Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Re: We Gots The Skills
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Hero

True, however I couldn't think of a better name for the skill.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Hero

For splicers how about bio-technology engerning!
This skill allows people to actually make bio-technology!
Base chance of success is 34 + IQ +6% per level.
Not sure if this has been done before though, if it has ever been done before I appologize in advance.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:19 pm

Priest

abe wrote:
For splicers how about bio-technology engerning!
This skill allows people to actually make bio-technology!
Base chance of success is 34 + IQ +6% per level.
Not sure if this has been done before though, if it has ever been done before I appologize in advance.

Abe, there's entire CHARACTER CLASSES devoted to engineering biotech. and part of the grimdark setting is that the real experts in coming up with new biotech creations do so by essentially giving up their humanity. Biotech of the Splicer type is NOT something you just whip up in a convenient kitchen sink. I also believe there are equivalent skills in After the Bomb and the Y2K game setting(for Eggheads). And finally there's Animal Husbandry and Breed Dogs for those wanting the old tried and true, if time-consuming gradual, means of breeding desired traits into animals.
Enjoy your new job at Ingen, and remember; lean FAR over the experiment pen.

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Bartending (Mixology): Knowledge and skill in in proper preparing and presentation of (mostly alcoholic) beverages, including mixing or preparing a wide variety of cocktails, shots, and other such concoctions. A bartending roll failure means the beverage is not mixed or prepared properly (watered down, too much head, wrong proportions, or, in some layered and similar beverages, completely ruined). Base skill: 40%/35% +5% per level of experience. The first percentage is for knowledge of regarding a particular requested beverage, the second percentage is for preparation. This skills receives a +5% if Chemistry is also know, +5% if Brewing is also known. This skill also provides a +3 bonus to Perception when judging someone's age by their appearance, and +10% to recognizing forgery (or base 40%) applied only to fake IDs.

Bartending, Advanced (Flair Bartending): The trained skill of entertaining clientele, patrons, and/or audiences with with the exhibition of tricks, balancing, and manual manipulation of liquor bottles, cocktail shakers, and other bar tools, combined with mixing, preparing, and serving beverages. Prerequisites: This skill requires that one already has both the Bartending and Juggling skills. Base Skill: 20% +4% per level of experience. This skill receives a +5% bonus from palming, a +5% bonus from sleight-of-hand, and +1% bonus for every P.P. attribute point over 20 to a maximum of +10%. Stage Magicians gain a special +15% to this skill should they acquire it.

EDIT: These would fall under the Domestic skill category.

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Priest

Not so sure about the second one; I'd group it under the already existing Juggling skill; you just like/practice juggling with glass, and bowling down the bar counter isn't so far fetched from some of the sidereal tricks of professional jugglers.

Admittedly you beat me to Mixology, which I had finished, but apparently never posted, possibly because I thought it had already been done, or because I saw it as a subset of Cooking.

Compare and decide:

Mixology(Domestic)
Skill in the mixing and concoction of alcoholic drinks. Arguably a subset of the Cooking skill, Mixology teaches the properties, flavors, and characteristics of various alcoholic beverages and their accessories with regards to combining and serving. It also teaches a comprehensive knowledge of various cocktails and liqours. Taken twice for professional grade denotes professional bartender-qualification.
Base Skill: 35% + 5% per level of experience
Bonuses: +5% if the Chemistry skill is also taken, for concocting particularly exotic drinks through advanced processes(like chilling with liquid nitrogen or the like).

I rather like yours beter, although I'm a bit iffy on the 'Tell Age', but since the overall skill is 'Bartending', I'm inclined to let that one squeak by.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:23 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

I initially thought to just add a blurb about combining with the Juggling skill for flair bartending, but doing a bit of research, and watching some videos, it seems to me to go beyond juggling, the real skill level is almost stage magician with bartending being the 'gimmick', but since stage magician is a power category (or category of skills in some books), not a single skill that is partially why I went the way I did. The other reason is because 'day to day' flair bartending, and competition/featured performance flair bartending have differences, which would be represented by taking the additional skills of palming, performance, etc., or combining with the Stage Magician power category.

That said, an alternative way I thought about it would be 'Mixology' being one skill, and actual 'Bartending' being another, with taking Bartending a second time to get flair. This breakdown would have the drink knowledge/prep as the former, and then various tropes such as 'bartender is your therapist' and 'the bartender knows and hears everything' as the second, but it fell apart fast, so I went this way.

The 'tell age' aspect is there mainly to represent that this skill is a move towards a career, not as a 'second job' or the such. I have noticed a world of difference between career bartenders, and those who man the bar part time or while in school, etc.
Though it might be an idea to have the 'tell age' only be available if one takes the skill twice for pro level.

As for your version of Mixology it also works well. I will leave it to others to decide :)

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:01 pm

Priest

Explained that way, it does seem to work, since you're investing three skill slots to be a really GOOD bartender...

But yeah, 'bartender psychology', IMHO, would be best handled by having a high MA that the character could apply to calming somebody down, assisted by application of drinks.
Because if the character actually has the Psychology skill and lacks MA (or good Perception), it could get ugly fast..."Have you maybe considered that all your problems stem from your constant denial that you still have issues regarding your mother?", or 'You're going to have to face it; you're a self-absorbed venal ******...."(roll to dodge).

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Dungeon Crawler

i was looking for a thread like this but when i didn't find one i made my own, i don't know HU specific details really so they were made over the years to reflect rifts and some are still works in progress (there was more too but i haven't found them all again yet) and of course some are now replaced by skills from the books that did not exist yet at the time i made them but kept them in the list anyway

some were to help boost the non physical stats like the physical skills often do for the physical ones

Domestic
Chess: 30%+5% per level
teaches the basic rules of chess such as how the pieces move (including tricks like castling) etc
(if selected twice the skill grants a +10% bonus, advanced strategy's and a +1 IQ)

Espionage
Assassination study:
desensitization to the pain of others, there is no desire to hurt a person just a lack of empathy which can be unsettling to people
+ME 1d4+1 , interrogation +10%, intimidate (but not trust) +10% or a base 20%, WP Concealed
requires hand-to-hand assassin

Military
War Games: simulated warfare either internally with a town or city's own milita/army or often as a practice event with other friendly cities/towns (or even merc companies) exposes people to the rigors of war in a controlled setting
+1 ME, +1 MA, +1 PE

