Please [Sell/Unsell] me on which edition I should run

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tywyll
Wanderer

Please [Sell/Unsell] me on which edition I should run

Unread post by Tywyll »

So I've read the thread on the differences between editions. I'm toying with running a campaign in PF soon, but I can't decide which edition I should use.

Can people help me decide? I guess pitch why the changes in each are preferable?

The campaign may well be high-powered, using something like the setting in Rifter 36 or 37 where pcs might have superpowers if that matters (yes, if I went with PF1, those who gained a power that granted SDC would just get it, but otherwise it wouldn't exist). It would also be high-magic, though I think PF1 could be adapted (increasing spells per day by 50% or something). If I went that route.

This is all nebulous, nothing is particularly set in stone, just kind of spit balling as it were.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Please [Sell/Unsell] me on which edition I should run

Unread post by Kraynic »

For a higher power level, I would think you would want to go with 2E for the following reasons:

1: Casters are definitely more powerful, being able to cast significantly more spells per day of the low to mid level "bread and butter" spells. Depending on what spells they gain access to, that should significantly raise both the defensive and offensive capabilities of the group. Factoring in leylines increases the magical power another step.

2. Most classes that only (by default) have access to the basic hand to hand training can sacrifice a skill slot or 2 to gain a higher order of combat training to be more dangerous in melee.

3. 2E is going to be the easier option if you want to incorporate Rifts (or other Palladium systems) stuff.

This isn't to say that I don't like 1E. I own a copy of the 2E main book, but run my games in 1E because I prefer that system. If you do decide to run this in 1E, you might want to look into the classes that came out later like the Witch Hunter and Undead Hunter that came out in the Yin-Sloth Jungles book. They are certainly powerful classes that may fit well into the sort of high power setting you are going for. Allowing your players that want to be more melee focused to play classes like those instead of a straight mercenary, soldier or whatever, might be good since they will have some spell ability to keep from being totally overshadowed by whatever you end up needing to do when you buff the spellcasters.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

If you're wanting to do high powered, I think 2e is better than 1e. While 1e allows for some things to be more high-powered (you can cast more really high level spells in 1e, because a spell is a spell, and your slots will cover that), it also is more limited in other things (every time you cast Fireball, you can't cast Wall of Lictalon, because a spell is a spell).

But 2e also tends to favor Men at Arms, as multiple attacks per melee are more common, and spellcasters have more limited actions-per-round. Attribute increases from physical skills, and, IME, generally higher attributes, keeps bonuses high.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

1E Mind mages are the most brokenly high powered thing Palladium made sinse the Mechanoids.

They're so powerful over half their Psionics were cut from all future Palladium editions and games.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

1st Edition has different hth styles, but the magic system is a bit simple, psionics is a bit better because the more powerful abilities are level limited and mind mages aren't as overpowered.

2nd Ed has a slightly better magic system, but at higher level the casters of the party will have more wait time to be bored as the fighters will have more attacks, and the wizard spells that do anything are usually 2 action spells.
Players tend to have higher physical stats because of skills that give physical bonuses.
Palladins and knights are martial artists, there is a code they are supposed to follow but don't have to as they aren't religiously affiliated and the only thing holding them to the code is their conscience (if they have one). The support books are more for 2nd ed so require less conversion.
You can have level 1 characters with effectively 90hp, and the fighters will likely have 30-50, so encounter balance is harder because of the massive difference in combat capability that starts at level 1.
Because of the bonuses the men at arms have armour tends to be a lot less effective in second ed as well. No such things as +5 plate so by the time you are level 7 full plate might as well not even be there. If you do roll high enough that the enemy doesn't parry its a very good chance you have penetrated armour.

I prefer V1.75 mk2 beta.
Based on first ed, borrows a bit from second ed, and bits from pretty much every other rpg I have played.
(DnD 2nd ed magic for example, with a bit of modification, plays very well in palladium)

but speaking as a dm 2nd ed was more frustrating due to the number of attacks that some characters would have and others wouldn't, so keeping a chunk of the party entertained while one or two characters were having their 8 attacks per round was painful and annoying, and as there is even less balance amongst the classes in second ed, designing encounters that weren't dead easy for some characters and too deadly for others was harder as the differences at level 1 are far greater.

