Weird stuff and comments . . .

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Unread post by Kevin »

Before I forget, sorry I haven't been posting much lately, I've just been buried in work trying to write, do business, exploit some new, exciting opportunities and process Christmas Grab Bags. I'll try to post Murmurs
more frequently in the weeks to come. (I hope).

My feelings about Palladium’s wonderful fans and Thanksgiving are expressed in the press release going up later this evening. It was mainly an excuse to wish you all well and tell you how much you are appreciated by us all at Palladium.

It’s been a bit of a weird week or two

I’m frustrated because I’m writing slow and Dyval feels like it is taking forever. The weird part is, I’m having a blast when I manage to find the time to write and the book is nothing short of GREAT.

A friend from my past

My cousin Alan called me out of the blue on Monday. We had lost track of each other something like 18 years ago (it’s a long and private story). However, we have both had only good thoughts about each other and wondered how the other was doing for a long time. We had both even made a half-hearted attempt find each other about eight years ago, but failed.

Anyway, we had a great conversation and look forward to getting together in the weeks to come. The weird part is, we both moved to the same area, about five years ago, and live only three miles away from one another!

Some weird questions

Well, weird or odd to me.

I’ve had a couple of people ask me why we do the Christmas Grab Bags. That they are too much work.

I find that weird, because doing the Christmas Grab Bags is a pleasure. They make me smile and I’m happy to put in that little extra effort to sign books, drop in a personal note, or do something to make someone else’s Christmas a little more special, happy, and fun. The Palladium crew feels the same way.

When I said that, the person retorted, that he didn’t know a single other company where the CEO and main writer, let alone other members of the staff, would do such a thing. Only he said it in a disapproving tone of voice, like I was wasting my time.

Yeah, I admit that the Grab Bags rob us of a lot of time that I guess I could be writing and doing other things. And maybe no other CEO or author would do this, at least not on this scale. I don’t care. Our fans are important and special to me, Kathy and the Palladium crew and we are happy to do it. I don't care what others may think.

Exactly how awesome you, our fans, truly are was made self-evident last year from your life-saving response to the Crisis of Treachery. So I say the greatest fans on Earth deserve a little special treatment from me and the gang at Palladium. It's all part of that sense of community, unity, camaraderie and fun that makes Palladium fandom special. Hey, we’ve created something magical and wonderful. Embrace it and enjoy it while we have it. I am.

I was also reminded of something a friend said to me last year. We were chatting for 3-4 hours as I wrapped a zillion Christmas gifts. Some for freelancers, some for friends and family. After a while (and after I had been humming X-Mas caroles, chuckling and making comments like, “Man, Alex is gonna love this.” “This will put a smile on Carl’s face.” “Wayne won’t expect this.”), he said with genuine surprise, “Kev, you really enjoy this.”

My response was something like, “Uh, yeah, of course.” To which he said, “No, I mean you’ve taken the time to buy every person something special that you think they’ll enjoy.” To which I said, “Uh, yeah, of course.”

Yet, according to him, a lot of people don’t make the effort and hate all the work and obligation invovled. I found that weird, because I don’t feel obligated, and while it is work finding, picking, buying and wrapping (and in many cases, packaging and shipping) the gifts, it’s also a joy. I keep my eye open all year for items I think my friends and family might enjoy. It also helps to spread the cost out over 12 months so I’m not buried in debt at end of the year. I guess I like doing something -- even something little -- to say, “I love you,” “thank you” and “you’re appreciated.” The gift is just an expression of that. And I hope those feelings aren’t as rare and alien as this person seemed to think they were.

Hmm, maybe I was brainwashed by an idealistic Mother and a Catholic upbringing. Or maybe it's those sappy movies I love like It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Story and A Christmas Carole. (On the other hand, two of my other favorite X-Mas movies is Die Hard and Lethal Weapon, so what does that say about me, huh?) Whatever the cause, I'm glad for it.

I hope all of you find peace and happiness this Holiday Season, and share it with those who make you smile and feel welcomed. We all have our share of adversity, and even if you are struggling with your own crisis and sorrow, find those moments of joy, humor, laughter and love that remind you that, ultimately, life is good. Because it's those moments that help you get through the dark times.

Now get out there and have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher, Writer, Artist and Friend

© Copyright November 21, 2007 Palladium Books Inc. All rights reserved, worldwide.
Rifts®, The Rifter®, RECON®, Splicers®, Palladium Books®, Phase World®, Megaverse®, Nightbane®, The Mechanoids®, The Mechanoid Invasion®, and Coalition Wars® are Registered Trademarks of Palladium Books Inc. Naruni, Cyber-Knights and other titles, names, slogans and likenesses are trademarks of Palladium Books Inc.

Robotech® and Robotech® The Shadow Chronicles are Registered Trademarks of Harmony Gold USA, Inc.

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”