Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Re: We Gots The Skills
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Lakewood, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
gmapprentice wrote:
that looks better.

sorry for saying it seems a bit high, it's just you're basically giving a ton of people the ability to get another, free, superpower. from my perspective.

Except that some would argue Energy Expulsion characters should be able to do that anyways.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:07 pm

Hero

Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"
Posted by Stone Gargoyle
Spoiler:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Super Power Control Skills

These skills can be used by characters with powers related to energy expulsion.

Detect Powers: This allows a character without the ability to scan for superpowers to sense for power signatures like his own. He can scan for powers even when they are not in use, but the exact nature will not be known. Base Skill: 20%, +4% per each additional level.

Energy Attack Precision: This skill represents special training in the use of an energy expulsion power. Gives a +2 to an aimed shot at level one, and an additional +1 at levels 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15. The skill requires the character to be immobile.

Energy Sniping: This allows the character to increase the range of his energy expulsion an additional +10% per melee round, with a maximum of twice the stated range of the power. The skill must be used while the character is immobile.

Soaking: The superbeing can cause his energy powers to soak up the first 20 points of damage from an energy attack. This is useful for characters with no immunity or resistance to energy attacks. A failed roll means the character takes normal damage. Base Skill: 20%, plus 4% per each additional level.
I really liked these skills you've posted as well but, I myself was wondering if Soak should have some kinda mention as to what classes of power are and are not applicable to use this.
And secondly, would you 'consider' (only consider... Im not trying to sound disliking of what you wrote I'm really not, it's great the way it is) dropping the 20 point absorbtion to something smaller but something that also Grows with you per level?

The reason I ask is cuz once you take a skill in PB you can't take it again when next you've got a skill slot as per the rules against doubling up on skill. I like that flexability (and NOT fer power gaming, just fer the fact that it's there if you want it and PB doesn't want it) so if you did this you at least see some growth over time... Even if it was just a little...

Again, not trying tobe a pushy guy and I Do like the ability/skill... I what I wrote is Real something you can ignore... Please do not take my comment as being in disagreement with what you wrote, as I'm not, it's really really is just a question only I had and nothing important.

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Lakewood, WA.
Steeler49er wrote:

I really liked these skills you've posted as well but, I myself was wondering if Soak should have some kinda mention as to what classes of power are and are not applicable to use this.

It is intended for energy powers primarily, to allow the character to absorb other energy expulsion attacks.

Quote:
And secondly, would you 'consider' (only consider... Im not trying to sound disliking of what you wrote I'm really not, it's great the way it is) dropping the 20 point absorbtion to something smaller but something that also Grows with you per level?

It could be reduced to 5 points and grow by that amount per level.

Quote:
The reason I ask is cuz once you take a skill in PB you can't take it again when next you've got a skill slot as per the rules against doubling up on skill. I like that flexability (and NOT fer power gaming, just fer the fact that it's there if you want it and PB doesn't want it) so if you did this you at least see some growth over time... Even if it was just a little...

Yeah, I get it. I was just basing it off Resistance powerswhich typically use 20 points.

Quote:
Again, not trying tobe a pushy guy and I Do like the ability/skill... I what I wrote is Real something you can ignore... Please do not take my comment as being in disagreement with what you wrote, as I'm not, it's really really is just a question only I had and nothing important.

I did not take it that way.

So, if I rework it, it can read as follows:

Soaking: The superbeing can cause his energy expulsion powers to soak up the first 5 points of similar energy damage at level one, plus 5 points per level, from an energy expulsion attack. This is useful for characters with no immunity or resistance to energy expulsion attacks. The type of energy must be the same or similar to the characters own (so no light expulsion characters can absorb darkness attacks or cold, but could absorb fire, electricity,or lasers). A failed roll means the character takes normal damage from the attack. Base Skill: 20%, plus 4% per each additional level.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Adventurer

Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."
I must say that I prefer the revised version of Soaking. Nice work, boys.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:28 am

Hero

Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Steeler49er wrote:
Quote:

I did not take it that way.