Physical
Kama Sutra: this.. skill, can be learned from multiple sources, either an actual kama sutra, but often picked up from extensive viewing of pre-rift DVD's or magazines , or just experience, can seem suave and sure of themselves as a result
+1 MA, + 1 PP, +1 PE and a 55%+5% per level chance to please

(i'm sure hand to hand could probably fill a thread on it's own and i have misplaced the skills for each level of the following but i have them and some others written down ...somewhere lol)

Hand-to-hand: Brawler ( a system with little finesse and a lot of grappling/bone breaking)

Hand-to-hand: Point manipulation (focused on high strike bonuses, little damage, and pressure point striking)

Hand-to-hand: Gun Kata (...yes, i went there, but the name was just a place holder)

Hand-to-hand: HEMA (historical european martial arts)

hand-to-hand: capoeira

Rogue
Kama Sutra (same as physical skill)

Science
Extensive research: a willingness to devote extra time to study and refine their skills
+1 IQ, +10% to any skill Requires literacy

Field Research: use and observation in a practical setting provide a +10% bonus to any skill, +1 to any attribute (except PB)
can not be selected until at least level 2

Metallurgy: at the basic level the skill allows someone to run and operate a foundry, create/identify alloy's, and shape metal 36%+4% per level +can handle greater temperatures up to 40 degrees C without feeling uncomfortable
requires Chemistry, and basic math
-----------at more advanced levels they can create MD alloys, reduce the thickness and weight of MD slabs by up to 20% with no reduction in MDC, can smelt "full size" MDC slabs using cheap SDC materials for 25% with no ill effect
requires chemistry analytical, literacy

Geology: the study of rocks, minerals, and land formations
identify rocks/gems 40%+5% per level
locate specific minerals and gems by studying the topography 35%+ 3% per level
gives + 10% land navigation +5% mining (before official mining skill)
requires literacy

Technical
Farming: basic knowledge of seasons, what crops to plant and when so they will be ready by harvest time, understanding of the benefits to crop rotation, acreage of land needed per person, irrigation and pest control (grants the skill to use pesticides but to make them requires chemistry)
35%+5% per level +10% preserve food, + 5% skin and prepare animal hides

Under sea Farming: basic understanding of which plant and animal life is edible, spawning seasons, how to identify and treat certain parasites (of fish/marine animals only) this skill focuses more on maintaining the eco system as intact as possible since any inhabitants of an under sea biosphere ar limited in other options +40%+5% per level +10% preserve food +5% pilot submersible vehicle

Basic Study/ General Knowledge: someone who learns a little of everything without specializing in one subject
+1 IQ, +1 ME, +1% to all skills

Field research (same as science skill)

Mining: general mining knowledge, mine safety both archaic and modern (bringing a canary into the mine, but also seismology readers etc) how to pace ones self while swinging a heavy pick axe, how to look for signs of a collapse, and how to follow an ore vein/identify more precious materials in raw form 46%+4% per level +1d4 PS, +1d4 PE, -1d6 HP (yes negative for the health conditions)

Gem Cutting: the skill required to size, cut, buff, polish, facet, and set gems into jewelry, a good clear cut can increase the gem value by 2d4 x 100 credits, a failure means a chip or bad cut, to fix it requires recutting reducing the size and value of the gem by 5% the skill is also used to make fine jewelry like rings, necklaces etc, out of precious metals
base skill 20%+4% per level +1 ME, +1 PP

Lore: Human, this works just like any lore but is restricted to being selected by non human races

Lore: Modern History (golden age) can identify pre-rift items and the basic understanding of their function (they may not know how to operate it but will have an idea of what it was used for) as well as general knowledge of what life was like and what people did (a golden age buff can often find themselves on retainer to regal important people with stories of the golden age, or to authenticate artifacts, or to try locating golden age stockpiles)
base skill 30%+5% per lv

WP
WP: Concealed, training and use in a variety of concealed weapons (IE weapons that do not seem to be weapons), umbrella guns, razor sharp video disc's, rings with poison tipped needles etc that focus more on stealth than attacking outright

without this skill concealed weapons are at a -3 to strike due to their odd nature, lack of gun sights, sometimes poor balance
etc with the WP the negative is removed and gets the following bonus
+5% prowl +1 initiative if the first attack is with a concealed weapon (even in face to face combat it is not expected)
+3 to strike at lv 3
+1 parry at lv 5
can use parry, dodge, or strike bonus (whichever is higher) to roll a strike at lv 8
+2 entangle (can attack as a free action once per melee, if a prowl check is made the attack goes un-noticed) lv 10
+1 strike, +1 parry at lv 12
+1 parry reduce prowl penalties if any by 10%

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:44 pm

Priest

"Assassination Study" would be best served these days by dropping the WP Concealed, as it effectively bundles two skills as one. I approve of the rest, given that I created a 'desensitization' skill (though for hardening people against the supernatural). Still, I can see this skill as something like that forcefed to the protagonist in 'Old Boy'.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:02 am

Knight

Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
I disagree with the no bonus to trust.
A "good" assassin should be able to get close to his target without raising any flags. Training in The ability of how to make your target trust you would be part of the program I would think.

It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Monk

PSI-Lence wrote:

Hand-to-hand: Point manipulation (focused on high strike bonuses, little damage, and pressure point striking)
The Martial Art From of this is in N&S

Hand-to-hand: Gun Kata (...yes, i went there, but the name was just a place holder)
The Martial Art From of this is in Rifter 7

The Martial Art From of this is in Rifter 3 or 7.

Science
Extensive research: a willingness to devote extra time to study and refine their skills
This is covered by the Research skill and by the rifter's Go Mental article.

Metallurgy: at the basic level the skill allows someone to run and operate a foundry, create/identify alloy's, and shape metal 36%+4% per level +can handle greater temperatures up to 40 degrees C without feeling uncomfortable
-----------at more advanced levels they can create MD alloys, reduce the thickness and weight of MD slabs by up to 20% with no reduction in MDC, can smelt "full size" MDC slabs using cheap SDC materials for 25% with no ill effect
This is covered by the Hardware and ancient weapons masters power cats, template skills.

Basic Study/ General Knowledge: someone who learns a little of everything without specializing in one subject
Covered by the Go Mental Rifter article

Lore: Human, this works just like any lore but is restricted to being selected by non human races.
Covered by Lore: Aliens when taken by extraterrestrials.

