My Biotic

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

maasenstodt
Adventurer

My Biotic

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Just had our first Splicers session this evening and I rolled up a Biotic. Going in, I hadn't expected them to as martially impressive as some of the other classes, but as it turned out, thanks to a few good rolls (especially with regards to P.P. and P.E.), this fellow suprisingly became the group's combat monster.

With a P.E. of 30 and a Reinforced Exoskeleton, he has 330 natural MDC. With Bio-Force Field (150 MDC) and his living body armor (210 MDC) added in, and considering that everything is naturally regenerating (and, excepting the Force Field, pretty quickly at that), he is one tough cookie. Add the auto-dodge he gets from Motion Detection and he starts heading into munchkin land. An insane obsession with danger is like icing on an action-packed cake.

I usually play more "regular joe" type characters, so this guy is an interesting break from the norm. At any rate, however, I just wanted to share my situation and say that with a couple of good rolls, even one of the "weakest" characters in this game can be a relative powerhouse.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

This is a tad long, for which I'm sorry. Nonetheless, for those who have expressed interest, this is my character's sheet (I apologize as well for some formatting errors). He's a little on the wild side, but a lot of fun to play. :D

JAGDTIGER

OCC: 2nd Level Biotic
Alignment: Unprincipled
Sex: Male
Height: 6'
Weight: 230 lbs.
Background: 32 year old former criminal.
Disposition: Obsessed with danger. Wisecracker.
Appearance: Strongly built caucasian. Looks like a crimson samurai when equipped with armor and swords.

I.Q.: 10
M.E.: 15
M.A.: 9 (25% Trust)
P.S.: 30 (Splicer, Lift & Carry 750 lbs.)
P.P.: 22
P.E.: 30
P.B.: 13 (25% Charm)
Spd.: 36 (180 Yards/Round)

Natural MDC: 332
Regenerates 1d6 MDC / Round
Experience Points: 2000

Skills:
Basic Math 68+2% Boxing
English 78+1% Gymnastics
English Lit. 70+2% Fencing
Cook 45+5% Forced March
Fishing 50+5% General Athletics
Gardening 44+4% Outdoorsmanship
Sewing 50+5% Kick Boxing
Acrobatics Physical Labor
Balance 60+5% Running
Tightrope 60+5% Wrestling
Climb Rope 85+2% Bio-Comms 55+5%
Backflip 70+5% First Aid 50+5%
Climb 50% Rec. Weapon Quality 25+5%
Prowl 35% Wilderness Survival 35+5%

Biological Enhancements:
Advanced Eyes - See 1 mi., 2000' passive nightvision
Motion Detection - Detects at 30', 60' if fast/large
RADAR - 6 mi. (3 if obscurred), OK if blind
Interpret Shapes 50+5%
Estimate Distance 60+4%
Estimate Direction 60+4%
Estimate Speed 40+4%
Estimate Exact Location 50+4%
Bio-Comm - 6 mi. range
Enhanced Neurological Connections
Ambidextrous
Bio-Force Field - 150 MD, regenerates 1 MD/minute
Underwater Eyes - 600' vision underwater
Reinforced Exoskeleton

Combat:
Hand-to-Hand: Martial Arts
Attacks per Round: 8 Horror Factor: +2
Initiative: +7 Poison: +10
Strike: +6 Coma/Death: +25%
Parry: +9
Dodge: +9
Auto-Dodge: +10
Roll: +12
Damage: 3d6MD on Punch

Weapon Proficiencies:
Bio-Weapons: Light +1 Strike
Battle-Axe +1 Strike, +1 Parry
Blunt +1 Strike, +1 Parry
Paired Weapons
Quick Draw
Sword +2 Strike, +2 Parry, +1d6 Dmg.

Weapons:
Twin Acid Swords (Knife & Toothpick)
+8 Strike, +11 Parry
5d6MD +1d6/round for 1d4 rounds

Twin Short Concussion Staves (Spoon & Rolling Pin)
+7 Strike, +10 Parry
2d6MD, 45% chance of losing init. & 1 attack

Pod Pistol (Fork)
+2 Strike, 300' Range
3d8MD to 10' radius, 32 blasts/hour

Armor:
Chitinous Armor (Plate)
210 MDC, regenerates 6d6MD/minute
Bio-Energy Vent
+3 Strike on Aimed Shot, 1800' Range
2d8+30MD, 20 blasts/minute
4 Acid Nodules
60' Range
2d8MD for 1d8 rounds/nodule
6 attacks/hour/nodule

Equipment:
Clothes, Hat, Jacket, Survival Knife, Backpack, Tent, Bedroll, Waterskin, Aspirin, Comb, Soap, 2 Week's Rations

Money & Valuables:
11 Credits
30 Credits worth of Trinkets.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

You need to get some serious help there Geronimo. :p

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
TechnoGothic
Knight

low powered

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Thats a weak/Lower powered character ?!?!?!