So, if I rework it, it can read as follows:

Soaking: The superbeing can cause his energy expulsion powers to soak up the first 5 points of similar energy damage at level one, plus 5 points per level, from an energy expulsion attack. This is useful for characters with no immunity or resistance to energy expulsion attacks. The type of energy must be the same or similar to the characters own (so no light expulsion characters can absorb darkness attacks or cold, but could absorb fire, electricity,or lasers). A failed roll means the character takes normal damage from the attack. Base Skill: 20%, plus 4% per each additional level.

:eek: Gosh dang you're fast at responding...
Thank you fer not getting mad at me :-) , I just didn't wanna come off as a critiquer' (Or however one spells that)... I save that stuff fer movies and comic books... Not fer friends.

This is a nice skill and thank you fer answereing the other question as well, but one last thing, could one combine this with Matter Expulsion powers as well???
Actually don't answere that, it's most likely and therefor overly redundant thing of me to ask...
FIY my key/computer is not letting me see what is is that I'm typing anymore so, now I'm posting blind and have No idea what errors & typos i maty be making...
Sorrry about that :(

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:53 am

Virtuoso of Variants

Steeler49er wrote:
one last thing, could one combine this with Matter Expulsion powers as well???
Actually don't answere that, it's most likely and therefor overly redundant thing of me to ask...

It really isn't designed to do that. These were specifically designed for ENERGY expulsion.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Hero

Comment: I've got ideas about almost everything. Got a question? Ask.
Save-Breaker (Superpower Skill)

A superbeing with a power that requires a saving throw can take this skill to increase the number needed to save against it by one point. Cannot be taken as a secondary skill.

That sound alright?

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:01 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:
Save-Breaker (Superpower Skill)

A superbeing with a power that requires a saving throw can take this skill to increase the number needed to save against it by one point. Cannot be taken as a secondary skill.

That sound alright?

No, you want to decrease the number since you have to roll over it to save.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Hero

i was trying to say it makes it harder for others to save against it... did i not write it properly?

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:45 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:
i was trying to say it makes it harder for others to save against it... did i not write it properly?

No, I just read it wrong. I thought it allowed them to get better saving throws.

Saving Throw: The character gets better at protecting against attacks, and so gets an additional +1 to saving throws at levels 1, 5, 9 and 13.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:01 pm

Hero

alright then.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Comprehension: The character can negate penalties to another skill roll by rolling a comprehension roll. A successful roll will reduce the penalty to a skill roll by 10%. Base Skill: 45%, plus 5% per level of experience.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Hero

i like the skill... seems like we need it by now. my only question is, what skill category would comprehension be in?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:
i like the skill... seems like we need it by now. my only question is, what skill category would comprehension be in?

We can probably just toss it in Technical.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Hero

it seems like a lot of skills just get tossed in technical. oh well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:

That is because they are heavily book related.

Book Learning: This skill reflects an interest in books and study. Adds +5% to all Technical, Science and Medical skills.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:59 am

Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:

Book Learning: This skill reflects an interest in books and study. Adds +5% to all Technical, Science and Medical skills.

I like these. I might have to work up a library studies skill program.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

I had programs to write up as well. Hopefully I will get some up soon. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:07 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

This magic skills thread started up in the Guild of Magic & Psionics:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=108164

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:04 am

OLD ONE

Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
This magic skills thread started up in the Guild of Magic & Psionics:
http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/v ... 9&t=108164

Added to: Heroes Unlimited Creations By The Fans!!! - Redux

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Macksting swote this for N&SS:

Mantisking wrote:
W.P. Claw: This skill includes weapons such as the Japanese Nekode, the Indian Bagh Nakh, and the claws used by the martial artists of the Fu Chiao Pai style. Bonuses: Start with +1 to Parry and Entangle at level one. +1 to Strike at levels 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to Parry at levels 2, 6, 8, 11, and 14. +1 to Entangle at levels 3, 7, 10, 12, and 15.

Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

I will be adding some of these I have permission to into the Black Vault wiki.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Hero

cool.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:50 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

One of these days I will have to get the skill programs I had planned together.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Priest

*Surveying/Map Making(Technical)---This is the art of making the maps and charts that everybody else uses. Practitioners become familiar with surveying techniques, calculating distances, and the instruments of surveying(transects, theodolites, rangefinders, compasses, etc.) The skill percentage is in both producing accurate readings of positioning and in producing accurate and readable maps.
The general skill is in land surveying, but specialization can be taken in oceanic survey and aerial navigation map/chart-making.
Prerequisites: Math Basic and Navigation(area of specialization)
Skill Percentage: 35%+5% per level of experience, +5% if they have Read Sensory Instruments, +5% if an art/drafting/technical drawing skill is taken.

