Time for a little light and laughter

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Time for a little light and laughter

Unread post by Kevin »

I wrote my Special Update of March 30, 2020 because I had a terrible weekend writing, the weather was gray and stormy (still is), the news is filled with mounting numbers of people getting sick or dying from Covid-19, we are on a Stay at Home Order here in Michigan (like many of you), and I was feeling glum, worried, and scared.

As I often do, I decided to throw myself into my work. I had high hopes of finishing In the Face of Death™ which has already gone too long and I need to work on other titles. It is a great Dead Reign® sourcebook that I have been kicking ass on. Ah, but you know what they say about good intentions and the best laid plans. I ended up spending two and a half days rewriting and rewriting and rewriting the description and rules for Parkour and Zombie Survival Training. Changed them radically several times. On Sunday night I realized my God-only-knows how many rewrites were junk. That my initial, simple way to go was the right approach and that I had pissed away 2½ valuable days and still needed to do a corrective, final rewrite on them before I could move on the finish the rest. Hey, it happens that way on occasion. Sometimes you have to labor through multiple possibilities and different versions before you find the right solution.

Finally, I plopped myself in front of the TV feeling defeated and depleted. “What is the point of any of this?” Is how I felt.

Thankfully, even though I woke up to more televised gloom and doom — the same gloom and doom for weeks, really, and more gray skies and rainy weather — I had a new perspective. Kathy’s cheery and playful disposition helped on that front. So did finally working out in my head how Parkour and Zombie Survival Training NEEDS to work in order to augment existing Hand to Hand skills.

As I sat eating my breakfast feast of hot oatmeal sprinkled with cinnamon and sliced almonds, covered in fresh cut strawberries and raspberries (yum), I felt re-energized and more determined. I also realized that if I was feeling down, defeated, and scared, so might many of you. It made me want to reach out to you with some hopeful and comforting words and thoughts. I sure hope they help, if even just a little bit.

There is not a lot most of us can do. I’m fighting to keep the company going, the Palladium crew safe and positive, and keeping our RPG products shipping because I hope they help you forget your worries and fears.

Am I scared? Heck, yeah, I’m scared. Ironically, not so much about getting sick or dying – we are all being smart, self-isolated, and careful – but I’m worried about the fate of Palladium Books and the guys for sure. It’s scary. We don’t know how long any of this will last. How long retailers and distributors will be shut down, or how long many people – many of you – will be out of work. You have all kinds of worries and needs and problems of your own, why should you be buying our books? I understand completely, but it is cause for concern. These and all kinds of business related worries loom large.

That’s what makes this Covid-19 crisis so perplexing and scary for everyone: Not only do you have to worry about “the bug” and getting sick, but you also worry about paying the bills and employment, and in my case, taking care of my employees and freelancers, among others. It is a lot to deal with. As you all well know, because it’s stuff we are ALL forced to deal with right now.

My heart goes out to everyone. I wish magic was real and I could perform a magic ritual to cure everyone and make Covid-19 go away, or open a dimensional Rift to an alien world that has the cure and bring it back for everybody. But I can’t.

All we – and I mean all of us – can do is take the right actions to help and protect ourselves and our loved ones, be kind and understanding of others, be there for each other, and wait it out. The words of hope and encouragement in that Special Update, heck, all the Updates and these Murmurs, are me ... us ... trying to be there for you.

Hmmm. You know what? I do possess a little magic. And so do you. Our imaginations. I’m trying to use mine on a lot of different fronts. I encourage you to do the same.

Please never underestimate the power of imagination to bring light into dark times. Role-playing games and games of all kind, but especially RPGs, can transcend the here and now, and carry us away to places of heroes and wonder and laughter. Use it to transcend our current darkness, especially with your children and loved ones. But, we can all use a little escape to a happier, sunnier place, and role-playing can take us there.

When I think like this, I’m often reminded of the movie Life is Beautiful. Because life is beautiful and we need to remember that.

In the movie, an imaginative father turns the grim and deadly surroundings of a Nazi concentration camp into a game of imagination and pretense for his young son. The games and imaginings help keep the boy safe and shield him from the harsh reality all around them. More importantly, it gives both father and son time to laugh and play and be close for as much time as they may have together. Sound familiar?

We as gamers – role-players – can do that better than anyone. Use your gaming skills and vibrant imaginations to bring light and laughter to others. It’s easy. You have done it a million times already.

With Love and Respect,
– Kevin Siembieda
That Publisher Guy, Writer, Game Designer, Father & Friend

© Copyright 2020 Palladium Books Inc. All rights reserved. This Murmur release may be reprinted, reposted, linked and shared for the sole purpose of advertising, promotion and sales solicitation.

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”