Quick question regarding Symbiotic Superheros

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Garath27
D-Bee

Quick question regarding Symbiotic Superheros

Unread post by Garath27 »

My group is about to start a new tabletop Heroes Unlimited game and we are in the midst of creating new characters for it. I opted to try a Symbiotic Superhero from Powers Unlimited 2. Everything was going smoothly until I rolled for super abilities. I rolled the option of "Two Major super abilities and two Minor abilities having to do with machines."

While I could find several Major powers that dealt with machines I could only find 1 minor ability that definitely dealt with machine and two others that I figure loosely fit this category. Those powers being:

Mechanical Awareness (as a definite) and

Radar
Toy Control (as loosely fitting).

Our gm is the type that allows us to pick rather than roll our powers so we can make the kind of character we have in mind and as long as we don't go nuts and make them over powered.

What I am hoping to get here is perhaps a suggested list of other Minor abilities that have to do with machines that I can choose from.

For the record I've chosen as my Major powers: Techno-Form and Machine Merge

Thanks in advance for any help and advice given.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Re: Quick question regarding Symbiotic Superheros

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Clock Control[all computers have clocks in them nowadays, just Y2K them].
Gun Limb(guns are machines).
Healing Factor(nano-repair machines, perhaps only works in Techno-Form)
Frequency Absorbtion(gives you radio/wifi/jamming, though your techno-form might have you covered there).
Mechanical Awareness, gives you all sorts of bonuses fighting machines/guns/etc...
Edit missed you had MA.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I rolled the same character type a few years back, and went a totally different direction, with GM approval. Basically I went with the idea that the symbiote was a form of nanites, and went from there. Think more Jake 2.0 or even Chuck as an idea. Enhanced physical and mental abilities, and even senses and healing abilities based on the idea of mechanical cells. It was fun, and different.

To add to what Sir Spirit listed:

Heightened Sense of Awareness-nanite/computer enhanced
Heightened Sense of Time-nanite/computer enhanced
Heightened Sense of Recall-nanite/computer enhanced
Multi-Tasking-nannite/computer enhanced thought process
Sensory Orbs-Nanites, or little drones that work like the orbs
Criminal Intuition-nanite/computer data to help make the leaps
Body Weapon-formed from nanites
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

I agree with the nanite idea. But also, any form of strength, increased speed or reflexes could be considered mechanical. The symbiote might act as a form of bionics augmentation. Anything you can do with bionics can be done with a mechanical symbiote.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

don't forget extraordinary IQ with mechanical or robotic tendencies, and EE: Electromagnetic pulse
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Gryphon Chick wrote:I agree with the nanite idea. But also, any form of strength, increased speed or reflexes could be considered mechanical. The symbiote might act as a form of bionics augmentation. Anything you can do with bionics can be done with a mechanical symbiote.
It seem to me like the same could be said about Eugenics.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:I agree with the nanite idea. But also, any form of strength, increased speed or reflexes could be considered mechanical. The symbiote might act as a form of bionics augmentation. Anything you can do with bionics can be done with a mechanical symbiote.

But the OP isn't playing eugenics, so not sure that matters.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

But the OP isn't playing eugenics, so not sure that matters.
I'm just saying that a lot of the Eugenics options correspond to powers. You can create a mechanical organ which approximates a eugenics option which then gives you the superpower.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Line Transit arguably qualifies.
RockJock
Knight

I've played a version of Stone Gargoyle's Eugenics approach before, but as a psychic(which works for a symbiote). Instead of basically being a latent psychic the character has nannite based powers. The following are lower level psychics that I could see being of tech/nanite origin: Biomanipulation, Resist Fatigue, Death Trance, Ectoplasmic Disguise, Impervious to Poison, Summon Inner Strength, Resist Hunger, Resist Thirst, Telekinetic Leap, Clairvoyance, Sixth Sense, Intuitive Combat, Speed Reading, Total Recall, and Sense Time. The list wasn't meant to be exhaustive, and can go to Super Psychics as well, with Telemechanics being first on the list.
Garath27
D-Bee

Unread post by Garath27 »

I know its been quite a while since I asked (been rather busy with life lately) but I thought I would pop in and say thanks for all the great replies.

RockJock my gm actually hit me with the Nanite idea as well and with a little work we managed to flesh out my character to mine and his liking.

It revolved around the idea of him being a Mechanical Engineer/Pilot who ending up crashing (in the Amazon) in a small plane he had designed and built. That's where he got the symbiote nanites that built upon a misinterpretation of his mechanical knowledge combined with the plane wreckage and gifted him with:

Techno-Form, Machine Merge as major powers
Mechanical Awareness and Gun Limb for minor powers.

(the nanites thought he had once been some sort of mechanical being they were bringing back to life sort of).

Now he call himself "MechaKnight" (he is Principled in alignment) and I am having a blast playing him.
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Garath27 wrote:I know its been quite a while since I asked (been rather busy with life lately) but I thought I would pop in and say thanks for all the great replies.

RockJock my gm actually hit me with the Nanite idea as well and with a little work we managed to flesh out my character to mine and his liking.

It revolved around the idea of him being a Mechanical Engineer/Pilot who ending up crashing (in the Amazon) in a small plane he had designed and built. That's where he got the symbiote nanites that built upon a misinterpretation of his mechanical knowledge combined with the plane wreckage and gifted him with:

Techno-Form, Machine Merge as major powers
Mechanical Awareness and Gun Limb for minor powers.

(the nanites thought he had once been some sort of mechanical being they were bringing back to life sort of).

Now he call himself "MechaKnight" (he is Principled in alignment) and I am having a blast playing him.

cool and gratz! So is that blast in burst fire or aimed shot?
RockJock
Knight

Sounds like a fun character, and glad you are having a fun game.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”