Ports to other systems?

For talk about the award-winning videogame for Nokia's handheld device, the N-Gage!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Ports to other systems?

Unread post by Axelmania »

I wouldn't know where to get an N-Gage, it seems like they were discontinued 26 November 2005, less than 2 months after the 10 September 2005 release of Promise of Power.

I'm curious how feasible it might be for Palladium to acquire the rights from Nokia (they don't seem to be using them) to figure out if it might be possible to port this game to other formats like smartphones, facebook, steam, microsoft or google store, etc.

I don't know that people would want to pay much for it, but I'm sure a decent number would be willing to drop a buck or two on it as DLC.

It could help generate interest in Rifts as a dice game and also as a setting perhaps for some FPS or MMO in the future.

If it was downloadable for a modest fee I'm hoping they will have options not just for Windows but also Linux. Including 32-bit... I'm frustrated I can't use Steam since it's only linux port is 64-bit.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Ports to other systems?

Unread post by Orin J. »

As i understand it, the big problem is a legal one. palladium isn't the only one with a stake in the game's rights and the n-gage's rights agreeement has apparantly ensured anything exclusive to it stated that way. on top of that, corproate institutions have a nasty habit of overvaluing their own IP rights and not valuing anone else's meaning it'd require a lot of money for admittadly a game that was probably well out of date tech-wise when it came out. in 2005.

all that said, emulator groups don't care about legality and not a one has managed to crakc the nokia work. it's possible rebuilding the code for another platform would be far too much work (you can't pick the code up out of the OS it's build for and dump it blindly where you like.) given how impossible it sounds, i guess you may as well ask for a linux distro as well....who even has the rest of the rights to the game now, i wonder?

Return to “Rifts® Promise of Power™”