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

WP Stein: The character can attack with a drinking stein as a blunt attack or splash contents into the eyes of an attacker. Bonuses to strike and parry of +1 at levels 1, 4, 8 and 13, bonuses to splash as called strike +1 at levels 3, 6, 9 and 14.

Dragonriding: This includes all winged mounts and includes the basic principles of riding, the care and feeding of the animal, recognizing breed and quality, and diving, charging and jumps. The percentile is used for special maneuvers, and when determining breed and quality. 30%, plus 4% per level. Adds +30% to horsemanship.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Bump.

No interest in this thread lately.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:23 am

Knight

Location: Throne Room, Mephisto's Palace, 1 Mephisto Way, Dyval 736282. Now visiting Prince Albert, SK.
Body Sculptor
Note: must be part of a skill program (can not be a secondary skill) and must include Dieting.

This character spends a lot of time doing very specific exercises designed to make the physical body more pleasurable to look at, with carefully sculpted musculature and good symmetry in the characters body. Similar to body building, but without adding a lot of mass, it involves focusing on muscles with very specific weights and reps, to achieve a natural but beautiful look. It has some additional benefits beside the obvious attractiveness ones.

Character Bonuses:
+1D4+1 to P.B.
+1 to P.S.
+1 to P.P.
+1D4 to Hit Points
+1D4 to S.D.C. at levels one, seven and 12.
+2 to Feats of Strength and Feats of Agility at levels 3, 6, 11 and 14.
+15% to Seduction

Physical Training Note: This is designed more for Agility and Speed characters than Strength and Endurance characters. Consequently, Strength and Endurance characters get a penalty of P.S. being reduced to Extraordinary Strength instead (but the strength score doesn't change; the character is simply less massive than before, but is super ripped and is still pretty hard-hitting). Agility and Speed characters are unaffected.

Further Edit for Strongman: Likewise, this skill is designed for Strength and Endurance characters. Agility and Speed characters get a penalty of -6 to Spd. to account for the characters extra mass and reduced mobility.

On another note, I'm working on special skill sets for Physical Training characters to replace the Special Combat Abilities, in order to make the characters more "athletic" and less purely combat machines.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:26 pm

Adventurer

ZEN posted these to an older thread:

ZEN wrote:
I think some fine control skills would be good additions...

Partial Transformation
For all powers that alter the character's physical structure, this skill allows characters to transform single limbs or other portions of the body.

Morphic Form Mastery
Allows characters who can transform into fluid, plastic or gaseous states to have a finer control over the cohesion, movement and extensibility of the body while transformed.

Fine Control Energy Expulsion
The character has put long hours of practice into limited and maintained emission of generated energy, with a greater degree of fine control. This would allow a character with the power to create and release blasts of fire to form and maintain a blowtorch effect released from one finger (useful for welding and cutting).

Dimensional Control Mastery
Characters able to teleport, distort space, create dimensional rooms, etc. The skill concentrates on extending the range, speed or duration of the power, and increases the accuracy of targeted effects (or navigational rolls).

Matter Creation Mastery
Increases the skill and capacity of the matter creation power, allowing the character to create greater weights of matter, and to create it in artistic or more usefull ways, such as creating sculptured rock in a short amount of time, shaped to look like a specific individual.

Mind over Body
The character has practiced many hours at pushing the maximum limits of the super power, gradually seeing gains in the range and force of the power's effects, though not the powers duration or fine control. (this skill would apply to only one power at a time, but could be selected for multiple powers)

The entire thread can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23002

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Gryphon Chick wrote:
ZEN posted these to an older thread:

ZEN wrote:
I think some fine control skills would be good additions...

Partial Transformation
For all powers that alter the character's physical structure, this skill allows characters to transform single limbs or other portions of the body.

Morphic Form Mastery
Allows characters who can transform into fluid, plastic or gaseous states to have a finer control over the cohesion, movement and extensibility of the body while transformed.

Fine Control Energy Expulsion
The character has put long hours of practice into limited and maintained emission of generated energy, with a greater degree of fine control. This would allow a character with the power to create and release blasts of fire to form and maintain a blowtorch effect released from one finger (useful for welding and cutting).