@ nekira - Im curious as to what they are, because they are mostly available in 2nd ed from level 1 whereas in 1st ed they were at least behind a level wall. (edit, don't worry, continues this in high ppe casting post)
Tywyll
Wanderer

Unread post by Tywyll »

kiralon wrote:1st Edition has different hth styles, but the magic system is a bit simple, psionics is a bit better because the more powerful abilities are level limited and mind mages aren't as overpowered.

2nd Ed has a slightly better magic system, but at higher level the casters of the party will have more wait time to be bored as the fighters will have more attacks, and the wizard spells that do anything are usually 2 action spells.
Players tend to have higher physical stats because of skills that give physical bonuses.
Palladins and knights are martial artists, there is a code they are supposed to follow but don't have to as they aren't religiously affiliated and the only thing holding them to the code is their conscience (if they have one). The support books are more for 2nd ed so require less conversion.
You can have level 1 characters with effectively 90hp, and the fighters will likely have 30-50, so encounter balance is harder because of the massive difference in combat capability that starts at level 1.
Because of the bonuses the men at arms have armour tends to be a lot less effective in second ed as well. No such things as +5 plate so by the time you are level 7 full plate might as well not even be there. If you do roll high enough that the enemy doesn't parry its a very good chance you have penetrated armour.

I prefer V1.75 mk2 beta.
Based on first ed, borrows a bit from second ed, and bits from pretty much every other rpg I have played.
(DnD 2nd ed magic for example, with a bit of modification, plays very well in palladium)

but speaking as a dm 2nd ed was more frustrating due to the number of attacks that some characters would have and others wouldn't, so keeping a chunk of the party entertained while one or two characters were having their 8 attacks per round was painful and annoying, and as there is even less balance amongst the classes in second ed, designing encounters that weren't dead easy for some characters and too deadly for others was harder as the differences at level 1 are far greater.

@ nekira - Im curious as to what they are, because they are mostly available in 2nd ed from level 1 whereas in 1st ed they were at least behind a level wall. (edit, don't worry, continues this in high ppe casting post)

Do you have your house rules written up anywhere or shareable?
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

A lot of them yes, I have pm'd you.
Library Ogre

kiralon wrote:@ nekira - Im curious as to what they are, because they are mostly available in 2nd ed from level 1 whereas in 1st ed they were at least behind a level wall. (edit, don't worry, continues this in high ppe casting post)

This might be better as a separate topic... but Evil Eye: Death and Psychic Surgery with no save and no prep time both come to mind.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I played both first and second edition. In general, I prefer 2nd Edition.

Combat is quicker and more brutal in 1st Edition. Combat generally takes longer in 2nd Edition due to the inclusion of S.D.C. I have two ways to counter that. The first is to use S.D.C. only for less-lethal weapons like fists, feet, small claws, whips, et cetera, and have deadly weapons go straight to hit points. The second is a more in-depth rules revision where two-handed weapons always do double damage, weapon choices are more interesting, and armor plays a much more important role.

Mounted combat provides more of an edge in 2nd Edition than in 1st. This is a good thing.

Magic in 1st Edition was limited by # of spells per day. 2nd Edition's P.P.E. is more intuitive and makes the game more interesting.

Skills are somewhat better-organized, and their availability for each OCC is generally more sensible.

Physical skills can now improve your physical stats in 2nd Edition, which I like.

The elimination of OCC-based hand-to-hand is a mixed bag. It eliminated some class-specific bonuses (though several of those classes gained other distinctive abilities), but it also streamlined things a bit so there were fewer space-hogging tables for every man-at-arms out there.

Psionics in 1st Edition were overpowered (and almost anyone could be a master psionic and have another O.C.C., you just only got 60% of your powers per level).

