Rookie MA journal: Gen Con 2016

Discussion of the Megaversal Ambassador program.

Moderators: Reelman, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glorath
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rookie MA journal: Gen Con 2016

Unread post by Glorath »

Hello friends!

I thought I would share my experience as a Megaversal Ambassador at GenCon 2016 for those who might be interested. This was the first time that I have ever run an event at a convention. I am a Middle School teacher, and I run games for a club that I sponsor at school. I have also run the occasional store event, and have run games for my local group. But this was different. I became a bit nervous as the convention dates drew near; wondering if I was prepared, wondering if the players would enjoy my style of gaming, wondering if I would mess up on the rules. I arrived on Wednesday afternoon, and stayed in my hotel room, frantically working on contingency plans if the adventure went sour. I had scheduled to run my game for all four days of the convention, from 8 in the morning until noon. I think I finally fell asleep Thursday morning around 2am.

I woke at 6:30 on Thursday morning, grabbed a shower, and headed for the gaming area. I arrived about 20 minutes early and unpacked my things. Jake came by in a tricorn hat and gave me my GM packets. He was very friendly and encouraging. As soon as he left, my players began to arrive. None of them had played Heroes Unlimited before, and they were all exceptionally pleasant people. We eased into the game, and before long my alarm went off. I had set it for halfway through the session, to allow for a brief break. The players were back quickly and we resumed our game. It was one of the most enjoyable game sessions that I have ever been part of. After it was over, my players came up individually and thanked me for running the game. They all left with smiling faces, and I felt great! I filled out the GM paperwork and glanced at their feedback. It was such a positive experience! I felt confident that I had a scenario that was enjoyable, and I spent an hour reviewing my notes and studying rules situations that we had "hand waved" during the game.

I grabbed lunch and spent the remainder of the day playing in two supers gaming sessions (I LOVE supers RPGs!) the games utilized other systems, and while I enjoyed them, I still feel strongly that Heroes Unlimited captures what I want in a game. The second game ran until after midnight, so I got back to the hotel and went to sleep about 1:30. I knew that the next morning would bring a new group, and I had a ticket to play in a game of Heroes Unlimited run by Glen Evans. I couldn't wait for 6:30 am...
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
Glorath
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Rookie MA journal: Gen Con 2016

Unread post by Glorath »

Day 2

I got to the gaming area about 15 minutes before the game was scheduled to start. The players for this session were experienced Rifts players. I was a bit nervous, because their local GM was playing along with the others. We began the scenario, and I noticed that the group was really into the role playing aspect. I decided to play the villains "over the top", which led to a very intense game session. The players seemed to enjoy the session, and were very encouraging after we had finished.
I grabbed a quick lunch and returned to play in Glen Evans' game. I must say, I totally enjoyed Glen's game. The characters were very dynamic, and the npc portrayals were amazing! It was a wonderful game, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Afterwards, I jotted down some notes from Glen's GM style in hopes of improving my own game mastering. He was so relaxed, and he told a great story. I returned to my hotel around 10:30 that evening and re-read my notes and adventure. I was anxious to begin the second half of my GM experience, and dozed off at some point after midnight.
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.

Return to “Megaversal Ambassadors”