Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Do you Think it,s time for 3nd Edition Heroes Unlimied?
Poll runs till Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:18 am
Yes; 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
No: 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 14
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:18 am

Knight

Do you think it,s time for 3nd Edition Heroes Unlimited?

How would you set it up?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:03 pm

D-Bee

Comment: wrote several power cat updates for the Rifter, and Cascade
guidesmegaverse.podbean.com
i'm starting to believe that the create a power option is probably the best way to do things. That said there's always going to be need for specific power concepts out there.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:05 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.
I say there is need for an up to date common rulebook for all Palladium games with settign books containing setting specific rules, so I guess that woudl count as a third edition

Dead Boy wrote:
All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:26 pm

Monk

While I agree with Jefffar that the rules need some cleaning up. But that only needs something like what PB did with Rifts when they published the RGMG.

Does the game need to be more realistic with the rifts MWP rules.... Absolutely NOT! It is a hero game and the MWP rules are just fine for that.

Does it need to be the exactly the same game as Rifts, Another absolutely not. A common Rulebook would ruin the non-rifts games. Making them just parts of the Rifts game. The common rules are fine...published within each games' Core Book.....along with the game specific rules.

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

I don't respond to people I've blocked, unless they are quoted.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:11 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Jefffar wrote:
I say there is need for an up to date common rulebook for all Palladium games with settign books containing setting specific rules, so I guess that woudl count as a third edition

I agree with Jeffar but I don't consider this a 3rd edition. I am afraid that if they do a true 3rd edition I'm afraid that the Megaverse, such as it is, will just fracture further.

Create a Palladium 2.0, primary rule system with everything you can cram in. Then start with one game, Heroes us actually a good one since it has magic, psionics, technology and super powers, and refine it then start adding more.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
While I agree with Jefffar that the rules need some cleaning up. But that only needs something like what PB did with Rifts when they published the RGMG.

Does the game need to be more realistic with the rifts MWP rules.... Absolutely NOT! It is a hero game and the MWP rules are just fine for that.

Does it need to be the exactly the same game as Rifts, Another absolutely not. A common Rulebook would ruin the non-rifts games. Making them just parts of the Rifts game. The common rules are fine...published within each games' Core Book.....along with the game specific rules.

I largely disagree with this. Just because there is a common rule set doesn't mean it becomes the same game.

Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:37 am

Monk

Warshield73 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

I largely disagree with this. Just because there is a common rule set doesn't mean it becomes the same game.

Then you missed what I meant. And Yes, if all the rules are the same in game B and in game A. Then B is equal to A, then they are, in effect, the same game. PB is not GURPS.

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:23 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Then you missed what I meant. And Yes, if all the rules are the same in game B and in game A. Then B is equal to A, then they are, in effect, the same game. PB is not GURPS.

First, from your earlier post what is MWP rules? I forgot to ask.

A common rule set doesn't mean the games are the same. Having a common set of say environmental rules so I have a set of penalties for moving in snow and how desert heat effects stats without going through 4 different books and getting 6 different set of rules (minor exaggeration, but only minor) would help players and GMs a lot. Combat already works mostly the same but a common set of penalties and bonuses all listed in one place can only help the individual games. Each game can add rules as necessary to what's in the common rules but games are not just rules, setting and character classes are far more important.

I am not looking for PB to be Gurps, I'm not even looking for it to be Savage Worlds but a little more streamlining and standardization wouldn't hurt.

Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:42 pm

Monk

modern WPs

There was a poster...sometime in the last two years said he'd want to make all the games have all the same rules. Because he said they were not the same system was why people were bad mouthing the PB games. ....It was hard to move characters from game to game.... It was heated. esspecily when he called me a lier cause I pointed out the PB games were all the same system. (which they are.....just look at DND ed 3, ed 3.5, ed 4, ed 5 & pathfinder ed 1&2...they are all the same system even if they are different games.). So maybe I over reacted. But that other post wants to basically scrap all the games other than rifts and just make it all one game, with different settings.

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:26 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Lakewood, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
There is no need to modify the rules. HU2 has some of the best rules of all the Palladium games and does not need to be rewritten. While it is not the best organized, we do not need a new edition to clean up the rules and streamline them. All that would be needed is a set of books with everything organized and clarified. We all know that is never going to happen. Be happy with the game as is.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 pm

Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
snip... All that would be needed is a set of books with everything organized and clarified. We all know that is never going to happen. Be happy with the game as is.

Like having books about each individual Power Cat. ?

Sort of like how PB consolidated all of the bionics into one book for Rifts?

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:55 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Lakewood, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Yes. PB started doing it with some of the power categories but didn't follow through with all of them.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:32 am

Hero

gaby wrote:

How would you set it up?

I thought that the latest edition WAS the third edition.

Lets see, there was Heroes Unlimited, then there was Heroes Unlimited revised, then came Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition.

Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:48 pm

Champion

NOOOOOooooo!!!!!

I have too much shelf space taken up by 1st & 2nd ed as is!

HOWEVER...if we were to see a working unified system for all games. I could deal with that.

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:20 pm

Wanderer

No to 3rd edition HU

The PB rpgs may have a bad rep due to the organization and rule inconsistancies between rulebooks, but adding a HU 3rd edition would probably anger just as many veteran players as it would please. More flame-wars across the Megaverse internet won't bring more players to the table.

Creating new content for use with the existing HU rulebook (and othet settings) has a better chance to bring more players, plus existing books (and their pdf versions) are readily available.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:14 pm

Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Yes. PB started doing it with some of the power categories but didn't follow through with all of them.

Makes some space, toss the rifts books. That is sort of what I did.

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:11 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

The problem with new HU books that expand on or outright replace the character classes that becomes a de facto 3rd edition and even more disorganized. I know because that is my situation.
In my games I:
- Replaced the education skill program system with a modified version
- Use Aliens Unlimited for Aliens character
- Use the Rifter versions of the Physical Training and all Special Training classes
- Major changes to Magical weapons and magic categories in Armageddon Unlimited

With all of this if we get a new Hardware book that replaces that class in the MB it will be almost useless to me and a lots of other people. If that book adds in robots and even bionics then the MB might as well be pulped (hyperbole).

SpiritInterface wrote:
gaby wrote:

How would you set it up?

I thought that the latest edition WAS the third edition.

Lets see, there was Heroes Unlimited, then there was Heroes Unlimited revised, then came Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition.

This is correct but PB is horrible with this. Also, I believe right now that Heroes Unlimited MB is the second oldest MB of any active PB game line. 2nd only to Nightbane I believe.

But HU is not the only mess. Look at Rifts, there is the original and Ultimate Edition. This is why I always say the next version of the Palladium Megaverse needs to be a 2.0 so that all the games can start somewhat fresh.

foilfodder wrote:
No to 3rd edition HU

The PB rpgs may have a bad rep due to the organization and rule inconsistancies between rulebooks, but adding a HU 3rd edition would probably anger just as many veteran players as it would please. More flame-wars across the Megaverse internet won't bring more players to the table.

Creating new content for use with the existing HU rulebook (and othet settings) has a better chance to bring more players, plus existing books (and their pdf versions) are readily available.

You are correct but this is unfortunately true of every book, film, and series in any fandom in existence right now.