Lore: Modern History (golden age) can identify pre-rift items and the basic understanding of their function (they may not know how to operate it but will have an idea of what it was used for) as well as general knowledge of what life was like and what people did (a golden age buff can often find themselves on retainer to regal important people with stories of the golden age, or to authenticate artifacts, or to try locating golden age stockpiles)
base skill 30%+5% per lv
Does not apply to the HU setting but would apply to both Rifts and Chaos Earth.

WP
WP: Concealed, training and use in a variety of concealed weapons (IE weapons that do not seem to be weapons), umbrella guns, razor sharp video disc's, rings with poison tipped needles etc that focus more on stealth than attacking outright

without this skill concealed weapons are at a -3 to strike due to their odd nature, lack of gun sights, sometimes poor balance
+5% prowl +1 initiative if the first attack is with a concealed weapon (even in face to face combat it is not expected)
+3 to strike at lv 3
+1 parry at lv 5
can use parry, dodge, or strike bonus (whichever is higher) to roll a strike at lv 8
+2 entangle (can attack as a free action once per melee, if a prowl check is made the attack goes un-noticed) lv 10
This should only negate any negatives for using "Gadget" Weapons that hardware chars would make. And any bonuses should be gained from the WP the weapons are otherwise associated with.

My inserted comments are highlighted blue.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Dungeon Crawler

taalismn wrote:
"Assassination Study" would be best served these days by dropping the WP Concealed, as it effectively bundles two skills as one. I approve of the rest, given that I created a 'desensitization' skill (though for hardening people against the supernatural). Still, I can see this skill as something like that forcefed to the protagonist in 'Old Boy'.

i think i probably did that one around juicer uprising which also adds WP deadball, if you took deadball physical skill and it seemed likely to be included to me

i re-posted the list of skills here before reading through all of them i do see some have already been done too but i figured i'd leave the post up (fyi a few pages back you posted yo-yo and you were right, it was posted before, back on page 3 4th from the bottom lol, but multiple takes on skills are good)

Damian Magecraft wrote:
A "good" assassin should be able to get close to his target without raising any flags. Training in The ability of how to make your target trust you would be part of the program I would think.

true, but i was going more for the "gives off a creepy vibe" type thing but really both bonuses would work fine...hmm thinking of creepy vibe...

Medical:
Mortician: gives the skills to prepare a body for burial, such as draining the blood and replacing it with formaldehyde, dressing the body without the clothing looking wrong, natural make up skills to make them look more 'alive', methods to prevent a 'sunken look' 40%+5% per level +5% to any medical skills +5% sewing (-10% for CSI/forensics to identify a body as being dressed after death if a mortician skill check is made)

Taxidermy: the method which animals are preserved for trophy keeping, how to stuff the animal, select the proper glass eyes, and how to mount or pose it naturally 35%+5% per level +5% sewing +5% art

Rogue:
Homeopathy: a specialized form of a conman, homeopathy entails the selling of treatments for various types of illnesses, both physical and mental, someone skilled in homeopathy may recognize the symptoms of an illness enough to make a visual diagnosis of real illnesses (for recognizing sick people that are not forthcoming about it), but can also fast talk people into thinking they are sick and that common aches and pains are symptoms of something worse.
mostly just a placebo some will use "potions" that can temporarily alleviate various symptoms (sugar and caffeine to alleviate fatigue, alcohol for minor aches and depression etc)
25%+5% per level +5% streetwise +5% ID undercover agent +5% for any (medical diagnosis only)

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:36 pm

Priest

Damian Magecraft wrote:

Seduction, Public Speaking, Performance, and a naturally high MA should help in this regard.
Heck, the whole original basis of Ludicrous Magery was get close to the target...and that can be very hard if your target has a natural(and understandable) fear of clowns....

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
PSI-Lence wrote:

Science

This is covered by the Hardware and ancient weapons masters power cats, template skills.

Lore: Human, this works just like any lore but is restricted to being selected by non human races.

base skill 30%+5% per lv

WP

+3 to strike at lv 3
+1 parry at lv 5
This should only negate any negatives for using "Gadget" Weapons that hardware chars would make. And any bonuses should be gained from the WP the weapons are otherwise associated with.

no idea where half of that comes from ("ancient weapons masters power cats"? should that be cast or actually cats?) but none of the skills have anything but rifts in mind, but for some reason the home made skills are posted here and not a general thread so "template skills" (whatever they are) are disregarded by me

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:13 pm

Monk

power cat.= power category.
I am spelling challenged and the word category is a trouble spot so I shorten it.

This is in the Heros Unlimited forum.

In PFRPG, metallurgy would be covered by the blacksmithing skill and in rifts it would might be covered by the mechanical engineering skill.*shrugs*

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Hero

For those that have a good sense of smell how about smell indeification?
it could add 25% to indifying smells, maybe?

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:29 pm

Monk

abe wrote:
For those that have a good sense of smell how about smell indeification?
it could add 25% to indifying smells, maybe?

I would just go with what is stated in the exceptional sense of smell power cut in half, and would be applicable to cooking and other skills that having a good sense of smell is a good thing.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:03 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
PSI-Lence wrote:

Science

base skill 30%+5% per lv

WP

+3 to strike at lv 3
+1 parry at lv 5

Just to add:
Chess: Rifter 19, ‘Go Mental’ article (a ‘’megaversal” article) has Strategy Games “such as Chess, Backgammon, Go, etc.”

Hand-to-hand: Point manipulation: An Espionage skill "Vital Points" and a "WP Vital Points" both already exist as skills. (Splicers and Rifter 12 respectively)

Geology: This skill already exists in Rifts Manhunter and Rifter 19

Farming: Lore: Farming exists in PFRPG Book 3

Under sea Farming: Undersea Farming exists in Rifts World Book 32

Mining: Mining exists in Mutants in Orbit, BTS2, Chaos Earth, RUE, Rifts GMG, and Dead Reign

Lore: Modern History: History: Pre Rifts and History: Earth are both skills that already exist.

Additionally Rifter 12 has further Assassin related skills including Fast Talking, Blind Fighting, Listening & Awareness, and Backstab.

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:07 am

Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
power cat.= power category.
I am spelling challenged and the word category is a trouble spot so I shorten it.

