Longbow SDC Damage

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Longbow SDC Damage

Unread post by kiralon »

The longbow damage is actually the arrow damage, as 2d6 is high damage for clubbing someone with a bit of wood.
There are some recent chats about different arrows, and I think Prysus did some if you wanted to look.
However if you wanted to use the longbow could i suggest playing one of the females of the Fayd family from the Seven Sisters on the Shadow Coast. Very few people seem to have noticed them and they are a little better at bow usage than most, and are still northerners, but human.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

What is said in the LoB book is a Total.
GMs can be infer that a Master Fletcher (Northern Hinterlands 169 & 170 for the OCC, someone that makes arrows) can become so skilled that they can add a damage bonus to their arrows. Like how skilled blade-smiths can add bonuses to their products (PF RPG 2n ed Core book page 271 & 272.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

You should check out the Raw Edition of Lopan (get while you can) because the book has non magical specialized arrows and lots of "new Long Bows". At
this time, I can neither confirm nor deny all these weapons will make it into the final version Island of Lopan but I'm feeling very confident.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I asked a version of this question regarding magic enhancements. The consensus was the same. Enchanting the bow is worthless. You need the arrows enchanted. Although, the bow might give you a bonus to strike. Of course, enchanting things is expensive so doing it to arrows is going to break the bank. With SDC and all the physical skills/racial abilities that provide SDC, arrows are much less helpful. Even the frightening longbow does an ave.rage of 7 damage per hit, 10-11 for giant sized. Compare that with something as simple as a Dwarven Battle Axe, which does 15-18 with no worry about ammunition. That's also assuming no PS bonus and not using a double attack with Paired Weapons. Cyclops arrows are quite powerful, but good luck finding one.

-Vek
"Ditch SDC and arrows are worth it."
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I asked a version of this question regarding magic enhancements. The consensus was the same. Enchanting the bow is worthless. You need the arrows enchanted. Although, the bow might give you a bonus to strike. Of course, enchanting things is expensive so doing it to arrows is going to break the bank. With SDC and all the physical skills/racial abilities that provide SDC, arrows are much less helpful. Even the frightening longbow does an ave.rage of 7 damage per hit, 10-11 for giant sized. Compare that with something as simple as a Dwarven Battle Axe, which does 15-18 with no worry about ammunition. That's also assuming no PS bonus and not using a double attack with Paired Weapons. Cyclops arrows are quite powerful, but good luck finding one.

-Vek
"Ditch SDC and arrows are worth it."

You are correct sir
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Arrows do no damage by the book, and clubbing people to death with the bow seems to be the way to go ;)

But the fact that you can hit people from 600ft away on a 5+ with poisoned arrows is fairly effective in open field combat, or if its a longbowman on a horse.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

2D6+2
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Reagren Wright wrote:You should check out the Raw Edition of Lopan (get while you can) because the book has non magical specialized arrows and lots of "new Long Bows". At
this time, I can neither confirm nor deny all these weapons will make it into the final version Island of Lopan but I'm feeling very confident.

Greetings and Salutations. So based on the above post, I recently purchased the RAW Edition of Lopan for the sole purpose of checking out the bows and arrows. After looking at the section I will say ... I'm disappointed. The non-magical arrows aren't too bad (except one, which seemed fine at a glance, but felt poorly designed once you put any thought into it), but I found 3 long bows. Two of the long bows had poorly designed game mechanics that made them completely ineffective as weapons (though I suspect that it was simply poorly written and the text indicates something different than the actual intent of those rules), and the other had so many concept issues in the fluff text issues it strained any suspension of disbelief even for a fantasy world (though the stats weren't too bad, but it had about two paragraphs of flavor text about how unique it is ... except those paragraphs have it make no sense, to me). I looked at some of the other weapons as well, and they were rather hit or miss. I stopped to avoid any further headache. I hope those items are heavily edited (or removed completely) before the book sees print.

Note: I so badly want to go into detail of why I disliked those items, but I'm trying to respect the request of Palladium to not post any portion of the work. As such, I'm trying to leave this vague, while also noting for others who may consider picking it up.

Thank you for your time and patience, and apologies for posting just to rant a little. I will note that I've always had some trouble with the written word, so perhaps these flaws are just my misreading/misunderstanding something. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:Standard longbow does 2D6 damage with run of the mill arrows. In Library of Bletherad, pg. 65 a NPC buys special arrows (2D6+2) to use in conjunction with his longbow. Would it be an additive situation? 2D6 base damage, plus the 2D6+2 for a total of 4D6+2 per shot? Or would you just take the higher arrow damage and inflict 2D6+2 per shot? 4D6+2 seems fairly high given that is in the range of enchanted weapons, or even lesser rune weapons.

As others have said the damage is for the arrow.

Now Megaversally I can point you toward a few bow weapons that alter the arrow damage from the standard that can hit harder, but those bows are going to require exotic (for PF) construction and a high PS score:
-Steeltree Bows in Rifts WB26 require a normal PS of 21 , and when firing non-steeltree arrow shafts do 4d6 SDC as they shatter on impact (they do MD with Steeltree shafts in Rifts).
-Larhold Barbarian Bows in Rifts WB9 will do damage based on SN Punch Damage, which using the PF SN Punch Table starts doing more damage than a regular bow in the 21 or better range.
-Rifts Spirit West has a manufactured Pulley Augmented Bow that specifically adds extra damage to bows (they shatter on impact) due to the high string draw weight (reduced from 35 to 21 due to pulley). Now technically pulley technology should not be out of the setting's technological reach, but the idea adapting it to bows might not have occurred to them (IINM it's a 20th Century innovation in the real world).

Megaversally it should be noted that Rifts Japan has enchantment options for Bows (one option alters the damage, some GM tinkering might be required for this to work in PF), for those interested see the Zen Masters Bows (WB8 or BoM). You also have enchanted arrows (along with non-enchanted Japanese trick arrows that trade damage for "sonic effects") in addition to various types, the explosive arrow could be duplicated in PF with the right materials (I know they exist I just forget the name off hand that are exploding rocks). There is also the class of Magic Tattoos for archery and Biomancy's Energy Bow both lost magical arts in the Palladium world (technically the Tattoos category in question appears to be a more recent development). Dragons and Gods has Dragon Bone arrows that do more damage than baseline and fly farther (but are super expensive).

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”