Are Library of Bletherad spells standard invocations?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Are Library of Bletherad spells standard invocations?

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

Are the spells presented in the Library of Bletherad (the Bulwarks/Magic Walls, Fulmination spells, Ice and Cold spells, Shadowcasting spells, & Spirit/Necromancy spells) considered to be "standard" invocations, making them available to any OCC that uses Invocations (like the Wizard), or are they part of other Lores/schools of magic? If so, which OCCs are allowes to take each type of spell? For example, I could buy the Necromancy spells being exclusive to the Necromancer O.C.C., but I can't see any language in the book that explicitly says this is the case - any restrictions seem very implicit and vague.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: Are Library of Bletherad spells standard invocations?

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

PalladiumBrony wrote:Are the spells presented in the Library of Bletherad (the Bulwarks/Magic Walls, Fulmination spells, Ice and Cold spells, Shadowcasting spells, & Spirit/Necromancy spells) considered to be "standard" invocations, making them available to any OCC that uses Invocations (like the Wizard), or are they part of other Lores/schools of magic? If so, which OCCs are allowes to take each type of spell? For example, I could buy the Necromancy spells being exclusive to the Necromancer O.C.C., but I can't see any language in the book that explicitly says this is the case - any restrictions seem very implicit and vague.

The paragraph at the start of the Books of Magic section says these spells are not known to the general public. Quote:
Whether this magic can be discovered by other means (i.e.
taught to a player character by a god or demon lord specializing
in magic, like Thoth or the Old Ones, as well as ancient creatures
of magic the likes of Lizard Mages, ancient dragons, and,
perhaps, certain sorcerers in the Land of the Damned who are
likely to know at least a few, if not many, of these arcane spells)
is left entirely to the Game Master. Occasionally, one or more of
these rare spells may be the taught to a character as a reward or
boon for courageous service by a grateful god, high priest, powerful
mage or elder dragon.

I personally use these spells as available only as mentioned above and to the Forsaken Mage O.C.C. - that is the benefit of this O.C.C.; to have access to spells unknown to ordinary spellcasters.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

Soldier of Od wrote:
PalladiumBrony wrote:Are the spells presented in the Library of Bletherad (the Bulwarks/Magic Walls, Fulmination spells, Ice and Cold spells, Shadowcasting spells, & Spirit/Necromancy spells) considered to be "standard" invocations, making them available to any OCC that uses Invocations (like the Wizard), or are they part of other Lores/schools of magic? If so, which OCCs are allowes to take each type of spell? For example, I could buy the Necromancy spells being exclusive to the Necromancer O.C.C., but I can't see any language in the book that explicitly says this is the case - any restrictions seem very implicit and vague.

The paragraph at the start of the Books of Magic section says these spells are not known to the general public. Quote:
Whether this magic can be discovered by other means (i.e.
taught to a player character by a god or demon lord specializing
in magic, like Thoth or the Old Ones, as well as ancient creatures
of magic the likes of Lizard Mages, ancient dragons, and,
perhaps, certain sorcerers in the Land of the Damned who are
likely to know at least a few, if not many, of these arcane spells)
is left entirely to the Game Master. Occasionally, one or more of
these rare spells may be the taught to a character as a reward or
boon for courageous service by a grateful god, high priest, powerful
mage or elder dragon.

I personally use these spells as available only as mentioned above and to the Forsaken Mage O.C.C. - that is the benefit of this O.C.C.; to have access to spells unknown to ordinary spellcasters.

Okay, those are all good points :) and I will definitely keep them in mind, but if for whatever reason we assume they can get their hands on the spell (which, per the passage you quoted, should be absurdly difficult) I reckon I could get away with any O.C.C. being capable of learning any of the spells in the book.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

The answer is "yes, they are invocations", but you can only learn them if you find them. They aren't readily available.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”