This is in the Heros Unlimited forum.

In PFRPG, metallurgy would be covered by the blacksmithing skill and in rifts it would might be covered by the mechanical engineering skill.*shrugs*

yes this is the HU forums, as i mentioned myself when i started a skill thread elsewhere i was directed here instead

there is no even with a very lose interpretation that mechanical engineer would bestow the skills to run a foundry (make one if they had the blueprints? yes. make molds? possibly. know which metals create which alloys and in which quantities, what temperatures are required, how to safely pour and form, and work molten steel? not a chance. it's certainly further apart that pilot automobile and pilot motorcycle are and they are different skills

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:37 pm

Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

I'd allow it only if the character also had chemistry(with the understanding that the character is focusing on metals, and not organic chemistry), and even then it would be a tough set of rolls if the character is trying for making, say, specialized alloys from scratch. Ideally, I WOULD ask that they have a specific metallurgical skill if they were cooking up new alloys(or MDC alloys).

Blacksmithing skills would, I think not be able to make the more exotic materials, like titanium alloys, but would be able to handle iron, basic steel, and other common metals from available (and mostly pure) stocks. Smelting aluminum, though, and other more complicated processes, I'd think would be beyond Blacksmithing.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:50 am

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

I'd allow it only if the character also had chemistry(with the understanding that the character is focusing on metals, and not organic chemistry), and even then it would be a tough set of rolls if the character is trying for making, say, specialized alloys from scratch. Ideally, I WOULD ask that they have a specific metallurgical skill if they were cooking up new alloys(or MDC alloys).

Blacksmithing skills would, I think not be able to make the more exotic materials, like titanium alloys, but would be able to handle iron, basic steel, and other common metals from available (and mostly pure) stocks. Smelting aluminum, though, and other more complicated processes, I'd think would be beyond Blacksmithing.
Agreed. Complex and exotic alloys would require a special skill.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:06 am

Palladin

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Metallurgy and Chemistry aren't really related, so requiring someone have Chemistry skill to do metallurgical work is actually requiring a skill that doesn't have anything to actually do with what you're using it for. Blacksmithing would actually be more appropriate because that's where the beginnings of metallurgical studies start.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:31 pm

Priest

I'd argue that modern industrial metallurgy owes as much to classic Blacksmithing as modern industrial food processing owes to home Cooking.
There may be some basic concepts shared, but technology has changed the field.

But IMHO, ideally, a modern metallurgist should have a skill package that includes blacksmithing(with regards to knowing the basics about smelting, shaping, tempering, and rolling metals), chemistry(with regards to the properties of alloys and other chemical additives, and especially when dealing with more exotic metal refinement techniques, including electrical ones) and mathematics .

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:58 pm

Palladin

taalismn wrote:
I'd argue that modern industrial metallurgy owes as much to classic Blacksmithing as modern industrial food processing owes to home Cooking.
There may be some basic concepts shared, but technology has changed the field.

But IMHO, ideally, a modern metallurgist should have a skill package that includes blacksmithing(with regards to knowing the basics about smelting, shaping, tempering, and rolling metals), chemistry(with regards to the properties of alloys and other chemical additives, and especially when dealing with more exotic metal refinement techniques, including electrical ones) and mathematics .

Modern metallurgy still has nothing to do with chemistry, chemical reactions have nothing to do with how metal alloys come about. They are entirely different fields.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:37 pm

Priest

I'll concede that classic metallurgy may not, and that in many modern metallurgist job requirements, degrees in chemistry are preferred and NOT required, but for the well-rounded metallurgist/materials engineer, there's just as many requirement descriptions that encourage chemical engineering knowledge/experience.

Anyways, the farther you get from the early days of iron and steel and into the age of composites and designer materials, the more the distinctions are going to blur. Next !

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:30 pm

Priest

Hydrology(Science/Technical)----This is the (general) study of waterflow patterns, either on the surface or underground. Trained hydrologists can spot evidence of past water presence in a landscape from the presence of sedimentary deposits, and can make educated predictions on the presence of water, its amounts, and likely flow and flow rate patterns, making the drilling of wells and siting of construction with relation to water easier. Hydrologists can also calculate necessary slope and pressure information for building canals, dams, aquaducts, fountains and other water-related projects. Other useful applications of this skill include predicting the spread of buried/subsurface contaminants through watertables, and monitoring the quality of water sources.
Prerequisites: Geology, Basic Math. .
Bonuses: +10% to Architecture and water-related construction skills/projects.
Base Skill: 40 % + 5% per level of experience
(Finding Water)30 % + 3% per level of experience

Oceanic Hydrology can be taken as a specialty by taking this skill again along with the Oceanographic Surveying skill; this skill specialization gives a +8% to Underwater Navigation with regards to finding(or avoiding) currents, gulf streams, and useful aspects such as thermoclines or fresh water ‘blooms’(which can adversely affect bouyancy). Oceanic Hydrology also gives a +5% to Meteorology skill rolls with regards to predicting the effects of water phenomenon on weather patterns(like El Nino currents).

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:15 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
taalismn wrote:
Hydrology(Science/Technical)----This is the (general) study of waterflow patterns, either on the surface or underground. Trained hydrologists can spot evidence of past water presence in a landscape from the presence of sedimentary deposits, and can make educated predictions on the presence of water, its amounts, and likely flow and flow rate patterns, making the drilling of wells and siting of construction with relation to water easier. Hydrologists can also calculate necessary slope and pressure information for building canals, dams, aquaducts, fountains and other water-related projects. Other useful applications of this skill include predicting the spread of buried/subsurface contaminants through watertables, and monitoring the quality of water sources.
Prerequisites: Geology, Basic Math. .
Bonuses: +10% to Architecture and water-related construction skills/projects.
Base Skill: 40 % + 5% per level of experience
(Finding Water)30 % + 3% per level of experience

Oceanic Hydrology can be taken as a specialty by taking this skill again along with the Oceanographic Surveying skill; this skill specialization gives a +8% to Underwater Navigation with regards to finding(or avoiding) currents, gulf streams, and useful aspects such as thermoclines or fresh water ‘blooms’(which can adversely affect bouyancy). Oceanic Hydrology also gives a +5% to Meteorology skill rolls with regards to predicting the effects of water phenomenon on weather patterns(like El Nino currents).
Cool.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:05 am

Hero

Related to smell indeification, taste indeification!
A good way to inditify poisons/foods! +12% to cook and +3% to any skill involving poison.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:55 pm

Priest

abe wrote:
Related to smell indeification, taste indeification!
A good way to inditify poisons/foods! +12% to cook and +3% to any skill involving poison.