Wow, loks like i need to check this game out ASAP...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Dude, if the human characters weren't powerfull, they'd be little blobs of goo in les than a second... even the most powerfull player charactrs in the game will get smeared into goo if they don't play it smart.

That may or may not be true depending on how the GM runs the game. Nevertheless, as I've mentioned previously, I think the fact that there are no lightweight characters (or even middleweight ones, for that matter) is one of the things the game is hurting for. I'd very much like to see a class for the typical soldier who isn't Mega-Damage himself, isn't supplied with special abilities or engineered creations, and who doesn't have powerful host armor.

I think a character equipped with nothing but basic weapons, standard armor with perhaps just a few minor enhancements, his skills and his wits would be quite interesting to play. Would he be vulnerable? In some situations, yes. But if he did die, at least you might create another without all the fuss that comes from designing host armor or whatnot from the ground up. :P
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I just want to know how you have +10 to AUTO DODGE. Thats insane. Dodge bonuses and auto dodge bonuses are different. you could have a +9 to dodge and a +1 to auto dodge, but that wouldn't give you a +10 to autododge.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

The Galactus Kid wrote:I just want to know how you have +10 to AUTO DODGE. Thats insane. Dodge bonuses and auto dodge bonuses are different. you could have a +9 to dodge and a +1 to auto dodge, but that wouldn't give you a +10 to autododge.

As someone who has played Palladium games since the 80's, I'm well aware of how dodge bonuses add and how they don't. In this case, the Motion Detection power provides a +4 auto dodge, Enhanced Neurological Connections provides a +2 auto dodge, and a P.P. of 22 gives a +4 bonus to any type of dodge. Thus, even without the numerous other bonuses to dodge that the character has, he has a +10 auto dodge.

Is it insane? Well, I'll leave that open to debate as I'm not sure how to answer that. Is it munchkin? Perhaps a bit, but there is nothing outrageous about it - the game was clearly designed to be high-powered. Is it fun when combined with 8 attacks per round and paired weapons? You bet! :D
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Having thought about my last response, I must admit that there is one area that I'm not clear on with regard to dodges - can you apply auto dodge bonuses to a regular dodge instead? Neither of the powers that I mentioned as supplying auto dodges also provide regular dodge bonuses. That being the case, I'd imagine that I could add that +6 to the character's regular dodge bonus.

What do you think?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

maasenstodt wrote:Having thought about my last response, I must admit that there is one area that I'm not clear on with regard to dodges - can you apply auto dodge bonuses to a regular dodge instead? Neither of the powers that I mentioned as supplying auto dodges also provide regular dodge bonuses. That being the case, I'd imagine that I could add that +6 to the character's regular dodge bonus.

What do you think?
No
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Aegis wrote:If I am understanding correctly then no you dont get to add in bonuses from skills and hand to hand skill to the auto dodge bonuses those are just for the regular dodge, unless its stated otherwise.

Aegis

You misunderstand my question. I fully realize that HtH and skill bonuses do not apply to auto dodges. What I want to know is whether powers that provide auto dodge bonuses also provide that same bonus to regular dodges if they do not mention any regular dodge bonus at all.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Geronimo 2.0 wrote:No, because auto dodge is more like an involuntary reflex, regular dodge is a deliberate action.

I don't understand why heightened reflexes that are fully taken advantage of in involuntary reflexive actions could not also be use voluntarily. Can you provide a real life example of this?

I'm sorry to sound skeptical but it seems to me that if a martial artist develops an awareness that allows him to avoid attacks effortlessly, when he makes an effort to avoid an attack he would be all the more difficult to hit.
The Galactus Kid

I didn't mean for my question to sound condecending, and I apologize if it did. I am waiting patiently for my copy of splicers, and I had no idea that there were that many things that added an auto dodge bonus. It sounds great. As for your question about auto dodge bonuses applied to dodge, as a GM I just wouldn't allow it. It may not make sense, but I still wouldn't allow it.
TechnoGothic
Knight

PP Dodge bonuses dont apply to Auto-Dodge either...

Only Skills/Powers that State clearly + to Auto-Dodge increases Auto-Dodge...

