Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Upgrading Minor Heroes
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:01 am

Hero

Comment: They/Them
I'm interested in putting together a bit of an escalating archetype for an NPC in a module. My intention is that it be useful both in convention games accommodating pre-gen parties of disparate power levels, as well as with depicting a recurring nemesis. I thought about PU2's Minor Heroes as a possible stage in this progression, and was wondering if others have either done something similar, or perhaps just scaled a sidekick up to hero status in a home game.

The Demon Caller from Chaos Earth: Rise of Magic is nominally a practitioner of magic O.C.C., but is largely reliant on bluster and being in the right place to come across to others as a summoner. They develop a small P.P.E. pool for use by those demons they entice to hang around, but have no spell knowledge themselves. They can call demons, with increased likelihood on/near a Blue Zone/ley line, but this is distinct from summoning. Their skill list is akin to that of a HU character from an advanced culture without much higher education.

I want to use a Minor Hero as an intermediary stage in between Demon Caller and perhaps Mystically Empowered by a Demon Lord, the progression culminating with one of Rifts Shifter/Mega-Hero/PU2 Immortal. The Minor Hero would make use of the minor superpower Summon Lesser Demon/Devil from Armageddon Unlimited, and maintain their fairly small P.P.E. pool which they can't use as something falling a little below a second minor power.

When scaling up a Minor Hero would, in the peanut gallery's opinion, it be more useful to maintain continuity by showing how Minor modifications are undone, or instead keep things tidy by just recreating the character at the next tier? How would you handle such a NPC's initial spell access? How much of this could even reasonably be noticeable in a con module's series of stat blocks?

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:34 pm

Knight

Are you going to have character sheet for each level, so as the PC goes up a level, you replace the sheet with a new one?
Alternately, do you want to have a mixed OCC of levels 1 through X having the abilities of a Demon Caller, then from X to Y switching/upgrading abilities to those of a Minor Hero with Demon Caller looking SFX, and then from level Y to Z becoming a full Mystically Empowered character?

If the first, then it shouldn't be very noticeable as long as there is an in-game explanation and the PC doesn't lose anything the player really loved.

If the second, you might just want to make a new OCC called...um...something really cool (empowered mystical demon caller? Nah, that's terrible...) so that each level of progression you mix the class abilities that you think should go there. I think that this approach is the best from a GM perspective as it allows you to build in stuff that the game/party will need at each stage.

-STS

Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 am

Champion

Curbludgeon wrote:
I want to use a Minor Hero as an intermediary stage in between Demon Caller and perhaps Mystically Empowered by a Demon Lord, the progression culminating with one of Rifts Shifter/Mega-Hero/PU2 Immortal. The Minor Hero would make use of the minor superpower Summon Lesser Demon/Devil from Armageddon Unlimited, and maintain their fairly small P.P.E. pool which they can't use as something falling a little below a second minor power.

Sounds like a Witch with one or more pacts.
You can also consider possibly using Companion Immortal from Mystic China.
Also, Empowered by Weapon/Item at later levels could work too.

Having the baddie gain wealth & power can also make a 3rd rate joke start threatening like a 1st rate Nemesis.
If your baddie also happens to have some skills, he can CREATE his own tech/powers (think Dr. Doom). He (or she) could also trade favours/cash/etc for additional power effects. If he is rich enough, he can PAY people to create technology to create powers for him.

Anyway, good luck!

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.