Ah, no...while a person might want to be able to identify different tastes by exposure, a serious interest in any of those fields would be better served by taking specific skills like Use & Recognize Poison(which would teach the tastes of various poisons and how to mask them), Holistic Medicine(which teaches one how to recognize natural poisons), or the fan skill Lore: Poison. Any other applications of taste-testing I would consider to be colorful anecdotal applications of an existing skill, like a chemist being able to identify nontoxic chemicals by tasting a sample of them(frankly, though, tasting ANYTHING you don't know what it is, is stupid and foolhardy), or a geologist licking a rock sample.
And 'any skill involving poison' is worded too vaguely. Does that mean I get a bonus to my Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Warfare skill if I'm planning on nerve-gassing somebody, because I know how the less harmful constituents of Sarin taste?

And spellcheck, please!

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:08 am

Explorer

Hello,

I have a couple of notes and questions if that's okay?

The massage skill as written feels like a secondary skill to me. Maybe it's just the wording but it doesn't seem cover as much as when I was taking the course. It's like the differences between a nice back rub and a therapeutic massage. Both feel nice but the latter has more lasting effects. In class learned a lot of anatomy for one. Names of all the muscles, ligaments, tendons, bones, attachment points, etc. And that was just from the massage classes. We still had to take Anatomy to pass the course. So the Massage Therapist should get the Anatomy skill at the same level as other medical professionals. We also had to learn things like proper draping so as not to offend anyone's modesty. This of course would differ culturally. Stretching and range of motion was also taught could stretch out problem areas and open up the joints more, and bolstering was taught for the patient's comfort.

Also while we learned mostly Swedish Massage we were taught other techniques in general and could take classes in just them for more in depth knowledge for use in our own practice. I'd have a skill percentage of one type of massage as that character's main area of focus and a couple others 10% less than that where they know about but aren't quite as good as. Then any other types could be attempted at the base skill percentage or half the character's skill percentage. Whichever is lower. they of course can add more at the cost of additional skills.

I would also add massage to the Medical Doctor skill depending on where one obtained their MD since Massage is taught more widely in some areas than others.

Some massage techniques can be learned and done on their own like reflexology. I would think that these would be listed as their own skill but those with it can't perform other types but they can learn them and receive a one time bonus.

For example:
Swedish 60%+5% per level
Shiatsu and Stone Massage 50%+5% per level
Other types 25%+5% per level

Or
Swedish 60% +5%
Acupressure and reflexology 50+5%
Other types 25%+5% per level

Other things like preparing our oils and lotions to aromatherapy are also picked up by many massage therapists so they'd have those skills too.

Dancing feels like it's just placed in the wrong category to me. It seems more like a physical skill not domestic. It is a physical activity after all that some do for exercise as well as for fun and some competitively. I would think that some gain in the stats with gains doubling for professionals.

Tap Dancing. I can see it being u
Is there an Ice Skating Skill? Roller Skating/Blading? Skateboarding? How about Yoga or Pilates? If yes, where can I find them?

Trains: if we go with one big general skill I would add electric and cable car just for completeness.

Steam Power, I'd add Steam powered automobiles, steam boats and steam ships. There is a certain art to keeping the boilers going while not running off the road.

Is there a skill for Paddle Ships? Like Riverboats? Ships with the big wheel in the back or one on each side? I know they don't handle quite as well as regular boats/ships.

Is there a Auto-Gyro Skill? They're not airplane but they're not helicopters either. From what I've read they have a lag in the controls so maybe the Airplane skill with a -%?

Is there a Tilt-Rotor/Convertiplane/Harrier piloting skill? Basically a skill for vehicles that take off vertically and then fly like aircraft? Or Would Pilot Helicopter do for VTOL and pilot airplane or jet for forward flight?

Is there Amphibious Vehicle Piloting Skill or would pilot boat and automobile cover it?

Is there an Amphibious Plane/Seaplane skill?

Is there a read music skill? One can play music or sing without but with should add a bonus to the performance.
If there's a read music is there a write/compose music skill?

I do wonder if there should be more emphasis on antique currant and future technologies. I say that because I don't think most people realized just how much things have changed over the years. I'm a pretty good driver but I would not feel comfortable starting a Model A Ford because of it's magnetos. Newer cars though also give me problems with all their computer gadgets. It took me a couple weeks just to figure out how to turn on the radio in the van I'm currently driving. And it doesn't have all the bells and whistles I've see on cars. I still have a rotary phone in my house, can barely make calls with a regular cell phone and have no clue how to operate a smart phone. Photography is all digital now days. I don't think that skill ever got updated for digital. Can film still be purchased and developed? Anyone remember 5 in floppy disks?

There probably is a way to deal with thinks like above but it's late and I'm just getting back to RPGing Palladium style so I can't think of what it might be. Is there a way or could we be able to add a prefix of Antique, Currant, Futruistic to the skill to emphasis our Character's knowledge? After all a Piston engine pilot may not know how to fly a turbo-prop airplane ever though they both have propellers. that kind of thing,

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:26 am

Explorer

I don't see why there couldn't be a Lore:Biotics skill. There seems to be enough time passing between their creation and now that they would be as known in Spicers as Juicers would be in Riflts. Also aren't their "biotics" in other games beyond Splicers? It could cover a lot of ground depending on the game. I think the base skill would change though, being higher where they're more known and lower than where they're less known of. Definitely higher in Spicers and less so else where.

I also don't know why there couldn't be a Lore: Crazies or Lore: whatever skill. Skills like Lore, History, Law, Dance, Cooking, etc seem made to be generic or as specific as one wants.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:21 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Sambot wrote:
Is there an Ice Skating Skill? Roller Skating/Blading? Skateboarding? How about Yoga or Pilates? If yes, where can I find them?

Ice Skating, and sub skills of Figure Skating, Pro Hockey Skating, and Speed Skating, are available in Rifts Canada

Skateboarding is in BTS2 & Dead Reign

There is a Sports skill in N&SS, in the text of the skill description it states that you choose one sport. Taking this skill twice for the same sport makes it pro quality.

