Questions: Insanity/Addiction, Finite Lifespan, Combat

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hunterrose
Wanderer

Questions: Insanity/Addiction, Finite Lifespan, Combat

Unread post by Hunterrose »

Hey all,
I apologize for the question dump here, but the Search Feature hasn't been working for me so I hope you don't mind if I throw a few questions out to the crowd.

I'm creating a "Chemically Enhanced Super Soldier" Character and wanted to add some features but, I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is.

TICKING CLOCK / POWERS / LIFESPAN
I like the idea of this hero having a finite lifespan and the PU2 PCC Chapter gives examples in terms of years (very similar to the Juicer) but in terms of an episodic super hero adventure this seems a little vague. So, I was wondering if anyone had made up a different way to track his health. I guess I'm thinking of something like PPE or ISP writ large, like: 10,000 lifetime points and once those are used up, you die. So anytime he uses his powers he's hastening his death.
I could make a number up I guess, but I wondered if anyone had come up with a system already. And if so, are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

INSANITY/ADDICTION
For the same character, I was wondering if there were any discussions that dealt with insanity and addiction that were a little more in depth than what the corebook discusses. (I've looked a little at the Imbibe Hero but it doesn't quite do what I want.)

COMBAT CHEAT SHEETS and/or SIMPLIFIED RULES
I know there are lots of discussions on Combat, and I've read through some. But it still feels a little unwieldly.
Does anyone have any simple Character Cheat sheets that they've had success with?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Questions: Insanity/Addiction, Finite Lifespan, Combat

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

The rules in general need clarification in some areas, but they would not become simpler but rather more complex. There are a lot of thing that simply are not explained in any detail.
As for limited life span and insanity, those are best just role played. The likelihood of someone actually playing a character long enough for them to be affected by a shortened life span is not very great.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Thanks for the feedback. As you say, playing the shorter lifespan out in years is unlikely. That's why I was wondering if anyone had house ruled a points system to it.
I did some google searches on the Forum (whats up with forum searches?) and it appears that lifespan discussions (usually in the RIFTS forums related to Juicers) get quite heated. Yikes.

I considered re-posting the question over there since they would have more direct experience with the Juicer rules but now I'm feeling hesitant. LOL.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

The Rifter 37 has a variety of Mega-Hero Options
One for the Mystically Bestowed is a life time 2d6 x 1000 PPE
Now the character doesn't die when the value runs out, but he becomes powerless
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Cool! Thank you for the reference. I'll take a look at that. If I apply that, I'll have to assign a point value to my character's powers usage. But approx 10k is what I was assuming, so I'm glad to know I was on the right track.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

The Juicer Uprising book takes a look at juicer culture and mentality and could be a useful guideline.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

While the default assumption the Chemically enhanced Super Soldier option is that GMs will be keeping at least a rough timeline of how their adventures/campaign progresses... another option for a more episodic gaming style would be to take a page from many episodic television shows... namely that each episode/adventure takes place about a week or two after the last (baring time jumps in or between the adventures... in which case, adjust accordingly).

This means that if each adventure (not gaming sessions) takes place a week after the last... then such a character will have about 26 to 52 adventures a year... and will live for about 7 years... translating to between 182 and 364 adventures before he passes. How many game sessions an adventure may take will vary... and as I said, any major time skips will also adjust this... likely to more manageable numbers.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”