Mumbles and Grumbles from Kevin

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Mumbles and Grumbles from Kevin

Unread post by Kevin »

Even though I’m enjoying the positive response and strong sales of Rifts® Sourcebook One (people love the book, keep saying it has the magic of the original books when Rifts® was first released, and one distributor has already reordered the title), for me and the Palladium crew, Sourcebook One is already old news.

I know that probably sounds odd, but we’ve been working on D-Bees of North America and The Rifter® #38 for weeks now. Plus I’ve been plotting releases for the next six months and been co-ordinating art for The Rifter® #38 and #39, Hades, Dyval and some other titles as well as our convention schedules. That’s just the way the publishing biz works. We’re always thinking 3-8 months ahead. It’s kinda fun and exciting, but at the same time it kinda sucks, because you really don’t have much time to enjoy the fruits of you efforts before having to dive into the next SIX things.

Actually, I’m very much enjoying the positive feedback on Rifts® Sourcebook One. It is a special book to me on a lot of different levels, and it is our first step on the journey to getting Palladium back on its feet and strong again. And it has been gratifying for me, the creator and the publisher, to see all the excitement and the book’s instant success! I hope you all enjoy it. I sure enjoyed writing it.

A snow storm is supposed to be blowing in this evening, but right now it is sunny and beautiful looking outside. Emphasis on beautiful “looking” because it is bone chilling cold.

Brandon Aten is coming in tomorrow to spend his Spring break giving us a helping hand (what a guy), so I hope the storm doesn’t delay his arrival.

A lot of good things seem to starting to happen for Palladium Books, so why do I feel kinda blah today? Part of it is I picked up a cold (my first of the winter). Another part is frustration that our books are sliding off schedule a week or two, here and there.

I find myself constantly griping that I’m not writing fast enough, because it’s not fast enough to get these books out on schedule and it bugs me. I know Palladium has a rep for often being late on releases, but it bothers me, it always has. And especially now where a new release means vital sales and cash flow.

Funny thing is, I’m actually writing and editing at breakneck speed. I didn’t realize that until talking with Subjugator over the weekend. I was grumbling about my progress on Rifts® D-Bees, and Dennis asks, “So how long does it take to write a book?”

In the past, a 160 page sourcebook would take me 6-8 weeks, most freelancers need 3-6 months. A 192-224 page sourcebook takes me 8-10 weeks, most freelancers need 5-12 months. An RPG takes longer. Sourcebook One took me four weeks. D-Bees, a 192-224 pager, looks like it’s gonna take me about 4 weeks too, granted, a lot of it is done to some degree or another, but I’m reading every word and doing a fair amount of rewriting and additions to old and new material alike.

My response got Subjugator to gasp and exclaim, “And that’s in addition to all the other stuff you do. My god, Kevin, you’re a writing machine!”

And that’s when it dawned on me, I am writing pretty darn fast, and it's some of the best work I think I have ever done. To borrow a sports term, “I’m in the zone,” and I have been for a couple of months now. I’m inspired too. Yet it's still frustrating because it's not fast enough! My frustration is compounded by the fact that I have all these great, new ideas, and not enough time to do them. I have other commitments to be done first. Even editing and doing tweaks and rewrites on a book written by someone else takes 2-4 weeks. At least to make it the best it can be.

The dilemma a writer faces is that writing is a labor intensive process, and slow. Worse, it’s a creative endeavor in which it really isn’t finished until that last word is written. Consequently, there are times when it feels like you’ve been writing and writing with no end in sight. You feel like the book will never get done, your deadline is slipping and you still have two weeks to go! Arrgh. Sometimes that leads you to start doubting yourself and the quality of the book, other times you just feel exhausted or struggle to stay on track, and other times your mind is just spinning with ideas you can’t get down fast enough. Writing is kind of crazy and a little lonely. Even if you’re collaborating with nine other guys (more if you include artists), like this Rifts® D-Bees book, everyone works on their own and turns in their part. Writers are isolated. They do their work alone, by themselves. The work is difficult (to make it sing), and the world goes on all around you, but you don’t have a clue what’s going on. You’re like a turtle who peaks out from his shell from time to time, before sliding back inside to write. Earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia? Snow storm is coming? What, no new episodes of Heroes till April 23rd!? See you Wednesday, sweetheart, I have to work late and spend the night at the office to get this dang book finished. Hmm, that covers my life these days.

Life at Palladium continues to be a bit of a whirlwind, and though our release schedule is slipping by a couple weeks, please know we are working hard, all of us, and that the books coming are going to be great!

Oh, and while some of the above may sound like a bummer (and it is sometimes), for the most part it is not. Not really. Sure, I’d love to have a normal life again, have weekends off and go home before the sun goes down. Maybe even take a week off. That just isn’t possible right now, and that’s okay. The sacrifice is worth it when we hear you guys and gals go crazy for a new release like Sourcebook One. Its okay, because we are climbing out of that deep, deep hole we were dropped into. Its okay, because for every frustration and problem there seems to be a miracle. And I, for one, love what I do. You see, when you’re a writer, it’s easy to let the real world fade away and immerse yourself in writing. Three hours of real time feels like a half hour, especially when you’re hot/inspired. Sometimes you actually have to make an effort not to write and find time for friends, family and living. People are the most important part of a good life, and I'm blessed with knowing an army of wonderful people.

Anyway, those are my inner thoughts for today. I spent a lot of time yesterday clearing my plate for writing the next few days. A new press release with formal updates and info will post later today, March 6, 2007. I look forward to visiting, chatting and gaming with a bunch of you at the Palladium Open House coming up fast.

Thanks for your feedback on Rifts® Sourcebook One. I’m thrilled you are lovin’ it. You’re gonna enjoy the rest of this year’s line-up too.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher, Writer, Artist and Ruminator
© copyright March 6, 2007

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”