Magic weapon/items effects

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hell knight
Explorer

Magic weapon/items effects

Unread post by Hell knight »

Was curious if any one come up with there own enchantments for magic weapons or items , i have made a staff for a warrior monk that has the save affect as electrified armor as in western empire book . And one i called foe endear were the user can chose a race or creature type for the weapon to do double damage , last an hour and unsaleable 3 times a day.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Magic weapon/items effects

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes.
It won't be canon.
You still have to get it past your GM.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

You can send in ther ideas for Magic weapons/items to Rifter.
I love to see More ideas for Magic Weapons/Items.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

There are a great many homebrew magic items out there, and you're certainly welcome to share yours. Are you looking for some type of effect in particular?

Specific effects to me are somewhat less interesting to me than the effect that a given item has on storytelling and gameplay. Take, for instance, rune weapons.

The fact that these sentient weapons get handed down through the hands of exceptional people for thousands of years is, to me, their most incredible feature, and it's a basic feature that all of them share! A lesser rune weapon that's been in active use since before the elf/dwarf wars would be a treasure trove of information and wisdom (imagine such an item passing through the hands of exceptional people since the Pyramids were built, or since the earliest ancient Chinese dynasties). Drinking souls and spitting fireballs is an afterthought by comparison.

Then there's the aspect of a rune weapon being sentient and communicating with the character and how that gets played out by the player and GM. Does the player play his own weapon, or is it an NPC controlled by the GM? How does a private conversation between weapon and player character play out in a gaming session? Does it enhance gameplay, or is it a distraction? Such considerations are fascinating to me.

In that light, my favorite homebrew magic weapon/item effects are less interesting than the story behind them and how they affect the tactics, story decision points, and characters who interact with them. From that paradigm:

Effects that tend to either instigate or forestall conflict tend to be more interesting to me than straight-up fighting effects.
Effects that nullify the player characters' preferred tactics can be great ways to force players to improvise.
Effects that introduce new types of tactics tend to be far more interesting than effects that make a standard tactic more effective.
Versatile effects tend to be more interesting than single-use effects.
The simpler the effect, the better. I'd rather have +2 to parry than +5 to parry against arrows, +3 to parry against daggers, +4 to parry against morning stars, or +10 to parry when the full moon is out. Keeping track of lots of "If (condition), then (small bonus/penalty)" effects tend to suck for everyone involved.
Players tend to get more invested in items that grow with them than items that don't change. This is why Crystal swords > magic swords, at least in general.
Players tend to get even more invested in their items if they have a hand in creating or enhancing them, especially if that enhancement or creation is an important part of the plot.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

There's a couple items in the Northern Hinterlands and Eastern Territories which had some unique properties that could be technically available on other weapons, if the right Alchemist could be found.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”