Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Re: We Gots The Skills
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Lakewood, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
gmapprentice wrote:
in response to gc... where are the geology and physics skills? i don't have any books older than the After the Bomb sourcebooks (Road Hogs, Mutants Down Under...) and the skills aren't in there.

That's the problem with the way the skills are strung out between all the different books. I seem to recall the physics skill in Nightbane but I'm not sure.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:17 am

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Lakewood, WA.
If anyone knows where to find the various skill listings, perhaps someone could create an index listing the Palladium skills and what books to find them in. I posted a request for something like that in the All Things Palladium Books area of the forum as well.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:50 am

Adventurer

Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
If anyone knows where to find the various skill listings, perhaps someone could create an index listing the Palladium skills and what books to find them in. I posted a request for something like that in the All Things Palladium Books area of the forum as well.

Here is the response Prysus gave:

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. Unless I'm totally missing the point of what you're asking, such a list should be located in Rifter 0 (the first completely electronic one). Mind you, it's only a list of where to find the skills and their base % plus per level (page 49 to 62). I'm fairly sure Kuseru Satsujin also had a list on his site (without the %) and where to find it, but that was a geocities site and I think those were being taken down (could be wrong). I don't know about the completeness or accuracy of the information, or if it's exactly what you're looking for (neither contains the skill descriptions). Hope that helps and please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:27 am

Knight

Location: Throne Room, Mephisto's Palace, 1 Mephisto Way, Dyval 736282. Now visiting Prince Albert, SK.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm going to put on my Deevil's Advocate hat right now...do we really need all of these separate skills? For law as an example, I could see Basic Law as a secondary skill, with the Scholastic Law skill for those taking it as a skill program. Then have about 8+ specializations for that skill (such as international law, tort/liability law, criminal law, traffic law, etc) (with the character starting with one or two, depending on the character) and the character can either choose an additional area of knowledge OR a percentile increase, to represent new learning, or reinforced/experienced knowledge in that existing skill bracket. I could see the same for other knowledge skills such as Artisan, Writing, Lore, Mechanics, Science, etc. I'd keep physical skills, W.P. skills and Hand to Hand separate (and to some degree, Military and Rogue skills as well), but the purely knowledge based ones have so much crossover knowledge it's hard to justify them as separate skills.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:58 am

OLD ONE

Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:
in response to gc... where are the geology and physics skills? i don't have any books older than the After the Bomb sourcebooks (Road Hogs, Mutants Down Under...) and the skills aren't in there.

That's the problem with the way the skills are strung out between all the different books. I seem to recall the physics skill in Nightbane but I'm not sure.

we can get crazier if we pulled out the skills from the original TMNT books!

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:07 am

Adventurer

Mephisto wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I'm going to put on my Deevil's Advocate hat right now...do we really need all of these separate skills? For law as an example, I could see Basic Law as a secondary skill, with the Scholastic Law skill for those taking it as a skill program. Then have about 8+ specializations for that skill (such as international law, tort/liability law, criminal law, traffic law, etc) (with the character starting with one or two, depending on the character) and the character can either choose an additional area of knowledge OR a percentile increase, to represent new learning, or reinforced/experienced knowledge in that existing skill bracket. I could see the same for other knowledge skills such as Artisan, Writing, Lore, Mechanics, Science, etc. I'd keep physical skills, W.P. skills and Hand to Hand separate (and to some degree, Military and Rogue skills as well), but the purely knowledge based ones have so much crossover knowledge it's hard to justify them as separate skills.

I can see it being done that way, but I think GMs should have the option of doing it either way. I can see Stone Gargoyle's reasoning in having them separate for programs such as Trial Lawyer and Claims Adjustment. Simply adding a percentile increase would not let someone specialize in a specific branch of law.

DeficNMI wrote:
we can get crazier if we pulled out the skills from the original TMNT books!

Bring it.

Someone also recently posted this thread on upgrading existing skills:

http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=107297

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:36 am

Adventurer

Comment: Don't blink!
Dont Even Blink, Blink and you're Dead!
Gryphon Chick wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:
well, here's a thought..

astrophysics is a skill... why not regular physics? or geology, geography, and meteorology? been a while since i actually DID any of that in school, but still....