Just having an Auto-Dodge is great, it might not have the bonuses of a Normal Dodge, but its FREE and doesnt just up your actions...

I havent seen Splicers yet, so i cannot comment on the Powers as written above...

PP dodge bonus is for the Normal dodge though...

>02 cents added<
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

TechnoGothic wrote:PP Dodge bonuses dont apply to Auto-Dodge either...

Just having an Auto-Dodge is great, it might not have the bonuses of a Normal Dodge, but its FREE and doesnt just up your actions...

I havent seen Splicers yet, so i cannot comment on the Powers as written above...

>02 cents added<
actually in several books now, it states that the PP bonus is added to the Auto-Dodge.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
maasenstodt
Adventurer

TechnoGothic wrote:PP Dodge bonuses dont apply to Auto-Dodge either...

>02 cents added<

If you look at page 210 of Splicers, under the Automatic Dodge header, it says that "Bonuses to auto-dodge come from the character's P.P. attribute and any special bonus specifically for it."

That is not the only source of that rule. In Heroes Unlimited, on page 67, it says "When a character is trying an automatic dodge, only the automatic dodge bonuses and his P.P. attribute bonuses (if any) are used."
Last edited by maasenstodt on Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

The Galactus Kid wrote:I didn't mean for my question to sound condecending, and I apologize if it did. I am waiting patiently for my copy of splicers, and I had no idea that there were that many things that added an auto dodge bonus. It sounds great. As for your question about auto dodge bonuses applied to dodge, as a GM I just wouldn't allow it. It may not make sense, but I still wouldn't allow it.

Don't sweat it. I too was suprised to see the variety of powers that provide an automatic dodge. Heck, my Biotic doesn't even have the crown jewel of auto-dodge powers, Serpentine Lower Body. That provides a hefty +5 to automatically dodge attacks! You know, if my character ever manages to save up the requisite 60 BIO-E... yikes! :)
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

This sounds like a situation where a GM might need to step in with some caps on bonuses if things get out of control.
TechnoGothic
Knight

wow...

None of my books have the PP bonus added...
maybe its time to get new Editions ;)

So Splicers has tons of Auto-dodge huh...
...crazy man...

is the -10 to Dodge Modern Weapons rule still there *ducks*

i do need to order this book though...sounds interesting.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

maasenstodt
Adventurer

Mike Taylor wrote:This sounds like a situation where a GM might need to step in with some caps on bonuses if things get out of control.

It's an interesting problem. Clearly the game was designed with a mind towards providing characters with many advantages in order to deal with what could be an overwhelming enemy (one whose own bonuses aren't too shabby, incidently). And as I've mentioned earlier, there are no weak characters in this game.

Given that, I'd be interested in what people think about the question of if and when a cap on what characters can do should be placed.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

TechnoGothic wrote:wow...

is the -10 to Dodge Modern Weapons rule still there *ducks*

I'm not sure as to whether you're joking or not, so I'll simply state that the -10 penalty has been removed in what is a significantly revised combat system.
The Galactus Kid

From what I've heard, Splicers is RIFTS on crack. It is supposed to have some element of being combat oriented, more so than RIFTS, because that is the type of environment in which the characters find themselves. There is a list of things that I'm waiting eagerly to see.

1) New Physical skills
2) Revised combat system
3) Character Classes and creation tables
4) overall storyline

actually, I'm just looking forward to this book as a whole. The last time I was this eager about a standalone game, it was Systems failure, which my group has had a blast with, and still does during certain holidays.
The Galactus Kid

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111one111111eleven

MY GRABBAG JUST CAME IN, AND I GOT EVERYTHING I ASKED FOR, INCLUDING SPLICERS!!!
maasenstodt
Adventurer

The Galactus Kid wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111one111111eleven

MY GRABBAG JUST CAME IN, AND I GOT EVERYTHING I ASKED FOR, INCLUDING SPLICERS!!!

I'm quite interested to hear your take on the game given your comments to date.

While I quite agree that it is heavily combat oriented, but I also believe that there are numerous opportunities for good roleplaying presented in the material. I'd also have to say that the last new Palladium product that excited me this much was Systems Failure. Here's to a bright future for the Splicers line! :-D
The Galactus Kid

massenstodt, I would have to agree with you on systes failure. I truly enjoyed that game, even if it was released as somewhat of a joke. Let me get back to the topic.

