Natural Combat Ability with Supernatural Strength

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

IronWarrior
D-Bee
Comment: Never give up, never surrender...unless there is food. -stares- Are you gonna eat that?
Location: on the road to Never Never Land or was it Oz. I can never remember.

Natural Combat Ability with Supernatural Strength

Unread post by IronWarrior »

How do you calculate damage from Natural Combat Ability if you have Supernatural Strength? It clearly isn't the same type of damage as the Supernatural Strength chart claims.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Natural Combat Ability with Supernatural Strength

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Use the SN PS damage tables. the other bonuses remain the same.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Part of the reason I wish stuff like NCA would be worded like a bonus or % increase instead of replacement.
IronWarrior
D-Bee
Comment: Never give up, never surrender...unless there is food. -stares- Are you gonna eat that?
Location: on the road to Never Never Land or was it Oz. I can never remember.

Unread post by IronWarrior »

Axelmania wrote:Part of the reason I wish stuff like NCA would be worded like a bonus or % increase instead of replacement.

i agree with you there
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Axelmania wrote:Part of the reason I wish stuff like NCA would be worded like a bonus or % increase instead of replacement.

Why? Natural Combat Ability is about being able to fight without formal training not dealing greater damage that an ordinary person could. All the damages provided are typical of someone trained in combat could do. Only the Power Punch is a non-standard (for Heroes Unlimited) maneuver, but even here it is still within the damage range for anyone trained in combat with a normal level of strength.

Natural Combat Ability doesn't make a person do more damage than someone who has had some formal combat training... it only gives them the ability to fight effectively without any actual Hand to Hand Combat Skill.

I think you are reading more into the power than is actually there.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

It's a problem bigger than NCA. Higher damage reflecting extra training even from normal HTH techniques should have better means of working with the higher base damage punches that supernatural PS provides.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Axelmania wrote:It's a problem bigger than NCA. Higher damage reflecting extra training even from normal HTH techniques should have better means of working with the higher base damage punches that supernatural PS provides.

What training? We are talking about NCA.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

I believe that he is talking about the unique punches and kicks that do more damage than the normal punch that a person could do without training. Such as how a normal punch does 1d4 damage, but someone trained in HtH: Martial Arts can do a Karate Strike that does 2d4 damage because of their training. If a person with SN Strength had a normal punch that now does 4d6 damage.... how does that affect the Karate Strike that would normally double a normal punch's damage? Does he now do 8d6 damage with a Karate Strike or does it just add one die (of the appropriate type, in this case a 1d6) for a SN Karate Strike of 5d6?

Since SN PS already provides a power punch that would do double damage (and cost 2 attacks) doubling the damage of a normal SN punch without increasing the attacks it costs for a Karate Strike seems like a bad idea (who would ever use a power punch when they can do the same damage with a Karate Strike without having to give up an extra attack to do so?). I am of the opinion that the more advanced punches and kicks that some combatants learn as part of their training only add dice to the normal damage. Thus if a normal round house kick does 2d6 damage (as opposed to the 1d6 normally) then a SN Round House would only add an extra die of damage to the character's normal SN kick.

This isn't about strength making the attack more powerful, but rather more effectively using the strength one has. There is only so much damage even a person with SN strength can do that training could improve... but not by as much as some might think.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

When fighting a char with training in those the NCA will have access to those moves/attacks.

I might point out that the SNPS power just lists damages to three different types of punches (R/F/P). I do not see any text that says that the power gives them the ability to use ether a Res.P. or a Power P. (1st HU2 printing) If latter printing says something different….
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”