PF Fantasy Editions

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

StormGryffen
D-Bee

PF Fantasy Editions

Unread post by StormGryffen »

Hello everyone.

I recently got back into two of my favorite games after a close to 20 year hiatus - RIFTS and Heroes Unlimited. While I used to have just the Palladium Fantasy rule book, things have changed a lot since last I played and I had some questions about how I should invest in getting a game going.

I'm confused foremost by 1st and second edition books, how some books seemed to have been skipped in the revision process? Specifically, it looks like books 4, 5, 6, and 7 were never revised for 2nd edition? How does this affect their usefulness? Should I just ignore them until they're updated? My goal is to run a second edition game.

Thanks.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: PF Fantasy Editions

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Ok, so...

Books 4 & 5 were somewhat reconstituted as Wolfen Empire

Book 6 never got officially reworked.

I know book 7 got pitched for a rework, but it hasn't been published.

Generally, the books are useful, but you have to do a fair amount conversion... update their attacks and bonuses, double check their HP and give them SDC, that sort of thing.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
StormGryffen
D-Bee

Unread post by StormGryffen »

Mark Hall wrote:Ok, so...

Books 4 & 5 were somewhat reconstituted as Wolfen Empire

Book 6 never got officially reworked.

I know book 7 got pitched for a rework, but it hasn't been published.

Generally, the books are useful, but you have to do a fair amount conversion... update their attacks and bonuses, double check their HP and give them SDC, that sort of thing.

Thanks! That helps me out a lot.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There are two things that I reasoned out "Why?" books weren't 'updated'.
#1 the books mostly 'work' 'as is'.
#2 the book's author was no longer available (for one of many reasons) to do a rewrite.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I don't typically use characters from sourcebooks but there are many other thing you can use from them without needing conversion.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

StormGryffen wrote:Hello everyone.

I recently got back into two of my favorite games after a close to 20 year hiatus - RIFTS and Heroes Unlimited. While I used to have just the Palladium Fantasy rule book, things have changed a lot since last I played and I had some questions about how I should invest in getting a game going.

I'm confused foremost by 1st and second edition books, how some books seemed to have been skipped in the revision process? Specifically, it looks like books 4, 5, 6, and 7 were never revised for 2nd edition? How does this affect their usefulness? Should I just ignore them until they're updated? My goal is to run a second edition game.

Thanks.

Yin Sloth is still in 1st edition because Palladium owns lots of unsold copies still. When they're gone you will likely see 2nd edition version come out. Two guys were working
on this 2nd edition book. You can see some of their official cannon work in various Rifters such as updating the skills and spells that never got brought over like Strength of
Utgard Loki. Island at the Edge of the World is just an 1st edition adventure. However, I use some of the material in the book during the writing of the Lopan manuscript,
namely about the Old Kingdom. All the material involving the Floenry Islands is already updated with Adventures on the High Seas 2nd edition. As for the Old Kingdom Books,
a sore subject but something Kevin would love to work on along with 8-10 other projects.
Chris
Explorer

Unread post by Chris »

Well, yall thought about maybe doing a 2e Yin Sloth Jungles / Land of the South Winds mash up?

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”