Invisible haze

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Invisible haze

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, here I go again trying to nail down the specifics of a particular power. This time it's a psionic ability.

1. Does Invisible Haze work on everyone whether the mind mage is aware of the person, or does the mind mage have to know there is an observer? I would think it would work whether the observer is known or not.

2. Does it work on animals?

3. How far away does this work? The range is listed as self, for obvious reasons. But if someone is 100 yards away, is that person also affected?

4. Does it work against scrying?

5. Does it work on the undead?

6.Would it fool a Gem of Reality? I think yes, but I'd like to hear opinions.

-Vek
"Never trust a mind mage."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Invisible haze

Unread post by kiralon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, here I go again trying to nail down the specifics of a particular power. This time it's a psionic ability.
1. Does Invisible Haze work on everyone whether the mind mage is aware of the person, or does the mind mage have to know there is an observer? I would think it would work whether the observer is known or not.
2. Does it work on animals?
3. How far away does this work? The range is listed as self, for obvious reasons. But if someone is 100 yards away, is that person also affected?
4. Does it work against scrying?
5. Does it work on the undead?
6.Would it fool a Gem of Reality? I think yes, but I'd like to hear opinions.
-Vek

The way I play it.
1. Yes, or it wouldn't work on people behind you.
2. Yes, they are intelligent. I don't think it works on unintelligent beings.
3. I play both sides have to be able to see each other. Doesn't work on blind people for example.
4. Nope, doesn't work through any type of remote viewing that doesn't allow a view back. So would work through a two way portal, but not a crystal ball or security cameras (or night vision goggles).
5. Nope, my undead are very psionic resistant (and reflect a lot of attacks).
6. Yes, both sides can see each other. It doesn't mean they have seen each other, but that both sides could if they looked, so it would work looking through a keyhole, but not through a door.

But I am also very biased against mind mages. Other than party cohesion, I wouldn't play in a group with a Mind Mage, you never know when he is going to reprogram you just for sh*ts and giggles, and in my experience, the type of people who like to play minds mages play them because they like reprogramming people for sh*ts and giggles, oh and also because it's next to impossible to stop by canon rulings unless you are well endowed with ME and are psionic.

"Never trust let a mind mage breathe."
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I agree with most of that. But number three is interesting. Would a two way mirror be affected by Invisible Haze? Technically, the two or more people couldn't see each other, but if the power radiates and affects other brains, I think the people on the other side of the mirror should be affected.

-Vek

"Never trust a breathing mind mage."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, here I go again trying to nail down the specifics of a particular power. This time it's a psionic ability.

Okay, here is my two silvers.

Veknironth wrote:1. Does Invisible Haze work on everyone whether the mind mage is aware of the person, or does the mind mage have to know there is an observer? I would think it would work whether the observer is known or not.

Yes, it works on everyone.

Veknironth wrote:2. Does it work on animals?

yes.

Veknironth wrote:3. How far away does this work? The range is listed as self, for obvious reasons. But if someone is 100 yards away, is that person also affected?

I play this one by ear. but generally I figure that a few hundred feet is plenty. I started with "line of sight" and then realized that could be miles in some cases... I felt that anything that works for miles should be 1) more expensive and 2) was going to get the mind mage in more trouble than it helps (detect psionics pinging on every invisible haze with in the tristate area is going to get annoying fast)

Veknironth wrote:4. Does it work against scrying?

My stance is "no"
I do not think it works against scrying, cameras, pressure plates or anything other than actual minds.

Veknironth wrote:5. Does it work on the undead?

Undead yes, animated dead no.
There is a mind in the undead and they are affected by psionics just like everything else (unless their not. some get special defenses and stuff)

Veknironth wrote:6.Would it fool a Gem of Reality? I think yes, but I'd like to hear opinions.

yes and no.
Or more of it wouldn't fool the gem... because it isn't actually making the person invisible, so as far as the gem is concerned there isn't anything to dispell.
The invisibility is all in the person's mind after all.

Veknironth wrote:-Vek
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I agree with most of that. But number three is interesting. Would a two way mirror be affected by Invisible Haze? Technically, the two or more people couldn't see each other, but if the power radiates and affects other brains, I think the people on the other side of the mirror should be affected.

-Vek

"Never trust a breathing mind mage."

I would say yes, However if it was fully 1 way no. I don't think one way mirrors block all the light. I agree on the brain to brain thing but I also think it needs a transmit and respond, and as its sight based its like an visual handshake. Not really sure why, just turned out like that over multiple games.

but I could be convinced otherwise, especially with a good story behind it why.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

#1, #2, #5. It will work on anyone that is vulnerable to hypnotic suggestion and telepathy. This is how the power works per text in PF2E.

#3. As it is a form of telepathy I would use this power to set the range.

#4. Don't Know.

$6. If you consider the hypnotic effect to qualify as an illusion? Yes it should reveal, if it isn't an illusion then no.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I forgot one question. The duration on the power is 6 minutes. Does that mean the mind mage flips a switch and the signal is sent out automatically, or subconsciously? Or is there some level of focus required? If focus is required, what activities might the mage do without breaking the effect, and what might distract the mind mage enough to reveal it?

-Vek
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I think he charges a bit of his brain that sends the jamming signal, that eventually runs out of power until charged again. In the book it only says wizards and priests can't cast magic while actively engaged in hth combat as they can't focus enough and that a painful blow interrupts their spell casting 1-90% chance

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”