Living the Fantasy (fan site)

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Peacebringer
Adventurer

Re: Living the Fantasy (fan site)

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Great fan site!

Needs more artwork though.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Peacebringer wrote:Great fan site!

Needs more artwork though.

Greetings and Salutations. Glad you like the site. More artwork would be nice, but I'm not much of an artist myself and my brother who did some of the art on the site now lives over 2000 miles away. I considered having some commissions done, but that can get pricey, especially for something I make no money on. If someone has suggestions though, I'm open to hearing them. Thank you for your time and interest, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Included in this week's update:

http://palladium-store.com/1001/product ... sheet.html

That's all for now. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Well done sir, it's about time they put one of these up.
and bought too.

Keep up the good work !!!
It's not necessary but see if you could put the black and red palladium dragon pic on the front page (or something you like, just to fancy it up)
and maybe add an ability to make it printer friendly. (The colours work well when working off a pc, but not having the colours in boxes you have information in when printing out would be good too).
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Looks like you made quite a few changes since the last test one I've been using. I'll have to get the new one downloaded and try it out. Congrats on getting it officially released!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Whiskeyjack wrote:Looks like you made quite a few changes since the last test one I've been using. I'll have to get the new one downloaded and try it out. Congrats on getting it officially released!

Greetings and Salutations. There's a tutorial video on the site (link to the video can be found on the Palladium store page). The video can also be useful to see the new features and determining how useful it might be to you. Farewell and safe journeys.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kiralon wrote:Well done sir, it's about time they put one of these up.
and bought too.

Greetings and Salutations. Thank you and thank you.

kiralon wrote:Keep up the good work !!!
It's not necessary but see if you could put the black and red palladium dragon pic on the front page (or something you like, just to fancy it up)

I'm not opposed to this concept, but what exactly do you mean by "front page"?

1: Do you mean adding effectively a Cover Page (new tab/worksheet) with just the image (and/or title)?
2: Or did you mean trying to add it to one of the other pages? If so, which one?
3: Other?

If 1, this might work. It's currently designed to open up to the Instructions page so you don't miss it. However, I can run the idea by Palladium and see what they think. Overall, I don't think it should be a problem (though I also don't think it'll be a priority, so I'm not sure if they'll rush to update the file).

If 2, that'll depend on which page. I'd almost think the main character sheet page would be the suggestion, which might look a little nicer but will probably either take up too much room, or be too small (such as putting it in the title section) and end up just a blob. I'm not opposed, but wouldn't mind hearing more what your thinking before making further comment.

If 3, please explain so I can consider the request accordingly. Thank you.

kiralon wrote:and maybe add an ability to make it printer friendly. (The colours work well when working off a pc, but not having the colours in boxes you have information in when printing out would be good too).

Interesting. I hadn't considered the printing aspect, and a little funny. I added more color to better distinguish boxes where you enter information from boxes which has information pulled in for you. However, a more printer friendly version shouldn't be too hard (basically a copy of the main character sheet, but with some of the colors stripped out).

Before I work on that though, let me ask: Have you tried printing it out? If so, color or black & white? I believe (but I could be mistaken) that I printed out a black & white copy once and don't recall it being too bad, but I might've made changes to the sheet since then (or remembering incorrectly). I had tested out the Black and White because there had been discussion about trying to make it user friendly for someone who is also color blind. The only part I recall being difficult to read at all was the title bar.

I hope you don't think any of this is defensive. I'm just trying to make sure we have a common ground so that if changes are needed, they can be done correctly. Otherwise, I might end up putting a lot of time into making a printer friendly version and found out I did it wrong. Thank you for your time and input. Farewell and safe journeys.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Yes, mostly just a cover page that shows some of palladiums known art, as the art has been pretty good, and I think it would show a better link to palladium rather than just an instruction page. When I shows friends I want them to be able to readily id it as Palladium. And then a tiny version in the top right hand corner of each page so it prints out like a booklet.

And with printing, with my printer and printing black and white the dark green is almost too dark, and the light green still comes out as grey, and as I will be writing on it with pencil I find it easier to see if the box isn't coloured, but the biggest reason is I print out good character sheets for people with designer cardstock like this https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1750/ ... 1490205197 and having the grey or coloured boxes doesn't look as good.

