A real skill, or am I making things up?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: A real skill, or am I making things up?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

In RUE that is the very next skill (Pg. 225), Lore: Faeries and Creatures of Magic. It even mentions dragons and sphinx. The same skill is also in BTS2 but I doubt it is in any other games.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Yeah, as warshield says, that it a rifts (etc.) skill. But PFRPG does have Lore: faerie folk on its own. However, it says under the description of Lore: magic, that it gives knowledge of magical creatures such as dragons, sphinx, unicorn, etc. Other creatures for palladium fantasy i have generally lumped under the title of "monsters" under the first skill.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Soldier of Od wrote:Yeah, as warshield says, that it a rifts (etc.) skill. But PFRPG does have Lore: faerie folk on its own. However, it says under the description of Lore: magic, that it gives knowledge of magical creatures such as dragons, sphinx, unicorn, etc. Other creatures for palladium fantasy i have generally lumped under the title of "monsters" under the first skill.

Yes, that was the old skille. PF2e and the original RMB and I believe BTS 1e all did that. Starting with RUE we see the skills described differently with a lot more clarity of subject matter. Persanolly the descriptions I use are all from BTS 2e as it even breaks up magic into 2 lore skills. The first basic lore magic the second is Arcane and more specialized.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Warshield73 wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:Yeah, as warshield says, that it a rifts (etc.) skill. But PFRPG does have Lore: faerie folk on its own. However, it says under the description of Lore: magic, that it gives knowledge of magical creatures such as dragons, sphinx, unicorn, etc. Other creatures for palladium fantasy i have generally lumped under the title of "monsters" under the first skill.

Yes, that was the old skille. PF2e and the original RMB and I believe BTS 1e all did that. Starting with RUE we see the skills described differently with a lot more clarity of subject matter. Persanolly the descriptions I use are all from BTS 2e as it even breaks up magic into 2 lore skills. The first basic lore magic the second is Arcane and more specialized.

I never really understood what it meant by "magic" and "magic arcane". Can anyone explain it to me? Cheers!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Soldier of Od wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

I never really understood what it meant by "magic" and "magic arcane". Can anyone explain it to me? Cheers!

Yeah, great question, it took me a few reads to get my own understanding of the distinction. In addition to BTS, I also tried reading Nightbane as they use the word "arcane" quite a bit too.

My two cents is that the word is often used in BTS, and somewhat in NB, to refer to the artifacts of magic use - scrolls, grimoires, charms, potions, runes, ritual props, etc. So, BTS splits the magic lore skill in to two skills, one about magic powers and one about magic artifacts. It's not as clean cut as that, but that is the soundbite version.

This distinction probably makes sense for the BTS setting but is a bit over-engineered for other settings. For example, NB treats arcane as a synonym for magical, but in some descriptive text leans a bit towards the artifact side of things sometimes. That said the anti-arcane NB power equates to anti-magic in general, so the BTS interpretation likely wouldn't fit. Also, in NB you have the Principles of Magic skill restricted to certain OCCs, which seems to replace Lore: Magic. Which raises the question whether someone who isn't a parapsychologist or magic user can learn anything about the history and theory of magic? Finally, NB makes the Lore: Geomancy and Ley Lines skill distinct from the Principles of Magic skill. Again, probably to reflect the flavor of the setting.

To parse this back into PFRPG would depend on what flavor a GM and players want when it comes to magic use in their game and how specialized their magic using PCs are. For example, one PC could be specialized for hunting down and mapping elusive LLs, while another could be all about the theatrics of rituals. Having specific skills that match the motivations of the party could add a level of depth to the gameplay. Or it could just be a level of detail that really isn't needed by the players to feel special.

Hope this helps
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Warshield73 wrote:

The skill in RUE is the skill for the Rifts game, not for the PF RPG game.
The PF2 core book does have the D&M lore and Lore; Faeriy Folk, the that the Lore: Magic covers CoM. As such CoM are covered by 'The New Skill' in the PF game. Because they are PF skills they take precedence over skills from other games.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”