Longbowman strike bonuses

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Longbowman strike bonuses

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I think the obvious answer is just W.P. Archery, but it's strange. The Longbowman OCC does NOT use W.P. Archery for fate of fire or for distance, and the Longbowman has a special aimed shot. But there is nothing in the description about bonuses to strike. It does say that the W.P. Archery bonuses are half for a non-longbow, but there's nothing about increased bonused for the longbow. It seems like a shortcoming. The Longbowman gets negatives for using a non-longbow, but gets no benefit to strike for using the preferred weapon. Am I missing something?

-Vek
"And why does wearing heavy armor reduce the Longbowman's RoF with a longbow but it doesn't affect the Ranger's RoF with a longbow?"
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: Longbowman strike bonuses

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I agree - I noticed that myself. It is a definite mis-step from Palladium not to give the longbowman any bonuses to strike with a longbow. They do get the bonus from targeting, but almost anyone can get that.

One thing I do is the following: they get the "special" +3 bonus aimed shot, which is not that special at all - only +1 above anyone who selects the sniper skill. But they also get the sniper skill, which grants +2 to strike on an aimed shot. I stack these, for a bonus of +5. I assume that was the intent - gotta give 'em something! :-D

And in answer to your last question - maybe because Palladium have once again dropped important rules that affect all characters into the description for a specific O.C.C. - like the penalty to dodge and parry arrows not found anywhere else in the book! We had no idea there was a penalty to dodge arrows for decades of playing until someone actually wanted to roll up a longbowman and found that rule. Why isn't that in the combat section? Typical.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I do think the Longbowman OCC (PF2E pg83-5) does use the W.P. Archery skill. You will note that under the OCC skill list (pg84) it does list "W.P. Archery (all bows)", followed by "W.P. Targeting". The way the W.P. appears in the OCC listing is very odd and unique for the 2E Main RPG character classes (Megaversally even this is odd AFAIK outside of specific lines that have WP that are essentially subdivided compared to PF2E rules).

To me that is saying that the Longbowman's WP: Archery skill is not the same as the baseline skill, what is listed under the Special Ability #1 (Superior Bowmanship) are modifiers to the Archery Skill when using a Longbow (applicable to the Longbowman OCC and Ranger OCC, who is the only other class in the mainbook who can select WP Longbow).

EDIT: I'd also add that +3strike on AIMED shot is at level 1, it would take a normal WP Archery skill until 6th level to match that (4th w/WP Targeting). Though I do agree its front loaded as there is no progression in terms of Aimed Strike bonuses.

As for you end question about Rangers and WP Longbow w/Armor. I'd say that the armor penalties from Longbowman do apply to Rangers (or anyone else) when using a Longbow as Ranger still encounters the usual penalties (it's just poorly organized in the book, IMHO).
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

When Yin Sloth Jungle came out the Sniper skill did the following: Bonuses: In addition to the +2 to strike, the sniper
inflicts double damage from surprise, long range attacks (usually limited to the first and second shots) and the standard
weapon range is increased by 25% in the hands of this expert. If the sniper rolls a 20 (or higher), modified or not, the attack
does triple damage! Applicable only to the sling, blowgun and bow. I still apply this skill ability to all longbow men,
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I have fairly well defined ranged combat rules so the longbowman get abilities that reduce the negatives caused by movement, weather and range, and get them with any ranged weapon. They can also do trickshots like firing two arrows at once, or shooting a weapon out of someones hand, or into a melee with little chance of hitting friendlies.
(I also only play 1st ed so not as much of a problem for me)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”