Yoga is in Rifter 07

Pilates, imho, would be covered under General Athletics, Body Building, and/or Body Sculpting. Not everything deserves its own skill.

Sambot wrote:
Trains: if we go with one big general skill I would add electric and cable car just for completeness.
I am not sure what your question is.

Sambot wrote:
Steam Power, I'd add Steam powered automobiles, steam boats and steam ships. There is a certain art to keeping the boilers going while not running off the road.

Are you perhaps asking if there is a Steam Mechanics skill? If so, yes there is. Mutants in Avalon.
There are Steamship and Steam Boat skills. DR, and BTS2

Sambot wrote:
Is there a skill for Paddle Ships? Like Riverboats? Ships with the big wheel in the back or one on each side? I know they don't handle quite as well as regular boats/ships.

Perhaps they don’t in RL, but it seems that these are lumped in with other motor-powered boats/ships depending on the book/skill you read. Not everything will have its own skill.

Sambot wrote:
Is there a Auto-Gyro Skill? They're not airplane but they're not helicopters either. From what I've read they have a lag in the controls so maybe the Airplane skill with a -%?

Not that I can find, feel free to write one up and post it 

Sambot wrote:
Is there a Tilt-Rotor/Convertiplane/Harrier piloting skill? Basically a skill for vehicles that take off vertically and then fly like aircraft? Or Would Pilot Helicopter do for VTOL and pilot airplane or jet for forward flight?

There are lots of Aircraft skills. Harriers would be covered under Jet Fighters.
As for Convertiplanes, I game I ran had an Osprey in it, the pilot had multiple fixed wing and helicopter skills, so I ruled he could fly it, and that in one configuration you used the one skill, in the other, the other skill.

Sambot wrote:
Is there Amphibious Vehicle Piloting Skill or would pilot boat and automobile cover it?

Amphibious Landing Craft Piloting skill in Rifter 25

Sambot wrote:

I don’t see why this would be needed in addition to all current aircraft and airplane skills.

Sambot wrote:
Is there a read music skill? One can play music or sing without but with should add a bonus to the performance.

I believe that reading music is included in the play musical instrument skill, I am not sure about sing, but if someone takes sing at a pro level I would allow it.
There is a creative writing skill, if a musician that can be used to compose music. Not everything needs a separate skill entry.

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Priest

Sambot wrote:
Hello,

There probably is a way to deal with thinks like above but it's late and I'm just getting back to RPGing Palladium style so I can't think of what it might be. Is there a way or could we be able to add a prefix of Antique, Currant, Futruistic to the skill to emphasis our Character's knowledge? After all a Piston engine pilot may not know how to fly a turbo-prop airplane ever though they both have propellers. that kind of thing,

Hi...

http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php?title=Pilot:_Trains/Locomotives

Pretty much covers, IMHO, all fixed-track vehicles from steam to electric. It's in the maintenance and repair that they may differ(and thus requiring separate skills from piloting, and/or another crewman specially trained in the respective electrical/mechanical engineering skills).

With regards to Antique/Current/Futuristic---That's GM's prerogative. Or treat it like the Palladium Conversion Book with regards to bringing characters from other games/time periods into Rifts. GMs might want to give, for instance, an electrician of Edison's era a penalty for trying to figure out a modern power grid, at least until he boned up on modern electrical codes and engineering standards, and a bigger penalty for trying to figure out a Three Galaxies' superconductor and forcefield wiring harness...but the general operating principles should provide some common basis of understanding(that same electrician from Menlow Park might be able to figure out that THERE would be a good place to bollux a system or DON'T touch that particular junction). But also bear in mind that some of the differences in technological eras can be explained in part by discipline overlaps...A Marconi-trained wireless operator(Radio: Basic) would be flummoxed by LAN wireless systems, even with modern equipment at his disposal, unless he also learned attendant Electrical Engineering and Computer skills.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:40 am

Explorer

13eowulf wrote:
Sambot wrote:

Ice Skating, and sub skills of Figure Skating, Pro Hockey Skating, and Speed Skating, are available in Rifts Canada

Skateboarding is in BTS2 & Dead Reign

There is a Sports skill in N&SS, in the text of the skill description it states that you choose one sport. Taking this skill twice for the same sport makes it pro quality.

Yoga is in Rifter 07

Pilates, imho, would be covered under General Athletics, Body Building, and/or Body Sculpting. Not everything deserves its own skill.

Thank you for the locations. :)

Quote:
Sambot wrote:
I am not sure what your question is.

Just a comment.

Quote:
Sambot wrote:

Are you perhaps asking if there is a Steam Mechanics skill? If so, yes there is. Mutants in Avalon.
There are Steamship and Steam Boat skills. DR, and BTS2

Thank you again but where are they? I can't find them :( What about the rest? Other vehicles besides boats and trains used stream power.

Quote:
Sambot wrote:

Perhaps they don’t in RL, but it seems that these are lumped in with other motor-powered boats/ships depending on the book/skill you read. Not everything will have its own skill.

Thanks. I think I'll go with the Steamboat/Steam Ship skills for those. They'd seem to fit more. If I can find the skills.

Quote:
Sambot wrote:

Not that I can find, feel free to write one up and post it 

Thanks How's this?

Pilot AutoGyro
This skill will allow one to pilot a rare style of aircraft called Autogyros. They use autorotating rotors to provide lift while forward thrust is provided by a propeller. Older examples look like a cross between an airplane and a helicopter. Later versions removed the wings to look more like helicopters. They are not helicopters though. They require runways and cannot hover in flight. Despite the advantage of needing very short runways these aircraft quickly fell out of favor once Helicopters became more reliable. They are also trickier to fly as the controls are not as responsive as an airplane which can easily trick an unsuspecting pilot into over correcting and going out of control. Because of this it takes longer to become certified. In spite of the drawbacks, Autogyros continue to be manufactured and used have even had staring rolls in a few movies.

Base Skill: 40%+5% per level. None trained Airplane pilots can pilot Autogyros but at a 25% penalty.

Quote:
Sambot wrote:

There are lots of Aircraft skills. Harriers would be covered under Jet Fighters.
As for Convertiplanes, I game I ran had an Osprey in it, the pilot had multiple fixed wing and helicopter skills, so I ruled he could fly it, and that in one configuration you used the one skill, in the other, the other skill.

