Language and Literacy issue

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

plotulus
D-Bee

Language and Literacy issue

Unread post by plotulus »

Why does a Nightbane have roughly 70% Native language skill but a Character in Rifts or Dead Reign have a Base Native Language of 88%? Did the Nightlords screw with the education system before Dark Day? Or is this just a typo?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Language and Literacy issue

Unread post by Shark_Force »

not 100% sure, but i believe the basic assumption is that a typical nightbane gets stuck in the war at a younger age, and likely is more worried about things other than literacy and language skills once they've got those skills to an adequate level.
plotulus
D-Bee

Unread post by plotulus »

It looks like there is actually no Native language skill in Nightbane. Also I suppose that makes a sort of sense but then why does the base skill of Language start at 50%. Even characters who are potentially 30+ years old or even centuries old have that issue.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Nightbane is one of the older systems, Rifts under the old RMB had about the same percentages, even lower in some cases. The older games just had languages with no distinction between native or otherwise except for OCC bonuses.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Language problems would be more understandable in post-apocalyptic isolationist settings. That said, some of the Rifts OCCs seem to be written with the assumption of there being a default language skill, even if we're not able to find it.

Pg 80 the Rogue Scholar for example, after Literacy +50% has "Two additional languages of choice +30%"

In addition to what?

P 79 the Rogue Scientist has no Language skill at all, but does have Literacy +40%. I guess you could assume they're only capable of writing a language like American but can't speak it...

Pg 31 of Rifts says "Characters with a language skill can understand and speak in a language other than their own native tongue".

This seems to imply that everyone can speak in their native tongue without needing a language skill. This concept of course got muddled once OCCs started listing native languages at 90-98% in subsequent books.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

I've found that even games with interlocking systems of rules, when different people take the helm for writing source books there are no "standard" rules. You can probably even find more skills with different base percentages when you look hard enough. Or very similar spells that have differing PPE costs.
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

IIRC, Nightbane was one of the first settings where PCs actually took their native language as a skill. Prior to that it was assumed that the PCs could speak the language they were raised in. So my guess as to why the NB skill starts lower than the RUE version is that the company later decided that the starting percentage was too low.
knightmare6
D-Bee

Unread post by knightmare6 »

Nightlords trying to take over would want to limit access to education, so their political minions would over the decades, reduce education funds, limit information in textbooks. Easier to take over the Earth if the populace is dumb and uneducated. While the invasion is hyped up after Dark Day, it's been happening gradually before Dark Day as well.

I see the lowered skill, as well as the need to take it as a reflection of that in the Nightbane setting
Last edited by knightmare6 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

plotulus wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:27 pm Why does a Nightbane have roughly 70% Native language skill but a Character in Rifts or Dead Reign have a Base Native Language of 88%? Did the Nightlords screw with the education system before Dark Day? Or is this just a typo?
And it better reflects the real world. Not everyone is a poet or author who use large vocabulary regularly.

t is a 'Different Game' then those other two Games, so it has it's own tweaks to fit the NB/NS setting.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

knightmare6 and drewkitty ~..~ got it right... I think it is a fundamental reflection of the state of the world from the perspective of PCs who are obligated to prioritize survival. But when it comes to the native language, it doesn't really make much of a difference in-game unless they are engaging in wordplay with another PC or NPC. I actually like the lower % for a native language as it allos a PC to grow and develop linguistically.

It could also perhaps reflect that, in RUE, "American" as a language has been so devolved that it is very easy to master, while the "English" of NB includes the archaic and stilted language of the over-educated.
Snicker
D-Bee

Unread post by Snicker »

Nightbane special hardcover edition, page 56 wrote: By the end of the 20th century, literacy has decreased even in industrialized nations, to the point that the U.S. enjoyed less than a 90% literacy rate among the adult population.
I'm not surprised people missed this, since I don't expect most experienced players to double-check the Literacy skill description. ;)
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Snicker wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:22 pm
Nightbane special hardcover edition, page 56 wrote: By the end of the 20th century, literacy has decreased even in industrialized nations, to the point that the U.S. enjoyed less than a 90% literacy rate among the adult population.
I'm not surprised people missed this, since I don't expect most experienced players to double-check the Literacy skill description. ;)
Interesting, because the average literacy rate (> Level 1, the lowest basic reading comprehension) across all US states is 79% IRL.

Art imitating life or life imitating art?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Snicker wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:22 pm
Not suprised, I've had arguments with people who ether...: don't read the descriptive text, or throw it out of their understanding of the canon text because it is not hard stats.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

I think the reason that the RUE version starts higher is tied into how it advances much more slowly. Look at the level progressions (assuming no bonuses):
  • 1st: NB 50%/30% (both) vs. RUE 88%/40% (native) 50%/30% (other)
  • 2nd: NB 55%/35% (both) vs. RUE 89%/45% (native) 53%/35% (other)
  • 3rd: NB 60%/40% (both) vs. RUE 90%/50% (native) 56%/40% (other)
  • 4th: NB 65%/45% (both) vs. RUE 91%/55% (native) 59%/45% (other)
  • 5th: NB 70%/50% (both) vs. RUE 92%/60% (native) 62%/50% (other)
  • 6th: NB 75%/55% (both) vs. RUE 93%/65% (native) 65%/55% (other)
  • 7th: NB 80%/60% (both) vs. RUE 94%/70% (native) 68%/60% (other)
  • 8th: NB 85%/65% (both) vs. RUE 95%/75% (native) 71%/65% (other)
  • 9th: NB 90%/70% (both) vs. RUE 98 (99)%/80% (native) 74%/70% (other)
  • 10th: NB 95%/75% (both) vs. RUE 98 (100)%/85% (native) 77%/75% (other)
  • 11th: NB 98 (100)%/80% (both) vs. RUE 98 (101)%/90% (native) 80%/80% (other)
  • 12th: NB 98 (105)%/85% (both) vs. RUE 98 (102)%/95% (native) 83%/85% (other)
Nightbane characters catch up to RUE characters by 11th level in terms of speaking their native language fluently, but have already surpassed them in speaking a non-native language by 2nd level. As for writing it, the Nightbane character always seems to lag behind the literate RUE character, but in Rifts Earth the vast majority of characters have to choose literacy, instead of getting it for free. It would be like a situation where, if you weren't forced to attend school for your pre-college years, would you even bother learning how to write, & how well would you even master it? By the same token, the Nightbane characters being able to progress faster with foreign languages represents that the modern world is much more globalized: people move to different countries all of the time, many people learn additional languages even in middle & high school (or even younger, outside of the USA); in Rifts Earth, however, in many ways it's almost a return to feudal times, where the majority of people literally are born, educated, & die in the same village or town, many times the same one that their parents, grandparents, & even great-grandparents lived in, so the societal pressure to learn a new language is much less...& if you do, your opportunities for practical application are probably more with the written word than the spoken word. By the same token, in Rifts Earth, because so many characters (even among the non-humans) are not literate, spoken proficiency in your native language becomes even more critical, because you have to make sure your meaning is conveyed in a way that the other person can understand you.

Personally, I prefer the breakup of "native" vs. "other" language in RUE, as it directly illustrates how a non-native speaker of a langauge has to work harder & spend more time (i.e. more levels) to achieve the same proficiency as the average native speaker. If you do want to incorporate them into a Nightbane setting, however, then I would recommend for the "native" language that you subtract 30% from any listed bonus. This would still put the Warlord Nightbanes at a base of 68% at 1st level, & pretty much eliminate any Nightbane setting character (except maybe those with an extremely high IQ) from maxing out their Language: Native skill at 1st level...

Return to “Nightbane®”