We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

gmapprentice wrote:it says +40% per level. other than that, good job.

It was supposed to read 50%/40%, +5% per level. It is fixed now.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

gmapprentice wrote:i see that. as i said, good job on the new skill.

Okay, quit slacking! More skills!
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

gmapprentice wrote:Yeah, i'll get right on that. :roll: no, i will, i promise... it just seems like almost everything's been done already at one time or another.

Not really, but it is not always easy to think up stuff that is applicable to the game.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:speaking of skills, apparently Ballet has been done.

You mean done as in done by Palladium?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Hmmm, I guess she didn't check first... The Rifter 19 version seems to have better bonuses.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Hmmm, I guess she didn't check first... The Rifter 19 version seems to have better bonuses.

Dang it! Rifter 19 isn't official canon, and my skills file doesn't have anything from that issue. I really thought I had done an original skill with Ballet.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:well, you have other original skills... all i have is the three weapons thing.

Well, see what you can think up and we can put stats to it. :)
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:what about Graphic Design (computer art)? is that covered by another skill?

Not specifically.

Technical Skills

Computer Aided Graphics and Design: This skill involves using computer graphics programs to create commercial artwork, layouts and designs. Requires Computer Operation and Art: Drawing Skills. Skill Base: 30%, +5% per level.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:thanks, gc. ps i edited my latest post on "be honest"... if you care.

I care enough to respond to your posts, that should count for something.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:New skill idea... Underwater Combat. first of all, has it been done already? secondly, would ordinary combat skills or zero gravity combat skills work properly underwater, making the idea sort of useless?

Underwater combat is more difficult because you have the water pressure working against you. Someone trained in underwater combat would basically be able to fight underwater without penalties, or at least reduced penalties. I don't think it has been done. I would have to research how zero gravity combat works to see how they compare.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:the only problem is i don't know how zero gravity and underwater pressure works (haven't taken physics class yet), so i don't know how the environment would affect combat. but, i'll try to do it tomorrow.

I will be able to work on it once I can borrow SG's copy of Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide. I think that is where the Zero Gravity skill is listed. It is much easier sometimes to work from the book than to try to find it in my files.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:I have access to the Zero Gravity combat skills, but as far as i know, underwater and zero gravity are very different environments. also, i have another skill....

Pilot Scooter: Includes standard and engine-driven , 2- and 4-wheeled varieties of scooters (think of the ones kids ride). 40% +5% per level.

I would think that engine driven ones would be harder to pilot.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:I have access to the Zero Gravity combat skills, but as far as i know, underwater and zero gravity are very different environments. also, i have another skill....

Pilot Scooter: Includes standard and engine-driven , 2- and 4-wheeled varieties of scooters (think of the ones kids ride). Base Skill: 40% +5% per level, 30% +4% per level for engine-driven varieties.

Percentages seem too low for a piloting skill.

Underwater combat bonuses are a bit low, also.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Looking good to me.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Gryphon Chick wrote:I noticed that there is no New Skills thread, so was in lack of a place to post this.
Break Dancing: The character is able to perform headspins and other more wild forms of dance. Base Skill: 30%, +5% per level, plus 5% if Acrobatics is known, +10% if Gymnastics is known. A failed roll results in failure to execute the move, critical failure results in injury.
Prerequisite: Dance
Bonuses:
+2 to Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact
+2 PP
+2 PE
+5% to Streetwise
Awe Factor: 8 or +2 to existing Awe Factor
Character is immune to dizziness and disorientation while dancing
+10% to Dance skill

Things to consider;

This skill offers way too much PP. In comparison, the acrobatics and gymnastics skills offer only a single point; break-dancing does not confer some innate or better-trained hand/eye coordination or flexibility.

The awe factor needs context; you are not going to awe anyone in a presidential speech, nor are you going to awe the crowd at a ballroom dancing competition. As for adding +2 to existing Awe Factor, I refer you to the above mention of presidential speeches (and the like).