Dimensional Control Mastery
Characters able to teleport, distort space, create dimensional rooms, etc. The skill concentrates on extending the range, speed or duration of the power, and increases the accuracy of targeted effects (or navigational rolls).

Matter Creation Mastery
Increases the skill and capacity of the matter creation power, allowing the character to create greater weights of matter, and to create it in artistic or more usefull ways, such as creating sculptured rock in a short amount of time, shaped to look like a specific individual.

Mind over Body
The character has practiced many hours at pushing the maximum limits of the super power, gradually seeing gains in the range and force of the power's effects, though not the powers duration or fine control. (this skill would apply to only one power at a time, but could be selected for multiple powers)

The entire thread can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23002

Some of those seem better as power modifiers and not skills per say. Good find, though. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Champion

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:

This is great for Lolz! A mountain man character immediately popped into mind with the skills of Play instrument: Banjo/Mandolin/Dobro/Jug Sing: Bluegrass and HTH: Butt Whuppin'

No disrespect intended

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:

This is great for Lolz! A mountain man character immediately popped into mind with the skills of Play instrument: Banjo/Mandolin/Dobro/Jug Sing: Bluegrass and HTH: Butt Whuppin'

No disrespect intended

:lol: None taken.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Priest

Glassworking(Technical)---The art of working glass, for both industrial and artistic purposes. Trainees of this science learn the fundamentals of glass; the chemistry, different types, and production methods of. Basics of glass-blowing, shaping, and manufacture are also taught. Low-level practitioners can produce basic glass vessels and simple artifacts, while more advanced glassworkers can hand-make high-quality goods and even laboratory-quality glass instruments. In the world of Rifts, glassworking is a highly valued skill outside the industrialized cities, as glassworkers can produce products of great utility and beauty, from drinking vessels and widow panes, to medical pipettes and lightbulbs.
Base Skill: 60 % + 3% per level of experience for basic creation; -20% in the creation of precise(laboratory-quality) or exotic forms.

Lense Making(Technical)----The art of shaping and polishing glass for the manipulation/amplification/focusing of light. Covers lens-grinding, polishing, and mounting for such items as telescopes, reading glasses, magnifying glasses, and microscopes.
Base Skill: 50 % + 3% per level of experience; +5% if Glassworking is also taken. +2% to Communications: Optics if attempting repairs on optical systems.

Sexual Techniques-Advanced(Domestic/Rogue)----This is the study and practice of the arts of sexual pleasure. Practitioners of thiis skill will have extensive knowledge of errogenous zones, sensual massage, aromatherapy, and methods of arousal . More to the point, this skill trains a CONSCIOUS awareness of the process. Successful use of this skill on a person adds a +1d6 to M.A. when dealing with that person again. This skill may be taken multiple times for each humanoid species(so a knowledge of how to turn on a Wulfen accounts as one skill selection, while Vanguard Brawler sex techniques counts as another).
Base Skill: 20% + 2% per level of experience. Adds a +5% to Seduction skill

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Glassworking(Technical)---The art of working glass, for both industrial and artistic purposes. Trainees of this science learn the fundamentals of glass; the chemistry, different types, and production methods of. Basics of glass-blowing, shaping, and manufacture are also taught. Low-level practitioners can produce basic glass vessels and simple artifacts, while more advanced glassworkers can hand-make high-quality goods and even laboratory-quality glass instruments. In the world of Rifts, glassworking is a highly valued skill outside the industrialized cities, as glassworkers can produce products of great utility and beauty, from drinking vessels and widow panes, to medical pipettes and lightbulbs.
Base Skill: 60 % + 3% per level of experience for basic creation; -20% in the creation of precise(laboratory-quality) or exotic forms.

Lense Making(Technical)----The art of shaping and polishing glass for the manipulation/amplification/focusing of light. Covers lens-grinding, polishing, and mounting for such items as telescopes, reading glasses, magnifying glasses, and microscopes.
Base Skill: 50 % + 3% per level of experience; +5% if Glassworking is also taken. +2% to Communications: Optics if attempting repairs on optical systems.

