Century station

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Riftmaker
Adventurer

Century station

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Where is Century station located in the US?
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Century station

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Riftmaker wrote:Where is Century station located in the US?

From the description it could be Detroit, San Francisco, Nome, Corpus Cristi... It is a major coastal port city that started as a mining town after the American Civil War. So you could place on any coast you want.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

It has no official location. It's up to the G.M. to decide where the city is located. This was left vague on purpose to emulate comic book cities like "Gotham," "Metropolis," "Coast City," "Central City," and any others I didn't list.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

In the artwork, the maps show Gramercy Island being in the waters to Century Station's east, so feasibly, it should be:

East Coast of Texas
Along Northern half of Illinois, putting Gramercy in Lake Michigan.
Along the southern half of Wisconsin
East Coast of the USA.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The Century Station book has this to say about Century Station's location:
Century Station, Page 35 wrote:Location Note: In game terms, one of the few aspects of Century Station deliberately left blank is its location. It is a coastal city in the United States, but after that, exactly where it lies is up to the Game Master. It could just as easily be within the crowded Northeastern Seaboard as it could be on the coast of Oregon or the Gulf of Mexico (Texas, Georgia, Florida, and such). Or, it could inhabit a fictional island somewhere. It doesn't really matter, just so long as its location fits conveniently within the boundaries of your campaign. Another reasons why the location is left blank was to pay homage to the great super-cities of comic book lore, such as DC Comic's Metropolis and Gotham City. Even though those cities were metaphors for real places such as New York, the fact that their precise locations were never nailed down lent a fantastic air to the places that went hand in hand with the equally fantastic champions and villains within the city limits.

Now that same section also says this about the city:
Century Station, Page 35 wrote:The city consists of a coastal, metropolitan lowland blocked off by Rattle Ridge, a low and thin system of hills that acts as a natural wall separating the inner city and the sprawling suburbs and farmland on the other side.

So basically: It's a coastal U.S. city. The map for the city shows that the city itself is to the West of its "deep coastal waters." The coast itself runs diagonally from Northwest to Southeast (like a backslash \ ) for about 30 or so miles (with an indent in the middle), but the U.S. coast doesn't have a lot of places where such a situation exists. Combine that with the rest of the description (coastal lowlands followed by a series of low hills) and its history (founded as a silver mining city right after the Civil War) and you really can't place it as analogous to any specific U.S. city.

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

There is an optional adventure for the city to be hit by a category six hurricane (Boris) so that to me says there is a strong
hint of putting it on the east or west coast.Second Gramercy Island Prison is an island so the idea of it in the middle of Lake
Michigan :| . Then again it is left entirely up to the G.M. Personally I always have it in Florida for my adventures.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Reagren Wright wrote:There is an optional adventure for the city to be hit by a category six hurricane (Boris) so that to me says there is a strong
hint of putting it on the east or west coast.Second Gramercy Island Prison is an island so the idea of it in the middle of Lake
Michigan :| . Then again it is left entirely up to the G.M. Personally I always have it in Florida for my adventures.

I didnt say it was a plausible place to put Century Station off the coast of Lake Michigan, merely that based on the maps provided where they show the coastline on the east, Illinois/Chicago & Wisconsin are potential possibilities.

Could always change the Island to a modified Barge Ship - a floating prison if you will.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Mentions Hurricanes, so US east coast.

Though when the book first came out, we were arguing about this a lot. We west coasters were sure it was on the west coast, with a silly map, and the east coasters were sure it was over there. Bill wrote it so it could be anywhere you need it, though.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

The funny thing about the Century Station maps is that there is no direction indicator telling us which way is North.

Why is this important? It is important because this means you can twist and turn the map in any direction you want or need to put it virtually any place in the world. Just because the coast like is shown to be on the right in the map doesn't mean a thing without knowing what direction the city is actually facing.