The streetwise bonus; why? Kids these days are learning break-dancing in gymnasiums and friends' houses. I don't see the connection it gives to the streets anymore. Besides this, I would like you to consider my next point;

+10% to dancing. I do agree that it should offer a bonus to this skill, but try to think of such a percentage as an indication of level. In comparison there are certain skills (such as dance) that can be taken twice. This additional focus brings the user to a "professional" level of quality. As well, you'll note that dance increases at a rate of 5% per level. The bonus you want to give the dancing skill is akin to either two additional levels of experience, or that of a professional. I think the bonus is way too high.

Alternatively you could instead get rid of the percentage that you've attached to break-dancing (ie: 30% +5% per level) and instead offer that this skill (which has dancing as a prereq.) adds 10% to the dancing skill when performing a break-dance (or break-dancing manuever). As dancing is a general skill, this would make sense.

The same could be said for your additional dancing concentrations.

Something else to note; everyone has access to the domestic category. You really don't need to include additional dance-styles in these categories, especially since house-wives are learning to pole-dance, and certainly not in a den of thieves ;) (I would post a link where seemingly average women are doing this, but all the stuff I found may not be board-friendly).

Gryphon Chick wrote:Crossdressing: This is a specialized skill in which a member of one gender makes him/herself appear to be a member of the opposite gender. Base skill:20%, +5% per level. A failed roll means they are not fooling anyone. Adds +5% to Disguise and Cosmetology skills.

This is redundant as its own skill because disguise offers a higher bonus and does the same thing.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

gmapprentice wrote:Pilot Scooter: Includes standard and engine-driven , 2- and 4-wheeled varieties of scooters (think of the ones kids ride). Base Skill: 50% +5% per level, 40% +4% per level for engine-driven varieties.

This skill is already covered under Motorcycles. That is, if pilot: Motorcycles and snowmobiles includes mopeds, I think it would also include scooters.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Skill: Reconnaissance (replaces perception*) 25% +5% per level. This skill is also useable by default default**. This is a direct foil to the prowl skill, and can be used to detect camouflaged people and objects. The ability to more perceptive, this skill offers methods of training that can increase a persons' sensory awareness.
This belongs under the Espionage, Military, and Rogue categories.

*instead of rolling a d20 to notice someone who is hidden via prowl, invisibility, camouflage, etc... I've turned it into a skill. Add +5% per point of perception to this skill in-place of the actual perception bonus.

**since everyone can generally sense things (humans have 5 senses afterall), a default of 20% (plus IQ bonuses) is available for everyone.

Any method of defeating detection (loud background noises, like being near an active jet-engine, etc...) should offer a penalty to the detector for each sense disabled. On the flip-side, any situation of advantage should offer a bonus (dead-silence).

As an alternate use, you can have this skill and the prowl skill as opposed skills. What this means is that a character cannot "fail" the roll of these skills; his percentage simply becomes a kind of bench-marker.
For example, a sneaky character rolls 30 on his percentage dice against his prowl skill of 50%; that's a success by 20.
People attempting to detect him with the reconnaissance skill now recieve a penalty of 20% to detect him.

On the flip-side, this sneaky guy rolls a 70 over his 50% (stepped on a twig!); people attempting to detect him instead have a 20% bonus to notice his unfortunate fumble.

This skill could also be used to detect people using the bend light super-power (instead of an initiative check). All you need to do is assign bend-light a visual penalty (I suggest -80%). Because HU doesn't use the perception ability, you'll have to give an arbitrary bonus to characters with heightened senses. Generally speaking (and in my opinion), a character with supervision, hearing, smell, etc... should have around a +50% bonus to detect sneaking characters with these methods. Add +10% to this percentage per additional sense used (ie: a character that has both supervision and hearing would get +60%). If a sense isn't applicable (like trying to see something that's invisible, hear something that is noiseless, or smell something that is otherwise completely masked (a garbage-monster in a garbage dump)), then simply do not allow that method of detection to be used.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Dog_O_War wrote:Skill: Reconnaissance (replaces perception*) 25% +5% per level. This skill is also useable by default default**. This is a direct foil to the prowl skill, and can be used to detect camouflaged people and objects. The ability to more perceptive, this skill offers methods of training that can increase a persons' sensory awareness.
This belongs under the Espionage, Military, and Rogue categories.

