What is Barbarian.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

What is Barbarian.

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Maybe I'm wrong to assume this would be a class rather than a set of skills, but I wish to make a barbarian type of character and don't know where to start. Since there is no actual Barbarian.

Thinking of How Conan started out, I could try the Thief class or judging from the picture on the opposite page, Vagabond/Peasant/Farmer.

????
Last edited by SirSpamHammer on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prysus
Champion

Re: What is Barbarian.

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Maybe I'm wrong to assume this would be a class rather than a set of skills, but I wish to make a barbarian type of character and don't know where to start. Since there is no actual Barbarian.

Thinking of How Conan started out, I could try one of the Rogue class's or judging from the picture Vagabond/Peasant/Farmer.

????

Greetings and Salutations. There's a Barbarian O.C.C. in PF Book 13: Northern Hinterlands. Whether or not that will fit your image I'm not certain.

For a full list of O.C.C. and which book they can be found in: http://www.prysus.com/pf_occ.htm

Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Prysus wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:Maybe I'm wrong to assume this would be a class rather than a set of skills, but I wish to make a barbarian type of character and don't know where to start. Since there is no actual Barbarian.

Thinking of How Conan started out, I could try one of the Rogue class's or judging from the picture Vagabond/Peasant/Farmer.

????

Greetings and Salutations. There's a Barbarian O.C.C. in PF Book 13: Northern Hinterlands. Whether or not that will fit your image I'm not certain.

For a full list of O.C.C. and which book they can be found in: http://www.prysus.com/pf_occ.htm

Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

Well damn, I just have to get that book, otherwise, I was seriously thinking of the last option. Thanks again for your help.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The term Barbarian is properly applied, with it's root meaning, to an person who is not skilled at living in cities.
(inversly: civilized (in it's root meaning) means a person skilled at living in cities. )

So you can make a Barbarian with many classes with aproriate skill selection & roleplaying.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

So, is there anything stopping a Barbarian from having Psionics?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

SirSpamHammer wrote:So, is there anything stopping a Barbarian from having Psionics?

Unless an OCC specifically states that it doesn't allow for psionics in that class then the only things that could prevent a barb from having them would be a racial restriction, the player not making the random roll for psionics, or the player and/or GM simply not wanting them.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

I was thinking of Human Barbarian.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Thinking of How Conan started out, I could try the Thief class or judging from the picture on the opposite page, Vagabond/Peasant/Farmer.

????

If you wish to make an elite barbarian warrior a la Conan, the Barbarian O.C.C. in Northern Hinterlands is ok. You get a fighter that's a bit more optimized than I think is right, but it's serviceable, and if you think of it as an elite barbarian warrior class, it's fine. If you want to emulate Conan from the movie, Gladiator might also be a good choice.

If you want to make a less-skilled barbarian warrior, some of the optional O.C.C.'s are a good fit. Vagabond/Peasant/farmer from the main book and fletcher, blacksmith, trapper, and artisan from Northern Hinterlands are good choices. Thief also works pretty well.

If you want to get into religious barbarism, druids are a good choice, as are shamans and necromancers.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Mercenary Warrior also works as it has a broad skill base to pick from so you can tend to make most of what you want from it. They get 10 other skills and a lot of wp's and climb and athletics.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

As I was discussing the similarities between Rifts Earth and Fallout Four on another thread....

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=159122

I hit on the idea of making the character, Grognak the Barbarian. A well known Comic book character from the Fallout Four game. (I think he was mentioned in Fallout Three and Fallout Vegas as well.) There isn't much background information except what I could gather here....

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Grognak_the_Barbarian

Aside from that, I just made stuff up about him to fill in the gaps. I guess he's a lot like Conan, and yeah, I did take the Barbarian Fighter as his O.C.C.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”