Some OCCs were radically changed from 1st to 2nd Edition:
The pseudo-mind-mage got axed. It was lame anyway.
Druids went from being weird animal-friend-magic people to being crappy priests of Palladium's most widespread wilderness religion.
The Healer went from being kind of cool to being pathetic, neutered, and outclassed in its own specialty by other classes. Healers in 2nd Edition suck and have no reason to exist. Literally any character with major psionics can do what they do, other classes have comparable or superior bonuses to their medical skills, and many other classes are orders of magnitude better at healing via magic.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Hotrod wrote:Psionics in 1st Edition were overpowered (and almost anyone could be a master psionic and have another O.C.C., you just only got 60% of your powers per level).

well %10 of the people
(I actually play if you roll %100 for psionics you don't have to roll for the abilities and just get them).
I still don't get the over powered bit. Much more chaos was caused by the second ed mind mages in my games due to their extremely high isp, their regeneration rate and how easy it was for them to get away with things and all the powers they could pick at level 1. The first ed ones tended to be a lot quieter because other than handy powers they really couldn't hurt much with their mind powers until they get to level 3, and even then it tended to be limited by the isp they had. A dm somewhere must have played 1st ed psionicists in an interesting way that made them everyone think of them that way. Nowhere does it say psionics penetrate armour automatically which greatly limits the damage they do (and evil eye death even says it does damage, not damage straight to hp).
My first ed supermunchkins preferred fire/air warlocks crossed with soldier. (Mini fireball was a great spell in first ed)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Ah, mini-fireball. As I recall, levelling up got you more fireballs to throw and also made each fireball do more damage, and you could distribute the mini-fireballs among targets as you saw fit.

As for psionics in 1st Edition, it's admittedly something of a mixed bag. Rather than having to pick and choose powers, the Mind Mage simply got the full selection of each level, and while the 2nd Edition Mind Mage can take some potent powers at level 1, the 1st Edition Mind Mage wound up getting far more powers. Additionally, and I could be mistaken about this, I believe there were more psionic powers in 1st Edition than in 2nd.

The fact that anyone in first edition could have major or master psionics without any kind of compensating penalty (as 2nd Edition appropriately applies in the case of major psionics) was a strange design choice. Any player basically got most of the class-defining abilities of the Mind Mage without giving up anything.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I recommend 2nd edition with a few tweaks. Keep the 1st Ed Hand to Hand tables, and the rule that only Non-Men-At-Arms could take Paired weapons. Also, keep the 1st Edition rules on HP and SDC. HP is for living creatures SDC is for inanimate objects (or animated ones). Go with 2nd Edition for everything else. It's mostly better in every other aspect and there are more books for it so that requires less conversion. I'd also recommend removing boxing, as I can't see why boxing would give you an extra spell attack per round.

As for psionics, I think the 2nd Edition is better. It makes the Mind Mage much better than someone with major psionics. With lucky dice rolls, a 1st Ed paladin could have as many powers as a 1st Ed mind mage. Of course, it swung too far in the opposite direction. The main problem with the mind mage is how its attacks only take one action. They can be devastating in combat, although they burn through ISP quickly.

-Vek
"Never trust a mind mage."
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

@Hotrod
1st ed is 70 powers
2nd ed is 80 powers

I'm guessing nobody had 2nd ed mind mages catatonic striking things left right and centre. If you save you lose half your attacks, if you fail you unconscious and don't wake up until you roll under %15 cumulative and 1 roll per day. This power kills things easily and makes them much weaker even if they save and with rest a mind mage can do it every 4 hrs or once every 20 hours that he is being waterboarded
and its a level 1 power.

@vek 2nd ed MM burn through isp at hi speed and get it back at high speed, and as second ed has a lot more attacks at level 1 so the mind mages are much more deadly. Also you could get extra powers as a character but you got 1d8 isp per level (1st ed MM got 10 per level) +ME as a Base and often couldn't afford the tougher powers even at higher levels, as ME tends to be a dump stat. So all the quirky little helpful powers were used a lo but the big boomers not so much, and if you did burn through it all it could take days to get it all back, rather than around half a day for a second ed Mind mage.
2nd d mind mages can have hth martial arts, first ed mind mages only got hth non men at arms.
Explorer
Comment: Eternally Sleepy

Unread post by 1970 »

First Edition is a game unto itself, with a world, monsters, dragons, gods, et cetera. Second Edition, to get the same sort of spread, you need the Core Rules, Animals & Monsters, and Dragons & Gods to get the same effect. I like Second Edition's magic and psionics better, but the Kung Fu Palladins kill me. I'm semi-working on a Dwarf Campaign right now, and I'm probably using First Edition.

