Bolt-Action, Lever Action, Pump action and break open guns.

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Steinerwan
D-Bee

Bolt-Action, Lever Action, Pump action and break open guns.

Unread post by Steinerwan »

I am curious about the number of actions needed to chamber the next round in the weapons listed in the subject. Lever action and pump action firearms supposedly use only one action to chamber the next round and fire but it takers 2 actions to do the same with a bolt-action rifle or shotgun and nothing has been mentioned about break open single and double barrel guns. Are there any rules that specifically cover these weapons?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Bolt-Action, Lever Action, Pump action and break open gu

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

dirty quick GM ruling answer for bolt, lever and slide actions….
For people with the corresponding WP….no extra actions required.
For people w/o any firearm wp…two actions.

Break actions need one or more APM to reload. (I believe this is a canon answer but I don't remember where the text covering it is. But the place my brain wants to say is in R:JU with the shotgun in the equipment section.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Under the NG-11S in R:JU you basically have a sawed off double barreled 12 gauge shotgun. It says 1 melee round to reload. That seems crazy slow to me.

The NG Super Pistol in the Rifts Ultimate Main Book says it takes a full round to reload, but we are talking a lot more shots.

In the real world I am an experienced clay shooter, but with nerve damage in one hand that gives me very little feeling in my weak hand. That being said, I can shoot both shots, reload and shoot again easily in one "turn" with an over under.

I would say if you have WP: Shotgun, or similar one action to reload a double barrel? AT most one action per barrel?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RockJock wrote:Under the NG-11S in R:JU you basically have a sawed off double barreled 12 gauge shotgun. It says 1 melee round to reload. That seems crazy slow to me.

The NG Super Pistol in the Rifts Ultimate Main Book says it takes a full round to reload, but we are talking a lot more shots.

In the real world I am an experienced clay shooter, but with nerve damage in one hand that gives me very little feeling in my weak hand. That being said, I can shoot both shots, reload and shoot again easily in one "turn" with an over under.

I would say if you have WP: Shotgun, or similar one action to reload a double barrel? AT most one action per barrel?

Are you a L1 skeet shooter or a L7 skeet shooter? or Lxx?
Would you thing someone brand spanking new to shooting skeet would have the same performance level as you?
------
Found the HU rule, it is on page 76. And it says that to reload a doubled barreled shotgun takes 2 APM.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Bolt, Lever and Pump action weapons should all be able to cycle in time for the character to take their next shot as the current rules indicate (nowhere does the state you need an action to cycle these weapons between shots).

Break open weapons need to be reloaded between shots, so the standard reload rules can cover this.

Exceptions can be made for exceptional weapons. For expample, cycling the bolt on a .50 calibre anti-marmalader rifle may take an extra action.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I have no problem with the HU note. I was looking at JU as mentioned and thought the special weapons case was really slow. A melee action to reload each shot is definitely in the realm, not the turn to reload both barrels in JU.

The reloading is why you need a WP, to show the practice involved.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

For what it is worth, Rifts: Dinosaur Swamp lists three different rifles, a bolt-action, pump-action, and breech-loading lever-action. According to that book, the Bolt-action rifle takes two attacks to fire (one to pull the trigger and the next to cycle the bolt). The pump-action rifle can fire and operate the slide in the same attack. The Breech-loading rifle, however, takes THREE attacks (one to pull the trigger, one to open the breech/eject the spent cartridge and reload a new bullet, and the third to close the breech and align the weapon for another shot).

The first two I can agree with, in principle (although I agree with Drewkitty's idea that having the WP should allow the process to take only one attack). But the third, breech-loading rifle, taking three shots to reload a single bullet I find problematic. Especially since a double-barrel shotgun reloads in the same time.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

filo_clarke wrote:But the third, breech-loading rifle, taking three shots to reload a single bullet I find problematic. Especially since a double-barrel shotgun reloads in the same time.
I agree. I think two actions should be more than enough.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Gryphon Chick wrote:
filo_clarke wrote:But the third, breech-loading rifle, taking three shots to reload a single bullet I find problematic. Especially since a double-barrel shotgun reloads in the same time.
I agree. I think two actions should be more than enough.

Any Breach loading weapon be they break open, falling block, or trapdoor should be able to reload in a single action. The exceptions being the drillings and other combination weapons which could take up to two additional actions.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”