Palladium already has a physics skill and geology skill in canon (I have all the Palladium skills saved in a file on my computer). Geography and meteorology don't seem to have been covered yet, though.

on the topic of avoiding posting skills that Palladium may already have, Are there any existing Steam Power Engineering or Clockwork engineering skills out there yet?
If not, should they be considered specializations of Mechanical engineering much like SGs Egyptology specialization?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:45 am

Virtuoso of Variants

TrumbachD wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:
well, here's a thought..

astrophysics is a skill... why not regular physics? or geology, geography, and meteorology? been a while since i actually DID any of that in school, but still....

Palladium already has a physics skill and geology skill in canon (I have all the Palladium skills saved in a file on my computer). Geography and meteorology don't seem to have been covered yet, though.

on the topic of avoiding posting skills that Palladium may already have, Are there any existing Steam Power Engineering or Clockwork engineering skills out there yet?
If not, should they be considered specializations of Mechanical engineering much like SGs Egyptology specialization?

No, nothing specifically steampunk is canon in Palladium skills. I suppose you could make them specializations or new skills as desired, but most mechanical skills like mechanical engineering, robot mechanics and weapon engineering would cover it. I guess it depends on how you would want to see it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:53 am

Virtuoso of Variants

Mephisto wrote:

Certain legal skills require prerequisites which are not limited to law. I really see no harm in adding a lot of skills to the options, because that is exactly what they are. If someone wants to use the skills as I have written, so be it, but if they would like it the way you suggest, that would be okay, too. Swimming and S.C.U.B.A. are listed as separate skills, though one is more a specialization, as well as Demolitions, Underwater Demolitions and Demolitions Disposal being a base skill and specializations which are listed as separate skills. As with anything, if you don't like the way I write something up, don't use it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:56 am

Adventurer

Comment: Don't blink!
Dont Even Blink, Blink and you're Dead!
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
TrumbachD wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:
well, here's a thought..

No, nothing specifically steampunk is canon in Palladium skills. I suppose you could make them specializations or new skills as desired, but most mechanical skills like mechanical engineering, robot mechanics and weapon engineering would cover it. I guess it depends on how you would want to see it.

Thanks. I was aware of a New West book but didn't know if it included a steam power skill.
Edit: I agree that a Master List Of All Canon Skills would be a great Idea.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:53 am

Virtuoso of Variants

I don't know if we could get away with posting a list here or not.

Domestic Skills

Bird Watching: Identification of different birds based on size, color, wing shape and eggs. Base Skill: 20%, +4% per level, adds +10% to Ornithology bonus.

Science Skills
Requires Literacy and Basic Math

Ornithology: This is the branch of Zoology focusing on the study of birds, focusing on differentiation of species, nesting habits, migratory patterns, etc. Denotes Specialization. Adds +10% to Zoology rolls related to birds, with a -5% penalty to all other Zoology skill rolls.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Hero

Comment: I've got ideas about almost everything. Got a question? Ask.
alright, stop posting and let me read this!!!!! jeez. remind me never to log off early again.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Hero

...sorry about that.

i can't afford to buy any new books for at least a month because i have to buy college textbooks, and i can't EVER get rifter #0 because our computers are crud. but i REALLY want a list of all the skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dangit!!!!!!!! :( :x does anyone else have this problem????

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:35 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:
...sorry about that.

i can't afford to buy any new books for at least a month because i have to buy college textbooks, and i can't EVER get rifter #0 because our computers are crud. but i REALLY want a list of all the skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dangit!!!!!!!! :( :x does anyone else have this problem????

Trust me, I've been complaining about that for quite some time. We cannot repost materials from books because that is against forum rules, so we would have to get permission to even post an index telling you where to find the skills. If you can find someone with them in a file, you might be able to get them to send you a copy, though Palladium would prefer you used their materials. They really do need a sourcebook of just skills.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Hero

alright then.... i'll just wait for now.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Technical/Legal

Law: Criminal: This body of law deals with assault, violent crimes and murder. The study of this will be either on Criminal Defense or Criminal Prosecution, though it may be taken twice to cover all facets. Requirements: Court Etiquette, Research and Law: Civil Code of Conduct. Base Skill: 25%, +5% per level.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Hero

yet another good one.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:49 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

This was originally designed for my Baker Mage but might be taken as part of the education of a professional chef.