Okay... maybe there are directional references in the various neighborhood descriptions, but those are easy to change if needed. So could any directional reference on a map if you want to get technical... but since there are none on the maps, it makes it easier to place the city anywhere you need it to be.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

SpiritInterface wrote:

From the description it could be Detroit, San Francisco, Nome, Corpus Cristi... It is a major coastal port city that started as a mining town after the American Civil War. So you could place on any coast you want.

Ok, Detroit is a port city in the Lake Michigan, but aint calling it "coastal" a bit much? :-?

Glistam wrote:It has no official location. It's up to the G.M. to decide where the city is located. This was left vague on purpose to emulate comic book cities like "Gotham," "Metropolis," "Coast City," "Central City," and any others I didn't list.

Yes, it can be pretty much anywhere if the GM is in the mood to tweak. In one of my games it is AN DERELICT ALIEN SPACESHIP being repurposed as orbital watchpost and research center, with a sector dedicated to imprisoning alien criminals and invaders...

Or as my players call it "SDF-1 meets DS9, with a piece of Farscape stuck in, to make a hero's day to day life even more miserable." Love these guys. :lol:
Last edited by SolCannibal on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

SolCannibal wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:

Ok, Detroit is a port city in the Lake Michigan, but aint calling it "coastal" a bit much? :-?

Glistam wrote:It has no official location. It's up to the G.M. to decide where the city is located. This was left vague on purpose to emulate comic book cities like "Gotham," "Metropolis," "Coast City," "Central City," and any others I didn't list.

Yes, it can be pretty much anywhere if the GM is in the mood to tweak. In one of my games it is AN DERELICT ALIEN SPACESHIP being repurposed as orbital watchpost and research center, with a sector dedicated to imprisonning alien criminals and invaders...

Or in my players call it "SDF-1 meets DS9, with a piece of Farscape stuck in to make a hero's day to day life even more miserable." Love these guys. :lol:

Detroit is not on lake Michigan. It's on the other side of the state. It's actually on the Detroit river (odd I know), which connects to lake Claire which while being a big lake isn't one of the Great Lakes. So no, Detroit is definitely not a coastal city.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Chicago or Green Bay would work though.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
SolCannibal
Champion

Galroth wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:

Yes, it can be pretty much anywhere if the GM is in the mood to tweak. In one of my games it is AN DERELICT ALIEN SPACESHIP being repurposed as orbital watchpost and research center, with a sector dedicated to imprisonning alien criminals and invaders...

Or in my players call it "SDF-1 meets DS9, with a piece of Farscape stuck in to make a hero's day to day life even more miserable." Love these guys. :lol:

Detroit is not on lake Michigan. It's on the other side of the state. It's actually on the Detroit river (odd I know), which connects to lake Claire which while being a big lake isn't one of the Great Lakes. So no, Detroit is definitely not a coastal city.

My bad, did a quick look online and misinterpreted the incomplete parts i got. Anyway, even worse then. :-P
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

SolCannibal wrote:

That sounds like a pretty awesome game. I'd love to hear more.

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I put it in the Mass, Conn, New York state area. Simple.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
SolCannibal
Champion

Glistam wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

That sounds like a pretty awesome game. I'd love to hear more.

Well, it all started with a mistake on my part - early on when i was starting the game i read of a place called "Century Station" and, possibly due too much Aliens Unlimited & Skraypers in the head, misinterpreted it as Century Space Station, an international research center and orbital watchpost, but later on i would bring on some extras and the reveal that "the station" was actually the captured ship of a cabal of alien invaders of the 50s-60s that was disputed for a few years until a common agreement on how to explore the damn thing was settled through the UN's Security Council, so the crew and the occasional authorized supers would spend at least as much time exploring the place or dealing with nasty surprises from its diabolic systems as actually observing the solar system or potential alien threats.

Or at least that's what was known about it back then... about this time i came across the "a fifth portal to Dyval was found located in the sewers of a place called Century Station" reference in Dimension Book: Hades. While it made me think i might have erred somewhere, decided not to give a damn and just add detail - the PCs would find out through a number of adventures how deeper the mess went.