These are just minor things mind you. Just something i'd put in the suggestions box.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

I will second the request for a clearer print-friendly version!
Congrats on getting this out there- long overdue!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kiralon wrote:And with printing, with my printer and printing black and white the dark green is almost too dark, and the light green still comes out as grey, and as I will be writing on it with pencil I find it easier to see if the box isn't coloured, but the biggest reason is I print out good character sheets for people with designer cardstock like this https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1750/ ... 1490205197 and having the grey or coloured boxes doesn't look as good.
zyanitevp wrote:I will second the request for a clearer print-friendly version!
Congrats on getting this out there- long overdue!

Greetings and Salutations. So I think I can create a Print-Friendly page without too much extra work. However, I'd like to know more about what people consider "Print-Friendly"?

For starters, I've basically re-made the main Character Sheet in grey scale (black, white, and gray only). Headings are dark with white font, and categories such as "I.Q." or "Strike" (further down) are a much lighter grey. The boxes with the information are left blank (unfilled), so the shading to indicate no editing is removed (e.g. the actual I.Q. attribute will or the actual Strike bonus). Note: This would be a separate sheet, and will not affect the colors of the main sheet as you know it now. I have an idea of how to handle this and make it rather manageable.

The grey does look kind of bland and drab, but that won't affect printing. Is this all that would be needed? Would something else help? Did I go too far? I'd just like to do this right. Thank you for any feedback. Farewell and safe journeys.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

For me it's just the colouring in the cells, with the cells just white it will be better for printing (uses less toner as well), so removing the cell colouring would fix my suggestion.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I've definitely burned through a lot of ink cartridges printing characters for 5 players going up three levels.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Whiskeyjack wrote:I've definitely burned through a lot of ink cartridges printing characters for 5 players going up three levels.

Greetings and Salutations. So saving ink. I can work with that. What I think I'm going to do is do a few versions and post images this weekend to see which people prefer. Farewell and safe journeys.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. For those looking for a Printer Friendly version, I worked on three samples. Instead of images, I just made a new Excel file which you should be able to download and view here (if it doesn't work, let me know).

http://www.prysus.com/Site/downloads/Pr ... mples.xlsx

While I might be able to include all of them, that would take more time as well as possibly create more difficulty with navigation and I'd rather keep this as clean as possible. If I can get a good feel for what works best for others, I can continue from there.

Follow-up: When I make a Printer Friendly version, I will also make a Printer Friendly version of the Magic and Psionics sheet as well as the Combat Sheet. Is there any other sheets people feel need a Printer Friendly version of?

For cosmetics, I'm considering what kiralon suggested earlier with a cover page. So I'm thinking (if I can find the right files to modify) of making a cover sheet with red dragon and title Palladium Fantasy RPG® Interactive Character Sheet. The look would probably be similar to what I have as the logo for my website. I don't intend to include a mini-red dragon logo on the Character Sheet (and other sheets) title bar.

I am toying with a navigation menu that can display on each page (but won't print) that may have the logo and/or another art image. First, I'll have to see if I can do it. Then, I'll have to check with Palladium for legal purposes. So I won't make any promises how this will come out.

The Printer Friendly version remains my current main focus. Thank you for your time and patience. Farewell and safe journeys.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

3 is perfect for my purposes
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

2 and 3 both look pretty good.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. So I've made some of the requested changes. There's a Cover page (with title and logo), and Printer Friendly versions (using the Black & White version 3 from previews) of three of the sheets (Character Sheet, Magic & Psionics, and Combat Sheet). I've also added a Navigation Menu with links to make it easy to jump to the other pages (as well as an image to make it more lively). The new cosmetics I added do increase the file size up to 1.22 MB (which is about 1MB larger than it used to be). That's not too large (in my opinion), but still worth noting.

I'm going to do a bit more troubleshooting. Then I'll likely send it to Palladium tonight or tomorrow. As I've used images, this might need additional approval time and/or rework. They may also prefer a smaller size without the graphics. So I'm not sure when the file will get officially updated. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Awesome, thanks for the hard work.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Just found another thing that would be helpful when sheets got mixed up. Is it possible to have either a header or footer of the characters name on each page? It took us quite a while with three OCCs that were the same to figure out whos character was whos.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Whiskeyjack wrote:Just found another thing that would be helpful when sheets got mixed up. Is it possible to have either a header or footer of the characters name on each page? It took us quite a while with three OCCs that were the same to figure out whos character was whos.