OTOH, Second Edition has the sourcebooks going for it. Plus if you're dipping your campaign in Heroes Unlimited there isn't much conversion to do for it. I think I prefer First, but in your case I think Second would be a better fit.
Formless Faceless and Free
Tywyll
Wanderer

Unread post by Tywyll »

Yeah, I'll admit, I'm not a fan of MA=Palladin MA.

Has anyone updated the old HtH to 2nd edition/Rifts mechanics?
Tywyll
Wanderer

Unread post by Tywyll »

kiralon wrote:@Hotrod
1st ed is 70 powers
2nd ed is 80 powers

I'm guessing nobody had 2nd ed mind mages catatonic striking things left right and centre. If you save you lose half your attacks, if you fail you unconscious and don't wake up until you roll under %15 cumulative and 1 roll per day. This power kills things easily and makes them much weaker even if they save and with rest a mind mage can do it every 4 hrs or once every 20 hours that he is being waterboarded
and its a level 1 power.

@vek 2nd ed MM burn through isp at hi speed and get it back at high speed, and as second ed has a lot more attacks at level 1 so the mind mages are much more deadly. Also you could get extra powers as a character but you got 1d8 isp per level (1st ed MM got 10 per level) +ME as a Base and often couldn't afford the tougher powers even at higher levels, as ME tends to be a dump stat. So all the quirky little helpful powers were used a lo but the big boomers not so much, and if you did burn through it all it could take days to get it all back, rather than around half a day for a second ed Mind mage.
2nd d mind mages can have hth martial arts, first ed mind mages only got hth non men at arms.

Okay, other than an in-game pogram against psionics, how do you temper the 2nd edition psionic? That sounds super abusive.
Library Ogre

Tywyll wrote:Yeah, I'll admit, I'm not a fan of MA=Palladin MA.

My problem with it stems from their very narrow definition of "Martial Arts"... like, it seems to come down to "A system of fighting where you kick a lot". I did a rework of Palladium Combat styles a while back, though it's got a few difficulties of its own.

All Palladium Articles
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the Palladin, period. Not from a game design standpoint, anyway. I get that the class is sort of named after the company (spelled after it, anyway, with the two "L's"), but I never liked the concept of a class designed to eclipse a similar class in every dimension. If I were writing up a 3rd Edition, I'd play up the Palladin as more of a hybrid holy warrior/man-at-arms with some nice anti-supernatural/quasi-clerical perks while giving the Knight an edge in mounted combat and one or two other skill categories.

Anyway, I don't think there should be any issue straight-up importing some class-specific O.C.C.'s. Just adjust their starting attacks per melee to be consistent with the normal options, and you should be fine. To be honest, though, most of those hand-to-hand skills aren't very different from each other. The only ones that lost some real distinctiveness were knight, palladin, and long bowman, which featured critical strikes in their specialty weapons.

If you want a more specialized canon option in 2nd Edition, there's always Hand-to-Hand: Gladiator in 2nd Edition High Seas.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I did a Hand to Hand especially for Knights before:

http://www.prysus.com/hth_chevalier.htm

That isn't an update though, and just a new HtH with Knights in mind. I had intended to do this for a lot of the classes, to allow Men at Arms to stand apart from Psychics and Practitioners of Magic. However, I ended feeling like my ideas diverged from what other fans felt was a good solution. I don't play much myself these days, so I just do projects for others amd if a project doesn't seem of interest to others, I usually just drop them.

Side note: Another reason I don't create as much anymore is that my local group (and I'm a player instead of G.M. in this group) are big D&D 3.5 people. While Palladium remains my true love, when I do create new material I tend to create it for the group (right now a new campaign is about to start and I've been helping the D.M. flesh out his homebrew setting such as a unique calendar, new holidays, zodiac system, etc.). I also made an Excel Characater Sheet for interested players and an Excel Monster Sheet (with hundreds of monsters ready to pull up) for the group. Having made these for Palladium and D&D, I must say the D&D ones were much, much, MUCH easier to program.

