Why do people think humans are weak?

Discussion of the Megaversal Ambassador program.

Moderators: Reelman, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

flatline
Knight

Re: Why do people think humans are weak?

Unread post by flatline »

You're setting the bar pretty low if you consider shooting the head or using terrain to your advantage to be "thinking outside the box".

Playing a human has a huge opportunity cost since you're giving up every advantage that you might have gotten by choosing some other race (MDC, supernatural strength, bio-regeneration, natural abilities, etc). Whether or not that matters depends entirely on the GM, players, and campaign.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I love playing humans, they're my preferred race. However, if I play a D-Bee I make sure to play up the differences in thinking and culture. I think its just the same thing everyone has always had with RPGs man. "Why would I be a human if I could be an Elf and have cool power X, Y, and Z."
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I only play humans - they are the cockroaches of the galaxy sci-fi trope
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Video explanation.

Humans, as presented in Palladium's products, ARE weak.

Here's a tough question: Who is weaker than humans? I can think of two arguable examples:

Gnomes. They get some nice skill bonuses and stat bonuses in specific areas, but overall, they are weaker. They're also tiny people who are meant to not be strong warrior-types. In an MDC environment, where a simple vibro-knife is insta-death to an unarmored SDC human anyway, it's not much of a weakness.

Changelings. Slower, fewer hit points, intolerant of alcohol, and intolerant of salt. On the plus side, they're nearly invincible against mental attack, and they're friggin' changelings!

... basically, that's it. Every other species is either equivalent to humans, weaker in one or two token areas, but otherwise equivalent or better, or across-the-board superior. Even the above two examples have their redeeming qualities.

I suppose that humans are presented this way because we want our game to be larger-than-life, not smaller-than-life. If Palladium released a game in which humans were giants, and every other sentient species else was primitive, dumb, weak, and tiny, how interesting would that be?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Because humans don't have any stat bonuses or powers right out of the box aside from a chance at exceptional attributes and possible psionic powers (and a low one at that). What people often don't see is that humans aren't restricted by their race, can be just about anything, can come from almost anywhere (including Hades) and there is much greater variation between members of the same species (3-30 per attribute, per person out of the box).

Non-human species have much more power and perks often enough, but they are also often limited in what class they can take (if any) and don't receive the benefit of bonus dice for exceptional stats due to attribute bonuses already built in (and often to emphasis one or two race-specific traits). The end result of this is that members of the same non-human race will tend to have less variation in their attributes and defining characteristics.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
tgunner91
Explorer

Unread post by tgunner91 »

Right now I only play with human characters. Yeah they are weak, so you have to work hard to succeed. That means many more XPs. RCCs that can get by without breaking a sweat don't get a lot from me. Why should they? When you have super abilities most things come easy. So what do you learn?

It sounds to me like you have some jaded players.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Humans suck... Why would you even want to play something so weak in such a super-powered world. Even with body armor 3-4 shots from a 1d6x10 weapon and you are vaporized! I'm not saying I haven't played them, but I was always so worried in the back of mind, that I never really gave much of a thought of longevity, because I knew I was always a trigger pull or spell away from death, even at level 15. S.D.C. beings barely exist in my campaigns and when they do, they die fast and hard and are usually fodder. The only way I could see this working is if you're entire campaign was S.D.C. based, or localized to someplace small, like Chi-Town. Even in a standard non-uber game, once you get global, megaversal or inter-dimensional, you're dead.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

It's all situational. You can play a human wilderness scout with Huntsman armor and a Wilks 357 laser rifle and walk around feeling like a god of the wilderness in some areas and adventures. In others, you'd feel like an insect trying to avoid getting splattered by windshields on the interstate. Either state of mind can be fun, especially if they overlap in the same game.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

MaxxSterling wrote:Humans suck... Why would you even want to play something so weak in such a super-powered world. Even with body armor 3-4 shots from a 1d6x10 weapon and you are vaporized! I'm not saying I haven't played them, but I was always so worried in the back of mind, that I never really gave much of a thought of longevity, because I knew I was always a trigger pull or spell away from death, even at level 15. S.D.C. beings barely exist in my campaigns and when they do, they die fast and hard and are usually fodder. The only way I could see this working is if you're entire campaign was S.D.C. based, or localized to someplace small, like Chi-Town. Even in a standard non-uber game, once you get global, megaversal or inter-dimensional, you're dead.

If that were the case, there wouldn't be humans in places like the three galaxies.

Besides, everyone is a trigger pull away from death when you have the right weapon. :bandit:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I let normal human Pc's pick one attribute at 24. And use 4D6 drop the lowest one for the rest. Didn't take long before my hatred of high IQ's developed (look at the bonus to skills Yo).
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

All time Favorite sdc race.. Amaki Stonemen (not psychic) slap a titan juicer upgrade on and 15+ years stonefisted carnage....until you fail a trap/mine detection roll and poof. Dust clouded by a fusionblock.
Malleable
Wanderer

Unread post by Malleable »

Humans are weaker - at least in an MDC environment. Its MDC concept that you're basically invulnerable to normal damage (and HPs are insane). The other SDC races have some advantage over humans, but really its normally not too much.

For me I always saw humans as a race that were MUCH more flexible and adaptive. They advance and learn quicker than the other races of the megaverse - and spread like a virus.

I thought humans should get an XP bonus and have less restriction on changing O.C.C.s.

Personally I avoid playing nonhumans, but strive to make my human character progress to god-like power .

Mal
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

On the brighter side, humans can get magic tattoos... though ogres and true atlanteans and chiang-ku can too.

Oh, but humans get lots of human-only OCCs in the CS, NGR, and a few other places.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!

Return to “Megaversal Ambassadors”