More about writing

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

More about writing

Unread post by Kevin »

I thought Alex’s observations “About Writing” were all excellent and to the point. Read and take ‘em to heart.

Here’s my quick two-cents worth of writing advice.

1) Don’t try to be a writer, relax and have fun. What do I mean by this? I mean don’t try to write big long sentences with big fancy words. Don’t try to be what you “imagine” a writer “should be.” Just sit down and do it. Write like you would if you were having a conversation with a friend. Be conversational, to the point and interesting. You can always come back to it later and spruce it up. (That’s called a “second draft.”)

I see waaaaaaaaay too many young writers try waaaaaay too hard to be something they aren’t. Forget about image and looking good. Forget about impressing anybody. Just sit down and write to have fun and convey your ideas. Relaxing, having fun and writing clearly are half the battle.

2) Write to convey emotion and ideas. People remember characters and concepts that, a) they like, b) they can relate to, and c) wow them – were memorable, fun, interesting, or different.

3) Trust your gut. You know what you like. You know what your fellow gamers and buddies like, so give it to the reader. This sorta goes back to #1. Don’t over-think your writing. Don’t overwrite it, and don’t get all fancy and muddled because you’re trying too hard. The first draft should always be to get your ideas down. The rest is all fine tuning and polishing.

4) Enjoy yourself. Writing should be a joy not a chore. Yet at the same time be self-critical and listen to other people’s constructive criticism. Never be afraid to look at your work harshly and strive to improve, but at the same time don’t drive yourself crazy or overwork the material to death. Yeah, it’s a fine line and a bit of a juggling act, but you’ll get it.

5) If you love writing (or art, or film or whatever creative venture that gives your mind and heart wings) keep at it. Don’t give up. Don’t let other people crush your spirit with negativity. Stay at it with a mind to learn and improve and do better. Who knows where your dreams may carry you. Look where they’ve taken me.

For those of you writers (and artists) looking to cut your teeth at writing and getting published, think about writing a short 6-20 page something and submit it to The Rifter. That's what The Rifter is there for.

That’s it for now.

– Kevin Siembieda
Writer, Editor, Game Designer & Creator of Worlds

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”