*instead of rolling a d20 to notice someone who is hidden via prowl, invisibility, camouflage, etc... I've turned it into a skill. Add +5% per point of perception to this skill in-place of the actual perception bonus.

**since everyone can generally sense things (humans have 5 senses afterall), a default of 20% (plus IQ bonuses) is available for everyone.

Any method of defeating detection (loud background noises, like being near an active jet-engine, etc...) should offer a penalty to the detector for each sense disabled. On the flip-side, any situation of advantage should offer a bonus (dead-silence).

As an alternate use, you can have this skill and the prowl skill as opposed skills. What this means is that a character cannot "fail" the roll of these skills; his percentage simply becomes a kind of bench-marker.
For example, a sneaky character rolls 30 on his percentage dice against his prowl skill of 50%; that's a success by 20.
People attempting to detect him with the reconnaissance skill now recieve a penalty of 20% to detect him.

On the flip-side, this sneaky guy rolls a 70 over his 50% (stepped on a twig!); people attempting to detect him instead have a 20% bonus to notice his unfortunate fumble.

This skill could also be used to detect people using the bend light super-power (instead of an initiative check). All you need to do is assign bend-light a visual penalty (I suggest -80%). Because HU doesn't use the perception ability, you'll have to give an arbitrary bonus to characters with heightened senses. Generally speaking (and in my opinion), a character with supervision, hearing, smell, etc... should have around a +50% bonus to detect sneaking characters with these methods. Add +10% to this percentage per additional sense used (ie: a character that has both supervision and hearing would get +60%). If a sense isn't applicable (like trying to see something that's invisible, hear something that is noiseless, or smell something that is otherwise completely masked (a garbage-monster in a garbage dump)), then simply do not allow that method of detection to be used.

Because of your own criticisms about redundant skills, I find it interesting that you post a skill already covered by Detect Concealment. I also find that +50% bonus to detect sneaking characters with superpowers to be outrageously high.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Because of your own criticisms about redundant skills, I find it interesting that you post a skill already covered by Detect Concealment. I also find that +50% bonus to detect sneaking characters with superpowers to be outrageously high.

If you've found it funny, it's because you need to re-read both skills presented. Detect concealment confers two things; detecting hidden objects, and the construction of hidden objects.

Reconnaissance replaces perception, or rather turns what should've been a percentage roll into a percentage roll. If there is a redundancy, it's on the part of Palladium.

As well, the unusually high bonuses conferred by super-abilities are because they are super-abilities. You're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that the ability to see body heat (ie: supervisions' infravision) should only translate into +5% to reconnaissance when attempting to spot a burglar in the dark. I only posted what seemed a reasonable suggestion. I also made sure to note that if it's not applicable, then you shouldn't apply this bonus. Really, I don't see what your problem is.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Dog_O_War wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Because of your own criticisms about redundant skills, I find it interesting that you post a skill already covered by Detect Concealment. I also find that +50% bonus to detect sneaking characters with superpowers to be outrageously high.

If you've found it funny, it's because you need to re-read both skills presented. Detect concealment confers two things; detecting hidden objects, and the construction of hidden objects.

Reconnaissance replaces perception, or rather turns what should've been a percentage roll into a percentage roll. If there is a redundancy, it's on the part of Palladium.

As well, the unusually high bonuses conferred by super-abilities are because they are super-abilities. You're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that the ability to see body heat (ie: supervisions' infravision) should only translate into +5% to reconnaissance when attempting to spot a burglar in the dark. I only posted what seemed a reasonable suggestion. I also made sure to note that if it's not applicable, then you shouldn't apply this bonus. Really, I don't see what your problem is.