Domestic Skills

Baking: The baker is skilled in knowing how much heat and in what measure ingredients must be added to successfully create tasty dessert items, pastries and other foodstuff. A failed roll means his cake fell, the cookies were burnt or hard, or it just tastes bad. Base Skill: 30%,+5% per level. Adds +15% to the Cook skill.

The next one was designed for my Tailor Mage.

Weapon Proficiencies

W.P. Scissors: +1 to strike with scissors at levels 1, 3, 7, 10 and 13; +1 to parry with scissors at levels 2, 4, 7, 10 and 13; +1 to throw scissors at levels 4, 8 and 12, scissors not designed to be thrown. A typical pair of small scissors inflict 1d4 damage, medium to large inflict 1d6 damage, and large fabric shears do 2d4 damage.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Adventurer

I wonder what other weird Weapon Proficiencies people have come up with... :?:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:26 pm

Adventurer

Voice Training: This is the training of the larynx to reach painful limits to get greater vocal range. Does not get a skill percentage but adds +15% to singing and Imitation and Impersonation skills.

Opera: This is a type of endurance singing performance skill and requires Singing and Voice Training to learn. Base Skill: 25%, plus 5 % per level.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Hero

i had an idea for a Weapon skill, but i don't know how it would work... it's something i saw on tv once... THREE weapons at once. anyone think they can figure out how it would work?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:
i had an idea for a Weapon skill, but i don't know how it would work... it's something i saw on tv once... THREE weapons at once. anyone think they can figure out how it would work?

Juggling covers this, but you might also do it this way:

WP Weapon Balancing: This style of fighting is done by a character balancing a third weapon on two others. The third weapon must be a thrown weapon, with the other two being melee weapons. This allows the character to attack with THREE weapons at once by throwing the balanced weapon and striking with the other two simultaneously.

Penalties:
Lv. 1: -2 Strike with thrown weapon, -1 to Strike and -2 to Parry with the first two weapons.
Lv. 2: -1 Strike with thrown weapon.
Lv. 3: No bonus or penalty to strike with thrown weapon.
Lv. 4: Reduce penalty to Parry with first two weapons to -1.
Lv. 6, 9, and 13: +1 Strike with thrown weapon.
Lv. 15: Eliminate the penalties with the first two weapons.

Last edited by Gryphon Chick on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Hero

not what i had in mind, but that'd work too... my idea is based off the fighting technique of this guy in an anime series... he holds a third sword with his teeth.

as for W.P. Weapon Balancing... i'll try to work on the bonuses and penalties for that.

Penalties: -1 to Strike and -2 to Parry with the first two weapons.
Lv. 1: -2 Strike with thrown weapon. Lv. 2: -1 Strike with thrown weapon. Lv. 3: No bonus or penalty to strike with thrown weapon. Lv. 4: Reduce penalty to Parry with first two weapons to -1. Lv. 6, 9, and 13: +1 Strike with thrown weapon, and at Lv. 15, eliminate the penalties with the first two weapons. That sound good?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:
not what i had in mind, but that'd work too... my idea is based off the fighting technique of this guy in an anime series... he holds a third sword with his teeth.

Not sure if that would actually work, but I kind of understand what they were going for.

gmapprentice wrote:
as for W.P. Weapon Balancing... i'll try to work on the bonuses and penalties for that.

Penalties: -1 to Strike and -2 to Parry with the first two weapons.
Lv. 1: -2 Strike with thrown weapon. Lv. 2: -1 Strike with thrown weapon. Lv. 3: No bonus or penalty to strike with thrown weapon. Lv. 4: Reduce penalty to Parry with first two weapons to -1. Lv. 6, 9, and 13: +1 Strike with thrown weapon, and at Lv. 15, eliminate the penalties with the first two weapons. That sound good?

That works. I'll edit the skill to add this. :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Hero

first off, thanks. second, i'm not sure if my idea would work either.... but that would sure be cool if it did...

