Corporate mutation phenomenon

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Corporate mutation phenomenon

Unread post by AlexM »

It's strange. I've been a comic book fan waiting on my favorite artist or writer at comic book conventions. A Star Trek fan waiting on my favorite actor. And a fan of other subjects that make me geek out like the next guy when a new book comes out on my (usually obscure) favorite subject.

At the Palladium Open House, I was surprised to have a few fans refer to me as an OK guy. But due mostly to the internet, where face to face meetings are not possible, I have become one of them. Someone who is no longer a fan, or if I ever was a fan, someone who has forgotten what it's like to be a fan. People were surprised that my common, everyday dress consists of a pair of black Converse high-tops, black pants and a black shirt. I make no effort to do anything but comb what little hair I have left and never plan on visiting a tanning salon.

Internally, I'm still pretty much the fan boy I've always been. And even though I'm no longer into Japanese anime, I still check out what's new every now and then.

Some people think that becoming part of a corporation causes some kind of transformation, usually with negative effect, but I'm here to do a job to the best of my ability. The fact that occasional mistakes are made is not my goal. It's just part of being a human being who has good days and bad.

But another kind of transformation does occur. You find out what it's like to do this day in and day out. You find out how licensing really works, how dealing with the book trade really works and the ups and downs of running a business. Your entire perspective changes because all of it is how things really go. Then there is the down side. Not being able to please everyone. And disagreements and criticisms about decisions and policies. And on occasion, dealing with rumors that are false or accusations without a factual basis. Most people are reasonable but there always seem to be a few who are immature and rude or convinced of something that they think is true regardless of the lack of evidence for their belief. I think the anonymous nature of the internet encourages that. Too bad.

To any who I may have slighted unecessarily, I'm sorry. But our message board, for example, is like a room full of people. Think back to high school and the few class clowns who always acted like jerks.

I'm just trying to do the best I can.

Alex Marciniszyn

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”