Needing both skills makes sense. But wouldn't the Harrier Pilot also need Pilot Helicopter? Or maybe there could be a Pilot VTOL Skill that could be added on to Pilot Airplane/Jet?

Quote:
Sambot wrote:

Amphibious Landing Craft Piloting skill in Rifter 25

Sambot wrote:

I don’t see why this would be needed in addition to all current aircraft and airplane skills.

Thank you. :)

Because taking off and landing from water is more difficult. Water moves. Pilots need to know water conditions so they can land safely. Catch a wave and they can crash. Planes also don't roll to a stop like they would on land. They keep floating, so Boat Piloting would be good. It's also something not taught in regular piloting classes. It just seems like there should be a skill for this to me. Or at least a mentioned skill penalty.

Quote:
Sambot wrote:

I believe that reading music is included in the play musical instrument skill, I am not sure about sing, but if someone takes sing at a pro level I would allow it.
There is a creative writing skill, if a musician that can be used to compose music. Not everything needs a separate skill entry.

Just looked and it seems "read music" depends on where the Play Musical Instrument skill is located. I suppose reading music could be part of the professional bonus for singing. I don't think it'd be part of the creative writing skill though. Writing the song, yes but not the music. That's like writing in another language. That's why I was wondering.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:55 am

Explorer

taalismn wrote:

Hi...

http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php?title=Pilot:_Trains/Locomotives

Pretty much covers, IMHO, all fixed-track vehicles from steam to electric. It's in the maintenance and repair that they may differ(and thus requiring separate skills from piloting, and/or another crewman specially trained in the respective electrical/mechanical engineering skills).

Hi,

Cool. I guess that does cover about everything. Thanks. Would they all have the same skill percentage though? I would think that some would be far easier to operate than others.

Quote:
With regards to Antique/Current/Futuristic---That's GM's prerogative. Or treat it like the Palladium Conversion Book with regards to bringing characters from other games/time periods into Rifts. GMs might want to give, for instance, an electrician of Edison's era a penalty for trying to figure out a modern power grid, at least until he boned up on modern electrical codes and engineering standards, and a bigger penalty for trying to figure out a Three Galaxies' superconductor and forcefield wiring harness...but the general operating principles should provide some common basis of understanding(that same electrician from Menlow Park might be able to figure out that THERE would be a good place to bollux a system or DON'T touch that particular junction). But also bear in mind that some of the differences in technological eras can be explained in part by discipline overlaps...A Marconi-trained wireless operator(Radio: Basic) would be flummoxed by LAN wireless systems, even with modern equipment at his disposal, unless he also learned attendant Electrical Engineering and Computer skills.

Thanks. I'll take a look at the Conversion book again. But I'm not sure it'll help with everything. The Photography skill hasn't changed any to include digital. A photographer could operate the camera easily enough but when it comes time to touch up the pictures and develop/print them they'd have a problem. I know some skills have penalties for unfamiliar/alien systems which could be applied to others but I guess I'll have to take a look at the Conversion Books again for the rest. But I would think there would be a note some where for this kind of thing. Especially when you can have F-14s flying with Aerospace Fighters. Thanks :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Hero

Rocket science would probably be a subsection of chemistry wouldn't it. +23%?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Priest

abe wrote:

Simple black powder/chemical rockets(fireworks), maybe.
I'm pretty sure there's a Pyrotechnics skill somewhere out there, though, for fireworks.http://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=135543&view=print
Rocket Science as we think of it(NASA launchers, military missiles, rocketplanes ) would really be a combination of different skills(chemistry, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, aircraft armorer for military payloads, and the Drive/Propulsion skills already existing for Mutants in Orbit, etc.) rather than one skill. Physics for calculating burn times and trajectories, etc.
And really, any worthwhile rocket is not going to be the result of one skill, or one man, but of a TEAM of talents. Even Robert Goddard, when it came to the big rockets, needed skilled machinists and chemists to turn his plans into reality.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:38 am

OLD ONE

Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
taalismn wrote:
abe wrote:

Simple black powder/chemical rockets(fireworks), maybe.
I'm pretty sure there's a Pyrotechnics skill somewhere out there, though, for fireworks.http://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=135543&view=print
Rocket Science as we think of it(NASA launchers, military missiles, rocketplanes ) would really be a combination of different skills(chemistry, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, aircraft armorer for military payloads, and the Drive/Propulsion skills already existing for Mutants in Orbit, etc.) rather than one skill. Physics for calculating burn times and trajectories, etc.
And really, any worthwhile rocket is not going to be the result of one skill, or one man, but of a TEAM of talents. Even Robert Goddard, when it came to the big rockets, needed skilled machinists and chemists to turn his plans into reality.

I would call it "Aerospace Engineer" and call it day.

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
Palladium Books 2015 Robotech RPG Tactics Tournament Rules

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Priest

NMI wrote:
[
I would call it "Aerospace Engineer" and call it day.

As a single skill I'd game it the existing skill 'Aircraft Mechanics', only expand it to cover rocket-propelled airframes.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:17 pm

Hero

for children only: cartoon lore?

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Palladin

abe wrote:

Why would that be limited to children only? Plenty of adults watch cartoons and quite a few are involved in actually making them so would have to have some measure of knowledge about them.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmask wrote:
abe wrote:

Why would that be limited to children only? Plenty of adults watch cartoons and quite a few are involved in actually making them so would have to have some measure of knowledge about them.
I agree. If it is limited to kids, it won't see play in my games since nobody wants to play with the penalties of being an adolescent character.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Priest

If I recall correctly, Lore: Cartoon, or something very like it, has come up before. My two cents is that it's too narrow, and virtually useless as a skill, unless you're roleplaying 'Trivial Pursuit', Saturday Morning TV Edition, or expecting an attack by MLP or the Smurfs(in which case, I'd apply Lore: D-Bee and leaveit at that).
The sort of knowledge base represented by Lore: Cartoon would be best handled by the idea that it's general knowledge that doesn't have any significant impact in day to day life or a more serious application. A sociologist, for instance, may have Lore: Indians, or Lore: Japanese Mythology, because these have real significance in studying artifacts or traditions, and also have a hobby collecting Beanie Babies, but doesn't have to have a skill in Lore: Beanie Babies to appreciate them. If it becomes a matter of, say, knowing the price of a truly valuable piece of media, like animation cells or antique teddy bears, I'd use a skill like Appraise Goods, which has some leeway and real uses.