The invaders in the 50s-60s were not its actual makers, but just the most successful among the many waves of settlers/prisioners randomly rifted into the depths of its holds through the ages. A techno-sorcerous monstrosity built by a crew dead or gone long before anyone inside the thing knew (or admited to). Think some of the supernexus described in Rifts, like Calgary or St Louis, but with cyclopic TW-ruins everywhere and hard vacuum around it - not exactly appetizing for all crowds, eh? The "mutant clone armies & etc" the crew and several supers had been meeting and fighting for decades? Some were communities of refugees with no way out, others were the servants of beings with enough technical or esoteric knowledge to exploit the places transdimensional qualities for trade, espionage, infiltration - and rifting seemingly endless troops of faceless goons, with Solobaid, the deevyl's enclave in the station, being the worse of the lot.

Then i decided to actually take a look at the Century Station book and found it surprising simple to adapt and mine stuff beside the directions i had taken - "autonomous district" was upgraded into "autonomous protectorate" but a lot stayed the same under a lens of international intrigue and backroom dealing between governments and business trying to cash in as much as they could. And due to how i was enjoying the background buildup and because i love throwing a mess upon the PCs, i decided to play out my own versions of the arrival of Alpha Prime and the Bloody Sunday - and things got bloodier and messier by spades.

When things settled down, lots of alliances and betrayals went through and it looked like armageddon had nearly passed the planet twice over, governments fell, cities burned, the Covenant lost far more resources in the system than it imagined possible and one of reasons Dyval didn't take the whole system was a supervillain depopulating a part of the United States in a "rapture" that empowered the awakening of an empire of undead martians.

The international ultimatum, as one can guess, is a much more delicate, paranoid and tense thing, with authority in Century Station divided between UN (powered and non-powered) watchdogs, a Covenant enclave (that tried to take over the Station, failed but couldn't be quite pushed out), the Solobaid enclave (that receives reinforcements from Dyvval to hold the position) and the "Century Veterans", those heroes, villains and settled aliens/d-bees who weathered enough of the crisis to trust each other far more than arrogant or corrupt external authorities with no idea of the mess the place is, with silent but present support of the undead martians, what's a whole different can of worms in need of settling... :twisted:
everloss
Explorer

Unread post by everloss »

When I played in it using HU, I think it was put somewhere along the Gulf of Mexico. Just seems to fit in the South because of Diego Verde.

I use Century Station now (with a different name) as a location in my current campaign using a non-palladium system, based on 14th century Europe. It's the largest, most technologically advanced place on the planet, with a population larger than that of most nations. The empire that controls the land surrounding it allows the city to operate mostly free, with a tax against the nobility that control the city (who pass it on to the citizens). A religious order is about to carry out an Inquisition/purge to attempt to clear out the crime and decadence. The outerbelt freeway is an ancient defensive wall, and anyone born within it is cursed to never leave the city. Neighborhoods and districts are mostly the same. Since the city doesn't extend past the wall, it is built up, rather than out. So lots of gigantic structures in Midtown and Society Hill.

I've turned the map 90 degrees clockwise to fit geographically within the game world.

I consider Century Station to be one of the most useful RPG supplements ever made for any system.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Glistam has already quoted the book. In short, it's "Where ever the GM needs it to be". Coastal in general but you could put that many different places. Either of the coasts, or yes on the Great Lakes (People seriously underestimate how big these things are) Or even on the shores of a lake somewhere else. You're not constrained to real world geography. If you need a big ol Lake in Kansas and want to put it there. then have a party. Or put it on the shore of a river. They're all over too.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

I'm up and down on Century Station. It has some great ideas and some really terrible ones. So we tend towards looting ideas and transplanting concepts and sometimes entire districts to other locations.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
SolCannibal
Champion

Fictional cities are always great setting tools, as you mine bits of pieces to make up your own, or port one version or another whole cloth in your own 'verses.