Just playing devil's advocate. I really have no problem with it personally.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Dog_O_War wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:I noticed that there is no New Skills thread, so was in lack of a place to post this.
Break Dancing: The character is able to perform headspins and other more wild forms of dance. Base Skill: 30%, +5% per level, plus 5% if Acrobatics is known, +10% if Gymnastics is known. A failed roll results in failure to execute the move, critical failure results in injury.
Prerequisite: Dance
Bonuses:
+2 to Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact
+2 PP
+2 PE
+5% to Streetwise
Awe Factor: 8 or +2 to existing Awe Factor
Character is immune to dizziness and disorientation while dancing
+10% to Dance skill

Things to consider;

This skill offers way too much PP. In comparison, the acrobatics and gymnastics skills offer only a single point; break-dancing does not confer some innate or better-trained hand/eye coordination or flexibility.

Perhaps, but things like that can be adjusted.

Dog_O_War wrote:The awe factor needs context; you are not going to awe anyone in a presidential speech, nor are you going to awe the crowd at a ballroom dancing competition. As for adding +2 to existing Awe Factor, I refer you to the above mention of presidential speeches (and the like).

It does not get much clarification when it appeares in the Palladium material and most people are smart enough to figure in context.

Dog_O_War wrote:The streetwise bonus; why? Kids these days are learning break-dancing in gymnasiums and friends' houses. I don't see the connection it gives to the streets anymore. Besides this, I would like you to consider my next point;

+10% to dancing. I do agree that it should offer a bonus to this skill, but try to think of such a percentage as an indication of level. In comparison there are certain skills (such as dance) that can be taken twice. This additional focus brings the user to a "professional" level of quality. As well, you'll note that dance increases at a rate of 5% per level. The bonus you want to give the dancing skill is akin to either two additional levels of experience, or that of a professional. I think the bonus is way too high.

There are different styles of dancing that even "professional" quality would not cover based on increased difficulty of actually pulling off the moves. The streetwise bonus comes from the fact it was originally mostly street kids doing it and can be ignored for those learning it elsewhere.

Dog_O_War wrote:Alternatively you could instead get rid of the percentage that you've attached to break-dancing (ie: 30% +5% per level) and instead offer that this skill (which has dancing as a prereq.) adds 10% to the dancing skill when performing a break-dance (or break-dancing manuever). As dancing is a general skill, this would make sense.

No, because the percentage is the chance of doing things like successfully spinning on one's head.

Dog_O_War wrote:The same could be said for your additional dancing concentrations.

Something else to note; everyone has access to the domestic category. You really don't need to include additional dance-styles in these categories, especially since house-wives are learning to pole-dance, and certainly not in a den of thieves ;) (I would post a link where seemingly average women are doing this, but all the stuff I found may not be board-friendly).

I consider typical dance to be waltzing and slow dances. More difficult dancing should require separate skills the same way Swim also has SCUBA even though they are both swimming.

Dog_O_War wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:Crossdressing: This is a specialized skill in which a member of one gender makes him/herself appear to be a member of the opposite gender. Base skill:20%, +5% per level. A failed roll means they are not fooling anyone. Adds +5% to Disguise and Cosmetology skills.

This is redundant as its own skill because disguise offers a higher bonus and does the same thing.

This was considering there to be added difficulty to make one look convincingly female, but perhaps you are right. Still, being optional skills, people can choose to use them or not.

Perhaps you should stick to writing your skills and leave mine alone.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:I agree with you 96.8%, gc.

I don't mind people giving their opinion, but if I did not think those dance skills were significant enough to warrant their own skill listings I would not have posted them and there would not even be a thread here for him to comment on.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Gryphon Chick wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:I agree with you 96.8%, gc.

I don't mind people giving their opinion, but if I did not think those dance skills were significant enough to warrant their own skill listings I would not have posted them and there would not even be a thread here for him to comment on.

*snip*Perhaps you should stick to writing your skills and leave mine alone.

If you didn't want them commented on or critiqued, then you shouldn't have posted them period. What I offered was for your benefit; a different point of view. You don't have to take it, but you certainly don't need to be snippy or rude.

besides this, I never said they didn't warrant their own skill, I merely commented on the percentage - why give them one when dancing covers these other forms? (as it is a very general skill)
I can understand a specialization (and thus the piggy-back usage of dancing when pole-dancing, break-dancing, etc...), but don't you think it's odd that your skills only add to dancing when it's completely justifiable for other forms of dance to add again to these forms of dance?

That is, pole-dancing, ballet, even jazz would add some of their skill and technique to better a persons' skill at break-dancing, just as you have these sub-skills adding to dance. So why give them their own percentage when you can simply sub in dancing? (with a bonus when performing the specific style - as I stated above in my other post) All I'm saying here is that it makes sense that a person with dancing would be able to perform moves from other styles given a bit of practice; and like taking the skill twice (for professional quality), having these additional concentrations work as additions instead of stand-alone skills ends up being more PC-friendly.

What I mean by PC friendly is that you create a very strange situation having them as stand-alone skills.
For example....
Break-dancing starts at 30% +5% per level. We'll assume that the practitioner of this skill doesn't in-fact know gymnastics or acrobatics as these skills aren't really picked up all that often on the streets.

This means that in order to have even an 80% chance of success he needs to be 11th level. If he happens to perform 5 dance-moves in a single routine, one of them is statistically sure to fail. This is someone who is 11th level; you don't get that way in a day - this person has had an extremely full life thus far.

From what I've seen of people break-dancing, they are usually young but skilled. A high level of experience in this game usually indicates an older person; this creates an odd situation.

That's why I suggested what I did. To attempt to increase the verisimilitude you were going for.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

A lot of people, myself included, find some of the skills to be too general and vague. Breaking them down into skill sets is not unwarranted in the case of law or dance given the many different types of law and he varying styles of dance. Of course people don't have to play them that way, that is just one way of doing it. I agree with you that break dancing should be simplified, like maybe moving the percentage amount and just giving added bonuses to the attributes and dance.
But it is not always what you say but how you say it. People can be rude and defensive when they feel as if you are attacking their work.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:People can be rude and defensive when they feel as if you are attacking their work.

Indeed, this is true. It is also true that people can be called out for acting rudely. Especially since an attack on someone's work does not constitute a personal attack nor should it be taken as such.

If someone offers critical assessment of posted material then the poster should realize that the intent is helpful instead of taking it personally.

Dog_O_War's critical assessment of Gryphon Chick's skill suggestions were not a personal attack on Gryphon Chick. It was simply a suggested change. Gryphon Chick's defensive reaction seems to be more over-reaction than anything else.

And to be frank, to post on a public forum is to invite comment on the posted material. Some of those comments will be negative. It comes with the territory.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Quite true, Cybermancer. I am simply explaining why she might have reacted that way, and given that she is still new to the forum, I am sure she will eventually chill out. At least I hope so.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Quite true, Cybermancer. I am simply explaining why she might have reacted that way, and given that she is still new to the forum, I am sure she will eventually chill out. At least I hope so.

Agreed.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Sorry, just a lot of stress this week.
I just want to expand on skills that seem to have been too general. A lot of them seem to be played down because of not being stuff that applies to combat situations. I think that in many cases, some of the existing physical skills could serve to be modified or expanded. A lot of the problems I have had in doing the skills are due to modeling them after the way Palladium does them, when it is clear it is a flawed system. I just haven't been doing this long enough to really figure it out, so I guess I got frustrated. Sorry.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I have found it gets easier over time, but even I get irritated at things people post from time to time. You just have to try and learn from it and move on.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Doctor Specializations: Specializing in an area of medicine adds +10% to the Medical Doctor Skill while imposing a -5% skill penalty to rolls not related to the specialization. Below are a few examples.
Dermatology: This is the study of skin conditions such as acne, warts, hives, shingles and herpes, as well as various rashes, and their treatment.
Neurology: This is the study of nerve and brain function and various illnesses related to cognition.
Podiatry: This is the study of foot ailments including, but not limited to, bone spurs, corns, fallen arches, malformed or extra toes, and various conditions like Athlete's Foot.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Skill Modification: This is an optional alternative to taking new skills to modify existing skills.

Dance Styles: At each level of progression, the character can move up +5% or choose to learn a new dance style. Learning a style allows the character to reduce penalties to performing that type of dance by -5% per level in addition to the normal dance skill progression each level.

The same could apply to the Cook or Sew skills in learning new techniques.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:...i don't get it.

It is a system of trading advancement percentages for the ability to lessen penalties for more difficult applications of a skill. By taking time to learn a specific style of dance, the person reduces their penalties for more difficult moves. She is saying the same could be applied to other skills where certain techniques could be learned to reduce difficulty.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:..... i think i'll just stick with skills i understand, no offense to anyone.

That is part of the problem in writing new skill progressions and such, it gets confusing. Personally, I had no problem with just selecting different styles as different skills like she was writing them.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Why? I just did it the way Dog_O_War was suggesting. SG is right, sometimes you can overcomplicate things by trying to rewrite the system. On to writing skills that make sense. :wink:
Dog_O_War
Champion

Gryphon Chick wrote:

Why? I just did it the way Dog_O_War was suggesting. SG is right, sometimes you can overcomplicate things by trying to rewrite the system. On to writing skills that make sense. :wink:

Actually, I never inferred this method at all. The method I mentioned works as follows.

Dance 40% +5% per level.
-sub-skill- Break-dancing (+10% to dancing when performing this skill)
-sub-skill- Pole-dancing (+10% dancing when performing this skill)

A character knows how to dance, and can dance in any and every method given a bit of training, but with the additional training in the sub-skills above, when ever the character attempts he adds the percentage.
So when this character decides to slow-dance with his partner, it's at 40%.
But when he attempts to show off and break-dance, his skill is considered to be at 50% thanks to a regimen of extra training and focus. Like being a professional in your chosen field.

See? Simple.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mephisto wrote:I think skill specialization is the way to go. They sort of do it already with art and writing (and in N&S, cooking), so I think sewing, dancing, and singing could benefit from specialization. If I were more motivated and inclined I'd come up with say, 20 key skills with specializations for each, but then I'd have to modify the Special Training and Physical Training categories and it might neuter the Hardware class, so I am leery of seeing if any balance issues would be caused by such a change.

Well, write it up and do some game scenario tests before posting it. I admit modifying the mechanical, electrical, communications and piloting could really disrupt existing classes and OCCs.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

So do we have any new ideas for skills other than those by specialization?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I usually just use WP Whip for yo-yos. Also, if you have piano wire for string, you can strangle with a yo-yo as with a garotte and would potentially be able to parry with it.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Here is a simple skill modifier:

Indexing: The character knows systems of filing, including the Dewey Decimal System. Can find books by subject quickly and easily. Base Skill: 50%, +5% per level. Adds +10% to the Research skill.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Memorization: The character can memorize and recall his ME number in pages of text, and is able to reference the quotes by title, chapter, page and line number from memory. Base Skill: 66%, +2% per level. Adds +15% to Literacy skills and Basic Math skills. +5% to all skills requiring a heavy amount of reading.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Blueprints: The character can draw out plans for builders to use when constructing a house. Requires Art: drawing, Carpentry, Basic Mechanics and Basic Electronics. Skill Base: 40%, +5% per level.

Iconography: The character understands the basic symbology of early runes and symbols upon which writing and alphabets are based. Base skill: 20%, +4% per level. Adds +5% to Literacy and Art:Drawing skills.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

OrchestralDarkness wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:Blueprints: The character can draw out plans for builders to use when constructing a house. Requires Art: drawing, Carpentry, Basic Mechanics and Basic Electronics. Skill Base: 40%, +5% per level.

I'm awfully confused by your pre-requisite skills for Blueprints (Drafting).

A drafter doesn't really require any of the listed skills as pre-requisties to his work.

-Art: most drafting these days is done with a computer aided drafting program. Even if you're doing it the old fashioned way, it's mostly rulers and french curves..
-Carpentry: As a carpenter by trade, I find this one particularly out of place. Drafters do not, generally, know how to cure and select wood, the best tools for different types of cutting, or how to build and repair items made of wood. Most drafters have never swung a hammer in their lives, except to put up picture hooks in their houses.
-Basic Mechanics: Repair and maintenance of machinery doesn't really fall in the drafter's list of required skills
-Basic Electronics: Ditto to Basic Mechanics, but replace "machinery" with "wiring and circuits".