Other aspects of various media are, IMHO, better handled by other categories; if you're actually in the business of MAKING cartoons, for instance, applying Domestic: Art, and/or Computer Operation/Programming would be a better fit.
Otherwise, it opens the door to a slew of one-trick skills like Lore: Star Trek or Lore: Family Feud.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:29 pm

Palladin

taalismn wrote:
If I recall correctly, Lore: Cartoon, or something very like it, has come up before. My two cents is that it's too narrow, and virtually useless as a skill, unless you're roleplaying 'Trivial Pursuit', Saturday Morning TV Edition, or expecting an attack by MLP or the Smurfs(in which case, I'd apply Lore: D-Bee and leaveit at that).
The sort of knowledge base represented by Lore: Cartoon would be best handled by the idea that it's general knowledge that doesn't have any significant impact in day to day life or a more serious application. A sociologist, for instance, may have Lore: Indians, or Lore: Japanese Mythology, because these have real significance in studying artifacts or traditions, and also have a hobby collecting Beanie Babies, but doesn't have to have a skill in Lore: Beanie Babies to appreciate them. If it becomes a matter of, say, knowing the price of a truly valuable piece of media, like animation cells or antique teddy bears, I'd use a skill like Appraise Goods, which has some leeway and real uses.

Other aspects of various media are, IMHO, better handled by other categories; if you're actually in the business of MAKING cartoons, for instance, applying Domestic: Art, and/or Computer Operation/Programming would be a better fit.
Otherwise, it opens the door to a slew of one-trick skills like Lore: Star Trek or Lore: Family Feud.

To be fair though there isn't anything wrong with that or at least shouldn't be, where possible players do like to customize their characters and have them be on the unique side and Palladium unfortunately doesn't make that very possible with things like powers and the existing skills so something like 'Lore: Comic Books' or 'Lore: Animation' to reflect someone with extensive knowledge of such things allows for more uniqueness plus such things do carry with them a measure of useful knowledge since one could recognize something playing out similar to an event from their particular lore (since there's nothing new under the sun as they say).

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:49 pm

Priest

It would have to be some SERIOUS obsession for the character concept, though.
Admittedly I could see a Beyond the Supernatural character like a Comicon nerd or otaku having a Lore: Comic Books, or some deep-archive Lazlo Rogue Scholar frittering away a skill choice to take Lore: Animation. So that justifies the 'not just for kiddies' critique of the original posting.
That, and the OP was lacking in a skill proficiency value and more descriptive text. 'Cartoons' should be better defined, and what the skill covers...just plotlines, episode synopsis, and character biographies? Or production specifics? Artists? Run dates and syndication?

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:16 pm

Palladin

taalismn wrote:
It would have to be some SERIOUS obsession for the character concept, though.
Admittedly I could see a Beyond the Supernatural character like a Comicon nerd or otaku having a Lore: Comic Books, or some deep-archive Lazlo Rogue Scholar frittering away a skill choice to take Lore: Animation. So that justifies the 'not just for kiddies' critique of the original posting.
That, and the OP was lacking in a skill proficiency value and more descriptive text. 'Cartoons' should be better defined, and what the skill covers...just plotlines, episode synopsis, and character biographies? Or production specifics? Artists? Run dates and syndication?

Why does it have to be a serious obsession? It doesn't have to be a serious obsession to spend two skill slots to have professional level cooking or art why would it have to be a serious obsession just to even take a skill like 'Lore: Comics'? I wouldn't call it 'frittering away' a skill choice either, meanwhile such a skill would be like any other lore skill, comprehensively covering that particular topic no different than how you can look at Lore: Magic or Lore: Demons and Monsters and with a skill check potentially show knowledge of virtually anything in that category. So you'd know various comic runs for Lore: Comics, artists, writers, significant events and so on.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Priest

Nightmask wrote:
[

Why does it have to be a serious obsession? It doesn't have to be a serious obsession to spend two skill slots to have professional level cooking or art why would it have to be a serious obsession just to even take a skill like 'Lore: Comics'? I wouldn't call it 'frittering away' a skill choice either, meanwhile such a skill would be like any other lore skill, comprehensively covering that particular topic no different than how you can look at Lore: Magic or Lore: Demons and Monsters and with a skill check potentially show knowledge of virtually anything in that category. So you'd know various comic runs for Lore: Comics, artists, writers, significant events and so on.

Setting choice, mainly.
In Rifts, spending a skill devoted to comic books might well be considered wasting time and energy when the character could be learning first aide, field stripping a weapon, or identifying a threat from beyond.....but it might just seem attractive to some sheltered scholar deep inside Lazlo or Chi-Town, or a Crazy who really IS convinced he's Batman(then cue an encounter with another Crazy who thinks he's the Bat, and have them roll their respective Lore skills to see who's the pretender and who's the real thing).

It's perfectly plausible, I'll grant you that, in a Modern Day setting where we have, folks...well, like ourselves, who have the skill RPG....

However, unless your GM is really understanding or reaching for ideas, or has hinted that skills like that are going to be useful, it's more than likely going to moulder on your character sheets

And presentation-wise, the OP could have done with what you just set forth above. Congratulations: tack on a skill proficiency stat, and you've just authored Lore: Comic Books! :wink:

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:53 pm

Champion

Nightmask wrote:
someone with extensive knowledge of such things could recognize something playing out similar to an event from their particular lore.

Nega-psychic rolls Lore Cartoon (..and fails without the GM telling him)

"I'm telling you there is no such thing as monsters! It's Old man McGurk in a rubber mask. He's just trying to scare everyone away so he can buy the property below value. Look, I'll show you."

Proceeds to try and pull the face off of a Dybbuk

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:17 pm

Priest

To be completely honest, I'd just as soon have a love of cartoons/comics/television shows be part of the player's actual role-playing in-game, than as a stated skill. If the GMs such a skill in character creation, odds are, that's a warning that it's going to pop up in a game(cue every other player suddenly wanting to change over a skill to Lore: Comics/Cartoons/Soap Operas).

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Hero

not sure if this has been done before on this site, rpg lore
basically you know a LOT of random facts about rpgs & rpg settings