Once relocated Gotham City, Metropolis and a bunch of DCs imaginary cities across Canada, Australia, British Isles and other english speaking countries as joke "first move" into a slightly more international homebrew world (based in a initial mix of Marvel-DC expies with a bunch of homebrew connecting or redirecting the dots).
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

Do to experiments with dimensional technology century station is no longer located in a fixed location.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Warmaster40k wrote:Do to experiments with dimensional technology century station is no longer located in a fixed location.

it is now next door to Springfield, USA
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SolCannibal
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Warmaster40k wrote:Do to experiments with dimensional technology century station is no longer located in a fixed location.

Which one?
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

SolCannibal wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

Which one?

Yes
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
SolCannibal
Champion

Warmaster40k wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

Which one?

Yes

Just as i thought. :)
Matt
D-Bee
Comment: Let's all have fun our own way and maybe, if we're lucky, sometimes those ways will intersect.

Unread post by Matt »

Springfield...almost as common as Greenville!

Lately I'm using the city of Seaboard as my new game setting was inspired by the Atlas Comics line that lasted from '74-'75.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I use the "Excelsior School" or "Excelsior Academy" in many of my games. Not for 'cities' but as an analog for well known comic tropes.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Unread post by Hunterrose »

Anyone have a pic (official or otherwise) of the Silver City Skydome? I'm trying to wrap my head around the shape and porportions described in the book. The closest I can imagine is the Los Angeles Westin Bonaventure with an additional 20 story dome on top of it....

The Skydome, an experimental building consisting of a
10-story foundation, eight support columns (which also
house elevators) filling an otherwise empty 30-story
space, and a 20-story "habitation module" on top of the
stilts. How this building keeps from falling over is a
wonder of modem architecture but numerous folks suspect
some kind of alien technique was involved. The
building is a commercial complex on the bottom and the
lower 10 stories of the upper module. The middle 10
stones of the upper module are residential, and the top
10 stories are enclosed by the world's largest geodesic
glass dome, which encloses a massive greenhouse
and biopark.
EugeneHann
Newb

Unread post by EugeneHann »

Not for 'cities' but as an analog for well known comic tropes.
SolCannibal
Champion

Hunterrose wrote:Anyone have a pic (official or otherwise) of the Silver City Skydome? I'm trying to wrap my head around the shape and porportions described in the book. The closest I can imagine is the Los Angeles Westin Bonaventure with an additional 20 story dome on top of it....

The Skydome, an experimental building consisting of a
10-story foundation, eight support columns (which also
house elevators) filling an otherwise empty 30-story
space, and a 20-story "habitation module" on top of the
stilts. How this building keeps from falling over is a
wonder of modem architecture but numerous folks suspect
some kind of alien technique was involved. The
building is a commercial complex on the bottom and the
lower 10 stories of the upper module. The middle 10
stones of the upper module are residential, and the top
10 stories are enclosed by the world's largest geodesic
glass dome, which encloses a massive greenhouse
and biopark.

Kind of like this perhaps? The "support columns filling an otherwise empty 30-story space" bit got me thinking of that me thinking of that kind of retrofuturistic aesthetic.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I always used CS as Houston ish.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

RockJock wrote:I always used CS as Houston ish.

Living in Houston for 25 years now I just never got a "Texas" vide from the description. East coast of course works best given all the descriptions and history so you don't need to change anything. The west coast is easy just make a few changes to description and say it was hit by a rare typhoon. I mean the description of a silver mine sure doesn't sound east coast to me so any location needs some work.

I almost always put it on the west coast somewhere between San Francisco and LA or North between San Francisco and the Canadian border. One place I thought would be a good location was on Lake Huron right on the Michigan/Ontario border and make it a truly international city governed by bother nations or even NATO if you want to do some Cold War stuff.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
matt.reed
Wanderer
Comment: wrote several power cat updates for the Rifter, and Cascade
guidesmegaverse.podbean.com

Unread post by matt.reed »

I put my CS in Florida, essentially replacing Miami or so.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”