Sexual Techniques-Advanced(Domestic/Rogue)----This is the study and practice of the arts of sexual pleasure. Practitioners of thiis skill will have extensive knowledge of errogenous zones, sensual massage, aromatherapy, and methods of arousal . More to the point, this skill trains a CONSCIOUS awareness of the process. Successful use of this skill on a person adds a +1d6 to M.A. when dealing with that person again. This skill may be taken multiple times for each humanoid species(so a knowledge of how to turn on a Wulfen accounts as one skill selection, while Vanguard Brawler sex techniques counts as another).
Base Skill: 20% + 2% per level of experience. Adds a +5% to Seduction skill

Nice ones!

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Priest

Thanks..... :-D

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:00 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

I'd like to find a skiing skill but don't know enough about skiing to write it myself. Anyone want to try it?

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:55 pm

OLD ONE

Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
I'd like to find a skiing skill but don't know enough about skiing to write it myself. Anyone want to try it?

There isn't a skiing skill in Rifts: Canada??

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

There isn't a skiing skill in Rifts: Canada??

I will have to check with my friend who has that book. I was not aware there was one.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:45 am

Champion

Regarding that WP Claws, that was actually Mantisking. Confuses the hell out of me when I see our handles side by side, but there's buggerall to do about it.
The bonuses seem to fit N&SS form, which differs from (for example) TMNT & Other Strangeness form. Por exemplo:

In Ninjas & Superspies (by Erick Wucjik), at level 5, 10 and 15 in WP Chain a character will have the following bonuses:
Level 5 wrote:
+3 to Strike, +1 to Parry, +0 to Throw, +3 to Entangle

Level 10 wrote:
+4 S, +3 P, +1 T, +4 E

Level 15 wrote:
+6 S, +4 P, +2 T, +5 Entangle

Whereas in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Evidence that I'm Old (also by Erick Wujcik):
Level 5 wrote:
+2 to Strike, +1 to Parry, and who gets bonuses to entangle for goodness sakes?

Level 10 wrote:
+3 S, +2 P, and an ambiguous typographical error

Level 15 wrote:
+3 S, +2 P, and no change

If I had an HU2 book on hand (and why the heck am I posting here then?) I could tell you which one's closer to HU2's weapon system. Suffice to say, though, that N&SS skill percentages and weapon proficiencies are going to be potentially a touch different.

Edit: *clears throat* Uh, anyway, believe it or not if I'd been designing WP Claws for N&SS, I'd've assumed first off that Claws count as Forked weapons, which have a WP already, and my main gripe woulda been the lack of damage dice. If it strikes anybody as weird that WP Claws should have a bonus to Throw them, well... that's N&SS for you. All the WPs have a throw bonus. It's how I knew I didn't write that one. Breaching system standards, even unstated ones, is sort of a anathema to me. A bit pathological about it, really.

Ex-Megatokyo Member #3885
First gen Winter Forums
Myers-Briggs ENFP, "Threadkiller"

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

My apologies, macksting. The entry has been corrected.
Thank you for your thoughts and clarification of the skill and the differences between settings. I appreciate your addressing of the issue, since many people may not be aware of it. There are significant differences in the material for skills from setting to setting, and sometimes multiple versions of skills in the same setting which cover basically the same thing.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: What if the Hokey Pokey really *is* what it's all about?
I was gonna do a "makeup" skill but GC covered it quite nicely!

It also inspired this:
Makeup Artist - This is the ability to make other people look completely different. Carefull use of latex prostetics, wigs, makeup, contact lenses, costuming, ect., the artist can make the subject appear older, or even change their racial appearence! This process usually takes hours to complete, requiring the subject to remain mostly still for the duration. These changes are typicaly uncomfortable, and don't stand up well to prolonged or vigorus use. For a more permanent change this skill may add +10% to any applicabe medical skill (such as plastic surgery) at GMs discretion. However each skill must still be rolled seperately (once to create the prostetics, and once to do the surgery). Standard surgical recovery times apply.
The user may also apply this process to themselves, but at half proficiency. However a bonus is added for any assistance they may have. +10% for trained assistance, +5% for untrained assistance.
A successfull skill will add +20% to disguise & acting.
Base skill 40% +5% per level.

Also, just a simple skill list, name only, plus what book it is in, should be made. As long as you don't give away any substantial info (like percentages) it should be fine. Just an index so those looking for a particular skill can easily see if its already included in Palladiums vast collection.

