMG. And if you're doing something set in space you'd definitely want the AUGG because it has the best starship construction rules in any Palladium book, plus it expands the AU setting more.
The Beast

I also think there's skills specifically for alien PCs in that book as well.
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

I already have hu2nd ed, but I should look at the gmg in addition to the alien books. But what about the powers books for unique hero/anti-hero/villains? Any other hu books that might help?
The Beast

Larsen wrote:I already have hu2nd ed, but I should look at the gmg in addition to the alien books. But what about the powers books for unique hero/anti-hero/villains? Any other hu books that might help?

The three PU books will add to the available powers you can use. I don't recall anything being alien-specific in them, but I'm sure there's something that could fit (Super Soldier comes to mind). If I were to be in an AU setting game I'd have the following books:

Must haves:
Heroes Unlimited 2nd Ed
Aliens Unlimited
Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide

Highly useful:
Heroes Unlimited Game Master Guide
Powers Unlimited 1
, 2, and 3

Useful for plundering ideas/stuff out of, but not needed for the game:
Phase World books
Manhunters
Mutants in Orbit
Skrapyers
Ninjas & Superspies
Robotech
books
Rifts Bionics Sourcebook (not really sure how much of this is also covered by the HU books though)

Not really needed at all:
Century Station
Gramercy Island
Mutant Underground
Villains Unlimited
Armageddon Unlimited
The Beast

Oh, I forgot to mention there's a few Rifters that might be useful as well, but the only ones I keep track of are the ones with magic in them.

Rifter 10: Space magic.
Rifter 56: Temporal magic.

There are likely other Rifters that have stuff that would be useful to you, but I'm not sure what they'd be.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Aliens Unlimited can be run as its own game, but the HU2 main book does help to resolve some of the game mechanics. I recommend using the Aliens Unlimited books, the HU2 main book and the GMG for spacefaring games.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Larsen wrote:I do not have this book or the galaxy guide and was more just wondering if these books are conversion books for the rifts dimension books for heroes unlimited, or have their own worlds to play heroes in or something else?

Both are ----sourcebooks---- for the HU setting, focused on the >>playing a space game<< in the milkyway galaxy.
While they do have >>rifts conversion notes<< for most of the aliens and for the space-/starship stats, they are not ""conversion books"", because they are HU2 sourcebooks.(see the online store texts for more details.)

The Beast wrote:
Larsen wrote:So then the aliens unlimited books would be all that was needed for space heroes adventures like the aforementioned guardians or like a lantern corps type setting?

Well you'd still need the HU2 book for character creation, and maybe the HUGMG. And if you're doing something set in space you'd definitely want the AUGG because it has the best starship construction rules in any Palladium book, plus it expands the AU setting more.

agrees with beast on the above.
the HU2 MB is still needed for char creation.
And, even thou the star-/spaceship construction text is the best in any PB gamebook, they are still lacking in the mundane ship-systems and have omitted all magical ship-systems. Since there is no TW anything in the HU setting all the magic ships will ether be pure magic of some form of techno magic, (that is not TW.)

Larsen wrote:I already have hu2nd ed, but I should look at the GMG in addition to the alien books. But what about the powers books for unique hero/anti-hero/villains? Any other HU books that might help?

The stinky books (PU1/2/3, stinky is just a pun :wink: ) just have powers.

For already stated out heroes, villeins, and crims AU, GRam. Island, Century Station and VU are the books. You just need to wave the GM wand and change name and race. Otherwise, they are not ""Needed"".

Just remember there are no Character Classes in HU. Their Char Templates are based around the char/s powers so are called Power Categories. Which, Some, are more like outlines to modify to make a char from. Example is the aliens PC. most of the table make broad assumptions about the char being made. Which are not always the details you want for your character.

Nearly all the magic in the rifters can be found in this index..
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=131372
(remember it is an index)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Does anyone know if the official new skill table for Aliens was ever posted anywhere? I know it was left out of the Galaxy Guide.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I will take it that you mean a complete list of skills (because I do know that the AU:GG book does list some new skills in it) and it seams you are not talking about these.

There is no complete list of skills other then what is in the setting's main book. Even with that list it does not include the skills introduced in AU:GG.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I will take it that you mean a complete list of skills (because I do know that the AU:GG book does list some new skills in it) and it seams you are not talking about these.

There is no complete list of skills other then what is in the setting's main book. Even with that list it does not include the skills introduced in AU:GG.

Not exactly, what I mean is the "Expanded Alien Education and Skill Table" that is mentioned on page 190 of the AUGG but was somehow left out of the book. It was intended to replace the education and skills list for Aliens from HU2 page 95.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

For non-ship crew I just use the normal ed tables.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

The Beast wrote:
Larsen wrote:I already have hu2nd ed, but I should look at the gmg in addition to the alien books. But what about the powers books for unique hero/anti-hero/villains? Any other hu books that might help?

The three PU books will add to the available powers you can use. I don't recall anything being alien-specific in them, but I'm sure there's something that could fit (Super Soldier comes to mind). If I were to be in an AU setting game I'd have the following books:

Highly useful:
Heroes Unlimited Game Master Guide
Powers Unlimited 1
, 2, and 3

These are very useful more powers and rulles and such. And the GM guilde has some nice adventure idea's.

Not really needed at all:
Century Station
Gramercy Island
Mutant Underground
Villains Unlimited
Armageddon Unlimited

These are great for plundering idea's from. As well as for the cobbled together setting it gives(if you don't want to make your own or like to twist or take ideas from).
ArU has some interesting variants of the Mystically Bestowed.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”