SPLICERS IS AWESOME!!! As soon as I finished lunch yeasterday, I went over to my friends house and started rolling up characters. I really like the skill packages. It makes character creation go from about 45-50 minutes to 25-30 minutes (not counting host armor!!!) I rolled up a dreadlord while my friend rolled up a scarecrow. Both are fantastic class concepts, and we are both really pleased with our characters. My character started out with 269 bio-e (!!!) so I have really put alot of thought into my host armor.

First I thought about just getting as many things that raised my apm as possible, but since I have parasitic armor, I have deicded to slightly reduce the apm and get bio weapons that would make my character a walking tank. The variety of weapons and enhancements is mindnumbing, and I can't wait to actually use come of them. So now, I'm revamping my characters armor to not be totally munchkin, but to still take advantage of the 269 bio-e and be a valuable asset to our group.

I'm thrilled with the game. Thats all there is to it. Carl, you rock, and I can't wait to see more stuff. You may even see some RIFTER submissions from me on this. Thanks again, and a FANTASTIC job.
TechnoGothic
Knight

cool, i'm going to place an order later tonight.
i'll skip the grab bag this year...since i just want Splicers and the Neurauni Book...no big deal...besides it might arrive before chrismas this way ;)

a friend of mine ordered a Grab Bag back in October and it still hasnt arrived...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

HEY - The Galactus Kid, do you really want to see a grown man cry, it was Carmen Bellaire that wrote that one, not Carl. Ha, Ha, Ha - and to Carl - I guess we really do look alike, the fans can't tell us apart. Carmen :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rabidredneck
D-Bee

Unread post by Rabidredneck »

My only quibble with your character is your use of enhanced neurological connections, isn't that purely for host armors? There should probably be a "Enhanced Reflexes" modification for biotics and war mounts to use, but the description for ENC specifically states it modifies the host armors neuro interface and I can't see it being a general modification for non-armors.
That which does not kill me...is DEAD when I'm through with it!
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Rabidredneck wrote:My only quibble with your character is your use of enhanced neurological connections, isn't that purely for host armors? There should probably be a "Enhanced Reflexes" modification for biotics and war mounts to use, but the description for ENC specifically states it modifies the host armors neuro interface and I can't see it being a general modification for non-armors.

Almost every power in the book mentions being for Host Armors as oppossed to Biotics and such, so I simply assumed that one would have to substitute some words as appropriate in the powers' descriptions. In the case of Enhanced Neurological Connections, the power when used with Biotics would read "the Biotic's spinal cord and neurological connections to the body are modified to carry signals from the Biotic's brain to their body faster than normal."

Given the lack of any notes on the power for Biotics when other powers do make such notes (see Advanced Senses) and the fact that I don't see such a power as being at all inappropriate for the class (with your own statement that there should be something identical for them to use seeming to support my case), I don't see why it couldn't be used.
The Galactus Kid

AHHHHHHH
DUDE, I'm soooooooo sorry. Carmen, you deserve an amazing ammount of credit for what you have done. Splicers is a wonderful book full of amazing and wonderful character and game concepts. I'm sorry to have stated the wrong name. I met you at origins, and you were totally professional. I even ran a game in the same room as your Splicers game, and had to suffer while running my game but wanting so badly to be over at you table just to get a taste of Splicers. Ah, oh well. But now I get the oppurtunity to run the game with my group and others at our christmas party. Once again, I'm sorry.
TechnoGothic
Knight

ok, got my book.

WOW, yeah, Hellzyeah...Biotics are awesome.

i'd love more Bio-E points to work with, but thats Ok.
I'll just start off my players at level 9 or so with 3 levels of enhancements.
Said this in another point already though.

i gotta work one up later tonight.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

TechnoGothic
Knight

Re: My Biotic

maasenstodt wrote:Just had our first Splicers session this evening and I rolled up a Biotic. Going in, I hadn't expected them to as martially impressive as some of the other classes, but as it turned out, thanks to a few good rolls (especially with regards to P.P. and P.E.), this fellow suprisingly became the group's combat monster.

With a P.E. of 30 and a Reinforced Exoskeleton, he has 330 natural MDC. With Bio-Force Field (150 MDC) and his living body armor (210 MDC) added in, and considering that everything is naturally regenerating (and, excepting the Force Field, pretty quickly at that), he is one tough cookie. Add the auto-dodge he gets from Motion Detection and he starts heading into munchkin land. An insane obsession with danger is like icing on an action-packed cake.

I usually play more "regular joe" type characters, so this guy is an interesting break from the norm. At any rate, however, I just wanted to share my situation and say that with a couple of good rolls, even one of the "weakest" characters in this game can be a relative powerhouse.

BtW

Who goes this Character and Game ??
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Return to “Splicers®”