And another thing, Why has this topic not been stickied yet?!?!

"N" is for no survivors!

2 things I've learned from the Internet
1. Star Trek + anything = Awesome
2. LEGOs can do anything

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:43 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

A skill list appears in the Rifter #0, available for purchase and download.
This thread has been added to the "By The Fans" thread, but too many topics that could be stickied exist for Nimmy to sticky them all.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:54 pm

Champion

Nothing to worry about, really. If anything, I imagine Mantisking would be more concerned about the misattribution than I would. As stated, the numbers he used added up to a reasonable analogue to other WPs in the setting, so I have to assume omitting Throw was a conscious decision; in short, he put some work into that skill. We just have different styles, it seems!
Of course, sometimes the differences in a skill go well beyond the differences between two Palladium games. If you happen to have the After the Bomb books Mutants in Avalon and Mutants Down Under, check out the differences between their versions of WP Axe. Crazy. Worse yet, both versions serve a purpose, so you can't just throw one away, can ya.

While I'd diverted the topic:
TrumbachD wrote:
I started another thread regarding the fact that PF has skills for the Medieval Era and HU has Skills for the 20th century. But I'm not aware of any game covering the Not-Inconsiderable interval between those two periods. :x

I tried to read through the 5-page thread about this, but couldn't get through. There's a few skills in Transdimensional TMNT which might be helpful, you see, but I can't be sure it hasn't been mentioned here between page 2 or 3 and now.

Horse: Teamster/Wagoner would be useful until it was entirely outcompeted by other forms of shipping.
Horse: Blacksmith would be useful even up to modern day. There's always demand for a ferrier. Seems to confer broad ironworking capabilities, thank goodness.
Language: Latin. Oft a language of the educated since the fall of the Roman Empire. Only recently has fallen out of favor.
WPs for any number of black powder weapons. This period of history, between medieval and modern, covers the development of the gun almost in its entirety.* As such, the guns represented in this swath of time vary greatly from one to the next, and the skills of using one may not be the same as the skills of using another.
Note: Wujcik's version of "WP Black Powder" as a general skill provided no bonuses; it simply removed all penalties and conferred a very basic proficiency with all the myriad black powder weapons. However, this differs from the version he wrote in Ninjas & Superspies, which may be more appropriate to a superhero setting, so I recommend that one.

Mutants in Avalon covers an interesting set of skills, some of them quite medieval, but some of them more recent. Mostly, I offer:
Heraldry and Protocol. Beyond etiquette, this skills is all about identifying somebody by a coat of arms. Useful until communication improved.
Steam Mechanics. Bam. There ya go.

Older games may feature older settings and scenarios. More of the world was "primitive" in this time period, and more of the "primitive" world was running into more of the civilizations which were expanding their empires with the cunning use of flags. Mutants of the Yucatan covers some of the weapons and problems oldskool explorers would run into. Bear in mind, the Age of Exploration mostly is beyond the medieval period, so it'll cover a good many of these encounters. (Before that, it was all about the Moors and all that jazz.)
Jungle Survival. Not just a Wilderness Survival for the jungle, this skill also confers the ability to know where the hell you're going. Expect to hire a guide if you don't have it. It's hard to get lost if you can't get more than five feet in.
Prepare Jungle Poison covers the crafting and power of a given jungle poison, though bear in mind this is in a post-Apocalyptic game full of minor superheroes. Take the numbers or leave them as you please. It does mean it should be properly balanced for HU, though.
Snake Doctor Medicine. An oldskool medical skill, admittedly one which only seems to cover tropical diseases and poisons. Niche, but it's a skill you'd find in the time period among the right people.
WPs for Yucatan-style bows, poison dart blowpipes (just another blowgun, as far as I can tell) and WP Machete, which specifically confers a percentage-based skill at hacking your way through dense jungle. Probably the first skill a newcomer's gonna pick up.

