Knightly Orders

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ironpig II
D-Bee

Knightly Orders

Unread post by Ironpig II »

I was brainstorming and could not find the info I was searching for. Names of knight/palladin orders. I know I’ve seen them somewhere. I could not find them in old ones book.

Always been a big fan of palladium, and now bc of stay at home orders, I’m dusting off some of the books. might even try to run an adventure with the kids. I have some ideas, but since I haven’t read through most of the books in a while, I’m in need of help.

Thanks. And don’t forget to wash hands you filthy animals!
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Re: Knightly Orders

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Sisterhood of the Northern Knights (Disputed Zone, E.T.)
Order of the Lance
Mistoan Order (based in Llorn)
Order of the Sword (A Rurga order)
Order of the Maple (Cirga order)
Order of the Tree (A Rurga order)
Order of the Scale (A Rurga order)
Penington Order (Peningshir-specific order)
Drakko Order (ancient Elven Order from the final days of the New kingdom... prob no longer existent)

Rifter 15 also lists several more that are based in the Easter Territory.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

How about Knightly Orders in Timiro and Western Empire?

Like the Order of Old Timiro,
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

gaby wrote:How about Knightly Orders in Timiro and Western Empire?

Can't Remember if they were a Knightly Order but Timiro had the sentinels, and they were definitely cavalry.
Braden Campbell

In the Western Empire, knights are raised up by the nobility, but then control of them is gifted over to the Imperial House... so, I'm not sure there would be any Western Knightly Orders...
Braden, GMPhD

Ironpig II
D-Bee

You guys rock. Thanks a lot.
Never heard of the cirga or rurga orders...which book are those in?
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Ironpig II wrote:You guys rock. Thanks a lot.
Never heard of the cirga or rurga orders...which book are those in?

eastern territories or dragons and gods
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

kiralon wrote:
gaby wrote:How about Knightly Orders in Timiro and Western Empire?

Can't Remember if they were a Knightly Order but Timiro had the sentinels, and they were definitely cavalry.

No Timiro orders with any specific name. Most of the knights are actually "a lord" in charge of a piece of land and is sworn to take up a sword
and fight for one of the Royal House Barons (if he pledged to him) or to the King if needs him.
Last edited by Reagren Wright on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I'm going to assume that by "knightly orders" you mean an organization that trains, equips, and supports knights and that spans across normal political boundaries in service to some other cause or priority. Real-life examples might include the Knights Templar, the Knights Hosplitar, and the Teutonic Knights, as well as fraternities.

In the Eastern Territories, a great deal of the land is unorganized, wild, under-developed, and/or under the rule of unorganized powers under the loose organization of the Dominion. Since there aren't a lot of powers who can sponsor knights' training, equipment, and support, it makes sense to have some knightly orders that span a wider domain and mission than that of a small town or city-state. Religions with broad support (like Rurga) make sense here. It also makes sense for more established powers (like Peningshir) to establish orders of knighthood as a way of extending influence and power beyond their borders. Since there's a lot of land, a lot of settling, not a lot of military power, and essentially no civil war, there's likely to be a lot more latitude and welcome from locals for knights of the ____ when they come to root out the local bandits.

In the highly developed and organized Western Empire, knights get trained, equipped, and supported by local nobles, provincial houses, regional houses, and the empire itself. There is no shortage of military power anywhere other than the frontier, and civil wars are more of a threat than some troll living under a bridge. Political powers are unlikely to tolerate any organization that might divide their elite warriors' loyalties from their lords and sponsoring noble house. Thus westerners are more likely to trust a mercenary than a knight of the ____ whose loyalties don't fall into the standard political paradigm.

All that said, There are likely many knightly orders within the Western Empire, Bizantium, and Timiro, but they are likely tied to political structures.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Ironpig II
D-Bee

so as a renewed gm,
ive gotten started, etc, and i forgot how fun this can be-but the semi-logical adult is having an issue...
any ideas for me to brainstorm?

1. how can i justify a "sponsored" Timiro knight/paladin traveling freely, especially to other countries? (Northern Wilderness...)
2. oh, and that said, im trying to skim efficiently...if it exists-where is the Timiro royalty info?

P.S. all the responses so far have been truly helpful.
Thank you!!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Ironpig II wrote:so as a renewed gm,
ive gotten started, etc, and i forgot how fun this can be-but the semi-logical adult is having an issue...
any ideas for me to brainstorm?

1. how can i justify a "sponsored" Timiro knight/paladin traveling freely, especially to other countries? (Northern Wilderness...)
2. oh, and that said, im trying to skim efficiently...if it exists-where is the Timiro royalty info?

P.S. all the responses so far have been truly helpful.
Thank you!!

1. That's easy; have the sponsoring organization send the knight/paladin on some sort of mission that requires free travel (hunt down the villain, search for the long-lost McGuffin, or do some more mundane business), have the knight/paladin achieve independence from the organization that equipped and trained him/her (is a reservist, kicked out, or on a sabbatical), or have the sponsoring order be declared illegal (like what happened with the Knights Templar) so they have to scatter and get banished.

2. Old Ones, and you'll have to dig. The king and key figures aren't statted out, and I don't know if he's even named. However, there are some royal family members mentioned in the Old Timiro description on p54 (a duke and a couple of earls). The king's nephew, Ancorat, gets mentioned on p61 and is kind of a jerk. Duke Matthew Jonquil gets mentioned on p65. There are probably others.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Braden Campbell

The official Timisoara royal family stuff ended up in one of the later Rifters...

Edit: I'm leaving that autocorrect for hilarity's sake
Braden, GMPhD

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Braden Campbell wrote:The official Timisoara royal family stuff ended up in one of the later Rifters...

Edit: I'm leaving that autocorrect for hilarity's sake

and there is important information regarding timiros royalty in the northern hinterlands or great northern wilderness books. (Where else :D ).

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”