Ambidexterity/Using the Wrong Hand?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Ambidexterity/Using the Wrong Hand?

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

Posting this in here since I mostly use PF rules, rarely anything from other Rifts sourceworlds, though this question could apply to literally any game setting in Palladium's library. I've been looking through my various books, and I've noticed something... Various source material makes references to ambidexterity and eliminating penalties for using one's "off-hand" to do stuff (example; a right-handed person using their left hand to fight or perform a skill). Rifter 19 has the skill Ambidexterity, which reduces - or, if taken twice, eliminates - the penalties for performing skills or fighting with the off-hand, and Rifter 30's rules on Weapon Specialization/Mastery provide options for eliminating problems fighting off-handed with one specific melee weapon (though not any weapon in which one does not at least have Specialization, and not in skills).

... the problem is, NOWHERE, in any material I've seen, does there appear to be any list of penalties for being off-handed in the first place! This may be an oversight by Palladium, or something we GM's are just supposed to "eyeball", but what does everyone think would be a reasonable set of penalties to impose on a character who's primarily or exclusively using their off-hand? In combat I'm thinking they'd get a penalty to strike and parry (with weapons only; shields not affected as they're usually used in the left hand anyway, which is the off-hand for the vast majority of folks), and skills should take some percent penalty but I've frankly no idea how much would be reasonable.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Ambidexterity/Using the Wrong Hand?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Yeah, I don't think Palladium has ever worked those out.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

It is -2 main hand, -6 off hand for shooting two modern weapons at once. I think that we often house-ruled that to also apply to trying to use melee weapons without WP Paired, and then made it -0, -4 with WP paired weapons. Ambidexterity made it -0, -0.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

WP Shield gives you the skill to use the shield in the opposite hand (pretty sure it is mentioned in the description)
But Ambidexterity and using 2 weapons is a bit funky in palladium.

Our House ruling is
Using a weapon in your off hand isn't easy, go and swing an axe around a bit.
-4 to strike and damage, -8 to parry.
-30% to skills (pick locks and the like) when using offhand.
Ambidexterity (which you roll for at character creation) means you can use either hand with equal skill, it doesn't mean you can use paired weapons.
and on a side note I nerfed paired weapons as well, as most rpg's tend to misrepresent it. If it was an effective fighting method lots of people would have done it, so its like the shotgun blast from an action flick blowing someone back twenty feet through a wall. Hitting someone with 2 weapons at the same time would have been weaker hits as you don't get the full swing like you do when you hit with one weapon. Stabbing is slightly different so I allow stabbing weapons to hit at full strength (daggers and the like), and ended up with this

The off hand negative is as above, but if using 2 weapons without either ambidexterity or the skill
Bonus 2 attacks from 1 roll.
Negatives
-8 strike, -8 parry -4 damage off hand
-4 strike -4 parry main hand
with Ambidexterity
-6 strike, -6 parry off hand
-4 strike, -4 parry main hand
Paired weapons
-4 strike, -4 parry off hand, -2 damage off hand
-4 strike, -4 parry main hand
Both
-2 strike -2 parry in both hands

Those with a large shield can parry a double strike with just the shield and simultaneous strike back and the two weapon user can't autoparry (can dodge however)

However, I mostly discourage the use of two weapons unless they are small.
Sword and Board FTW.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

The only place I've seen anything official on ambidexterity was in HU. However it was a side-effect of mutation and it gave the character bonuses to strike/parry. I haven't seen any ruling on what it would be with just using your off-hand.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”