Board index » SDC Worlds » Palladium Fantasy RPG®

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Palladium Lore Books
Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:01 am
  

User avatar
Wanderer

Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:37 am
Posts: 68
As I have been reading Garden of the Gods and referring back to other books (like Old Ones and Dragons and Gods), I wondered if Kevin has ever thought about releasing books that are just pure lore books and not "game" books. I would love to have something like this to really flesh out the Palladium Fantasy world. Garden of the Gods has me intrigued with various ideas that seem so unfinished.

Anybody else out there like this idea?


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Palladium Lore Books
Unread postPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:43 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:01 pm
Posts: 193
Location: Montana
Maybe?

I still run the 1E Fantasy game, partly because I felt that by the time they got into Book 7 (Yin-Sloth Jungles), there was a lot of game content that was just there to fill books that I had no intention of ever using in my games. As more and more books piled on, it also seemed that there was less and less of the world that you could truly play with as a GM without stepping on the "official" game world, and more things that (to me anyway) just didn't really make much sense. I feel like the Ophids Grasslands (that are basically the North American Great Plains) aren't all that usable between the Devil's Mark, the summoner (plus summons and henchmen) stronghold in the mountains, the roving tusker demi-god, and the influence of those things would have to exert on the wildlife living in great swaths of that area from the Monsters and Animals book. I feel like my version that actually has room for roaming Centaur tribes, settlements strung out on a water and overland trade route, and seasonal trading based on the western "mountain man" fur trade and "rondezvous" being a lot more interesting and usable than the official version. I understand others may not, however. There is also the fact, that I started building certain areas of the setting based on relatively limited (and wide open) descriptions from early books before the regional source book came out (like the Eastern Territories). As a result, I mainly use the 1E core rule book, Book 2 (The Old Ones) for Timiro Kingdom maps, Book 3 (The High Seas) for more classes, skills and Bizantium maps, and the Monsters and Animals book. Anything beyond that I may take snippets from, but that is about it.

I actually prefer the books that leave a lot for the GM to fill in on their own. The more detailed and constraining the source book, the less interested I am in having it. I know there are people that buy Palladium books almost exclusively for the lore, though I have no idea how much of their customer base is that sort. They might certainly have some buyers for books that were just pure setting, and others that like to have a really fully fleshed out lore/setting to go with whatever additions there are to game rules for that area. I'm just not one of them. Might be worth a try on the part of Palladium if they end up with the content and desire for the experiment.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Palladium Lore Books
Unread postPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:11 am
  

Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:48 am
Posts: 260
Eric42
Lore would be nice but someone's going to want to use Lore in their games. That's going to lead to game stats.

Kraynic
I don't mind details being filled in. Its still a big world so there's still room adventures that won't bother canon. Not that I think canon should get in the way of having fun. We are free to use what we like in our games.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Palladium Lore Books
Unread postPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:33 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm
Posts: 380
A Lore-type book would be good, but... I think novelizations would go a long way towards fulfilling that. For an example, look how the Dragonlance novels and those set in the Forgotten Realms (before the 4E crap) fleshed out the worlds.

_________________
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Palladium Lore Books
Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:45 am
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 10254
Location: Houston, TX
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
Fenris2020 wrote:
A Lore-type book would be good, but... I think novelizations would go a long way towards fulfilling that. For an example, look how the Dragonlance novels and those set in the Forgotten Realms (before the 4E crap) fleshed out the worlds.


I've long held that anthologies are one of the best ways. An anthology will give you several perspectives on the setting, from different authors, and can have several different locations highlighted.

They're also generally easier than full novels.

_________________
When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Whiskerbutt (n): homemade RPG materials found in secondhand RPG materials.
[T]he Republicans [are] unique relics of the past. - Sourcebook 1 (revised, p. 6)
All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Palladium Lore Books
Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:39 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 3412
Location: Houston, TX
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Mark Hall wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
A Lore-type book would be good, but... I think novelizations would go a long way towards fulfilling that. For an example, look how the Dragonlance novels and those set in the Forgotten Realms (before the 4E crap) fleshed out the worlds.