Greetings and Salutations. Valid suggestion. I looked into and this is what I found so far ...

I could have it the Character Name (e.g. value of F4 on the character sheet), but that would involve creating a Macro. This creates problems with sharing and using due to security reasons. To keep this simple for the end user, I do NOT want to use that option. As such, unless someone can find a non-macro method, I will not be using this option.

I can easily have it equal the File Name. Would this be acceptable to you? Or do you see a potential problem with this? I'm figuring if you have multiple characters, this would easily identify which is which. This may not have the prettiest look though. So while simple, it may not be the best.

I'm also willing to continue exploring ideas. Farewell and safe journeys.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I think

='Character Sheet'!$F$4

in a cell at the bottom or top of each page would work, but I don't have edit rights so im just guessing

='Character Sheet'
Picks the character cheet page

!$F$4
clones that cell to the new one.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kiralon wrote:I think

='Character Sheet'!$F$4

in a cell at the bottom or top of each page would work, but I don't have edit rights so im just guessing

='Character Sheet'

!$F$4

Greetings and Salutations. If I add a line onto each page, I can add that into such a cell. That will either require things to be resized to fit the extra line, or removing something currently there to make room for it. I've also debated about trying to add that into the Black and Red title bar area, but not sure how that would look.

That formula will not work in an actual Header (which Excel seems to always save room for). That's just the way Excel works, for whatever reason. Though the Password for most of the sheets is listed at the bottom of the Instructions. So feel free to edit your copy (but I recommend saving it under a different file name so you have an original in case things go wrong).

Hmm ... I might be able to move the title bar into the header area and then use that line for the cell. I'll give it more thought and remain open to opinions. Farewell and safe journeys.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Prysus wrote:
kiralon wrote:I think

='Character Sheet'!$F$4

='Character Sheet'

!$F$4

Greetings and Salutations. If I add a line onto each page, I can add that into such a cell. That will either require things to be resized to fit the extra line, or removing something currently there to make room for it. I've also debated about trying to add that into the Black and Red title bar area, but not sure how that would look.
That formula will not work in an actual Header (which Excel seems to always save room for). That's just the way Excel works, for whatever reason. Though the Password for most of the sheets is listed at the bottom of the Instructions. So feel free to edit your copy (but I recommend saving it under a different file name so you have an original in case things go wrong).

Hmm ... I might be able to move the title bar into the header area and then use that line for the cell. I'll give it more thought and remain open to opinions. Farewell and safe journeys.

Yeah only doable by a vba script, however on each page there is dead space that isn't printed out, so you could potentially put an identifier out of the print range
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kiralon wrote:Yeah only doable by a vba script, however on each page there is dead space that isn't printed out, so you could potentially put an identifier out of the print range

Greetings and Salutations. While I am putting the Navigation Menu in the dead space (and I set the Print Area so it will stick to the character sheet only), I don't believe putting the character name in that area will solve the problem. If I'm understanding correctly ...

Imagine you print out 20 different characters for a con (pre-gens and/or NPC). Something happens and the papers get scattered. You may (or may not) have the second page of the Character Sheet (with equipment and gold), Magic & Psionics page (1 to 2 pages of spells), and/or the Combat Sheet for each. By having the character name (or other easy identifier), you can then quickly put the relevant sheets back with the proper character instead of having to try and figure it out and remember.

It's kind of like why people will often print large documents with the page numbers, so if something happens it can be sorted out quickly. Only page numbers won't necessarily help in this particular situation. The solution will need to be printed on each page that's designed for printing (so I'm not worried about the Worktable or some of the other sheets).

Hmm ... well, I have a few ideas right now.

1: Simply have the File Name in the header. Effective, but not necessarily elegant.

2: Move the black and red title bar into the header, and use the area it used to occupy for the character name. This should work (I haven't actually tried it yet), but I'm worried that extra dead space (other than the character name) will look odd.

3: Change the black and red title bar on all the other pages (other than the first) from "Palladium Fantasy Character Sheet" to "Character Sheet: ['Character Sheet'!$F$4]" The formula is simple (just needs a sprinkling of "=" and "&" along with adjusting a quotation mark or two). The pages wouldn't be uniform any more (well, all of them would be except the first page).

