Cloud Magic?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ironpig II
D-Bee

Cloud Magic?

Unread post by Ironpig II »

hi, just wondering if cloud magic was somewhere here in fantasy stuff. if no, can you help me out?

-Thanks.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Cloud Magic?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Cloud Magic tends to be specific to the Lyn-Syrial <sp>, who aren't present on the Palladium World. It's not impossible there's some of it around, but it would be extremely rare.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Interesting question. Would you mind seeing Cloud Magic in a Palladium Fantasy setting with a few alterations so its not so specific to the Lyn-Syrial but different enough and specific
enough that its not a version of an air warlock?
Ironpig II
D-Bee

Unread post by Ironpig II »

I liked what both of you said-cloud magic would def be cool in fantasy setting as any strange or unusual types from wherever/"Time of a Thousand Magicks".
but i'm sorry i wasn't more clear...i was just looking for which book it was in.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Megaversally I know Cloud Magic can be found in "Rifts World Book 14: New West" or "Rifts Book of Magic", but in either case you'd have to convert it form an MDC setting to an SDC setting ("Rifts Conversion Book 1r" and maybe "Dragons & Gods" could help with that). AFAIK it is not in any Palladium Fantasy or Heroes Unlimited book. New West does not make the magic exclusive to the Lyn-Srial race, as non Lyn-Srial are cited as a rarity, but they also incur penalties (higher PPE cost, XP cost).

If doing a conversion doesn't appeal to you, you could do what some other magic disciples essentially do: use existing spells for mechanics purposes, but re-themed for appearances. Ex. Rifter 9.5 introduces Ludicrous magic, "Scents Magic" or "Scents Evil" mechanically work as the regular spell "Sense Magic" or "Sense Evil" but themed to the new magic (both have the recipient grow a large nose to "smell", ie "sense", the goal). Then you have spells that already work with the theme.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

ShadowLogan wrote:Megaversally I know Cloud Magic can be found in "Rifts World Book 14: New West" or "Rifts Book of Magic", but in either case you'd have to convert it form an MDC setting to an SDC setting ("Rifts Conversion Book 1r" and maybe "Dragons & Gods" could help with that). AFAIK it is not in any Palladium Fantasy or Heroes Unlimited book. New West does not make the magic exclusive to the Lyn-Srial race, as non Lyn-Srial are cited as a rarity, but they also incur penalties (higher PPE cost, XP cost).

If doing a conversion doesn't appeal to you, you could do what some other magic disciples essentially do: use existing spells for mechanics purposes, but re-themed for appearances. Ex. Rifter 9.5 introduces Ludicrous magic, "Scents Magic" or "Scents Evil" mechanically work as the regular spell "Sense Magic" or "Sense Evil" but themed to the new magic (both have the recipient grow a large nose to "smell", ie "sense", the goal). Then you have spells that already work with the theme.

new west mentions the lyn-srial were tossed throughout the megaverse, so there's no reason to wedge a few dozen/hundred into the fantasy world as you need to justify their magic. i mean you still have to convert it accordingly since for some reason it's one of the MDC creatures that don't have conversion rules and the magic isn't either, but you totally have an excuse for a small band of them to be there as you need 'em.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Reagren Wright wrote:Interesting question. Would you mind seeing Cloud Magic in a Palladium Fantasy setting with a few alterations so its not so specific to the Lyn-Syrial but different enough and specific
enough that its not a version of an air warlock?

This would be awesome!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”