What Is Up with Clowns in Palladium Fantasy?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

What Is Up with Clowns in Palladium Fantasy?

Unread post by Hotrod »

What the heck is up with Clowns in PF? Adventures on the High Seas describes them as some kind of super-serious guild, like clowning is some strange combination of esoteric art form and organized crime.

Here's the skill description:
Clowning(New!): The profession of the clown is an ancient one, known to have been practiced on the Palladium World as long ago as the Time of a Thousand Magicks, 70,000 years in the past! Clowning is more than just a costume and makeup, although learning to wear the costumes and apply the makeup is a difficult and time consuming process. Clowns take on very special "characters" (as if the charactr were role-playing someone entirely different). Note that clowns, in the Palladium World, are not considered to be funny (although they do get laughs). Their acts, skits and plays are all ancient routines (called "mystery plays"), the meanings of which arc often totally lost in the history of a forgotten time. All clowns are members of the "Guild of Kleintro," no ifs, and, or buts. "False" clowns, those without guild authority, are hunted down and killed, usually by assassins, but royal agents of the Western Empire. The Kingdom of Timiro, and the Eastern Territory have all been involved, at one time or another, in the slaying of pretend clowns.

And here's the guild description:
Guild of Kleintro is by far the most feared and deadly of all the various entertainment guilds. All clowns are members of the Guild of Kleintro, no ifs, ands or buts. "False" clowns, those without guild authority, are hunted down and killed, usually by assassins, but royal agents of the Western Empire, the Kingdom of Timiro, and the Eastern Territory have all been involved in the slaying of pretend clowns. Members of the Kleintro, even when they are not in clown garb, are usually easily identified by their bizarre gloves. It's not just that the gloves are large (they are!). but that they are always mismatched. so the number of fingers on one hand never matches the digits on me other, and so it looks as if they have from two to nine fingers on a hand. Some clowns, particularly those from the islands of Phi and Lopan. but from other places as well, also tattoo the outline (in a weird "stitch" pattern) of their oversized clown mouths on their faces.

This makes no sense. If people don't understand the meaning or point of their routines and they aren't funny, then why would people spend money on it enough for it to be a profession? In what sort of venue do clowns perform? Why does the guild exist at all? Why is it taken seriously by anyone? Why would clowns care about fake vs legit clowns enough to hire assassins? Why would three different human governments care? Why murder a fake clown?

Is this some kind of a reference to pop culture or medieval history? Why is this a thing, much less a serious thing that induces multiple non-aligned governments to murder people for clowning around without a guild membership?

(side note: I don't find clowns in real life to be remotely scary. One came to a birthday party I went to when I was a kid, and that dude was hilarious. Ronald McDonald is awesome, and the notion of clowns being scary is ludicrous to me.)
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: What Is Up with Clowns in Palladium Fantasy?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I see you're not up on your Rifters...

Rifter #49. "Princes of the Universe", about the magic of Regomancy, written by a particularly handsome, perceptive, and humble author.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Ther Ludicrius mage.

What Stage Magician,s abilities from Rifter 79 do you think it also work for Clowns?
Last edited by gaby on Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Mark Hall wrote:I see you're not up on your Rifters...

Rifter #49. "Princes of the Universe", about the magic of Regomancy, written by a particularly handsome, perceptive, and humble author.

*looks it up*

Ok, that actually makes sense now. Nice work on that!
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Library Ogre

And I don't seem to have a copy of that one anymore. Like, I'm pretty sure I have the Rifter, but can't find the file.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

there's the rifter index in the rifter forum.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Hotrod wrote:What the heck is up with Clowns in PF? Adventures on the High Seas describes them as some kind of super-serious guild, like clowning is some strange combination of esoteric art form and organized crime.

I don't really have anything to add except that this immediately made me think of the Fool's Guild from the Men at Arms (I think that was the one) novel by Terry Pratchett.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Hotrod wrote:

*looks it up*

that book also has some interesting Stage Mage rules... and annoying 'better at everything' bonus for Lazlo citizens
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Axelmania wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

*looks it up*

that book also has some interesting Stage Mage rules... and annoying 'better at everything' bonus for Lazlo citizens

Yeah, I've never been fond of "Natives of XXX all get YYY advantages over their foreign counterparts" rules, unless they also get some drawbacks to go with them.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Library Ogre

One thing I have liked from 5e, and wish Palladium had included for everyone, not just knights and palladins, was "background skills". To an extent, this is what secondary skills are supposed to be, but you seldom have enough to cover what you want (or, IME, you have too many), so the idea of 4 background skills as the base of what you receive helps to round out characters, but in not-necessarily-optimized ways.

All Palladium Articles
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

First Ed had that with the social background bonus skills
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Hotrod wrote:What the heck is up with Clowns in PF? Adventures on the High Seas describes them as some kind of super-serious guild, like clowning is some strange combination of esoteric art form and organized crime.

Here's the skill description:
Clowning(New!): The profession of the clown is an ancient one, known to have been practiced on the Palladium World as long ago as the Time of a Thousand Magicks, 70,000 years in the past! Clowning is more than just a costume and makeup, although learning to wear the costumes and apply the makeup is a difficult and time consuming process. Clowns take on very special "characters" (as if the charactr were role-playing someone entirely different). Note that clowns, in the Palladium World, are not considered to be funny (although they do get laughs). Their acts, skits and plays are all ancient routines (called "mystery plays"), the meanings of which arc often totally lost in the history of a forgotten time. All clowns are members of the "Guild of Kleintro," no ifs, and, or buts. "False" clowns, those without guild authority, are hunted down and killed, usually by assassins, but royal agents of the Western Empire. The Kingdom of Timiro, and the Eastern Territory have all been involved, at one time or another, in the slaying of pretend clowns.

And here's the guild description:
Guild of Kleintro is by far the most feared and deadly of all the various entertainment guilds. All clowns are members of the Guild of Kleintro, no ifs, ands or buts. "False" clowns, those without guild authority, are hunted down and killed, usually by assassins, but royal agents of the Western Empire, the Kingdom of Timiro, and the Eastern Territory have all been involved in the slaying of pretend clowns. Members of the Kleintro, even when they are not in clown garb, are usually easily identified by their bizarre gloves. It's not just that the gloves are large (they are!). but that they are always mismatched. so the number of fingers on one hand never matches the digits on me other, and so it looks as if they have from two to nine fingers on a hand. Some clowns, particularly those from the islands of Phi and Lopan. but from other places as well, also tattoo the outline (in a weird "stitch" pattern) of their oversized clown mouths on their faces.

This makes no sense. If people don't understand the meaning or point of their routines and they aren't funny, then why would people spend money on it enough for it to be a profession? In what sort of venue do clowns perform? Why does the guild exist at all? Why is it taken seriously by anyone? Why would clowns care about fake vs legit clowns enough to hire assassins? Why would three different human governments care? Why murder a fake clown?

Is this some kind of a reference to pop culture or medieval history? Why is this a thing, much less a serious thing that induces multiple non-aligned governments to murder people for clowning around without a guild membership?

(side note: I don't find clowns in real life to be remotely scary. One came to a birthday party I went to when I was a kid, and that dude was hilarious. Ronald McDonald is awesome, and the notion of clowns being scary is ludicrous to me.)

As I understand it from a friend who's actually been to the school of the clown, back when clowning started it was kind of like that; not quite to the extent as described in the book, but you didn't want to be a "foreign or fake clown" in a lot of areas. You could be beaten, tarred and feathered, robbed, maybe killed.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”