I'm not sold on any of these ideas yet, but each time I discuss it I seem to come up with new ideas so talking it over is good. Farewell and safe journeys.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Well, I usually solve this problem with a stapler or a folder.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

My players like to shuffle their pages to the one they need instead if flipping, hence the lack of staples. Personally, what ever is easiest would work. File name definitely works, since the file name is the character name.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Whiskeyjack wrote:My players like to shuffle their pages to the one they need instead if flipping, hence the lack of staples. Personally, what ever is easiest would work. File name definitely works, since the file name is the character name.

Probably easier for them to just write their character name themselves, I didn't read it properly initially and thought you were talking about multiple excel docs open when making the character. This one I would put on the players to deal with as very few character sheets I have ever used have the characters name on all sheets, and character sheet management should be left to the pc's. (well that's how I was taught)
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Whiskeyjack wrote:My players like to shuffle their pages to the one they need instead if flipping, hence the lack of staples. Personally, what ever is easiest would work. File name definitely works, since the file name is the character name.

Greetings and Salutations. While I, in many ways, agree with kiralon about players taking care of their stuff ... I've added the file name into the header. This wasn't a very hard thing to implement. While doing so I also added the main page Footer (the copyright stuff) onto the other pages as well. The Header/file name will appear in a light (to medium) gray small font in the upper right corner of all* the Character pages (I made sure to add it onto the printer friendly versions as well). I used the light gray so it wouldn't detract much from the sheet, but still visible (if printed, but won't be visible on the computer unless someone changes the default view of the sheet).

*Only the pages really designed for printing. The Worksheet, the Skills Worksheet, etc. did not get the header or footer.

I'll send this to Palladium in just a little bit. I still haven't heard back from them on my last update. I think there might be a legal issue with one of the images I used (which was from a Palladium product, but still the property of the artist probably), so I'm not sure when the updated sheet will be released. That's all for now. Farewell and safe journeys.

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Appreciate all the effort you have put in to this!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. So I'm looking for some help. Someone on Facebook reported a problem with the Palladium Fantasy RPC Interactive Character Sheet.

I was checking out the fantasy interactive sheet and its got a lot of errors. Skills + level reduces the % (15th level Barter = -16%) but there is no way to edit the product (protected). Does anyone know if there is a free update or how to unlock the file so that I can fix it myself.

I tested the master copy I have, and the skill worked fine. I helped him unlock the sheet (directing him to the Instructions page, at the bottom), but he doesn't know the code well enough to find the problem.

He said it's on every line.
He's using Office 365.
He downloaded it from DriveThruRPG.

I don't know what the problem is, since it's working fine for me. But I use 2016, and didn't download it from either site. I was wondering if anyone who comes closer to the criteria verify the issue and give me more details. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. Farewell and safe journeys.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. So I figured out the problem, and the character sheet functions as it should. For those interested, I'll explain ...

The character sheet automatically levels up your skills as you go. So when your character reaches level 2, all your starting skills are automatically leveled up without any work from you. Now, at level 5, your O.C.C. advancement grants you a new skill. Per the rules, this new skill starts at base proficiency (effectively same as a level 1 character). So, on the character sheet, there's a "Level Selected" field. In the above example, you'd select 5. The character sheet will then level accordingly. ((Formula is effectively "Character Level"-"Level Selected"=Total per level bonus.)) This lets you select a new skill as you level up, and not have to worry about the math. The character sheet takes care of it for you.

In this case, what happened is the Level Selected (the level the character learned the skill) was set to 15, but the character was still level 1. So the character sheet put the skill at -14 levels ((1-15=-14)).

I'm not sure of a good safe guard to prevent this issue in the future, at least not one that won't cause other confusion. I'll think it over more and see if I come up with anything. Thank you for your time. Farewell and safe journeys.

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Maybe just a note on the info section to ensure that you level is set to level the skill was selected?
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Yeah, this one sounds a lot more like user error than design error, because the level picked is needed. Just maybe a more noticeable front cover link to the instructions (Who reads those lol).
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. My current idea for a "fix" is to include Conditional Formatting. What this means is that if the "Level Selected" is greater than the Character Level, the field will turn red. I should also be able to set it up so that the skill percentage will display as 0% until your Character Level equals are exceeds the Level Selected. By turning the field red it should alert the user to a problem, as well as narrow down the area that's causing it. I haven't tried this yet, but both should be fairly simple modifications.

