Supernatural bonuses vs. Supernatural weaknesses

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dread samurai
D-Bee

Supernatural bonuses vs. Supernatural weaknesses

Unread post by dread samurai »

If this question has been answered, please let me know; but here goes:
I rolled up a hero that has the ability to be resistant to fire AND impervious to fire. The thing is, he is also Supernatural with fire as his weakness. How should this be resolved? Does the Supernatural weakness trump everything? Why? Should there be some kind of compromise? Typically the more favorable option goes to the player/character. I'm curious about the rules and peoples opinions. Thanks to all!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Supernatural bonuses vs. Supernatural weaknesses

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Actually, all three appear to be in conflict with each other. So re-rolling everything might be in order.

Or just pick new powers and keep the weakness.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
dread samurai
D-Bee

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Actually, all three appear to be in conflict with each other. So re-rolling everything might be in order.

Or just pick new powers and keep the weakness.

Thanks Drewkitty for your thoughts. I like the, "scorched Earth" approach (re-roll everything). In regards to all three being in conflict, the "fire impervious" wins out over "fire resistance" according to the rules, which makes sense.

I added those basic details so anyone would be able to weigh it out more accurately (without writing several paragraphs).

In my opinion, the, "impervious" should negate the "weakness" (or vice-versa) leaving him neutral to fire. No bonus or weakness.

As I type this, I see your point about re-rolling. That would be a simple way to resolve it; just re-roll the weakness. I would prefer to resolve it within what I rolled. Simply because, that's what I rolled. Fair and square.

The game is so much more interesting when played that way.

I would love to hear back from you... and anyone else reading this!

P.S. I'm in Riverside, Ca.... WHAT!!!!
dread samurai
D-Bee

P.S.S. I can't believe this has not come up before at some point. No one knows of a previous forum or official stance regarding the topic? I've looked but haven't found anything. Re-rolling feels like saying, "we can't figure it out." Thanks again!
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

In general, from what I remember, mega-weakesses override any immunities/resistances.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
dread samurai
D-Bee

Thanks Sir Spirit! I'm cool with that. That's basically how we were doing it anyway. The GM (my brother) made that call; which is his choice of coarse. It felt like he was basing it on how he felt not anything official.

Like I stated earlier, typically the, "tie" goes to the player. And since he had 2 bonuses against fire, he should at least be fire resistant.

I want to add, I'm not looking for an easy out to make my character super, I just like playing what I rolled, fairly.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

While it seems like rerolling is in order, perhaps there is another way.

One of my favorite characters in the DC comics is Martian Manhunter. In many of his incarnations he has a vulnerability to fire... but likewise, fire doesn't actually do much (or any) damage. Much of the time, the vulnerability is only in his mind.

Now... in the case of this character, we could have his vulnerability to fire be more psychological. Yes, he is immune to fire (from his powers), but he had some sort of emotional or psychological trauma related to fire that 1) gives him an intense phobia of fire... or 2) sort of the reverse of Power by Association... where he acts as if Fire weakens him (takes phantom damage from attacks that his mind says hurts him, but doesn't actually do damage... sort of like the damage done by illusions).

Even the weakening a character receives from a weakness to heat (as opposed to actual fire) could be psychological in nature... the character believes it is sapping his strength, thus he subconsciously believes he is weaker than he is.

I am reluctant to rule that a Mega-Weakness to Fire trumps a power that provides Immunity to Fire... especially if it makes sense that such a person should be immune to it. If it is merely a minor power that provides it (and only that ability), then a reroll of that power would be acceptable. However... if it is from a Major Power... like APS: Fire... suddenly being vulnerable to fire would mean using one's own power could be self-harming (you take damage from turning into fire... as if you doused yourself in gasoline and lit a match). In this case... re-rolling the vulnerability may be for the best. Lastly... if immunity to fire is a mere side effect of a major power... like Invulnerability... then the psychological course might make an entertaining idea... he is still technically immune to fire... but he thinks it harms him (and will be rendered unconscious when he "believes" he has taken a lethal amount of phantom damage from fire).

The rules of the game can only take you so far... the best characters I have played and played with tend to go beyond them in creative ways that few tend to think of.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
dread samurai
D-Bee

Razorwing wrote:While it seems like rerolling is in order, perhaps there is another way.

One of my favorite characters in the DC comics is Martian Manhunter. In many of his incarnations he has a vulnerability to fire... but likewise, fire doesn't actually do much (or any) damage. Much of the time, the vulnerability is only in his mind.

Now... in the case of this character, we could have his vulnerability to fire be more psychological. Yes, he is immune to fire (from his powers), but he had some sort of emotional or psychological trauma related to fire that 1) gives him an intense phobia of fire... or 2) sort of the reverse of Power by Association... where he acts as if Fire weakens him (takes phantom damage from attacks that his mind says hurts him, but doesn't actually do damage... sort of like the damage done by illusions).

Even the weakening a character receives from a weakness to heat (as opposed to actual fire) could be psychological in nature... the character believes it is sapping his strength, thus he subconsciously believes he is weaker than he is.

I am reluctant to rule that a Mega-Weakness to Fire trumps a power that provides Immunity to Fire... especially if it makes sense that such a person should be immune to it. If it is merely a minor power that provides it (and only that ability), then a reroll of that power would be acceptable. However... if it is from a Major Power... like APS: Fire... suddenly being vulnerable to fire would mean using one's own power could be self-harming (you take damage from turning into fire... as if you doused yourself in gasoline and lit a match). In this case... re-rolling the vulnerability may be for the best. Lastly... if immunity to fire is a mere side effect of a major power... like Invulnerability... then the psychological course might make an entertaining idea... he is still technically immune to fire... but he thinks it harms him (and will be rendered unconscious when he "believes" he has taken a lethal amount of phantom damage from fire).

The rules of the game can only take you so far... the best characters I have played and played with tend to go beyond them in creative ways that few tend to think of.

Razorwing! That is some real out of the box thinking!! I would love to play the character that way too! He already has a phobia to the sound of bells, adding that would be fun. Fantastic idea!

I think you make another great point about the resistance/immunity being the "side effect" of a power. That's a very credible argument for the weakness to win out above the bonus.

I am impressed!

All these answers (from everyone) have been more than what I expected. Discussing this with other unbiased parties, that have an appreciation and a knowledge of the game is great!!!

Thanks again!

P.S. "Three types of people in the world".... I love it!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”