Anyways, that's all for now. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Library Ogre

Prysus wrote:Side note: Another reason I don't create as much anymore is that my local group (and I'm a player instead of G.M. in this group) are big D&D 3.5 people. While Palladium remains my true love, when I do create new material I tend to create it for the group (right now a new campaign is about to start and I've been helping the D.M. flesh out his homebrew setting such as a unique calendar, new holidays, zodiac system, etc.). I also made an Excel Characater Sheet for interested players and an Excel Monster Sheet (with hundreds of monsters ready to pull up) for the group. Having made these for Palladium and D&D, I must say the D&D ones were much, much, MUCH easier to program.

For me, Palladium is more of ex who I left because they kept promising things and never delivered and, once I looked back on it, I realized they hadn't changed significantly in 20+ years and had no intention of doing so. They went through some bad times so there was a resurgence of sympathy, and some things have reminded me of the good times, but, well, I've moved on.

All Palladium Articles
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Hi Twywyll,
I did something a while back that might be interesting to you - I updated the old forms from the Yin-sloth jungle book, and created a new hand to hand non-men-at-arms, and a specific hand to hand aimed at palladins and similar classes. I also made a list revising what each O.C.C. could take to include on these new options. See the link below (and the link in the link!).
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152963&p=2955711#p2955711
Hope it is useful to you!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Mark Hall wrote:For me, Palladium is more of ex who I left because they kept promising things and never delivered and, once I looked back on it, I realized they hadn't changed significantly in 20+ years and had no intention of doing so. They went through some bad times so there was a resurgence of sympathy, and some things have reminded me of the good times, but, well, I've moved on.

Greetings and Salutations. I definitely understand that sentiment. I've never blamed anyone for walking away. For me, Palladium introduced me to Role-Playing Games as whole, as well as introduced me to my wife. These are two things I love very much, and are a big part of my life. For that reason, my life and Palladium will remain intertwined. Even if Palladium as a company did make me want to walk away, I'd remain here for the fans. Palladium Fantasy is often left by the wayside. So I just try to do my part to support it and (occasionally) give them new content.

Now, a lot's changed for me over the last few years. I've moved, gotten married, started playing D&D (had never played the system before), gone through depression (again, but this one lasted for a couple years), had mono (and my energy levels have never felt the same since), been there for a good friend's baby's birth. I finished a PF manuscript and it took a lot (and I mean, A LOT) out of me. Not because of Palladium, just the focus and dedication and struggle required (reading and writing are often a struggle for me). I mean, writing this response has probably taken a good hour or more (just trying to figure out how to make it coherent and not ramble too much, so imagine 100+ pages). I'm not sure how much drive I have left to write and my priorities have shifted, but I still have my heart here.

Okay, that was as much for me as anyone else. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:1E Mind mages are the most brokenly high powered thing Palladium made sinse the Mechanoids.

They're so powerful over half their Psionics were cut from all future Palladium editions and games.

That along with old editionn info on demons, devils & djjins almost makes want to purchase a copy on ebay. Almost.

As an aside, i have never really given Mind Mages a real look on.
How similar or different are the 2E version from Rifts' Mind Melters?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Palladium Fantasy 2e Mind Mages get 3 super psionics and 2 regular psionics every level.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Palladium Fantasy 2e Mind Mages get 3 super psionics and 2 regular psionics every level.

That's quite something. Definitely retconning the "Mind Melter OCC" for True Atlanteans in WB2 as Mind Mages.
(now i only need something for the Mind Bleeder.....)

And you say the 1e ones were broken. :eek:
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

SolCannibal wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Palladium Fantasy 2e Mind Mages get 3 super psionics and 2 regular psionics every level.

That's quite something. Definitely retconning the "Mind Melter OCC" for True Atlanteans in WB2 as Mind Mages.
(now i only need something for the Mind Bleeder.....)

And you say the 1e ones were broken. :eek:

Yeah, i'm pretty sure Nekira doesn't remember 1st ed real well either, or used house rules. Even when all the players had psionics from the chance of getting it, psionics were less of a problem in 1st ed than in 2nd ed. Also its only a couple of powers that didn't make it from first to second, and then second got a few more (70 vs 80).

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”