An idea I considered (but will NOT be using) is to have the "Level Selected" drop down list only display numbers equal to or less than your Character Level. While this would prevent the problem in general, this solution might confuse others and cause them to believe the list only goes up to a certain number. Example: A level 1 character would only see a "1" option (no other numbers), while a level 3 character would see "1," "2," and "3." As such, the character can't select any other numbers which will prevent the issue from happening. However, someone new to the sheet might panic and think the list will only show "1" even when they reach higher levels. Basically, it solves one potential problem while causing another.

I'm still open to ideas and feedback on the idea. Also, if there's any other areas that could benefit from formatting (to help avoid user error), let me know. I'd rather just update everything at once. Thanks for all the help. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Recent Changes
September 1, 2019

Greetings and Salutations. I've done some work on remodifying the Magic Combat and three Hand to Hand styles that went with it. Now they're all one big page, included with mystical philosophies and Sorcery Proficiencies and Limitations. You can purchase the Sorcery Proficiencies with O.C.C. Related Skills are gain them as you level up your hand to hand. This setup should allow a greater deal of customization more in line with the feel of Ninjas & Superspies. If this design is well received, I'll see if I feel up to doing more for the Men of Arms classes with a similar format.

In other updates, if you didn't know, Palladium has officially released my Exel based Palladium Fantasy® Interactive Character Sheet. I've been doing more work on a similar and compatable version to be used as a NPC Sheet that can provide quick generic NPC, or be customized for more detailed NPC. This will still take a while to finish, and there's no guarantee Palladium will want to use it. That's all for now. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Any chance you do a list of Sorcery Proficiencies and limitations?

So What your plan for 2020?

Any New Magic spells,New Magic weapons/items,new Npcs and new Features for Magic weapons and items?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

gaby wrote:Any chance you do a list of Sorcery Proficiencies and limitations?

Greetings and Salutations. In theory I could, as I don't think it would be that hard, but I can't say I have much motivation to actually make such a list and I think it would be of minimal value to others. So I probably won't.

gaby wrote:So What your plan for 2020?

Any New Magic spells,New Magic weapons/items,new Npcs and new Features for Magic weapons and items?

Currently I'm bouncing between 3 different projects, none of which are intended for the website. For those curious though ...

1: An Excel-based Palladium Fantasy Interactive NPC Sheet, in the same design and concept as the Palladium Fantasy Interactive Character Sheet on the Palladium site. The intent is to have available every Playable Race and O.C.C. (excluding Druid, Summoner, Diabolist, and Alchemist) from the PF2 main book. Each of those characters can be made from Level 1 through Level 15. There are then additional features for further book-legal modifications made quick and easy. This project is (more or less) done. But, I still do things like fix minor bugs I find, and I'm attempting to get a walk-through video. I will need to be in contact with Palladium though before I can see what can be done with this, as it probably extends beyond their general allowed guidelines without permission.

2: I'm on another round of revisions to my Land of the South Winds manuscript. My goal: Stripping down some superfluous sections, adding material to other locations to make them more appealing (while sprinkling tiny aspects of the stripped material around, so it's not all gathered into one boring place and works more naturally with the other material), adding some additional cities as well as fleshing out the economy and geography a bit better in an attempt to make certain places feel more real/thought out, and restructuring the layout in an attempt to increase it's appeal to Palladium. I don't know what kind of progress I'll make on this project, or if I'll even submit it to Palladium when I'm done, but I want to do it regardless (for my sake, if nothing else).

3: A setting for my home group. Some of the players have never played Palladium before, and some get easier confused with rules than others. So instead of having them jump between at least 6 different books for material, I've been collecting the material I want to use in one document, and making modifications to suit my personal preferences along the way. After that, I'll be making a customized Interactive Character Sheet (similar to the above) for this custom game. Currently I'm at about 90 pages of edited material, and I still have a long way to go.

All of these projects will take time, and as a result I haven't been adding much new material to the website. When I do work on more material for the site, I'll likely be doing new Hand to Hand styles for the Men of Arms O.C.C. (in a similar style to what I did with magic users). Hope that helps answer any questions. Farewell and safe journeys.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”