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Gryphon Chick wrote:
WP Weapon Balancing: This style of fighting is done by a character balancing a third weapon on two others. The third weapon must be a thrown weapon, with the other two being melee weapons. This allows the character to attack with THREE weapons at once by throwing the balanced weapon and striking with the other two simultaneously.

Penalties:
Lv. 1: -2 Strike with thrown weapon, -1 to Strike and -2 to Parry with the first two weapons.
Lv. 2: -1 Strike with thrown weapon.
Lv. 3: No bonus or penalty to strike with thrown weapon.
Lv. 4: Reduce penalty to Parry with first two weapons to -1.
Lv. 6, 9, and 13: +1 Strike with thrown weapon.
Lv. 15: Eliminate the penalties with the first two weapons.

Sweet!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 pm

Hero

yes, yes it is. now i just need to figure out the other one.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:
yes, yes it is. now i just need to figure out the other one.

Part of the problem would be no reach or control with the third sword, and being so close to the face, it would leave you open to getting an eye gouged out by the enemy.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:23 pm

Hero

good point...

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Knight

Location: Throne Room, Mephisto's Palace, 1 Mephisto Way, Dyval 736282. Now visiting Prince Albert, SK.
gmapprentice wrote:

I know that anime, it's called One Piece, and the fighting style was indeed interesting. But since it's anime, it's not really very practical in the Palladium System.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Hero

that doesen't make the idea less cool.... at least not in my opinion....

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Well, be that as it may, we still need more suggestions for new skills that are applicable to the game, not just a cool idea.

This thread had a number of interesting skills posted by Prysus:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97132&p=1873255&hilit=free+running#p1873255

Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Hero

is there a Dermatology skill in the medical skills in any of the books???

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:07 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:
is there a Dermatology skill in the medical skills in any of the books???

No, but I don't think it needs to be its own skill since that would not really be something that comes up in game. It does, however, inspire this:

Cosmetic Surgeon: This is a specialized area of medical study which focuses on altering bone structure for reconstructing of facial tissue for burn victims and just plain vanity. This would be rolled after a Medical Doctor skill roll when doing reconstructive surgery or as a check during beautification procedures. A failed roll during reconstruction means that while the face might be rebuilt medically, it is still appearing disfigured. Requires: Medical Doctor and Art: Sculpture skills. Base Skill: 50%/40%, plus 5% per level. A doctor trying to rebuild a face without having this skill does so with a -40% penalty.

Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:10 pm

Hero

it says +40% per level. other than that, good job.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:
it says +40% per level. other than that, good job.

It was supposed to read 50%/40%, +5% per level. It is fixed now.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Hero

i see that. as i said, good job on the new skill.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:11 pm

Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:
i see that. as i said, good job on the new skill.

Okay, quit slacking! More skills!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Hero

Yeah, i'll get right on that. :roll: no, i will, i promise... it just seems like almost everything's been done already at one time or another.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:
Yeah, i'll get right on that. :roll: no, i will, i promise... it just seems like almost everything's been done already at one time or another.

Not really, but it is not always easy to think up stuff that is applicable to the game.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Hero

speaking of skills, apparently Ballet has been done.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:
speaking of skills, apparently Ballet has been done.

You mean done as in done by Palladium?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Hero

yes.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:30 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Hmmm, I guess she didn't check first... The Rifter 19 version seems to have better bonuses.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:55 pm

Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Hmmm, I guess she didn't check first... The Rifter 19 version seems to have better bonuses.

Dang it! Rifter 19 isn't official canon, and my skills file doesn't have anything from that issue. I really thought I had done an original skill with Ballet.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Hero

well, you have other original skills... all i have is the three weapons thing.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:02 pm

Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:
well, you have other original skills... all i have is the three weapons thing.

Well, see what you can think up and we can put stats to it. :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:05 pm

Hero

i'll tell you as soon as i think of something.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:14 pm

Hero

what about Graphic Design (computer art)? is that covered by another skill?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:
what about Graphic Design (computer art)? is that covered by another skill?

Not specifically.

Technical Skills

Computer Aided Graphics and Design: This skill involves using computer graphics programs to create commercial artwork, layouts and designs. Requires Computer Operation and Art: Drawing Skills. Skill Base: 30%, +5% per level.