I've long held that anthologies are one of the best ways. An anthology will give you several perspectives on the setting, from different authors, and can have several different locations highlighted.

They're also generally easier than full novels.

Anthologies, novellas, full novels. Format is irrelevant what is important is quality and continuity. That don't have to be perfect but decent editing and don't conflict with the gaming books or each other. They should also have gaming stats for any person, race, monster, or item not already in the books.

They should also all be set in the past. Stories are a great way to build up the lore and history but you don't want things to get in the way of GMs.

_________________
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Palladium Lore Books
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:54 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 pm
Posts: 107
Location: TX
Comment: Meh
Kraynic wrote:
I still run the 1E Fantasy game, partly because I felt that by the time they got into Book 7 (Yin-Sloth Jungles), there was a lot of game content that was just there to fill books that I had no intention of ever using in my games. As more and more books piled on, it also seemed that there was less and less of the world that you could truly play with as a GM without stepping on the "official" game world, and more things that (to me anyway) just didn't really make much sense. I feel like the Ophids Grasslands (that are basically the North American Great Plains) aren't all that usable between the Devil's Mark, the summoner (plus summons and henchmen) stronghold in the mountains, the roving tusker demi-god, and the influence of those things would have to exert on the wildlife living in great swaths of that area from the Monsters and Animals book. I feel like my version that actually has room for roaming Centaur tribes, settlements strung out on a water and overland trade route, and seasonal trading based on the western "mountain man" fur trade and "rondezvous" being a lot more interesting and usable than the official version. I understand others may not, however. There is also the fact, that I started building certain areas of the setting based on relatively limited (and wide open) descriptions from early books before the regional source book came out (like the Eastern Territories). As a result, I mainly use the 1E core rule book, Book 2 (The Old Ones) for Timiro Kingdom maps, Book 3 (The High Seas) for more classes, skills and Bizantium maps, and the Monsters and Animals book. Anything beyond that I may take snippets from, but that is about it.

I actually prefer the books that leave a lot for the GM to fill in on their own. The more detailed and constraining the source book, the less interested I am in having it. I know there are people that buy Palladium books almost exclusively for the lore, though I have no idea how much of their customer base is that sort. They might certainly have some buyers for books that were just pure setting, and others that like to have a really fully fleshed out lore/setting to go with whatever additions there are to game rules for that area. I'm just not one of them. Might be worth a try on the part of Palladium if they end up with the content and desire for the experiment.


I basically feel the same way here. I run Fantasy 1e and I enjoy the freedom of having things kind of blank and allowing me to fill in the details. I am old school so this is how I play.

Though nothing wrong if you want things fleshed out for you, a GM's job is a lot of work, and with some folks, the less they have to worry about the more comfortable they are in running a game.

_________________
- TheEvilDM
RailGuns & Dragons - Palladium RPGS! My Youtube Series Exploring Palladium products
Actual Plays Podcast - Can be found on all major Podcast platforms and youtube!
Palladium MegaVerse Podcast
- Season 1 DeadWinter- a Dead Reign Day 0 start
- Season 2 Heroes Unlimited Campaign!
- Season 3 Palladium Fantasy 1e (soon)


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Palladium Lore Books
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:10 am
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 pm
Posts: 674
Location: Thunder Bay, NW Ontario
Warshield73 wrote:
That don't have to be perfect but decent editing and don't conflict with the gaming books or each other.

Having almost finished reading Garden of the Gods, I almost spit out my coffee reading this. I'm quite used to poor editing in PB books, but GotG is by far the worst I've seen yet. I can't understand how a company that produces books, can't get a 2nd grader to give it read to check for spelling and grammar issues before print.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: Palladium Lore Books
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:45 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm
Posts: 380
Whiskeyjack wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
That don't have to be perfect but decent editing and don't conflict with the gaming books or each other.

Having almost finished reading Garden of the Gods, I almost spit out my coffee reading this. I'm quite used to poor editing in PB books, but GotG is by far the worst I've seen yet. I can't understand how a company that produces books, can't get a 2nd grader to give it read to check for spelling and grammar issues before print.



I line-edit for a couple of my friends who are authors; I'd be happy to do the same for Palladium Books.

_________________
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group