For at least sixty years, the difference between Computer Programming and Mechanical Engineering was probably a blurry line. Oldskool programming would differ from modern programming; you may well have been stuck in binary, for all I know, since punch card based computers (thank you, Ada Lovelace) and gear-shifting-based computers (thank you, Vannaver Bush) were state of the art for part of this time. Useful machines, especially in banking and calculus apparently.
Ninjas & Superspies covers a few skills useful in unusual places.
Cryptography gives rules for cyphers and codebook based codes. The latter? Until WWII, you're pretty hosed, but it's good plot points.
Gardening. The skill of growing food.
Botany. Okay, this is everywhere else, too. Hard to find a Palladium book which doesn't cover botany. Even so, quite handy in the right places.
Calligraphy. Like "Language: Latin" above, I mention it just because if you're the right social class, you can't afford not to have it.
Radio: Basic. Just pointing out that it'd be handy post-Morse.

Here's an odd one. Heliographs. Military signalling devices which are a hinged mirror assembly. H. G. Wells describes one carried between horses in War of the Worlds. I imagine there's a knack to it, but I'm again bringing it up just for atmosphere.

Well, that's all I've got just now.

* This is not coincidence. Gary Gygax brought up interesting points about a certain incompatibility of guns and old medieval sensibilities in one of his later, non-D&D books.

First gen Winter Forums

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Champion

*grumbles as he finds Mutants Down Under finally*
Pilot Lighter-Than-Air Vehicles. Before we had airplanes, we had these.
Aboriginal Medicine. If your characters will be visiting settler-days Australia, these may be some of the best doctors you'll find. Given western medicine at the time, they may be some of the best doctors you'll find anywhere.
Australian Nature Lore. Useless anywhere else. I've never visited the Outback proper, though I may on my next trip just to say I've done it. Apparently, estimating the distances between objects is very difficult in that land.
As long as I've included that, I may as well throw in Songlines. Bring a tape recorder.

Wikipedia holds that most of our Australian words are from the Eora language group, native around what would become Sydney. How handy is that?

First gen Winter Forums

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:17 pm

Priest

W.P. Tongs---Skill in the combat use of hinged, twin-pronged/tined utensils and tools, such as salad tongs, fireplace pincers, and blacksmithing tongs. Practice emphasizes using the shafts to parry, the hinged function to entangle and pin an opponent’s limbs or weapons, and in sharp quick pincing movements with the prongs. Typically does 1d4 damage on a ‘snap nip’, 1d6 on a side-slap/bludgeon for heavy metal tongs, 1 point damage/1d4 respectively for plastic salad tongs. +1 to strike at levels 1, 4, and 12, +1 to parry at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 12, +1 to disarm/entangle at levels 2, 4, 8, 10, and 12, +1 snap-nip attack at levels 3, 6, and 9.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

For that matter we need Sledding-related skills...Bobsled, Luge(snow and road), and Toboggan...
After all, it would be painful to be a high-level commando who figures it would be a good idea to get all his men and equipment to the bottom of a mountain/glacier by sending them down on sleds...only to break every bone in his body sledding into a tree.... :-D

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:34 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
W.P. Tongs---Skill in the combat use of hinged, twin-pronged/tined utensils and tools, such as salad tongs, fireplace pincers, and blacksmithing tongs. Practice emphasizes using the shafts to parry, the hinged function to entangle and pin an opponent’s limbs or weapons, and in sharp quick pincing movements with the prongs. Typically does 1d4 damage on a ‘snap nip’, 1d6 on a side-slap/bludgeon for heavy metal tongs, 1 point damage/1d4 respectively for plastic salad tongs. +1 to strike at levels 1, 4, and 12, +1 to parry at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 12, +1 to disarm/entangle at levels 2, 4, 8, 10, and 12, +1 snap-nip attack at levels 3, 6, and 9.

Nicely done.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Priest

We need a W.P. Chainsaws now...Any ideas?
I figure we can slip WeedWhackers and power hedge-trimmers in there as well...less damage, but easier to maneuver/handle...

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
I figure we can slip WeedWhackers and power hedge-trimmers in there as well...less damage, but easier to maneuver/handle...

It would be a modern WP with melee aspects, and much harder to control than a sword.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:38 am

Champion

taalismn wrote:

To know bonuses for this would have been great back in the day when I played TMNT. I once had a mutant kangaroo who after a time traveling trip brought back 2 black and decker plasma bladed fusion powered hypersonic hedge trimmers. It was the craziest paired weapon I could think of. Oh the corpses of unlucky npc's that followed is the stuff of legend.

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol: