We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I'd like to find a skiing skill but don't know enough about skiing to write it myself. Anyone want to try it?

There isn't a skiing skill in Rifts: Canada??

I will have to check with my friend who has that book. I was not aware there was one.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

My apologies, macksting. The entry has been corrected.
Thank you for your thoughts and clarification of the skill and the differences between settings. I appreciate your addressing of the issue, since many people may not be aware of it. There are significant differences in the material for skills from setting to setting, and sometimes multiple versions of skills in the same setting which cover basically the same thing.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

A skill list appears in the Rifter #0, available for purchase and download.
This thread has been added to the "By The Fans" thread, but too many topics that could be stickied exist for Nimmy to sticky them all.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

W.P. Tongs---Skill in the combat use of hinged, twin-pronged/tined utensils and tools, such as salad tongs, fireplace pincers, and blacksmithing tongs. Practice emphasizes using the shafts to parry, the hinged function to entangle and pin an opponent’s limbs or weapons, and in sharp quick pincing movements with the prongs. Typically does 1d4 damage on a ‘snap nip’, 1d6 on a side-slap/bludgeon for heavy metal tongs, 1 point damage/1d4 respectively for plastic salad tongs. +1 to strike at levels 1, 4, and 12, +1 to parry at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 12, +1 to disarm/entangle at levels 2, 4, 8, 10, and 12, +1 snap-nip attack at levels 3, 6, and 9.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I'd like to find a skiing skill but don't know enough about skiing to write it myself. Anyone want to try it?

For that matter we need Sledding-related skills...Bobsled, Luge(snow and road), and Toboggan...
After all, it would be painful to be a high-level commando who figures it would be a good idea to get all his men and equipment to the bottom of a mountain/glacier by sending them down on sleds...only to break every bone in his body sledding into a tree.... :-D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:W.P. Tongs---Skill in the combat use of hinged, twin-pronged/tined utensils and tools, such as salad tongs, fireplace pincers, and blacksmithing tongs. Practice emphasizes using the shafts to parry, the hinged function to entangle and pin an opponent’s limbs or weapons, and in sharp quick pincing movements with the prongs. Typically does 1d4 damage on a ‘snap nip’, 1d6 on a side-slap/bludgeon for heavy metal tongs, 1 point damage/1d4 respectively for plastic salad tongs. +1 to strike at levels 1, 4, and 12, +1 to parry at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, and 12, +1 to disarm/entangle at levels 2, 4, 8, 10, and 12, +1 snap-nip attack at levels 3, 6, and 9.

Nicely done.
taalismn
Priest

We need a W.P. Chainsaws now...Any ideas?
I figure we can slip WeedWhackers and power hedge-trimmers in there as well...less damage, but easier to maneuver/handle...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:We need a W.P. Chainsaws now...Any ideas?
I figure we can slip WeedWhackers and power hedge-trimmers in there as well...less damage, but easier to maneuver/handle...

It would be a modern WP with melee aspects, and much harder to control than a sword.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

taalismn wrote:We need a W.P. Chainsaws now...Any ideas?

To know bonuses for this would have been great back in the day when I played TMNT. I once had a mutant kangaroo who after a time traveling trip brought back 2 black and decker plasma bladed fusion powered hypersonic hedge trimmers. It was the craziest paired weapon I could think of. Oh the corpses of unlucky npc's that followed is the stuff of legend.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

MT-NME wrote:
So how bout this;
WP Chainsaw: Combat training with chainsaws, and other motorized gardening equipment.
Bonuses: +1D6 to PS +2 to strike and/or parry at level 1, 3, 5, 7, ect.
Note: Chainsaws and related tools are 2-handed weapons. They may be used to strike with one handed with no penalty, but attempting a parry one handed has a -5 penalty, reduced by 1 for every 2 points of PS over 20.

It's a good start...Maybe a horror/awe factor modifier (just for munckin kicks)? :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

"WATCH IT! HE'S USING ROTO-TILL WEAPONS KATA WITH HIS JUJUTSU!!!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

macksting wrote:Perhaps my imagination is lacking, but I really do have a hard time seeing a chainsaw as a decent parrying weapon.

Broad(metal) blade...it's like blocking with a two-by-four...of course, it's HEAVIER than a two-by-four, but that's why it takes some muscle to move something big like a chainsaw with any speed and precision...Plus, like a sword's crossguard, the handguard could be used to stop an opponent's weapon...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

So now we can duel with chainsaws?
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Gryphon Chick wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Certain skills will be limited by education level, so none of the law skills, political science, stock market, marketing or bookkeeping would be able to be taken as secondaries. The advanced weightlifting would not be available as a secondary, either. I can see Cross-Dressing, Aerobics, Surfing, Pole Dancing and Breakdancing all available as secondaries.

That sounds about right.

Physical Skills:

Ballet: The character has been trained in balance and poise, as well as maintaining balance and leaping. Base Skill: 30%, +5% per level. Must be taken as part of a physical skill program, cannot be taken as a secondary.
Bonuses:
+4/20% to maintain balance/sense of balance
+5% to prowl
30% base dance ability (does not increase) or adds +5% to dance ability
Adds 2 feet to leaping distance
+1 PP
+1 PE
+1d4 PB
+1 Spd
+2 to Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact

Actually there's already a Ballet skill written up. I believe it's in a Rifter. I know this, because in our New West campaign, our Psi-Slinger tried to take it as a physical skill (due to the great bonuses it provided) and the GM had a fit. "This is a post-apocalyptic game, how the @#$@!!! did you learn Ballet?!?!?"

:lol:
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Danger wrote:Actually there's already a Ballet skill written up. I believe it's in a Rifter. I know this, because in our New West campaign, our Psi-Slinger tried to take it as a physical skill (due to the great bonuses it provided) and the GM had a fit. "This is a post-apocalyptic game, how the @#$@!!! did you learn Ballet?!?!?"

Yeah, I found that out AFTER I posted my version of it. Oh well...
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Gryphon Chick wrote:
Danger wrote:Actually there's already a Ballet skill written up. I believe it's in a Rifter. I know this, because in our New West campaign, our Psi-Slinger tried to take it as a physical skill (due to the great bonuses it provided) and the GM had a fit. "This is a post-apocalyptic game, how the @#$@!!! did you learn Ballet?!?!?"

Yeah, I found that out AFTER I posted my version of it. Oh well...

No worries. It just made me chuckle, thinking about the look on our GM's face. :lol:

"huh???? Did you learn ballet from the ancient tribe that preserved the sacred art of ballet through the Dark Ages?!?" :badbad: :badbad: :badbad:
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Never having fought with a chainsaw, I really cannot say if you could parry with it, but it stands to reason you could if it is metal.
taalismn
Priest

macksting wrote:Whereas I feel it stands to reason you can't without potentially breaking it. Speaking, of course, of run of the mill chainsaws.

Ah. My roommate differs. In his opinion, though, the chainsaw is definitely a poor parrying weapon, because it is uncooperative.

Tell me about it...best RPG chainsaw story I ever heard featured a 'saw with a critical roll to get STARTED....After trying for three melee rounds to get the bastard going, while his comrades were engaged in combat around him, the poor schmoe wielding gets it started, and FUMBLES his first strike roll....and the weapon up and backs up on him, striking him in the head and shoulder for CRITICAL DAMAGE....To make things worse, he was the group's only medically-trained character..... :roll:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I thought of making a new skill program based on computer science which would be as follows:

Computer Science Program
Computer Operation
Computer Programming
Computer Hacking
Artificial Intelligence (Dead Reign Sourcebook)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mephisto wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I thought of making a new skill program based on computer science which would be as follows:

Computer Science Program
Computer Operation
Computer Programming
Computer Hacking
Artificial Intelligence (Dead Reign Sourcebook)

I wouldn't have Artificial Intelligence or Computer Hacking as skills, but I'd substitute it with the following two skills:

Computer Repair (as found in Ninjas and Superspies) and

Computer Networking (Computer)

This skill enables the character to build a collection of different networks, from Ethernet-based fully online Intranet capable networks to small exclusive peer to peer networks, to ones entirely remotely accessed (no keyboards or monitors on these computers!), the character is knowledgeable in the design and implementation of different Network Operating Systems, including Novell, Microsoft NT and Microsoft Server, Unix, FTP, UDP, and all associated terminology and technology. The character can see a network and analyze all associated computers and devices, can set passwords and access rights, and can expertly navigate through an online network.
Requirement: Computer Operation, Computer Repair, and Literacy
Base Skill: 30%, +5% per level of experience

Nice.
Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

Wow. This thread did kinda die off for a while. I'm working on a new campaign for my group for HU2 and have a few ideas floating around in my mind that I am attempting to write up. They should come through in the next few weeks or so as i get them written down. Just a lot of ideas swirling...so love to get the feedback. Forgive me if I've missed skills elsewhere; that's kinda my only major complaint about the Palladium books- the skills are SO spread out, but mostly focused around character development- making a more indepth person to play. I'd just adore a small sourcebook aimed exclusively at skills, reprinting them all and maybe adding some new ones.

Here's what I've got so far:

Television Repair- The skill to repair the wide variety of visual projection devices of the world, including LED, LCD, and classic picture tube screens. This also includes computer monitors and other viewing devices such as laptop screens, portable DVD players, etc. Base Skill- 40%+4% per level; requires Basic Electronics and Literacy.

Recreational Running- This skill is not as serious as the original Running skill; this is more like the person who runs a mile or two 2-3 times a week just to keep themselves in good cardiovascular shape. This type of running is not too physically demanding but does improves the body. Bonuses: +1 to P.E. and 1d4 to Speed.

Video Gaming- The hobby of playing video games on various consoles or PC systems. This skill leads to improved strategy and hand-eye coordination and also improves research skills and perception as the gamer is always looking for his enemy. Bonuses- add 5% to any skills involving hand-eye coordination and 5% to research skill (only when on the internet). Base skill: 20%+4% per level.
"Scalpel...blood bucket...priest...next patient!"- Dr. John Zoidberg

"Would ye care fer a wee nip of scotch whiskey?"

Chicago Blackhawks, 2009-10 and 2012-2013 Stanley Cup Champions!
Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

More...

Nursing- An advanced medical skill that includes monitoring and care of acutely ill patients. The skill includes knowledge in the function of life support equipment, advanced knowledge of medications, advanced life support techniques, and use of IVs. Nurses can also read EKGs, assess and treat injuries, and suture wounds with physician observation or approval. Base Skill- Diagnose a problem 40%+4% per level; treat problem 36%+4% per level. Requires Biology and Literacy.

Mixed Martial Arts- This is the physical skills involved in training for MMA style fighting- not a hand to hand skill. This involves a combination of weight training, boxing, wrestling, practice in a variety of martial arts, and strenuous aerobic exercise. NOTE: this skill counts as 2 physical skills and can only be taken with a skill program. Bonuses- +1 attack per melee; +3 to P.S.; +1 to P.P.; +3 to P.E.; +1d6 to Speed; +2 to parry and dodge; +1 to roll; +1 to pull punch; add 4d6 SDC; knockout on 19-20; pin/incapacitate on 18-20.

Trivia- This skill is a memory skill; it provides a chance that a character may in fact have very basic knowledge of a historically significant current or past event, person, place, or discovery. The skill attempts to tap into the subconscious knowledge base that all people have- that spot where the answer is on the tip of their tongue but they can’t seem to get it at first. This skill is only applied on subjects the character has no training of knowledge in (they don’t have the skill). Base Skill- 10%+1% per level; it is more than a random chance. The GM should determine if the skill applies by deciding whether or not the player character may have been exposed to the bit of information they are searching their memory for. IQ bonuses apply to this skill but are cut in half. Can only be taken as a secondary skill.
Pharmacology- The knowledge and understanding of medications and drugs, their side effects, interactions, and positive effects, as well as the knowledge to administer and identify them. Requires Chemistry: Basic, Literacy, and Basic Math. Base Skill- 36%+5% per level; +20% to identification if pharmaceutical references are handy.

Pilot: Drones- The skill to pilot unmanned aircraft such as the Predator. This includes basic knowledge of operation, function, and use of sensors on the aircraft. Base Skill- 55%+4% per level. Does not include Drone Combat; can only be taken with a Military or Espionage Skill Program.

Pilot: Drone Combat- This skill provides training and experience in air to air and air to ground combat involving unmanned drone aircraft. Provides a +3 to strike and +3 to dodge bonus. Base Skill- 60%+3% per level, used for dogfighting; can only be taken with a Military or Espionage Skill Program and requires Pilot: Drones.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Pharmacology is already covered by the books, as are the piloting skills similar to the ones for Drone. I like some of the others, though.
Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Pharmacology is already covered by the books, as are the piloting skills similar to the ones for Drone. I like some of the others, though.

Really? Where?

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Chemistry: Pharmaceutical is found in Dead Reign, among other places. As far as the drones skills, those are covered by the pilot aircraft skills already in existence, IMO.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

I think the drone skills are sufficiently different as to be their own skills. As for Trivia, however, that should not be its own skill since it is based on bits and pieces of other skills and is much like Research.
Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

Trivia was trying to incorporate the person who knows a lot of useless information; the person who just browses news sites- not in depth, mind you, just glancing over, reads a lot, may watch stuff like Discovery or NatGeo, and does really well at trivia games. The trick is that the information should have nothing at all to do with the character's regular skills- it's an attempt to quantify that feeling that you know something but just can't quite put your finger on it. I didn't really know if you could consider it a true skill but I gave it a shot.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Primus wrote:Trivia was trying to incorporate the person who knows a lot of useless information; the person who just browses news sites- not in depth, mind you, just glancing over, reads a lot, may watch stuff like Discovery or NatGeo, and does really well at trivia games. The trick is that the information should have nothing at all to do with the character's regular skills- it's an attempt to quantify that feeling that you know something but just can't quite put your finger on it. I didn't really know if you could consider it a true skill but I gave it a shot.

For "guessing", I usually give a character a % chance equal to their IQ attribute number of knowing a given fact about a skill they do not possess.
Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

I've done that as well. Whatever works best...heh heh.

Morse Code- The ability to send receive and translate messages in the language of Morse Code. Base Skill- 35%+5% per level. Requires literacy.

Cellular- The understanding of cellular communications, the operations of cellular devices including phones, smart phones, and two-way radios, and the operating systems that cover the globe to provide services. This skill can also allow a person to track a cell signal via the cellular network. Base skill- 35%+5%. Tracking via cell signal: 20%+4% per level. Requires Computer Operation.

Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

Looked up the Chem: Pharm skill and wanted to help differentiate from my Pharmocology skill. The Chem skill is is far to in-depth for a single skill-ESPECIALLY for one with no prerequisites. Pharmacology is what Pharmacists study to do their jobs and includes the side effects and interactions of medications. Pharmaceutical chemistry is what chemists study to create new medications. Both degrees are actually seperate Masters degrees. To combine the two into a single skill is a little ludircrous, IMO. That's why I put the Pharmocolgy skill into the Medical category, for those like me who can understand the difference between the two (I'm a nurse and have spent 15 years in health care).

Typing/Data Entry- The ability to quickly and efficiently use keyboards, typewriters, and other alphanumeric input devices. The number of mistakes are significantly reduced compared to those without the skill. Typing speed is equal to IQx5 in words per minute. Skill percentage denotes whether data was input correctly. Skill Base- 66%+3% per level.

Lore: Superhumans- The knowledge of the history of superheroes and supervillains in the world. This includes major past events and a knowledge of major and minor superheroes and villains from the past and present. Skill Base- 45%+5% per level.

Hypnosis- This skill provides the background and training for hypnotizing people. This type of hypnosis is therapeutic in nature and can be used to minimize the effects of phobias, calm nerves, and aid in relaxation. It is also effective in quitting smoking and drinking. Hypnosis CAN be used to interrogate, however it is virtually impossible as most hypnosis requires willing cooperation on the part of the person being hypnotized. Hypnosis is also useful to help recall information stored in the subconscious mind and remember details that may have faded to time. Skill Base- 34%+3% per level for successful hypnosis. If you are attempting to hypnotize an unwilling subject, factor in a -15% penalty + 1% point per M.E. and I.Q. point combined. For example, if a character has an IQ of 9 and an ME of 10, add 19% to the penalty for a combined penalty of 34%. This means at first level the hypnosis trained character has a 3% chance of successfully entrancing a hostile subject.

Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

Filmmaking- This skill provides knowledge of moviemaking, television production, and editing. It conveys the understanding of cameras, angles, lighting, and special effects. Skill Base- 30%+4% per level. Requires Photography.

Pyrotechnics- This skill revolves around the ability and understanding of how to use fireworks correctly and effectively. It includes knowledge of the different types of fireworks, wiring for activation, timing the fireworks for display, and building the launching devices. It also includes safety practices. Skill Base- 45%+5% per level. Requires Basic Electronics.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Primus wrote:Filmmaking- This skill provides knowledge of moviemaking, television production, and editing. It conveys the understanding of cameras, angles, lighting, and special effects. Skill Base- 30%+4% per level. Requires Photography.

Pyrotechnics- This skill revolves around the ability and understanding of how to use fireworks correctly and effectively. It includes knowledge of the different types of fireworks, wiring for activation, timing the fireworks for display, and building the launching devices. It also includes safety practices. Skill Base- 45%+5% per level. Requires Basic Electronics.

These are pretty cool.
Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

Negotiation- This skill involves professional training on how to be a third-party negotiator. It involves different techniques for helping to calm down sides of an argument, aiding in compromise, and treaty and license agreement laws. It allows the character to convey a sense of neutrality. Skill Base- 35%+5% per level. Add 2% for every point of M.A. above 18 and 1% for every point of P.B. above 18. -20% for neutralization of argument if sides are very angry. -10% if any fighting has been long-standing. Skill Base for designing treaties- 44%+4% per level.

Lore: Politics- This skill gives knowledge of the politics of the character’s home world including political parties, their history and leanings, knowledge of royal bloodlines (if applicable), and general intrigue. Skill Base: 36%+5% per level.

Primus
Explorer

Unread post by Primus »

Here are some fun new skill programs as well:

Carnie Program:
Juggling
Acrobatics
Clowning
Performance

Sniper Program (Advanced Military Specialist Program)
Sniper
Camouflage
Prowl
WP Bolt Action Rifle

Infiltration Program:
Impersonation
Disguise
Pick Locks
Forgery

CSI Program (Requires Master’s Degree):
Crime Scene Investigation
Criminal Science and Forensics
Biology
Forensics
Toxicology

Corpsman Program (Requires Master’s Degree; equivalent of a Physician's Assistant)
Paramedic
Biology
Field Surgery
Holistic Medicine

Advanced Computer Program (Requires Bachelor’s Degree)
Computer Operation
Computer Programming
Computer Networks
Supercomputers
Computer Repair

Politician Program:
Public Speaking
General Law
Lore: Politics
Negotiation

GreatArelius1
D-Bee

Unread post by GreatArelius1 »

Would anyone best interested in limited applications of martial art forms (e.g. kickboxing, Tai Chi physical skills) to represent partial training? There is definitely some benefits to the training but its not equivalent to mastery of the martial art.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Mephisto wrote:
GreatArelius1 wrote:Would anyone best interested in limited applications of martial art forms (e.g. kickboxing, Tai Chi physical skills) to represent partial training? There is definitely some benefits to the training but its not equivalent to mastery of the martial art.

Rifter 7 has a few skills that became official in BTS2 (aerobics and Kick Boxing) as well as other skills such as Qi Kung, Yoga, Tai Chi, Plyometrics and Dieting. Adding skills like Pilates and Chakra Meditation could also be beneficial.

I'd like to see the pilates and chakra meditation ones written up... How would you differentiate chakra meditation from the existing meditation skill?
blade76
Explorer

Unread post by blade76 »

Mephisto wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:
Mephisto wrote:
GreatArelius1 wrote:Would anyone best interested in limited applications of martial art forms (e.g. kickboxing, Tai Chi physical skills) to represent partial training? There is definitely some benefits to the training but its not equivalent to mastery of the martial art.

Rifter 7 has a few skills that became official in BTS2 (aerobics and Kick Boxing) as well as other skills such as Qi Kung, Yoga, Tai Chi, Plyometrics and Dieting. Adding skills like Pilates and Chakra Meditation could also be beneficial.

I'd like to see the pilates and chakra meditation ones written up... How would you differentiate chakra meditation from the existing meditation skill?

Pilates would involve exercises to strengthen the core and balance of the spine, so bonuses to balance and P.S. would be involved (haven't written it up yet). Chakra Meditation would unlock other abilities (based on the Chakra involved), whether Tantric, Bonpo, or Vajrayana. Once each Chakra is unlocked it would provide bonuses and abilities for the character to perform other abilities. Not really useful unless one is a Yogi, Transcendental, or Spiritualist that could actually access the unlocked abilities. It's a work in progress, more or less assembling notes and trying to make it confusing and unworkable.

Yeah, I would be very interested in using such skills to develop some of my characters who may want to increase their moves and skills repertoire in regards to martial arts and mysticism.
blade76
Explorer

Unread post by blade76 »

Mephisto wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:
Mephisto wrote:

Pilates would involve exercises to strengthen the core and balance of the spine, so bonuses to balance and P.S. would be involved (haven't written it up yet). Chakra Meditation would unlock other abilities (based on the Chakra involved), whether Tantric, Bonpo, or Vajrayana. Once each Chakra is unlocked it would provide bonuses and abilities for the character to perform other abilities. Not really useful unless one is a Yogi, Transcendental, or Spiritualist that could actually access the unlocked abilities. It's a work in progress, more or less assembling notes and trying to make it confusing and unworkable.

What ideas do you have for abilities based on chakra control , would be great for an ancient master unique skill set. Could you give examples if you have any?
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

That sounds WAY complicated. There is something to be said for concise and simple skills.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Complicated it may be, but if it gives advances per level and bonuses reflect this, complicated can be a good thing.
blade76
Explorer

Unread post by blade76 »

We need examples of what unlocked chakra points can do, could you post some ideas, please?
blade76
Explorer

Unread post by blade76 »

Mephisto wrote:
blade76 wrote:We need examples of what unlocked chakra points can do, could you post some ideas, please?

Well, when #5. Manipura is unlocked at the designated level (I'm thinking two to start, +1 at every third level (3, 6, 9, 12, and 15) since it's based on digestion, that the character can eat twice as much as a normal person without gaining weight, gains +2 to save vs poison, with +1 every two levels (so if selected at a later level, the bonus wouldn't be so impressive, because that chakra point hasn't been unlocked as long) and +2 to save vs drugs and toxins. Also, the character would never have digestive problems (such as colon cancer, conspitation, etc) because of the inward focus of the chakra and the unlocking of the chakra point.

It's also being tailored to be more in line with Mystic China, since Mystic China is kind of a fusion of HU2 and Ninjas and Superspies, with the skills and training required being so specific.

Can you describe the others, I hope to use these skills as a form of class based on meditative mastery( opposite of physical training) class.I scould really use the input.
blade76
Explorer

Unread post by blade76 »

Mephisto wrote:
blade76 wrote:
Mephisto wrote:
blade76 wrote:We need examples of what unlocked chakra points can do, could you post some ideas, please?

Well, when #5. Manipura is unlocked at the designated level (I'm thinking two to start, +1 at every third level (3, 6, 9, 12, and 15) since it's based on digestion, that the character can eat twice as much as a normal person without gaining weight, gains +2 to save vs poison, with +1 every two levels (so if selected at a later level, the bonus wouldn't be so impressive, because that chakra point hasn't been unlocked as long) and +2 to save vs drugs and toxins. Also, the character would never have digestive problems (such as colon cancer, conspitation, etc) because of the inward focus of the chakra and the unlocking of the chakra point.

It's also being tailored to be more in line with Mystic China, since Mystic China is kind of a fusion of HU2 and Ninjas and Superspies, with the skills and training required being so specific.

Can you describe the others, I hope to use these skills as a form of class based on meditative mastery( opposite of physical training) class.I scould really use the input.

I'm actually thinking of developing the material further, rather than the piecemeal approach that Rampage: Urban Jungle seems to be employing. Two or three (maybe four) martial art styles, three or four Life Paths, and some new abilities will all be part of it. I'm naming the material Hidden India for now until I come up with a better name, it's just not easy to create material in a vacuum and not play the darned stuff.

Could you give a rough idea of what a chakra point should offer( maybe we can come up with ideas to help you design the classes and martial arts such as

Viri, the Scarred Psychic

“Shouldn't we get him a doctor?” “No, I've seen this before, he'll be fine; not pretty but fine.” -Conversation between Containment Guardian Stoll and Agent Vertigo

The shortest resident of Containment Level Ten in terms of time spent, a mere three weeks, a lot is being learned about Viri. He was brought here from India for his own protection, as the locals were horrified at how injured and disfigured he was becoming. He tried to explain to the people that the Asuras were becoming more powerful and only a few like him, from the Lazlo Agency, could stop them. His pleas were ignored on humanitarian grounds and the American Consulate quickly grabbed him and sent him to the Glass Stairway to keep any such “incidents” from becoming public.
He hasn't been here long, but he has a good idea of what is going on. The names and faces may change but the story never does. He's already figured Lord Equinox is up to something, and that Icon can be trusted, but doesn't yet know what to make of Talos, Restabol, and Daltry. He rues the day he has to run into Monstrosity and has of yet made no contact with Sabine.

Aliases: Viri
Experience Level: 7th
Power Category: Natural Psychic
Alignment: Principled
Attributes: I.Q. 14, M.E. 23, M.A. 15, P.S 10, P.P. 15, P.E. 14, P.B. 12, Spd. 10
Hit Points: 36, S.D.C.: 30
P.P.E.: 13, I.S.P.: 136, Chi: 21 (Positive)
Appearance: An Indian man with short black hair and brown eyes, and an olive complexion. His entire body is covered with large black scars, long and straight and cross-patched over his frame.

Natural Abilities: Besides his Special Spiritual Abilities, he has normal human abilities.
Special Spiritual Abilities: As an avid practitioner of Yoga, he has developed some special abilities that go above and beyond the normal abilities of the Natural Psychic.
(1) Calm Self: With this ability, he enters a trance, and attempts to let his mind wash away any problems or negative thoughts. It takes two melee rounds in the Calm Self trance that is required to enter the state of Mental Focus. If anything happens to break the Calm Self trance, then it will have to be renewed. There is no limit the amount of attempts that the character can try the Calm Self trance.
(2) Mental Focus: While in a state of Mental Focus, the characters mind is calm, and the character is attempting to focus enough to enter the state of Transcendence, the most exalted state in Yoga. The Mental Focus state must be maintained for a minimum of three hours, before the attempt can be made to enter Transcendence, and the character can not be moved, touched, or even react or think about anything else. The character is aware of his surroundings, but instead chooses to keep meditating, to enter that extra realm. The Mental Focus state provides a bonus of +2 to save vs. magic that affects the mind, psionics, and the character is immune to possession and mind control because of the heightened state of consciousness of the character. The character can still use all of his psychic sensitive, healing, and super psionics that do not require physical movement. After the state of Mental Focus is up, the character in one melee round can enter Transcendence.
(3) Transcendence: While in a state of Transcendence the character enters a state that is difficult to describe so I will do my best. The characters mind is still in the characters body physically, but he can mentally sense all other minds out there; whether it's a Shadow Beast, an insect, a human, or an alien he can sense that mind. It's as if the characters mind is interacting with all of the other minds at the same time, within a very localized area. The stronger the mind (I.Q. And M.E.) the more likely he will sense it in that state. His mind doesn't project to everyone else's, they project to him. He can have unlimited I.S.P. Free telepathic communication with all of the minds in his range (limited to 100 feet/30 m + 10 feet/3 m per level of experience) but it's not like talking; it's more like “showing images that the character must interpret” unless it's with another psychic, then true mindspeak is possible. However, he can not sense anyone using a Mind Block or Mind Block Auto-Defense, or a robot. Non-psychics will get odd flashes in their head and may not be aware of what is going on, but psychics, parapsychologists, mages, and most scholars will be able to interpret the messages pretty easily. Note that he can use all of his psychic abilities while in a state of Transcendence. He is +5 to save vs. magic and psionics that affect the mind and is completely immune to mind control and possession.

Achilles Heel: Body Damage. There is a reason he is called the Scarred Psychic. Each attempt he makes at the Mental Focus and Transcendence takes a toll on his physical body. He suffers 1D6 damage every hour while in those two states, and the damage is always open cuts, starting on his arms, legs, then torso and finally face. The wounds are always very bloody and noticeable, but they heal at the normal rate (can not be magically or psionically healed).

I got this from an earlier post by another member, it focues on meditation, not sure if the power set was what you had in mind for the cumulation of a life path but put out some ideas and I'll try to give feedback on what I think you should do with it .Maybe even decide whether the gains justify what is required to acquire it.
blade76
Explorer

Unread post by blade76 »

Mephisto are you still doing chakra points, I'm hoping ti also explain chi/qi manipulation as well explaining wuxia abilities.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

This is not the thread to ask that in, and I have noticed you have posted this same question and derailed several other threads already. This thread is for SKILLS, not powers questions.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

We should compile the skill suggestions into the 1st post and give credit to who suggested it. I think it would be easier and if you really wanted it to be helpful put the skills under skill programs they would be under.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
GreatArelius1
D-Bee

Here is a few I tossed together for some players of mine; critiques welcomed.

KM Techniques
This skill represents the interest Krav Maga has given to enthusiasts in self-defense and fitness. The dedication of a character who takes KM techniques has done maybe a few months or casual training training to supplement their workout regiment. Fitness, strength combined disarm and striking techniques are fundamentals of these Krav Maga classes/seminars. Bonuses: +1 to disarm, +1 to unarmed strikes, +1 to P.S. and +2d4 S.D.C. Plus add the following strikes to the usual list of known attacks: Elbow strike, Forearm strike, Knee strike and Snap kick

Indoor Sports
This skill is for all the sports that a played in arenas or shorter fields indoor, like soccer, football to lacrosse. The conditioning and skills for indoor sports differ from their regular outdoor counterparts. The players are quicker on their feet and are a little tougher due to the barriers and floor crashes. Requirements: Football, General Athletics, Hockey or Running. Bonuses:
+1 to Initiative, +1 to Dodge, +1 to Roll with Impact, +1 to P.E., +1d6 to Speed, +2d4+1 to S.D.C.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Posted recently by Nimmy in another thread:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Pilot: Basic
Skateboards - The ability to, uh, ride a skateboard. This includes standard riding, as well as some "basic" tricks like ollies, rail jumping a curb, etc. Taken once, the character can select six [6] tricks or stunts. Taken a second time and 6 more tricks can be added. The characters speed is his normal running speed x2. Base Ability: 40% + 5% per level of experience.
35% + 5% per level - Sense of balance
+1 P.E.
+1 Roll with punch or fall.
+2D4 S.D.C.

Note: A skateboard used as a weapon will typically do 2D6 damage. An additional +1D6 can be added for specially made, reinforced skateboards. [carbon fibers, metal, razor edges (rare), etc...]
GreatArelius1
D-Bee

Thanks. I'm an avid sports guy. Played many in my day; still do soccer though. I will see if I can't come up with a few more.
GreatArelius1
D-Bee

Developed Reflexes
Requirements: Can not have super speed or extraordinary physical prowess or lightning reflexes
After battling or training with a super agile or super-speed individuals, a person's reflexes adjust to compensate for the for not being super fast. This could be through muscle memory, nervous system, predictability but the results are the same. When facing anyone with automatic dodge, their opponent is at a -2 penalty to automatic dodge. The developed person gets a +1 to initiative and +1 to roll with impact as well.
I conjured this up awhile back but its never been picked up by any of my players in any of my games.

As for football; I would probably have a general skill then have positions additions/skills for professionals or dedicated athletes. Hockey is ok in Canada Rifts; goalie is lacking there though.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”