I'd like to suggest that Drafting should probably require: Computer Operation, Basic Mathematics, and Literacy.

Remember that Drafters, in general, draw the blueprints. They do not design the structure, nor deal with the engineering involved in meeting code. That's left to the Architect and the Engineer.

There is an Art: Drafting skill for Rifts but it has no prerequisites. I like this idea of creating one as such. Maybe it can be modified as follows:

Art: Drafting/Blueprints: The character can draw out plans for builders to use when constructing a house. Requires Computer Operation, Basic Mathematics, and Literacy.. Skill Base: 40%, +5% per level.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:is there a skill for.... not sure how to word it... marketing? you know, selling stuff (effectively)? i don't know how it works so i don't think i could do it myself...

I think there are several dealing with that, actually.
Senator Cybus
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Save me, Barry!

Unread post by Senator Cybus »

Stand-Up Comedy: The character can amuse and entertain entire groups through skillful delivery of his own original comedy material. As well as providing the ability to craft a good joke, this skill includes the capacity to read the mood of a crowd, tailoring material on the fly to suit their sense of humour. It also provides a library of quick-fire put downs, to put hecklers in their place.

Skill Base: 35% +5% per level of experience. Adds 5% to the Seduction skill.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

There is an Art: Drafting skill for Rifts but it has no prerequisites. I like this idea of creating one as such. Maybe it can be modified as follows:

Art: Drafting/Blueprints: The character can draw out plans for builders to use when constructing a house. Requires Computer Operation, Basic Mathematics, and Literacy. Skill Base: 40%, +5% per level.

I was aware of the one in canon, but I was trying for something more realistic. Unfortunately, it was a skill that was outside my experience. Sorry if I made a lot of mistakes, but at least we have a skill out of the trial and error.

gmapprentice wrote:I was JUST thinking about that, TODAY... and you got here first... dangit.

What a coincidence. :roll: That is easy to say, but why don't you focus on writing skills rather than trying to make excuses.
As for the skill, I like it. A lot of skills in canon are similar to that, but I like the heckler part. Good job.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

gmapprentice wrote:writing skills is easier said than done, if you understand what i mean.... i feel like everything's already a skill so i don't know what i'm supposed to think of. on top of that i have limited real-life experience, so i don't know what to look for to find skills that haven't been done yet.

I'm not meaning to criticize. If you think of something, please feel free to post it, but you are by no means obligated to. I appreciate your efforts thus far.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Well, I am not cranking out high volumes, either. It is not just because you are young, being creative is not all that easy all the time. I have been trying to motivate, not be a slave driver, and I know sometimes it comes across wrong.
Hey, that gives me an idea for one:

Motivational Speaking: The character can motivate others to do their best. A successful roll will grant +1 to all combat abilities and +5% to skill rolls to listeners for 1d4 hours after the speaker has finished. Base Skill: 35%, +5% per level. Add +1% for each M.A. attribute point above 20 and every 2 P.B. points above 17.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gmapprentice wrote:heh... nice. time for one of mine.

Physical Skill: Positioning (TELL ME if you think of a more accurate name, PLEASE)

The character knows how to position and move their body to stay balanced effectively. This can be used to try and prevent being knocked over, do tricks like balancing a stack of books on one's head and balancing plates on sticks, and run over uneven ground and similar terrain without accidentally falling over from going too fast. Penalties for certain situations can be determined by the G.M. Base Skill: 30% +6% per level. Sense of Balance sub-skill: 80% +2% per level. Provides +1 PP.

that one seem okay?

Seems okay, though the sense of balance sub-skill is a little high in percentage. I would knock it back to 50% base skill.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Pilot: Hanggliding(35+5% per lvl/exp)
The knowledge and practice of using personal hanggliders, parasails, powered 'chutes, and similar 'wing 'chutes' for both recreational and military purposes. Practitioners of this skill will also get a +5% to piloting vehicles such as ultra-lights and micro-lights that use parawings as part of their design.
Last edited by taalismn on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nice one, Taalismn.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”